College Hockey

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

College Hockey

Unread post by TruePoint »

i was just flipping through the channels and saw PC is playing BU for hockey championship??? Did you guys know about this? I knew PC has a hockey team but I didn't realize they are good.

I'm glad they are playing BU. I have a degree from BU so I feel like it is totally legit for me to root for them. Go Terriers!
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: College Hockey

Unread post by ramster »

It's been a huge story in Rhode Island - PC going to the Four. Now tonight is the NCAA Championship in Boston.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

So like I said....I know nothing about hockey, especially college hockey. But how many NHL guys play college hockey? Like, will PC have NHL players like a national champion in football, basketball or baseball? Or is this like a club-sport level thing?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

College hockey is an odd sport, in that some schools that don't
usually come to mind, often win the whole thing.
North Dakota, Lake Superior State, Maine twice, Minnesota-Duluth,
Yale, and Union, to name a few.
PLENTY of NHL players come from the college ranks. It's not a club sport thing,
and I think you know that, but are playing Mickey The Dunce, for some reason.
Congrats to PC. They won a well deserved game tonight.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

BU has the #1 or #2 pick in the NHL draft, Gilies the PC goalie was also a draft pick of Calgary, it's not a club level thing
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I thought most NHL players came from the Junior Hockey in Canada. I thought maybe hockey was like soccer where the best guys don't play in college.

Also, don't overestimate my hockey knowledge. I can't name more than three or four NHL players that don't play in Boston.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

In 2011, 29.3% of NHL players were former collegiate players.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Cool. Regardless, my hats off to PC. I don't care if it is badminton, a national championship is nothing to sneeze at. Congrats to them.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

College hockey is very much a regional niche sport. Small schools can succeed and win the national championship in it as evidenced with Union College (2194 undergrads) in 2014 and PC (3850 undergrads) in 2015.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

TruePoint wrote:So like I said....I know nothing about hockey, especially college hockey. But how many NHL guys play college hockey? Like, will PC have NHL players like a national champion in football, basketball or baseball? Or is this like a club-sport level thing?
I think college hockey and baseball are somewhat comparable from the talent perspective. Meaning, plenty of players will skip it and go straight to the pros, but there are still plenty of players who will have professional careers at the collegiate level. It's not like pro/college tennis.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote:
TruePoint wrote:So like I said....I know nothing about hockey, especially college hockey. But how many NHL guys play college hockey? Like, will PC have NHL players like a national champion in football, basketball or baseball? Or is this like a club-sport level thing?
I think college hockey and baseball are somewhat comparable from the talent perspective. Meaning, plenty of players will skip it and go straight to the pros, but there are still plenty of players who will have professional careers at the collegiate level. It's not like pro/college tennis.
Jack Eichel of Boston University will probably be the 2nd pick of this year's draft. Noah Hannofin of Boston College is predicted to be the 3rd pick of this year's draft.

But the majority of 1st round picks do not usually come from the college ranks.

Still quite an achievement for New England to have two teams in the Finals of the Frozen Four.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2423 ... every-team
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: Still quite an achievement for New England to have two teams in the Finals of the Frozen Four.

It is the 2nd time in the last three years and fourth time in the last 20 years that two New England teams were in the finals. As a matter of fact, the New Haven-CT area had two teams face off for the championship just two years ago with Yale besting Quinnipiac.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Heartbreaking for BU, amazing luck for PC

b u goalie scores goal in ncaa chamoionship

Last edited by ramster 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Methinks this is pretty much a troll thread but who knows.....

There are a lot of hockey haters around these parts ha ha, I don't get it but then as you all know I am a big hockey guy....

This is huge for RI hockey and PC. Perhaps going forward Schneider Arena will have long lines outside just like you see in Durham....I hope so.

Well done PC.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Someday URI might join that club....the potential is there for them to have hockey success at a higher level.

Only if football is dropped though.....and maybe not even at that, according to Thorr...
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think its a big deal that they won. I watched the whole Frozen Four and thought it was remarkable how much the crowd wasn't into it.

Or at least nothing like a basketball game. People seemed to just sit there and watch. Especially at the 4 stage, the seats were very empty for PC's game against Omaha.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:I think its a big deal that they won. I watched the whole Frozen Four and thought it was remarkable how much the crowd wasn't into it.

Or at least nothing like a basketball game. People seemed to just sit there and watch. Especially at the 4 stage, the seats were very empty for PC's game against Omaha.
I thougth the same thing. I watched some of the game and the fans were so quiet and reserved - would never have guessed it was a Championship game.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:
ramster wrote: Still quite an achievement for New England to have two teams in the Finals of the Frozen Four.

It is the 2nd time in the last three years and fourth time in the last 20 years that two New England teams were in the finals. As a matter of fact, the New Haven-CT area had two teams face off for the championship just two years ago with Yale besting Quinnipiac.
See this is what I don't get about college hockey. Quinnipiac played in the finals? PC played a school called "Omaha" to get to the finals? I loved BU as a school, but they aren't exactly known for their athletics; yet somehow they seem to be pretty good consistently. Just seems like a rather odd mix of schools and gives the impression that it is not a sport that everyone is trying to win at. Like on par with wrestling or something.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

TruePoint wrote:
RF1 wrote:

See this is what I don't get about college hockey. Quinnipiac played in the finals? PC played a school called "Omaha" to get to the finals? I loved BU as a school, but they aren't exactly known for their athletics; yet somehow they seem to be pretty good consistently. Just seems like a rather odd mix of schools and gives the impression that it is not a sport that everyone is trying to win at. Like on par with wrestling or something.

College hockey is a regional niche sport. Only 59 schools play D1 hockey (351 play D1 hoops). Many smaller schools do exceptionally well. PC won the championship this season. Tiny Union College in Schenectady, NY won it last year (2014). The year before (2013), Quinnipiac lost to Yale in the final. Minn-Duluth won the championship in 2011 while Denver won in 2004 and 2005 and North Dakota in 2000. College hockey is one of the only sports where teams can play out of their normal division. D3 RPI plays it and was actually the champion in 1985. Other schools such as AIC, Bentley, RIT, Mercyhurst, Clarkson, St. Lawrence, Omaha, St Cloud State, Colorado College, Alabama-Huntsville, Alaska-Anchorage, Alaska-Fairbanks, Bemidjii State, Ferris St, Northern Michigan, Michigan Tech, Lake Superior St, and Minnesota St play D1 hockey while their other sports are in lower divisions.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:
Seawrightspostgame wrote:I think its a big deal that they won. I watched the whole Frozen Four and thought it was remarkable how much the crowd wasn't into it.

I thougth the same thing. I watched some of the game and the fans were so quiet and reserved - would never have guessed it was a Championship game.

The PC students in Providence were not so quiet and reserved after their win. As is sadly often the case after sports championships, young adults rioted in the area near the campus. The PPD and PFD had their hands full quieting things down and putting fires out.

It is probably a very good thing for the city that Ed Cooley can't seem to win NCAA Basketball Tournament games. I can only imagine what would happen if he did.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I never got the whole rioting after a win or loss, thing.
Just an excuse for drunken idiots to act out in a crowd.
Crowd mentality-mob mentality, makes people brave, because
they feel empowered and yet, unseen, by the crowd around them.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I never got the whole rioting after a win or loss, thing.

Times have changed however. These idiots are no longer so anonymous. With the advent of camera phones and social media, police can determine who these hooligans are. Several instigators at the Pumpkin Festival in Keene, NH last fall were later identified and charged. Sadly they ruined it for everyone else as the festival in Keene will not be permitted next year after a 24 year run.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Imagine playing EVERY game within 50 miles from campus in an NCAA athletics championship tournament.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

A national championship in any college sport is nothing to sneeze at........therefore, begrudgingly to the fans....but with sincerity to the players.....congratulations....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I guess pc is now officially a hockey school.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

rodfromcranston wrote:I never got the whole rioting after a win or loss, thing.
One of the The very premises of Nobel Laureate Elias Canetti's epic "Crowds and Power."

"It is protected from outside influences which could become hostile and dangerous and it sets its hope on repetition. It is the expectation of reassembly which enables its members to accept each dispersal."

RodfromCranston, Keaney Blue Laureate Extraordinnaire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also watched the Regionals and the Frozen Four and it was a great experience.

A great comment was made by someone at ProJo, which as much said that these 1,000-plus assholes who rioted have never set foot in Schneider Arena, student attendance is always lacking…...
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I agree the rioting is often the work of non-fans. A hell of a game. Club sport? Where ya been? I would imagine the greatest PC player would be Chris Terreri.
TruePoint, I'll assume you were lacing your comments in sarcasm. Well played.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Interesting reading on the PC Board on this issue. Many PC Posters think the actions were dispicable and are not pleased at all. Others tend to downplay the whole thing saying it is a right of passage, everyone else does it when they win national championships.
You can probably guess one of the PC Posters who defends the students......................
PC downplaying the party saying there were 1000 people while Providence police, fire department and State Police estimate 4000 - 5000.
20 stitches for the Policeman who was hit with a thrown vodka bottle.
What a disaster.

From the Projo:
Providence firefighters arrived to put out the fires, but according to police, they were stopped by the "unruly mob" filling the street, throwing bottles, jumping on cars, climbing telephone poles and even mounting the fire engine.
When the fire finally was extinguished, police began trying to disperse the crowd, which stretched the three-block length of Pembroke, and called additional patrols to the scene including Rhode Island State Police troopers.
It would take three hours for authorities to fully disperse the crowd.
Wild campus celebrations have become customary in the wake of major college athletic competitions for both the winning and losing schools.
But police said the Providence College celebration crossed a line when an unidentified individual hurled a 1.75-liter vodka bottle that struck Patrolman Michael Clary, opening a large cut in his head.
Clary was driven by ambulance to Rhode Island Hospital, where he received emergency surgery and 20 stitches to close the wound, according to the police report.

http://www.providencejournal.com/articl ... /150419752
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Like, the police and fire depts. had nothing better to do than deal with these assholes. What a disgrace.
How bad would it have been if the basketball team had won a title?

On a side note, I wonder who the first person was to associate a championship with fire?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Setting fires, rioting, etc. is bad enough. Interfering with emergency services is NOT a rite of passage unless your goal is to spend time in jail. If they can be identified, these hooligans should be prosecuted.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Excusing anyone, anywhere, of "kids being kids" is absurd.
Who burns a couch?
Funny, because anytime I saw PC hockey highlights there were always
more empty seats than occupied seats.
I wonder how many of these instant hockey fans ever set foot in Schnieder Arena?
Not singling out PC, because it seems rampant in other places.
Any excuse to be drunk and disorderly, I guess.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I hope the school doesn't put Bob Driscoll in charge of finding the person who threw the vodka bottle and sent the officer to the ER. If so, I am sure no one will ever be identified and the bottle throwing incident will be referred to as "alleged".

I don't have a lot of faith that justice will be served regarding this incident. It seems to me from past occurrences that there are a lot of crimes at or near PC that never seem to result in any charges. There somehow is never enough evidence and things are always classified as alleged with the supposed perpetrators still enrolled at PC walking around campus. The victims of these incidents seem to be an afterthought.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RF1 wrote:I hope the school doesn't put Bob Driscoll in charge of finding the person who threw the vodka bottle and sent the officer to the ER. If so, I am sure no one will ever be identified and the bottle throwing incident will be referred to as "alleged".

I don't have a lot of faith that justice will be served regarding this incident. It seems to me from past occurrences that there are a lot of crimes at or near PC that never seem to result in any charges. There somehow is never enough evidence and things are always classified as alleged with the supposed perpetrators still enrolled at PC walking around campus. The victims of these incidents seem to be an afterthought.
I don't think this is a problem unique to PC. All colleges attempt to minimize crime statistics, as do towns, cities, states and the federal government.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Per the news tonight, hundreds turned out this afternoon for the NCAA Hockey Championship celebration at Schneider Arena. I feel bad for the playerx and coaches that more didn't acknowledge their feat. From news reports, much bigger numbers turned out for the riot on Pembroke Avenue than for the official celebration on campus. Perhaps PC should have burned couches at Schneider as an enticement to get more students to attend. Their administrators apparently didn't have much of an issue with this practice finding it perfectly acceptable on Saturday night.
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I saw that on the news.
What a pathetic turnout. I guess unless there was booze
and mayhem, those people who rioted Saturday,
didn't show up at the real celebration.
Those players must've been saying, "We're national champs
and this is all who showed up?"
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:Perhaps PC should have burned couches at Schneider as an enticement to get more students to attend.
This should find its way into a Bill Reynolds column. There's no truth to the rumor that....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Got to love our old friend SeanMc who continues to trash our site and posters. He also thinks that the celebration was fine as posted on the PC Board.

seanmc94 wrote: No surprise that our neighbors to the South are comparing our national championship to a club sport win by "not everyone is trying to win".
One poster is calling the celebration disgraceful.
Please. There is more destruction on a random weekend in Bonnett than what happened Saturday night.
Not condoning throwing a bottle at a cop, but I maintain the celebration was fine

sean, one of the posters there did say he doesn't care what sport a school wins a NCAA championship in that he thought it was a very good accomplishment. Credit to that poster.
Who was it (RF1?) who kept calling it a "niche" sport? Unbelievable.
DarthFriar
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:Got to love our old friend SeanMc who continues to trash our site and posters. He also thinks that the celebration was fine as posted on the PC Board.

seanmc94 wrote: No surprise that our neighbors to the South are comparing our national championship to a club sport win by "not everyone is trying to win".
One poster is calling the celebration disgraceful.
Please. There is more destruction on a random weekend in Bonnett than what happened Saturday night.
Not condoning throwing a bottle at a cop, but I maintain the celebration was fine

sean, one of the posters there did say he doesn't care what sport a school wins a NCAA championship in that he thought it was a very good accomplishment. Credit to that poster.
Who was it (RF1?) who kept calling it a "niche" sport? Unbelievable.
DarthFriar
I have often called college hockey a regional niche sport on this site. Check any of the threads proposing URI start a D1 hockey program. My comment was not to discount D1 hockey because PC won its championship. Union College could have won it a 2nd consecutive year and my feeling about D1 hockey would have been the same. My comment was made because the sport is not really national in scope and it is confined to a relatively small number of schools (59), many of which don't compete in D1 for other sports. For reference - Twice as many teams (124) play D1 FCS (1AA) football as they do D1 hockey (59). More schools compete in men's D1 lacrosse (68).

The comments comparing the events on Pembroke Ave to any weekend down the line is absurd. I have previously lived in Narragansett and couch burnings were not occurring in the streets on random weekends as was implied by that delusional poster on the PC board.

It would seem that members of the PPD are not happy with the city and PC for the events of Saturday night. Their union has come out slamming both for poor planning and they don't seem too happy that PC downplayed the seriousness of the situation. The PPD diverted 60 officers to the PC area to help quell the melee leaving the rest of the city at risk with few officers available for any other incidents in the city.

Providence FOP: Hockey Melee Result of PC’s “Poor Planning”
Tuesday, April 14, 2015
GoLocalProv News Team

http://www.golocalprov.com/news/provide ... r-planning
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I think the bigger problem with the formal rally celebrating the team was how PC planned it then the turnout. Why on Earth would they schedule that during the workday? It's like they didn't want anyone to show up at Schneider.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Quote:
"Not condoning throwing a bottle at a cop, but I maintain the celebration was fine"

Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Disclaimer, I am a hockey guy....I want URI to have varsity hockey and think it absurd that we do not....on this I have been clear.

Further disclaimer, I don't like Providence College particularly (and I guess primarily) their men's basketball program.

Keeping the above in mind many of our comments in this thread that do not recognize Providence College accomplishing true greatness with this victory are ridiculous and worthy of the comments on the scout forum. I regret our Friar troll posters are currently banned and unable to defend their school.

(hrstrat57 defending Providence College on the Keaney Blue forum, the world is now upside down )

That is all.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I agree, no matter how many teams compete in the sport, being the best in the country is a big feat and it should be recognized.

Not condoning couch burning, but it has happened at dozens of schools before PC and will happen at dozens more after. Its an indictment of college culture or young people maybe, but nothing unique about the college culture at PC vs anywhere else.

The folks here who just obsess in their hatred of PC are the ones that fuel their fire. Besides Dec 5th they are just like any other mid major program on our schedule.
0 x