Austin Strikes again!!!!

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: NCAA Transfers, 2014 Edition

Unread post by BFC »

Brandon Austin & Domenic Artis are leaving Oregon, they already had two other players transfer.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wow! Austin didn't last long, three schools already that he never played a single game for,
and Artis was suspended early in the season.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Austin sounds like big time trouble.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Oregon players suspended on heels of reported rape probe

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... rape-probe
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I guess Brandon Austin is either a serial rapist, or an idiot, who doesn't learn his lessons
very well.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I guess Brandon Austin is either a serial rapist, or an idiot, who doesn't learn his lessons
very well.
Both, probably.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Austin Strikes again!!!!

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Austin Strikes again!!!!

Serial rapist/moron. What is it with these players, who think
every woman is just there for their pleasure?
It goes hand in hand with the attitude of entitlement that
comes with the bloated egos of too many athletes.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Cooley must be relieved to have him out of Providence.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Certainly gives credence to the allegations at PC....I mean, two rape accusations in a year? Where there is smoke there is definitely fire in this case. I agree he is likely both a serial rapist and a moron.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

rodfromcranston wrote:I guess Brandon Austin is either a serial rapist, or an idiot, who doesn't learn his lessons
very well.
He was the only one in the Oregon case to lawyer up before talking to police, so I guess he learned one lesson. Can't believe any school gives him another chance, the Oregon police report depicts him not only as a predator, but a violent one.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

If that was my daughter I would be on a plane now with the gun Jesse the Body Ventura used in Predator looking for those three. Forget team activities. Those guys should forget about life activities for about 10-20 years.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:Serial rapist/moron. What is it with these players, who think
every woman is just there for their pleasure?
It goes hand in hand with the attitude of entitlement that
comes with the bloated egos of too many athletes.
Rod,
It will be very interesting to see which Team now goes after Austin.
Interesting that PC did not keep him while they kept the other guy Bullock.
Interesting that he goes all the way across country which seemed to me like looking for a new starting over environment. Even though no evidence is stated - fact is that the school let 3 guys go - had to be something to it because you just don't let guys go for nothing.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

He'll be playing for The Oregon State Penitentiary team.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Holton is looking like a model citizen right now!
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

McRam wrote:Holton is looking like a model citizen right now!
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Cooley must be relieved to have him out of Providence.
Maybe now after his 2nd sexual assault but not after the first.

Cooley didn't want him to leave Providence. He was quoted as saying he felt bad for him with regards to his suspension.

The Oregon newspaper makes it clear that Cooley wanted him to stay:

Austin chose to transfer to Oregon over Providence's wishes to keep him. The school countered Austin's request for a release from his National Letter of Intent by writing that it "truly wanted Mr. Austin to return to Providence College for the Spring 2014 semester and beyond. We supported him in every way possible during the on-campus disciplinary process and would have continued to support him in any way possible."

http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.s ... _foll.html
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

McRam wrote:Holton is looking like a model citizen right now!

The state of RI is better off with both of them far away.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I always wonder how much it pertains to the AAU culture and coaches trying to make these kids feel like "the man." I always think of Jesus Shuttlesworth in He Got Game, having girls thrown at him on the recruiting trip. Regardless of what he did or didn't do on the PC campus, he got a second chance at Oregon. All he had to do was keep his head on straight and away from trouble. And what does he do? He allegedly joins his teammates for more "fun." They get wasted, and whether it was a basketball groupie or not, joins other teammates in the action. How big of a moron do you have to be to put yourself in that situation twice? It's like getting arrested walking around a campus with a beer in your hand, and leaving your dorm a week later walking around with two. All you can hope is that these kids eventually figure it out, because it seems he's going to be on his third strike. If he doesn't figure it out soon, he's going to spend a long life behind bars.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

I'm going to preface this statement by saying that I feel BA is a total creep who needs serious help on how he deals with members of the opposite sex. Secondly, I am glad he does not represent PC.

Having said that, he did nothing illegal in the incident at PC.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I've spoken to an AAU coach, who seemed to think co-eds were just going to
school to service recruits.
Guarantee this clown didn't have a daughter.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Look at what some moron posted in the comment section of Projo's article:

Thomas Fournier · Top Commenter · Providence, Rhode Island
If Carothers were still at URI he would give him a scholarship if he could write a couple of good paragraphs for him like Odom did.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

rodfromcranston wrote:Look at what some moron posted in the comment section of Projo's article:

Thomas Fournier · Top Commenter · Providence, Rhode Island
If Carothers were still at URI he would give him a scholarship if he could write a couple of good paragraphs for him like Odom did.

What a tool! Looks like the quintessential PC fan who never even went to PC and hates on Rhody.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

seanmc94 wrote:I'm going to preface this statement by saying that I feel BA is a total creep who needs serious help on how he deals with members of the opposite sex. Secondly, I am glad he does not represent PC.

Having said that, he did nothing illegal in the incident at PC.

Not necessarily true. Something illegal may have occurred but the DA may feel there is not enough evidence to get a conviction and therefore not worth pursuing charges. (update per the Projo: The Providence police have forwarded the results of their investigation into the female PC student’s claims against Austin and Bullock. R.I. Attorney General spokeswoman Amy Kempe said Tuesday that the case remains under investigation.)

I would now give much more weight to the accusers's story given this 2nd incident. Austin has serious problems and what he and current PC basketball member Bullock were accused of is probably true.
Last edited by RF1 10 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

It's a complicated situation. The investigator brought in to Providence was forced to piece together a situation where there was absolutely zero evidence, and complete he said/she said. How do you truly piece together a story in that situation? I know the story as it was relayed to me, but I have no idea how that story came to life. I know there was some discrepancies discovered, but not sure how that was determined. I tend to trust the judgement of the experts brought in, over the speculation that an event like this will cause. The support the staff provided to the kids, makes the findings slightly more believable, considering Ed Cooley has never been one to hide his true feelings. However, does it cloud the final judgement? Of course.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Expect the Projo to write an indepth article on this any year now.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

ramfan85 wrote:Expect the Projo to write an indepth article on this any year now.
Why should they? He hasn't been at PC for a year.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

At least they're never written about any our former players.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

ESPN story of the dismissal. Oregon AD claims that he didn't know Austin was involved in a sexual assault case in Providence. Seriously?!

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... ll-program
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The latest news is not good for PC. It also probably explains why the victim later decided to pursue charges as she likely felt let down by the school's limited actions.

The Providence Journal is reporting that the PC Disciplinary Board initially voted to bar Austin from campus until the spring of 2015. Austin appealed the decision.

In reviewing Austin’s appeal, Kristine Goodwin, PC’s vice president for student affairs, explained to the alleged victim that she’d come to a different conclusion, according to a Dec. 23 letter.

“Having read the respondent’s letter of appeal and your letter of response, reviewed all documents in the case file, listened to the recording of the board hearing, and conducted interviews,’’ Goodwin wrote, “I cannot affirm the Board’s finding of responsibility.’’

College VP overturned ban on Austin
Board probing basketball standout’s alleged involvement in sexual assault voted to bar him from campus
By LYNN ARDITI PROVIDENCE JOURNAL STAFF WRITER

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... w=ZW50aXR5
Last edited by RF1 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RF1, can you please check that projo link? It goes to the URI-Terrell story.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:RF1, can you please check that projo link? It goes to the URI-Terrell story.

Done.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

So the original penalty was this:
During that period, Austin was “not permitted to be present on any Providence College owned or leased property without the express, written permission’’ of one of several college administrators.
The earliest Austin would be eligible to reenroll would have been the spring semester of 2015.
The no-contact directive that had been in place since Nov. 4 was to remain in effect through May 31, 2017, or until he was no longer enrolled at the college, “whichever occurs later.’’

Then upon review Kristine Goodwin, PC’s vice president for student affairs, came to a different conclusion than the Board and canged it.
Kristine must not be feeling too good about the circumstances in Oregon - not making her change of the penalty look very smart.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote: Kristine must not be feeling too good about the circumstances in Oregon - not making her change of the penalty look very smart.
Suspending a kid for a year from athletics for a non criminal act makes her look stupid? PC handed out an unprecedented penalty. To date, Austin and Bullock have not been charged with anything. The DA has had the evidence for 3-6 months, depending on whose timeline you believe.

Without the benefit of hindsight; what should PC have done?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

seanmc94 wrote:
ramster wrote: Kristine must not be feeling too good about the circumstances in Oregon - not making her change of the penalty look very smart.
Suspending a kid for a year from athletics for a non criminal act makes her look stupid? PC handed out an unprecedented penalty. To date, Austin and Bullock have not been charged with anything. The DA has had the evidence for 3-6 months, depending on whose timeline you believe.

Yes. Goodwin overruled a punishment that a disciplinary board already had handed out. To me it looks like she caved in to the basketball interests of the school. I would think it was her action that resulted in the victim leaving PC and later pressing charges after initially not doing so. Given what we now know after the Oregon assault, it all looks very bad. I can't but help feel for the victim at PC. The college and its administration abandoned her and treated her poorly basically implying she was at fault. It was the classic blame the victim argument that defense lawyers use. Shameful.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

RF1,

Gross misrepresentation of the facts. The admin didn't cave to bball pressure. Austin was still suspended for the year. Nowhere has there ever been anything from the school "blaming the victiim". No sanctions or punishment. The only ones who recieved any punishment are the bball players.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

seanmc94 wrote:

Absolutely it makes her look stupid, in fact, well beyond. She over turned the decision by the PC Disciplinary Board - got that? She over ruled it.
So when the guy leaves PC for Oregon and does basically the same thing then yes she looks very, very bad. In fact, because of her over turning the Disciplinary Board decision it made Oregon think it was not as bad as it really was. I am sure Oregon wishes now they had talked to the PC Disciplinary Board.
Sean, answer this, how do you think the members of the PC Disciplinary Board feel now that this happened at Oregon. Think there is a little bit of "We told you so" and some vindication going on in their minds now?

Grounds for terminiation of somebody at PC maybe?

Think this guy being a basketball player at PC played into the over turning? Answer is obvious.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

You make it sound like Austin wasn't punished. He was suspended for the year. Read the police reports. Know the facts. The two incidents are similar; but have several key differences. Oregon can't blame PC. If they didn't do their due dilligence; that's on them. Do you really think an admin with a glowing record in her field should get terminated for overturning an expulsion into a yearlong suspension?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

How many police departments issued police reports?

Do catholic and religious colleges hold their students to a higher moral code than merely what is illegal or legal in the eyes of the law?

Should they?

How often does a vice-president overturn decisions of the lower level disciplinary board?

How many of those decisions involve athletes in the highest revenue generating sport for the college?

Would the reasonably prudent person think the athlete got preferential treatment?

Does perception become reality?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Ramulous wrote:How many police departments issued police reports?

Do catholic and religious colleges hold their students to a higher moral code than merely what is illegal or legal in the eyes of the law?

Should they?

How often does a vice-president overturn decisions of the lower level disciplinary board?

How many of those decisions involve athletes in the highest revenue generating sport for the college?

Would the reasonably prudent person think the athlete got preferential treatment?

Does perception become reality?
Police reports about the incidents in question are available

What the college decides to do above and beyond the laws of the land is up to the college.

I'd hazard a guess that this wasnt the first time in the history of the college the VP ruled over a lower level board.

The athlete in question did not get preferential treatment. In fact, the exact opposite. Do you believe a regular student would be expelled in a non criminal "he said-she said" situation?

You can perceive anything you want. The fact remains; PC handed out unprecedented punishment. FSU had a much more high profile scandal; player didn't miss a snap. UConn football and hockey, incidents where the athletes got nothing. Campuses all over are being looked at by the NCAA for transgressions; PC isn't one of them. Yet you view PC as looking bad for suspending an athlete for the year.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is very fishy that a VP would overturn a punishment given out by a disciplinary board. It opens things up to a lot of speculation as to the reasoning.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Ok,
I'll play. What was gained by changing the expulsion to a full year suspension?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sean,
Do you think that Kristine thinks she made a mistake in overturning the decision?
Do you think she would make the same decision knowing what she knows now that happened in Oregon?
Do you think that the PC Girls parents, siblings, relatives and friends think that Kristing made a mistake in overturning the Board's decision?
Put your self as the father of the PC girl and what would you say to Kristine and to Father Shanlwy now.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:Sean,
Do you think that Kristine thinks she made a mistake in overturning the decision?
Do you think she would make the same decision knowing what she knows now that happened in Oregon?
Do you think that the PC Girls parents, siblings, relatives and friends think that Kristing made a mistake in overturning the Board's decision?
Put your self as the father of the PC girl and what would you say to Kristine and to Father Shanlwy now.
Imagine how the father of the Oregon victim feels about Goodwin's reversal on punishment and the PC administration's public support of Brandon (while at the same time using the confidentiality laws to avoid comment on the exact nature of the incident). They all contributed to a situation where it made the incident at PC appear much less than it now appears to have really been. Kristine Goodwin and PC's actions in effect indirectly helped Austin strike again on a college campus.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

ramster wrote:Sean,
I'll answer your questions even though you fail to respond to any of mine.

1. Based on the evidence she had available at the time; NO.

2. No. But hind sight is 20/20. Do you think Jerry Remy would have done anything differently with his son; knowing now what he knows?

3. If they are privy to all the facts; NO.

4. If I was the girls father and I was being honest with myself; I'd have nothing to say.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

RF1 wrote:
Imagine how the father of the Oregon victim feels about Goodwin's reversal on punishment and the PC administration's public support of Brandon (while at the same time using the confidentiality laws to avoid comment on the exact nature of the incident). They all contributed to a situation where it made the incident at PC appear much less than it now appears to have really been. Kristine Goodwin and PC's actions in effect indirectly helped Austin strike again on a college campus.
Again, totally irresponsible distortion of the facts.

You make it sound as if PC CLEARED BA of any wrongdoing. There was no reversal on punishment. That implies that no punishment was handed down. I'll restate; PC handed down an unprecedented sentence to BA and RB. Show me another non criminal offense that warranted a year long suspension(non academics, of course). What happened at Oregon is on Oregon. Kid was suspended for a year for his actions. Oregon offered BA without even a face to face visit. That's PC's fault?

Learn the facts about what happened at PC. Base your judgements of PC on what happened at PC. PC cannot control what happens at Oregon.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I think it's easy to point at Miss Goodwin and say "Look at what you did, you must have been turning a blind eye towards the basketball team." However, if that is the case, and evidence existed that she dismissed, how come Providence PD has taken so long with this investigation? Her opinion came down in a week. Providence has had the case for 3 months. Last I heard, they were chasing evidence PC didn't have access to, which to me means that they didn't think they had anything substantive.
0 x