PC Italy Trip

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: PC Italy Trip

Unread post by RF1 »

seanmc94 wrote:Bullock was never accused, charged of rape.

It was my understanding that he was investigated by the police and justice system for sexual assault per a complaint by a PC co-ed. I never wrote that he was charged. I wroted "alleged rape". At any rate, I don't think there is any question that something DID OCCUR. The super secretive PC administration found enough cause to suspend him for a year. The fact that the other person involved with him in this incident later had similar problems at a 2nd college within months also doesn't help his case. I therefore choose to refer him as an "alleged rapist" and will continue to do so as this description seems accurate.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Hard to feel too bad for the Friars, but on a personal level I feel bad for Cooley. Other than Ledo, none of the problems he's run into getting guys on the court have been foreseeable. That he's still managed to win the league and go dancing is a real credit to his ability as a coach.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

RF1,

Nothing super secret about it. Providence police investigated it and came to the conclusion that there was nothing there. Btw, being accused of sexual assault and rape are very different. Continuing to refer to someone who was never even formally charged as a rapist is ignorant at best and malicious at worst.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

seanmc94 wrote:RF1,

Nothing super secret about it. Providence police investigated it and came to the conclusion that there was nothing there. Btw, being accused of sexual assault and rape are very different. Continuing to refer to someone who was never even formally charged as a rapist is ignorant at best and malicious at worst.

I never saw where the Providence Police came out and publicly stated there was nothing there. I seem to recall reading that there was insufficient evidence to bring forth charges that could be properly prosecuted. That is a far different thing than there was nothing there. Are you insinuating this poor PC coed fabricated the entire story? I would think that completely whitewashing someone's transgressions and basically insinuating that the victim lied is what is really malicious. I myself merely wrote alleged rape. If it makes you feel better, I will refer to him as the PC player accused of alleged sexual assault.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Sean, don't bother...
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Sean, since the PC administration saw fit to suspend him for a year, there had to be "something there".

Don't bullshit a bullshitter. Doesn't work, never will.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don't think they use the word rape anymore.....you are charged with sexual assault....and then there are degrees of sexual assault....the worst being 1st degree....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Actually, sexual assault can be someone groping someone, which is
far different than rape.
Remember when Julian Edleman was briefly accused of doing that in a club a couple
of years ago?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

The degrees range from groping up to the most heinous of sexual assaults.....all called sexual assault........differences in degree also vary depending on the age of the victim...the use of force.....the use of drugs or alcohol to negate consent....etc....

You don't get charged with "Rape".....you get charged with "1st Degree Sexual Assault"......I believe Austin and Bullock were accused of Sexual Assault by the alleged victim....I don't know the degree.....the evidence did not warrant a charge of Sexual Assault.....

So they were accused but never charged or indicted.....they will always carry the tag of "accused" , however, for the rest of their lives....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Ramulous wrote:You don't get charged with "Rape".....you get charged with "1st Degree Sexual Assault"......
Right
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Are the Fwiahs still in Italy?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

PC has as many questions (if not more) than most other teams starting the season on the bubble.

While acknowledging their youth, I think they hoped their depth would allow them to plug different pieces together and take advantage of the "off" nights young guys are more likely to have.

Bullock is a big loss (think younger version of Henton), but experts high on Bentil. 6'9, can elevate, muscular. Plays more around the rim, needs to work on perimeter game.

Getting him eligible plays more into the idea that PC can be a Top 25 defensive team to help hide the offensive deficiencies.

It's amazing a coach has had as many issues getting players healthy/eligible.

Cooley's 4-year recruits/transfers ...
LaDontae Henton - Strong 4 year career
Kiwi Gardner - Ineligible, left after one season
Sidiki Johnson - Top 100 transfer, left school after 11 games
Kris Dunn - Top 25 recruit, Shoulder issues, on campus 2 years, 29 career games
Ricardo Ledo - Top 25 recruit, Ineligible, left after one season
Ian Baker - Tore ACL before freshman year, never enrolled
Josh Fortune - Keno recruit Cooley retained, 69 career games, transferred in May 2014
Carson Desroisiers - Top 60 transfer, mid-tier BE player
Tyler Harris - Top 150 transfer with 3 years of eligiblity, likely leaving after junior year
Brandon Austin - Top 50 recruit, never plays game, alleged assault, transfers
Rodney Bullock - Top 150 recruit, never plays game, alleged assault, suspended for year, tears knee
Ben Bentil - Borderline Top 100 recruit, eligibility issues from Ghana
Paschal Chukwu - Top 75 Eligible
Jalen Lindsey - Top 75 Eligible
Kyron Cartwright - Borderline Top 250 eligible
Tyree Chambers - German prospect
Alex Owens - Top 100 prospect '15
Drew Edwards - Top 125 prospect '15
Ryan Fazekas - 3 star prospect '15

Cooley needs some of these eligible/prospects to become big players. They can be, if they are on the court.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

"Cooley needs some of these eligible/prospects to become big players. They can be, if they are on the court."
COULD BE…….
You know, that's some list. But, that's what it is. A list. It's the list of "Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda."
If Tyler Harris thinks that he's NBA-bound after his junior season, he's delusional.
No offense, he's getting a free education, take advantage of it. What, a fifth-year grad student somewhere?
At best, he'd be a marginal EuroLeague player.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

bressler3south wrote:"Cooley needs some of these eligible/prospects to become big players. They can be, if they are on the court."
COULD BE…….
You know, that's some list. But, that's what it is. A list. It's the list of "Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda."
If Tyler Harris thinks that he's NBA-bound after his junior season, he's delusional.
No offense, he's getting a free education, take advantage of it. What, a fifth-year grad student somewhere?
Think you are getting a little ahead of yourself.The kid was a major piece of an NCAA team as a sophmore and Cooley says he has improved as much as anyone on the team.Kid will play a major role this year with no Cotton or Batts.Not saying he will be NBA bound but I can see him putting up big numbers this year.

BTW There is a publication that has him as a 1st rounder after his senior year for what ever that is worth.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Harris has the length and size NBA scouts drool over.

The matter is whether he develops enough skills to capitalize on his body. Needs to tighten handle, improve decision making, first step, and consistency from the perimeter. Size can hide some athletic deficiencies, but not the skills. Some are easier to improve than others, improvements mean he is in line for a very good junior season.

That said, rumors have said that this is likely it at PC. NBA or Europe, he's going to have his degree and then going to make some $$.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Ummmmmm, that's a lot of deficiencies. He had a pretty good year last season, but was inconsistent, lacks physical strength, MAKES A LOT OF BAD DECISIONS, has a very (s)low Quickness Quotient: gets exposed one-on-one defensively out front from 20-25 feet because he lacks lateral quickness….
When he matches up against NBA SMALL FORWARDS, it will be as if his sneakers are nailed to the floor.
He'a pretty good college player.
And even last season he was out-muscled underneath by shorter players.
He's the Poorest Man's Version of Tayshaun Prince, who had/has the attributes you listed.
Then again, he'll probably become NBE POY, average 30+ppg, 17 rebounds, and 11 assists and get drafted #1 overall as 31 NBA GMs trade multiple picks for his rights, slippin' an' slidin' on all of the drool that made it to the floor to get him.

No wonder this thread is still Fwiahs Summer Trip in Italy. Maybe he'd average those numbers there…..
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

bressler3south wrote:Ummmmmm, that's a lot of deficiencies. He had a pretty good year last season, but was inconsistent, lacks physical strength, MAKES A LOT OF BAD DECISIONS, has a very (s)low Quickness Quotient: gets exposed one-on-one defensively out front from 20-25 feet because he lacks lateral quickness….
When he matches up against NBA SMALL FORWARDS, it will be as if his sneakers are nailed to the floor.
He'a pretty good college player.
And even last season he was out-muscled underneath by shorter players.
He's the Poorest Man's Version of Tayshaun Prince, who had/has the attributes you listed.
Then again, he'll probably become NBE POY, average 30+ppg, 17 rebounds, and 11 assists and get drafted #1 overall as 31 NBA GMs trade multiple picks for his rights, slippin' an' slidin' on all of the drool that made it to the floor to get him.

No wonder this thread is still Fwiahs Summer Trip in Italy. Maybe he'd average those numbers there…..

Once again last year was the kid's first year getting any kind of playing time and did ok. Think you have to wait at least half of this season to really have an idea if it will be the nba or europe in his future.You have to admit the pedigree is there though.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

woodennickel1 wrote:
bressler3south wrote:"Cooley needs some of these eligible/prospects to become big players. They can be, if they are on the court."
COULD BE…….
Think you are getting a little ahead of yourself.The kid was a major piece of an NCAA team as a sophmore and Cooley says he has improved as much as anyone on the team.Kid will play a major role this year with no Cotton or Batts.Not saying he will be NBA bound but I can see him putting up big numbers this year.

BTW There is a publication that has him as a 1st rounder after his senior year for what ever that is worth.
Wonder what that publication is saying about Harris now. The guy has lost his starting position to a freshman and Friars get beat by a so so Marquette squad. Lindsey plays horribly today so maybe Harris can earn a starting spot back.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

The friars play well when they are fired up for a game.....it seems the Rhode Island game is one of those.....they should get fired up for some of their other games....
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

PC basically goes where Kris Dunn goes.

MQ did some things to frustrate Dunn and the team suffered.

27 turnovers to just 25 assists in 4 losses.

Henton can't do it alone. Friars need others to step up around him.

Harris is the easy one. The freshmen have struggled collectively.

If they come out like fire and win tonight though, all is forgotten.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Cooley will figure it out. There's talent there, but
Bentil and Chukwu are pretty raw, and Lindsay is adjusting
to the college game, so it'll take time.
PC is also a different team at the Dunk, than on the road.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

It's interesting Rod.

PC is clearly a different team at the Dunk, then on the road.

But they have been great on a neutral court, which is weird. Notre Dame could be a Top 10 team by next week, and Miami trying to get back on the bubble.

I know Mohegan was a quasi-home game, and PC traveled well to Barclays, but PC sucked at BC, and that was with a very favorable PC crowd.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Except for Brown. PC for some reason always struggles with them, whereas we usually blow them out.

I really think us and PC are very close this season. PC has more opportunities to help their RPI in conference than we do. They can afford a few more losses for that reason.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PC lost to Brown at home
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

rambone 78 wrote:Except for Brown. PC for some reason always struggles with them, whereas we usually blow them out.

I really think us and PC are very close this season. PC has more opportunities to help their RPI in conference than we do. They can afford a few more losses for that reason.
Pc has seven wins over teams with an rpi in the top 100 and two bad losses.URI has zero top 100 wins and zero bad loses. PC's strength of schedule is at 17 and may stay the same or go down a little with conference play starting and URI's 79 will probably go down a little bit.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

We beat a ranked team. Has to count for something, otherwise why rank teams. PC has no wins over a ranked team yet. And I believe we totally demoralized Nebraska into what they are now.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

The friars beat Notre Dame this year....I believe they are ranked...
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

theblueram wrote:We beat a ranked team. Has to count for something, otherwise why rank teams. PC has no wins over a ranked team yet. And I believe we totally demoralized Nebraska into what they are now.
Even if you are right that URI totally demoralized Nebraska into a puddle of mush, unfortunately there is no category for demoralizing victories at the end on the resume. All that will matter is where teams stand come Selection Sunday. When you look at URI's resume right now, it says "Top 25: 0-1, RPI 1-50: 0-3, RPI 51-100: 0-0." Taking RPI's out of it, a committee will look more favorably on "Top 25: 1-1, RPI 1-50: 3-1, RPI 51-100: 4-1."

Has URI been a more consistent team and avoided pitfalls that have gotten the Friars? Absolutely. But at the end of the day, PC should easily be able to negate their "bad losses" because a) the have some notable wins away from home and b) their SOS. URI's biggest issue will be quality play away from home.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Glad to see that PC is still in Italy!!!

Also, RELATIVELY SPEAKING, when PC defeated Notre Dame, the Irish were not ranked. When URI defeated Nebraska, the Corn Dogs were ranked #21 in both major polls.
But, yes, according to RPI, it is what it is……..
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

There is no debate in my mind that the friars are in excellent position for an NCAA bid with their excellent RPI and the strength of the big east this year.....the loss to Brown will be of no consequence to the friars......Rhody is in poor position because our RPI is not good enough and cannot get good enough to win an at-large bid......we have to win the A-10 regular season championship or win the tournament champion auto-bid.....

Anyone who thinks otherwise is not thinking clearly in my humble opinion......
0 x