Austin Strikes again!!!!

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Austin Strikes again!!!!

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I think it's easy to point at Miss Goodwin and say "Look at what you did, you must have been turning a blind eye towards the basketball team." However, if that is the case, and evidence existed that she dismissed, how come Providence PD has taken so long with this investigation? Her opinion came down in a week. Providence has had the case for 3 months. Last I heard, they were chasing evidence PC didn't have access to, which to me means that they didn't think they had anything substantive.

The main reason it has taken so long is because the victim did not immediately go to the police and have a rape kit test performed for evidence. She first went to PC and from my vanatge point it looks like she was initially willing to let the school discipline the assailants. It appears to me that the school's reversal of the punishment pushed her into going to the police as she did not get satifaction from PC. Going to the police months after the incident however did not help her case and has made authorities take a slow and deliberate course. Charges may ultimately not be brought because the AG may decide they would be difficult to prove given the lack of evidence and time lapse. If charges are not brought forth, that does not mean that a crime did not occur. Given what we know know about Brandon Austin (2nd similar accusation), I would believe the PC coed's story much more.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Of course, it's impossible to not what really happened that night. There were 3 people, and potential evidence, and that's it. I know the story I was told by a few different sources is very consistent with the response provided by Miss Goodwin to the victim in the appeal letter. I don't know how the story came to light, but I'm guessing lack of evidence contributed to the portrayal of events. My intel back in April told me Providence PD was basically throwing a few Hail Mary passes, hoping to come up with something that could stick (social media -- facebook, twitter, texting). I just don't see how one can question a trained expert for her decision to overturn the ruling at this point, over a committee that partially consisted of students and staff that doesn't deal in discipline, especially since Providence PD hasn't been able to quickly link this together. If it comes out that they AG presses charges consisting of evidence she knew of, then at that point I think she deserves everything coming at her. Until then?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Of course, it's impossible to not what really happened that night. There were 3 people, and potential evidence, and that's it. I know the story I was told by a few different sources is very consistent with the response provided by Miss Goodwin to the victim in the appeal letter. I don't know how the story came to light, but I'm guessing lack of evidence contributed to the portrayal of events. My intel back in April told me Providence PD was basically throwing a few Hail Mary passes, hoping to come up with something that could stick (social media -- facebook, twitter, texting). I just don't see how one can question a trained expert for her decision to overturn the ruling at this point, over a committee that partially consisted of students and staff that doesn't deal in discipline, especially since Providence PD hasn't been able to quickly link this together. If it comes out that they AG presses charges consisting of evidence she knew of, then at that point I think she deserves everything coming at her. Until then?

Goodwin OVERTURNED a punishment. The person in question then appears to have committed a similar act. It is fair game to question her actions given what has transpired.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I agree with that opinion if and when Providence Police press charges against them. If charges are pressed over something she knew, she's done. If charges are pressed over something she didn't know, or no charges are pressed, in the end she's fine. There is a reason she has earned the right to oversee this committee. Until proven guilty, she has done nothing wrong.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Why do you think the ppd and the ag haven't moved forward?
Even without the physical evidence; if there was a case, you think they would at least charge the players? Do you think maybe they have evidence that has given them cause not to prosecute? Perhaps the same reason that PC chose to REDUCE the punishment from expulsion to a one year suspension?
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rj, you refer to her as a trained expert. I see that she was a political science major with a masters in educational administration. I don't see any expertise in leading criminal investigations. Maybe she made the right call, maybe not. I tend to think she didn't. Based on the way Austin acted at Oregon, it appears he learned no lesson from what happened and I believe he would have done the same thing if he had stayed at PC.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

There can often times be a large gulf between what can be proven legally, in order to convince a jury or judge of guilt, and what people can believe probably happened. I imagine Providence Police / the AG's office haven't filed any charges, and probably won't ever, because they don't believe they can clear that first threshold. However, I don't think this is a PC-specific thing either. There was a reason why prosecutors just accepted a plea with no jail time in the Holton case at URI, and why a blurry acquaintance rape / hook-up case at URI got a "not guilty" finding in Washington County Superior Court a few years ago.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

There can also be a large gulf between what is illegal and what excludes you from being a member of a university community. He didn't need to be found guilty of a crime to be expelled or suspended. It sounds like the PC Disciplinary Board made the right call and their Vice President of Student Affairs let him off the hook.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Never argue with crazy people.....everyone's opinion is colored by their allegiances.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

You don't become a VP of student affairs and given sole power on appeal basis if you haven't earned it. Is trained expert strong language? Probably. But her decision his worth more than most. This "disciplinary" committee was made up of students and people with no true background in discipline outside of occasionally handling these hearings. So 5 people with zero background in this were right, but someone who has a background is wrong? How do you form such an opinion? Isn't it simply possible that she examined the evidence and realized there wasn't enough to connect the dots, but why she didn't allow either player eligibility for the season? Isn't it possible that is the same reason no charges have been filed as of yet against them 3+ months later?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

It is unfair to castigate the VP for her performance without all the facts.....and I believe no one posting here, either pro-pc or anti-pc has all the facts......and I mean all the facts....I doubt rj and sean have read all the reports generated by this controversy...just like rhody fans haven't....but the perception remains to the outsider that the players are given more leeway than any other student....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

RhowdyRam02 wrote:There can also be a large gulf between what is illegal and what excludes you from being a member of a university community. He didn't need to be found guilty of a crime to be expelled or suspended. It sounds like the PC Disciplinary Board made the right call and their Vice President of Student Affairs let him off the hook.
I'll ask again; how is handing out an unprecedented suspension "letting someone off the hook"? Have any of the URI posters here bothered to read her comments regarding the incident? Do any of you actually know what BA was "charged with" by the disciplinary board?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have little confidence in administrators of Catholic institutions making the correct judgements in matters of sexual assault. Their track record through the years has been anything but good. It seems the victim of these assaults is usually the least of their concerns. They typically are focused on protecting the institution by minimizing the damage and try to cover up as much as possible. There has never been another institution in the history of mankind that cloaks itself in such a level of secrecy and feels no need to keep the public informed of its actions nor offer any explanation for them. I therefore think it is in the best interest of the public for these administrators to be questioned and held responsible for their actions.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

So I'll take that generalized, stereotypical rant as a "no" to my question as to whether or not you have read any of the reports available that details the incident and what the board concluded and why the punishment was reduced.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

How did Sean get total and complete access to such highly sensitive, personal, confidential, and protected reports about the incidents and the disciplinary procedure?

Someone's rights have been violated.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I'm floored that a bigoted statement that paints people of certain religious beliefs with the same broad stroke has been allowed on this message board.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

seanmc94 wrote:I'm floored that a bigoted statement that paints people of certain religious beliefs with the same broad stroke has been allowed on this message board.
Congrats on proving his point. Cover up the truth at all costs to keep up the illusion!
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

The view of many that the Catholic church has not done enough to prevent further abuse of children after knowing the propensities of some of their clergy has been documented in many places. The Church has taken warranted heat for its performance in this area.

No one is castigating individual Catholics for being catholic. It is the institutional mentality to protect its assets rather than its children is what bothers many, many people worldwide.

If anyone considers this a bigoted view....I question how they define the word bigot.

Maybe this message board is not a good place for Sean due to our seemingly intolerant positions........why keep coming back ?

Why don't you post those confidential reports you have read on the Austin incident so that we can know your truth?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

As defined by Websters: bigot:a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially: one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance.

You didn't attack the Catholic Church; you attacked Catholic institutions. There is a difference. Moreover, you lumped Providence College in with the Catholic Church with regards to the issues the Catholic Church has had with child molestors. Never mind that there has never been an incident in that arena at PC and that this incident involves parties of the opposite sex above the age of consent. Also, you questioned the morality of the administrators at PC in dealing with this issue; again using the track record of the Catholic Church. Are you aware that the person you are chastising is a lay person?

You basically decided that anyone associated with a Catholic institution cannot be trusted based solely on the fact that they are associated with a Catholic institution. As far as your contention that I should leave if I don't like your bigoted remarks; seriously? Finally, there are no "secret documents". Do your homework. The information is out there if you care to actually hear everyone's side of the story.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Sean....by this definition.....you are a bigot.....

And privacy issues dictate that not all the reports are out there......there are many things only the participants and the disciplinary board, and the administration, and the police know.......the public does not know every thing until an open trial on the merits in court....until then the complete truth is unknown.....
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I'd be pissed if I were on the disciplinary board and a VP overruled us. Oregon may have heard what they wanted to hear. Will some NAIA school bring Austin in next?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Ramblinrose wrote:I'd be pissed if I were on the disciplinary board and a VP overruled us. Oregon may have heard what they wanted to hear. Will some NAIA school bring Austin in next?
Maybe Huggins would take him in.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Ramblinrose wrote:I'd be pissed if I were on the disciplinary board and a VP overruled us. Oregon may have heard what they wanted to hear. Will some NAIA school bring Austin in next?
Yeah, they already have the cameraman……..
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:
Too low for Huggins.
This kid did big time damage, I don't see any school touching this guy. His category is way, way beyond Holton.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Austin should never be allowed on another college campus for the rest of his life. Female coeds would be in danger. He is a menace to society. He hopefully ends up in jail where he belongs before he traumatizes another young woman.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... department

The 2nd alleged victim questions the wisdom of recruiting a player who is serving a suspension for alleged sexual assault. Good question.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Running Ram wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... department

The 2nd alleged victim questions the wisdom of recruiting a player who is serving a suspension for alleged sexual assault. Good question.

She should at least be glad the athlete rapist was thrown out at Oregon. It is not like that at some other colleges.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote:
Running Ram wrote:http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... department

She should at least be glad the athlete rapist was thrown out at Oregon. It is not like that at some other colleges.
No. He, and all other predators, are still out there. Austin, for instance, was identified once as someone who wasn't exactly a choir boy, and supposedly struck again. True, an allegation. Yet, he's still able to move freely throughout society. Watch, there'll be another accusation of wrongdoing -- or -- worse. Then the legal process will slowly grind on until some sort of "true resolution" regarding his being guilty or not guilty of the charges brought against him are final. Unfortunately, the unknowing who become acquainted with him in the meantime -- and others of his ilk -- become potential victims.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

"At Providence, an adjudication panel found Austin responsible for "non-consensual sexual penetration" ."
Um, isn't that the definition of rape? Isn't rape a criminal action?
Mind boggling.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:"At Providence, an adjudication panel found Austin responsible for "non-consensual sexual penetration" ."
Um, isn't that the definition of rape? Isn't rape a criminal action?
Mind boggling.
Agree Rod. Must be one of those laywer things where "it depends on what the definition of the word is.. is".
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Haven't we learned at this point that Catholic institutions do not consider that to be a crime?
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Misunderstanding at best, right?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

adam914 wrote:Haven't we learned at this point that Catholic institutions do not consider that to be a crime?
Do we really need to smear a religion? Lots of schools, both non-Catholic and Catholic, cover up on-campus rapes.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

They smeared themselves, certainly don't need my help.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I was born a Catholic and spent ten years in the Catholic education system.
However, it is undeniable that the Church is now feeling the huge financial hit from so many
lawsuits for covering up crimes against children, by its Priests.
Still, I'm not sure how this applies to the dismissal of rape in Catholic colleges and universities.
Florida State certainly isn't a Catholic school and look at the obvious cover up and maybe
other crimes in the Jamis Winston case.
It's more of not wanting to damage the cash cow that major sports provide schools, Catholic or otherwise.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

adam914 wrote:They smeared themselves, certainly don't need my help.
You smeared the entire church because of PC's misdeeds.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rod, you are correct, it is rape. However, the VP of discipline who also serves as head of appeals (I believe) reviewed the testimony and evidence, and stated that it was her opinion that "non-consensual sexual penetration" did not occur. One could point to her and say it was a coverup, although police investigations have so far proved no results stating otherwise. Perhaps the coverup is bigger than imagined, but I don't think PC has even 1% the pull that FSU football has in Tallahassee. How many cops/investigators would risk their jobs for PC basketball? Not even FSU, but also think Sandusky/Paterno at Penn St. It's a sad and disgusting world we live in. I still pray that this does not become another situation of that.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

PC didn't cover up anything. The admin acted swiftly and followed the law to the letter.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

While true, the administration at Providence will constantly be reminded that a committee of 5 stated that it was their finding that it wasn't consensual, and 1 person overturned that it said it was. While the 1 may have been more qualified to make that determination than the 5 (a VP of discipline over a few students and staff members), it doesn't look good to those who don't know the ins and outs of the investigation. There will always be speculation that the 1 may or may not have acted in the best interest of the female, even if that statement is completely false.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

seanmc94 wrote:PC didn't cover up anything. The admin acted swiftly and followed the law to the letter.
None of these institutions follow "the law…," as they are cloistered (no pun intended) in the Middle Ages' Vegas mentality and tradition of: "What happens here, stays here." It is outmoded and dangerous and has nothing to do with modern law at all. To have a "panel" decide if rape or aggravated sexual assault took place or not is an insult to the accuser, the accused, the community, and so on. No member of any educational community, especially a student, should be put into such a manipulative non-legal proceeding.
It's a joke.
It's like asking KeaneyBlue to handle the awarding of the Pulitzer Prizes.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhody74 wrote:
adam914 wrote:They smeared themselves, certainly don't need my help.
You smeared the entire church because of PC's misdeeds.
I most certainly did not. Sorry if you misinterpreted my words.

I "smeared" the church because of the church's misdeeds, not just PC's. What some of the leaders of the church have done in their history is actually far worse than anything PC has done in this other situation.

Furthermore, the definition of smear is to damage the reputation of (someone) by false accusations. So there is no smearing going on in the first place.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Bressler,

The players were immediately suspended; before any hearings were held. Once the evidence was presented; the players were handed an unprecedented penalty. PCs admin has cooperated with the authorities. Not sure where you get that there was a cover up or "what happens here; stays here".

If this is a cover up; they need to work on it
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

seanmc94 wrote:Bressler,

The players were immediately suspended; before any hearings were held. Once the evidence was presented; the players were handed an unprecedented penalty. PCs admin has cooperated with the authorities. Not sure where you get that there was a cover up or "what happens here; stays here".

If this is a cover up; they need to work on it
Did you ever read what I wrote or did you just read what you wanted to believe or did you just respond without reading anything because my name was attached to it?????

"PC didn't cover up anything. The admin acted swiftly and followed the law to the letter.

None of these institutions follow "the law…," as they are cloistered (no pun intended) in the Middle Ages' Vegas mentality and tradition of: "What happens here, stays here." It is outmoded and dangerous and has nothing to do with modern law at all. To have a "panel" decide if rape or aggravated sexual assault took place or not is an insult to the accuser, the accused, the community, and so on. No member of any educational community, especially a student, should be put into such a manipulative non-legal proceeding.
It's a joke.
It's like asking KeaneyBlue to handle the awarding of the Pulitzer Prizes."

Not once did I mention "cover up" nor insinuate it. THE LAW TO THE LETTER is the matter at hand. Colleges and universities have the Middle Age notion that their environs are sacrosanct, outside of common law, that they are higher institutions of learning and intellect, unrelatable to mere peons.
By-the-way: who cares if the two played basketball or not??? If they did rape or didn't is the important question.
Also, go to the ACI Medium Security Facility between 6 p.m.-8 p.m.. right after supper. There are plenty of rapists playing ball in the Yard. I see them every Thursday. They don't call fouls. And they didn't have a panel of five determining their fates.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

You stated "what happens here, stays here". If that doesn't imply that PC was trying to cover up something; my apologies. As far as the guilt or innocence of those involved; the police have known about the incident since November. They have chosen not to press charges. Even after the OU incident. Nothing. So PC immediately suspended players for the year who have never been arrested, charged with a crime.

Also, PC is following the law. Not their laws; the laws of the state.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

seanmc94………..you still miss the point. Just read your own last sentence of your last post. Never mind.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

To follow up on Artis/St. John's:

Hard to argue with this decision, good for them.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

According to this report. Austin and Bullock will not be charged in RI for the alleged rape. It appears the grand jury felt there was not enough evidence to indict. This however does not necessarily mean that the incident did not occur as was alleged by the victim. If anything, the victim's story probably has even more credibility now given Austin was accused of a similar act at his next school. The victim's biggest mistake in my opinion was letting PC handle the incident internally and not immediately going to the police.

Austin is now on his third college in one year as he will be attending Hutchinson Community College in Kansas. Bullock remains at Providence College. The Providence victim transferred out of PC.

http://dailyemerald.com/2014/07/15/bran ... to-lawyer/
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

From the AG's office, issued in a release today but it looks like the grand jury was a couple days ago:

Interim Report of the Statewide Grand Jury - Reported July 14, 2014

Please note: An indictment, information, or complaint is merely an allegation. The U.S. Constitution guarantees that a defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty in a court of law.

The investigation into allegations of sexual assault by Rodney Bullock and Brandon Austin has concluded. The allegations concerned an incident which allegedly occurred on November 3, 2013 in Providence. The investigation was presented to a Statewide Grand Jury. The Grand Jury determined there was insufficient evidence to bring any charges against Rodney Bullock. After presentation of the evidence to the Grand Jury with respect to Brandon Austin, it was determined there was legally insufficient evidence to ask the Grand Jury to consider charges against Austin.

The Office of Attorney General cannot release further details surrounding the Grand Jury as disclosure is prohibited by law.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Any lawyers out there:

For Bullock it cites "insufficient evidence."
For Austin, it cites " legally insufficient evidence."
Same thing or are they pointing out some difference?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."