Fox To Make Major Acquisition?

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Fox To Make Major Acquisition?

Unread post by TruePoint »

Not sure what this has to with anything, but slow news day so I'll bite.

Even if Murdoch is able to wrest control of TWC, that isn't going to help the Big East. Right now the Big East is among the flag ships on a network nobody watches. If suddenly people do start watching, it will be because that network adds a bunch of more valuable properties. Meaning: the network's viewership will increase, but the new viewers will be watching other things (namely things they are already watching). The Big East will remain the Big East - a conference people used to care about when it included teams people care about.

Further reading if anyone is interested:

http://deadspin.com/how-rupert-murdoch- ... 1607116901
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Agree TP. This is more about FS1 becoming a better sports network then the BE. The better the content, the more people who watch. Get the crap games off of FS1, and put them on FS2. Ratings overall will grow. It helps the BE that primetime matchups will have more eyes, but not necessarily the conference overall. Casual interest in the network leads to increased ratings though. If PC and URI played on ESPN right now, and on FS1 tomorrow, ESPN would have 4/5x the viewers. This is about trying to bridge the gap, since so many people are sick of ESPN, but have no other options. Getting the ins though means the station will continue to grow, rather than becoming stagnant with mediocre ratings like CBS and NBC. The key is that someone like Murdoch is willing to invest and pay the money to improve the product, rather than sit and pray like the other smaller networks.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Is the BE the only CBB programming for Fox? Would they look to add? A10? Play the leagues off each other?

Makes too much sense to me just because ESPN has its leagues and does everything it can to promote them. You can't compete with a single league. If you have 3-4 leagues and promote them as great, then you are doing something.

I still remember the advertisement for Steve Francis' Maryland teams first game. It played all day everyday.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

FS1 owns all the rights to the BE and partial rights to the Pac-12 (basketball/football), and B12 (football). They own no preseason tournaments, but do have a stake in the Big 10 due to the B10 network which they help produce, and at this point that does not carry over to FS1, except for the BE/B10 challenge they were able to put together. That is part of what makes the TW deal a big one if they can pull it off, in addition to NBA/B10 rights that also go up for bid in the next few years. The other major leagues have rights deals that extend for a long way off.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Steve Francis. He could go JUCO on you in a heartbeat.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Is the BE the only CBB programming for Fox? Would they look to add? A10? Play the leagues off each other?

Makes too much sense to me just because ESPN has its leagues and does everything it can to promote them. You can't compete with a single league. If you have 3-4 leagues and promote them as great, then you are doing something.

I still remember the advertisement for Steve Francis' Maryland teams first game. It played all day everyday.

Fox also has the Pac 12 I believe.
0 x