PC Italy Trip

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
ramster
Frank Keaney

PC Italy Trip

Unread post by ramster »

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... y-tour.ece

PC will be without Chukwu, Bentil and Lindsay on their trip to Italy. They will have only 6 Scholarship players and 2 walkons for the 3 games in Italy.
Lindsay has been sick. Must be pretty sick to not be able to make the trip scheduled for this Tuesday August 12t. Surprised that PC would not chose to fly Lindsay over once he is better as opposed to just saying he can't go. Could he meet up with the team in Florence or Venice or somewhere? seems strange.

Chukwu and Bentil have not been fully cleared by the NCAA yet. Would have thought PC and the NCAA would have gotten this all cleared up by now knowing that there was a Trip to Italy on the Horizon.

Donovan Mitchell drops PC and goes to Louisville after 3+ years of close recruiting by PC. Now PC gets a verbal from Jayvon Taylor, 6'3" guard from Beaver Country Day from the Class of 2017!!! Maybe Cooley learned his lesson the hard way here and is reaching out 3 years in advance - maybe thinking he should have gotten a verbal out of Mitchell 3 years ago.
Odd verbal as Taylor is not ranked in the Top 10 New England Players for the Class of 2017. Cooley doing some reaching here? Has been a tough summer for the Friars.
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... Taylor.php
http://friarbasketball.com/2014/08/10/j ... ts-friars/
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: PC Italy Trip

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think we need one thread to use as a catch-all for all Providence news (if people even cares). Do we need a new thread for every idle thought people have about another program?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Eastern Kentucky is going to Australia soon. Where is the thread on that?
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:I think we need one thread to use as a catch-all for all Providence news (if people even cares). Do we need a new thread for every idle thought people have about another program?
So let me get this straight TruePoint. We used to have a section just for PC. Then posters objected too this saying that PC info should be allowed to be posted freely, so we abolished the PC Section - to my objection by the way. Now you are proposing to create a separate PC Section or thread only for PC information again? Make up your mind.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

ramster wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I think we need one thread to use as a catch-all for all Providence news (if people even cares). Do we need a new thread for every idle thought people have about another program?
So let me get this straight TruePoint. We used to have a section just for PC. Then posters objected too this saying that PC info should be allowed to be posted freely, so we abolished the PC Section - to my objection by the way. Now you are proposing to create a separate PC Section or thread only for PC information again? Make up your mind.
STOP THE MADNESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

"Chukwu and Bentil have not been fully cleared by the NCAA yet. Would have thought PC and the NCAA would have gotten this all cleared up by now knowing that there was a Trip to Italy on the Horizon."

Maybe they should call "One-and-Done" (and a host of other Rhody Recruits) to check out Da Process.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:
How about if someone wants to post about PC, they go to the PC board? I don't think we need a PC section of a URI board, and I don't think we need to start a new thread every time the projo writes an article about PC. There is no inconsistency to that. I don't want to have a PC section because I don't think PC matters, and I don't want to see a bunch of PC threads because I don't think PC matters. I think we can contain any and all PC topics that anyone feels the need to discuss to one thread, and then we can avoid cluttering up the board with a bunch of nonsense unrelated to URI.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:Eastern Kentucky is going to Australia soon. Where is the thread on that?
Word
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote:Eastern Kentucky is going to Australia soon. Where is the thread on that?
so you are telling me that Eastern Kentucky going to Australia is of the same interest level as PC going to Italy minus 3 of their 4 Freshman plus the news that they just verbaled a kid from the Class of 2017?

Where were you when I was complaining about 8 different threads and about 800 posts about Ricky Ledo?
Then people complained that we had a section on PC but wanted to be able to have PC related items throughout our Board.

If you don't like it don't read it. I have seen much less interesting stuff posted about PC on this board than this - if there was a place to post it like there was in the past I would have put it there - but there is not.

Slow time of year, I thought it was interesting, sorry Adam that you and TP do not find it interesting in the least.

I'll not post any more to this thread.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

As a URI fan, an RI resident and college basketball fan, I do like keeping up with what our neighbors in Providence are up to. Like I don't think PC's Italy trip is the most scintillating piece of news out there but my biggest takeaway was that Chukwu and Bentil haven't been cleared. PC could really be in some trouble this year considering the losses of Cotton, Batts, Fortune. Cooley has shown himself to be a good coach and recruiter so far but PC looks poised to take a step back. Of course that is relative considering what they were able to accomplish last year compared to the previous ten.

Anyways, the thing that bugs me about the PC stuff on here is the inferiority complexes some people have about PC. Not in this thread but others some of you get so butt hurt about PC, it's crazy.

Are Chukwu and Bentil expected to be cleared?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Speaking of foreign trips, some schools get to go to fun places like the Bahamas and have their exhibition games on ESPN (Kentucky).

Other schools get to go to Canada (Fordham). No offense to the city of Montreal but yeah...
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

ace wrote:Speaking of foreign trips, some schools get to go to fun places like the Bahamas and have their exhibition games on ESPN (Kentucky).

Other schools get to go to Canada (Fordham). No offense to the city of Montreal but yeah...
Poor Fordham. :roll:
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
ramster wrote:
How about if someone wants to post about PC, they go to the PC board? I don't think we need a PC section of a URI board, and I don't think we need to start a new thread every time the projo writes an article about PC. There is no inconsistency to that. I don't want to have a PC section because I don't think PC matters, and I don't want to see a bunch of PC threads because I don't think PC matters. I think we can contain any and all PC topics that anyone feels the need to discuss to one thread, and then we can avoid cluttering up the board with a bunch of nonsense unrelated to URI.
So posts about our historically number 1 rival should all be done on the PC board? I assume that goes for the PC board with any comments they might have for URI?

Honestly true point, I thought information about 3 of our top rival's 4 incoming freshmen was a relevant and interesting point. Two not going because they have not been cleared by the NCAA yet and one because he is sick I thought was relevant news. Calling that "creating a new thread every time the projo puts a new story about PC" was uncalled for and over-dramatization Did you not grow up in Rhode Island? If not, then that might explain your view of PC being irrelevant to this board.

I'll put this thread in the "all other college sports" section NOT in the URI section so that people can avoid reading it and not waste their time. I suggest you simply not open the "all other college sports" section if you don't want to read non URI material and especially anything titled PC related. This would be better than your attempt at censoring posters from posting about PC, and a lot less stressful.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Chuckwu and Bentil are both exceptional student athletes who attended strong academic institutions. The hold up seems to be checking if they have played professionally. This has become a hot button for the NCAA in recent years(see Enis Canter, UK).
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Sorry ramster, you didn't do anything wrong. I just wish we would concern ourselves a little less with PC. That is my viewpoint personally, and not on behalf of the site. My thoughts here were more about how I wish the fan base would regard PC than about how the board operates. All Other College Sports is the right place for this thread.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Sean: Interesting that you used Canter as a comparison.... These NCAA investigations can often continue into the season. That would be bad for PC obviously.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ramster wrote:
so you are telling me that Eastern Kentucky going to Australia is of the same interest level as PC going to Italy minus 3 of their 4 Freshman plus the news that they just verbaled a kid from the Class of 2017?

Where were you when I was complaining about 8 different threads and about 800 posts about Ricky Ledo?
Then people complained that we had a section on PC but wanted to be able to have PC related items throughout our Board.

If you don't like it don't read it. I have seen much less interesting stuff posted about PC on this board than this - if there was a place to post it like there was in the past I would have put it there - but there is not.

Slow time of year, I thought it was interesting, sorry Adam that you and TP do not find it interesting in the least.

I'll not post any more to this thread.
You're too sensitive Ramster. Don't take it personally. I was making a joke. Post whatever you'd like anywhere you'd like, I promise I won't be losing any sleep over it!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I would be floored if they aren't cleared by the start of the season.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Knocking Montreal? The Paris of North America. Wow!
Montreal is a GREAT city. Granted, much of its charm would be lost
on 18 year olds, but a wonderful place.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

seanmc94 wrote:I would be floored if they aren't cleared by the start of the season.
if the NCAA truly cared about STUDENT-athletes they would have done everything possible to clear these students for the Italy trip. As Cooley has pointed out -- these trips are as much about the experience off the court as on. Shouldn't the NCAA be supporting this kind of educational experience?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

18 year olds will love Montreal...u can drink legally there! We used to drive up there a few times each summer between the ages of 18 and 21.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Justns11 wrote:18 year olds will love Montreal...u can drink legally there! We used to drive up there a few times each summer between the ages of 18 and 21.
Exactly! They may not get the city's charm, but they might meet a nice young lady named Charm in some of the best strip clubs in the world (so I hear, Ive never been to Montreal personally).
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote:Knocking Montreal? The Paris of North America. Wow!
Montreal is a GREAT city. Granted, much of its charm would be lost
on 18 year olds, but a wonderful place.
Montreal is a great city, but schools only get these international trips every four years. Montreal can practically be a road trip. The Canada experience is just going to be different than, and in my opinion not as good as, a trip to Italy, for example. If someone offers me a trip to Montreal or Lake Como, it's an easy choice. At least Fordham will have their whole team going, though.

As for the city's other "charms," y'all must have experience with different kinds of school sponsored trips than I've had. Or maybe not. Maybe Pecora and Severe are already making plans to hit up the clubs together.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

St. Catherines Street is an amazing cultural mix of anything you'd want.
Two hours to the East is the amazing historical gem. Quebec City.
Best restaurants and ambiance anywhere in North America.
The Isle de Orleans in the middle of the Seaway, is a great place to stay at a waterfront chateau.
You can watch giant ships pass by from your bed.
Another hour drive to the East from Quebec City is the Manoir Richelieu.
A castle on the St. Lawrence Seaway.
I love Quebec Province.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Iggy1979 wrote:
seanmc94 wrote:I would be floored if they aren't cleared by the start of the season.
if the NCAA truly cared about STUDENT-athletes they would have done everything possible to clear these students for the Italy trip. As Cooley has pointed out -- these trips are as much about the experience off the court as on. Shouldn't the NCAA be supporting this kind of educational experience?
C'mon, Iggy!!!!!!!! The NCAA is too busy creating the Super-5 so that they can all make even more moolah, and spending too much time in court with Eddie O'Bannon!!!!!!
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

bressler3south wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:
C'mon, Iggy!!!!!!!! The NCAA is too busy creating the Super-5 so that they can all make even more moolah, and spending too much time in court with Eddie O'Bannon!!!!!!
Oh, yeah!!!! The NCAA also travelled to K Street to hire itself a lobbyist for Capitol Hill…..how noble.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote:
I agree Iggy. It is a shame that these 2 players did not get to go to Italy. Trip of a lifetime for them, culturally, educationally, just a shame that they could not make a decision by now. They will have to make the decision in a relatively short time anyway as the season is not far away. Too bad for the individuals.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Rumor seems to be more of a visa issue and not a NCAA one. I hope this is accurate; bc I don't want to have PC's fate in the hands of the NCAA.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

How can there be two different versions of the problem with Cooley being quoted by McNamara about the clearinghouse??
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

This is a Non URI Post about PC - located in the Other College Sports Section - so those URI posters not interested please do not read any further;) ;) ;)

- Lindsay is home in Tennessee with mono
- Bancroft has a broken collarbone
- Have to confirm this but I believe Chuckwu and Bentil made the trip to Italy - not sure whether they can play or not but their first game is tonight so will know for sure soon
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

seanmc94 wrote:Rumor seems to be more of a visa issue and not a NCAA one. I hope this is accurate; bc I don't want to have PC's fate in the hands of the NCAA.
Not visa issues -- CLEARING-HOUSE ISSUES. That means that there are concerns about academic courses taken, fulfilled core course requirements, etc., There is also a question about each player's amateur status. This stuff can drag on for months -- or -- can be resolved whenever someone takes it off of the pile on the desk.
Didn't PC go through this with the "Bay Area Bug"??????
Someone in Kansas told me Dorothy and Toto haven't had time to review it yet…...
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

KMAC did say clearinghouse, but word out there in PC circles is that it revolves around their international visas. Many of the "insiders" on the PC site have gone out and said this, including Rich Coren. I don't think he would come out and make as direct a statement as "I have just confirmed from someone close to the situation that it is visa issues, not Clearinghouse issues that are the problem," if he didn't trust the person.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That's why they call it "spin" RJ. But in this case I tend to agree, they both came from solid academics. No non-Blue Blood ever wants their fate in the NCAAs hands.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PC wins their first game tonight 135 - 50.
No Bentil or Chuckwu

http://www.friars.com/sports/m-baskbl/s ... 14aac.html
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Leads me to believe the issue is not a visa but the clearinghouse......
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

If you read the original article, it's Cooley who is quoted and states that it is an NCAA issue….How much more "inside" can one be???????????????????????????? (Unless he's getting his info from the Friar Board!)
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

McNamara lied in the article.....he made up the quote by Cooley .... It is a visa issue... Trust me
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Ramulous wrote:McNamara lied in the article.....he made up the quote by Cooley .... It is a visa issue... Trust me
If you're not being facetious, then McNamara will get the cold shoulder from Cooley for a long time "for lying," unless he was purposefully told to lie…..
???????????????????
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I am being facetious......they take the kids to Italy but they don't play in the first game? And it's a visa problem?

Why are the friars afraid to tell the truth to their fans ?

I don't think McNamara is lying....
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Um, to my knowledge Chukwu and Bentil didn't travel with the team ... They rode the team bus the day of the trip to NJ to attend a practice held at Seton Hall. Haven't heard or seen anything to the contrary of that. I thought it was weird they would bring them to practice, but so far 0 of the team pictures, videos, etc. from Italy have shown those frosh.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Here's the team photo……Take a look…….
http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/371151/file ... 8210758410
Last edited by bressler3south 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

A FRIAR FAN'S GUIDE TO FLORENCE

Called the "Athens of Europe,”
Florence is most famous for it’s history. Medieval Florence was one of the wealthiest cities, as it was a center for trade and finance. It is no surprise, then, that Florence is now known as the birthplace of the medieval Renaissance.

I KNOW IT'S NOT THE FRIARS' MISTAKE, BUT THIS MADE ME LAUGH HYSTERICALLY!!!!!!!!!!!

Athens, Greece = Asia? Africa? Antarctica? Australia? The Americas????

Hope the author is not a PC alum. You know, the mandatory Western Civ…...
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bressler3south wrote:Here's the team photo……Take a look…….
http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hub/371151/file ... 8210758410
Correct, neither Bentil or Chukwu is in that photo.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I like Montreal. I'm surprised a cheapskate program like Fordham would even pay to go that far. Surprised it's not Worcester.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Since this is a PC thread:
Rodney Bullock out for the season. He's been on campus for
over a year, and will not have been in a game at least until next season.
Bentil still not cleared to play.
If he's not eligible, coupled with Bullock's injury, PC's front court is
weaker than anticipated. This was supposed to be their strong point.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Since this is a PC thread:

Bullock-First the alleged rape/suspension and now an injury. Will he ever see the floor?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

PC has been snakebitten on several levels in the Cooley era.
He brings in highly rated players, who for one reason or another, just
can't seem to get on the court.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Since this is a PC thread:

Bullock-First the alleged rape/suspension and now an injury. Will he ever see the floor?
Bullock tore his ACL in practice.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Bullock was never accused, charged of rape.

Tough break with the knee injury. He was playing well in practice and was tabbed to play a key role. PC needs Bentil to be cleared ASAP.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think Bentil is in a similar boat as Oneykaba was as an
incoming freshman.
Issues with schools attended in Africa, and how much transfers to American high school and prep schools.
More NCAA red tape.
0 x