UConn Women

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

UConn Women

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Did I dream this or did someone post a while back that his Smithfield High boys team could beat the UCONN women? I can't find the thread. Hope this guy wasn't driving that night.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Just wondering ...

Unread post by TruePoint »

Um...not to get into this again, but that was our JV team my freshman year, which was also the middle school state champion the prior year and 4-time NE CYO champion and future RI D1 state champion. And I stand by it. We were bigger, faster and stronger than a college women's hoops team as 9th and 10th graders and at least as skilled.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: UConn Women

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

And more delusional than someone on an LSD trip, talking out
of his ass.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I am not talking out of my ass. I explained this at length in the other thread, but maybe you can explain to me how a team of smaller, slower and less athletic people is going to beat a bigger, stronger and more athletic group of people that is also just as skilled? But you know, keep believing whatever makes you feel good.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yup, some stinking Rhode Island CYO team.
We all know how dominant players from RI CYO and JV teams are.
Wow!
Yeah, whatever.
Let me tell you when me and my friends took over the Pentagon......
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Maybe you missed the part where I said the same team won the state championship as seniors? I just thought it wouldn't be fair to talk about that team. As freshmen we would have beat them. We also routinely beat our varsity team in practice. And yes, CYO isn't famous for being great basketball, except we beat most RI teams by 50, didn't lose a game for two years and beat inner-city teams from Boston and Hartford to win NE championships, not once but four different times. I was there. I've seen both teams play. I think we would beat them.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Rosie wins. He successfully stirred the shit.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

All true! Friar Rosie beat the UConn women single handedly!
Did I tell you about when I could have beaten Chuck Norris.........
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

And how many people from this team played college ball? Or in any pro league? Have you actually seen the UCONN women? But we all remember those legendary Smithfield teams. Actually, only True Point does.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

We had college players on our team. I'm not discussing this anymore. I know that I'm right; you guys want to make pretend that women could beat men in a contact sport. It is a laughable premise, but you can believe what you want and I'm surely not going to convince you otherwise.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Again, have you seen the UCONN women? Female athletes are far more skilled than they were when I was a kid. Would they beat the UCONN men's team? No. A bunch of nobodies from the hockey town of Smithfield? You bet.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

What about a team of slightly less than human intelligence cyborgs?
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think Godzilla could beat UConn women, easily!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I don't know, he is so big it would be tough to keep a foot outside the paint to avoid constant 3 second calls!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Plus, his breath is pretty lethal, too.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

adam914 wrote:I don't know, he is so big it would be tough to keep a foot outside the paint to avoid constant 3 second calls!
He probably can't execute a crisp bounce pass to Mothra, so clearly, the fundamentals of the UConn women would overwhelm him.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SGreenwell wrote:
adam914 wrote:I don't know, he is so big it would be tough to keep a foot outside the paint to avoid constant 3 second calls!
He probably can't execute a crisp bounce pass to Mothra, so clearly, the fundamentals of the UConn women would overwhelm him.
#Analysis
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Any state championship boys HS team from RI would beat uconn. There's a reason they use dudes as practice fodder at top women programs.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Bullshit.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

seanmc94 wrote:Any state championship boys HS team from RI would beat uconn. There's a reason they use dudes as practice fodder at top women programs.
It is absurd to argue otherwise. I can see being impressed by good women's players when they play against other women. I don't think some of these guys realize the dramatic difference in physicality. Also, good men's high school players are every bit as skilled as good women college players. You guys are showing your ignorance.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

In the interest of sparing TruePoint further humiliation, I am moving on. Guys like Rod can recall Billie Jean King vs. Bobby Riggs. The thinking still exists.
0 x
Rhodekill
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodekill »

just stumbled on this thread...wow...absurd beyond belief....
0 x
"What happens next is going to be big and it's going to be beautiful "
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Ramblinrose wrote:In the interest of sparing TruePoint further humiliation, I am moving on. Guys like Rod can recall Billie Jean King vs. Bobby Riggs. The thinking still exists.
If you want to take the gender out of it, I mostly view this as an argument over when crisp execution is overwhelmed by physicality and talent. Muddying the issue is that there aren't really any stable data points for either side to use - It's mostly anecdotes as evidence, and the plural of "anecdote" isn't really data. I personally skew more toward TP's side, because I think if a WNBA team thought they could hang with, for example, an NBA team, they would have had that exhibition already because it would have been a boon to the league.

I don't think anyone here IS arguing that a WNBA team beat a NBA team, so once you concede that, it's just a matter of where you want to put the goalposts. Could a good WNBA beat a good D1 college team? Could UConn give a game to a low D1 college program? Could a HS All-American team beat UConn? Obviously, that's where the opinions diverge.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-ba ... l-mtt.html

Take a look at the roster. The guards are all 5 ft 7-9. No way they can give up that much height and weight to guys. They would lose to the top team from RI every year. Let's take the year BHHS had Ledo and Baron. That team would pound them. The McDs AA boys team would annihilate them by 30. No one plays above the rim on the female side.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Guess you've never heard of Brittany Griner.
Now chauvinists are talking about playing an NBA team.
Just idiots.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Brittany Grier is on the uconn roster?

Let's make this simple. 2013-14 uconn women vs. 2014 McDs AA team. Pick a side, and if you lose you have to give away your dog. Who are you taking?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We've discussed this crap ad nauseum last month.
There are more important issues on this board to talk about.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yeah, like what we want on our pizza for the Terrell waiting room.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The UConn women would be better passers, better shooters, and better in fundamentals.

The McD AA's would, however, simply destroy them on the boards, and make it hard for the women to get open shots because of their athleticism and speed.

It would be layup and dunk practice for the men, and the women would make a few 3's.

Not close, imo.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

rodfromcranston wrote:We've discussed this crap ad nauseum last month.
There are more important issues on this board to talk about.
You had zero problem discussing it until you got boxed into a corner. Answer the question.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

No one said McDonald's. I was referencing some forgotten team from Smithfield ... a hockey town.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ramblinrose wrote:No one said McDonald's. I was referencing some forgotten team from Smithfield ... a hockey town.
I really was not trying to go here with you, but if you want to keep this discussion going I will answer this stupidity. First of all, my whole point is that any above-average high school boys team could beat a women's college team because of the dramatic physical differences. But I feel obligated to also disabuse you of your ignorance since you keep bringing up Smithfield as a "hockey town." I grew up in Smithfield and it is decidedly not a hockey town. I don't know where you are getting that from, but it is wrong.

Just in looking at my grade, the team we had in 8th grade had the following:
- A D1 scholarship PF
- The future RI HS POY on a state championship team, who only didn't play D1 because of debilitating knee issue, but was recruited by D1 programs
- A D1 soccer player
- A D2 football player who started at TE in college for four years
- A D1 baseball player coming off the bench
- Another D2 football player
- Me

And a quick note on me (I really, really don't want to turn this into a discussion about myself, but I think you should know my resume in terms of playing and also seeing talent up close so hopefully you will understand I am not talking out of my ass here). During my high school and AAU career, I played on teams with the following guys:

- Tony Robertson (D1 - UConn)
- TJ Sorrentine (D1 - Vermont)
- Mike Williams (D1 - St. Joes)
- Steve Mello (D1 - URI)
- Greg Collucci (D1- George Washington)
- Lawrence Young (D1 - Rider)

I started on AAU and high school teams with very good players. I was even lightly recruited myself during my junior year when I was one of 3 underclassmen selected to play in the RIHoops.com all-star game. That summer I was invited to a showcase in Wisconsin that was specifically for low-D1 and D2 prospects to play in front of low D1 and D2 coaches. A lot of guys out of that showcase got D1 offers, including Taylor Coppenrath, who was on my team at the showcase. In the end, I did not have a great senior year and had no committable D1 offers and decided not to chase my dream to a D2 school and went to URI instead. While I was at URI, I also coached an AAU team that had future D1 players (including Jamee Jackson who played at Quinnipiac). So I have seen good basketball up close. I know what it looks like.

Now, the reason I said that my team as freshmen could have beat UConn is because that team did not stay together. I moved after my sophomore year. Two of our starters on our 8th grade team (which went a combined 84-0 between school league and CYO and won state and new england championships) went to private school. So...we lost 3 starters from that team and our best player battled a degenerative knee issue his whole career, and there was STILL enough talent left in Smithfield to win a D1 state championship. And for good measure, the town also produced Mike Marra who played at Louisville shortly after we graduated and even though he went to prep school, Smithfield was STILL good enough to win another state championship. The starting PG at Smithfield during my freshman year is now a coach on a D1 bench. I don't know where the idea that Smithfield is a hockey town even comes from. Maybe because there is a rink there? But the best athletes played basketball (I honestly don't think I knew anyone in my grade that was on the hockey team - they were invisible to my recollection) and I don't think Smithfield has ever even been good at hockey. Maybe you've confused us with North Smithfield?
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Maybe. I believe Mazzula is from Johnston and played at WVU.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Ramblinrose wrote:Maybe. I believe Mazzula is from Johnston and played at WVU.
I was trying to say Mike Marra and had a brain fart. The point holds, though. I edited my post to correct that.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

TruePoint, I can't find your HoopDreamsMag junior year mixtape on youtube... maybe you have it on VHS? ;)
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:TruePoint, I can't find your HoopDreamsMag junior year mixtape on youtube... maybe you have it on VHS? ;)

My dad will send you the tapes if you want them. Lol. He and my younger brother (who was also a good high school player) will still throw them on during family get-togethers and mock my defense. They say I played like I was wearing a tuxedo. I say I was saving my energy for offense. I could flat-out score in my day! I outscored Steve Mello 3 times my junior year and he legitimately averaged about 38ppg. That kid's mix tape (if they had made them then) would have dominated youtube. Ask Smarty. He was there.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

TP, now I'm intrigued.. Let's get one of your best tapes on youtube. I'll do it. Plus, soon that delicate cellulose film will break down and you'll be sad when your VCR rips it next time you try to play it.

That's why it was so great that so many people donated their VHS Rhody Hoop tapes to the URI Basketball DVD Archive.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I'll see what I can dig up.
0 x
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

TP, I'm originally from Smithfield and went to SHS in the late 80's and Joe B would agree 100% that no SHS team of his could ever beat the UConn Women's team. plus the teams in the early 80's and then again in the early 90's would have given your team a run for it's money.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I know that some people have a mental block about this because they only see these women play against other women, and that is fine. I think your opinions would change when you saw the players on the court. We'd be bigger, faster and stronger at every position.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Cue up "Glory Days."
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I specifically said I didn't want to make it about me. Rosie both challenged my premise and was spouting nonsense. Not sure how else I could have argued his points. I don't want to be having this conversation at all, but I do feel strongly about the premise that a good boys high school team would beat a good girls college team. That's my entire premise.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I am on your side. Agree in spades. Just couldn't resist the uncle Rico highlights
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Good God. We're talking maybe the best women's college team ever vs. a good high school boys team in a state where centers are 6-2 where the best players bail for prep school.
You're not alone. I know a guy about 30 who was all-state here in tennis. Played D2 in college. Is convinced he would destroy Serena or Venus.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't know enough about tennis to have an opinion on that, but my first thought is that tennis isn't a contact sport so not sure the advantage for the man would be the same as in basketball. Do the men hit the ball that much harder than the women?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Your buddy would get smoked. Serena would lose to a top D-1 college player; but some rec league 39 yr old would have no shot.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/16 ... ers/page/3
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

How Serena Williams Stacks Up Against Top Men's Tennis Players

Well, if it's worded like that, Serena wins, and does against almost all women's players, too………
;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Watched a little of the first half of UConn-Notre Dame tonight and if these are the two best teams I'm not impressed.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The defense for both teams was very good.
Geno must be pretty damn special, to get 15 women, year after year
to buy into his system, and play as a team towards one goal.
I love women, but they don't always play well with others.
Number 10 for Geno and UConn.
Pretty good for a guy who grew up in a shack in Italy.
0 x