Geno has to be considered among the very best coaches of all time
in any sport.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Congrats To Auriemma and UConn Women

Unread post by TruePoint »

rodfromcranston wrote:On their ninth NCAA Championship. 40-0.
Just an amazing feat, bombing a Notre Dame team that was 35-0 until
tonight.
Geno has to be considered among the very best coaches of all time
in any sport.
Couldn't possibly disagree more. How much of an accomplishment is it to get the best 3 or 4 players in the country every year and then win with those? UConn's dominance is one of the main reasons that women's basketball isn't only boring but uncompelling. It is a joke that Geno is in the real basketball hall of fame.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

No, your post is the joke.
What an ignorant, dumbass, chauvinist pile of crap.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I do want to say that I have absolutely nothing against the girls who play. They have every right to play, and if I ever have daughters and they want to play, then I will support them. My issue is with the media that tries to dump an inferior product on consumers and pretends like it has entertainment value.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Women's basketball is so imbalanced .... you have UConn and then everybody else. One undefeated team beats the other undefeated team by more than 20 points. Compare that to the men's game where 7 and 8 seeds meet for an entertaining championship game.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

No different than Wooden's UCLA teams, which blew everyone out,
NCAAs or not. Check some of those championship games.
The Miller Huggins Yankees. The Yankees of the 40's and 50's.
The Montreal Canadiens.
The Bill Russell Celtics.
The USA in Olympic Swimming.
The Dream Team.
Same thing, people. Oh, but these are women, so it's inferior, boring, blah, blah, blah.....
How about giving them credit for being resourceful enough to be better
by far than everyone else.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rodfromcranston wrote:No different than Wooden's UCLA teams, which blew everyone out,
NCAAs or not. Check some of those championship games.
The Miller Huggins Yankees. The Yankees of the 40's and 50's.
The Montreal Canadiens.
The Bill Russell Celtics.
The USA in Olympic Swimming.
The Dream Team.
Same thing, people. Oh, but these are women, so it's inferior, boring, blah, blah, blah.....
How about giving them credit for being resourceful enough to be better
by far than everyone else.
I think the common denominator in all of those teams is that the leagues weren't nearly as competitive as they would become. Eventually, the best techniques and the best coaches filter throughout a competitive environment, whether we're talking sports or the business world. Women's college basketball hasn't really had that happen yet, at least to the extent that it's effected UConn.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rhody74 wrote:Women's basketball is so imbalanced .... you have UConn and then everybody else. One undefeated team beats the other undefeated team by more than 20 points. Compare that to the men's game where 7 and 8 seeds meet for an entertaining championship game.
Right, look at how Joe's should/could have beaten the men's national champ in the (real) first round this year. Each round of the men's tournament has intrigue and unexpected results, but there's very little of that in the women's tournament - unless you think UConn beating the crap out of the other undefeated team by 20 was intriguing. (I suppose it was, but for the wrong reasons)
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Without a "one and done" model, women's basketball will never be exciting. There just are not enough talented girls out there, and the argument in the mens game of experience vs. talent has no bearing in women's basketball.

In 2012 for example, UCONN had 3 of the top 6 recruits in the nation. One of them, Breanna Stewart (who was #1 that year), won AP player of the year for this season. She has 2 more years of eligibility, as do those other Top recruits. The year before, Kaleena Lewis was the #1 girl in the country. She chose to play for UCONN, and was only a junior this season. Think of those Maya Moore led teams: #1 recruit, HS Player of the Year TWICE ... As a freshman, Big East player of the Year, 1st team All-American ... Would that person ever play 2 years in men's? But the women got here for 4. As a sophomore upped herself to get Women's POY, and added another one later on. UCONN was 150-4 during the Maya Moore years, with 2 national championships and 2 other Final Four appearances. How is that good for the game?

The talent gap in women's ball 1-100 is significantly wider than it is in the men's game, widely because athleticism isn't as big of a factor in the women's game. A guy who can't shoot in the men's game can make up for it by jumping over the rim, but naturally that exists very little in the women's game, and any women who can provide that is typically a freak #1 player in the country because it's so rare (Griner, Parker, etc.). Women's basketball is a team game though, at least in comparison to men's basketball. Girls are raised more on fundamentals because there are so little true athletes, and grow up learning proper techniques, systems, etc. And when girls have to play 4 years of school, you rarely see ladies come in with their eyes on the "league," but in striving to win. It actually makes youth girls basketball a breathe of fresh air, and probably why I have officiated it as long as I have. However, makes me think that aspect of Geno is overrated.

And big surprise, believe UCONN is the favorite for the #1 female recruit for 2014.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 10 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I am totally with Rod on his posts on this subject.

Yes UConn gets great talent, but as Auriemma said, it takes a TEAM to win at the highest level, along with talent.

He gets his players to play as a team, not individuals.

Remember, he's not the first to do this. Summitt's teams played in 13 title games, going 8-5.

UConn being 9-0 in these games is just amazing. Only Wooden at 10-0 is better, and I have a feeling Geno will pass that before he's done.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Rambone, talk to your shoe. Same thing as talking to
people who hate the woman's game.
Slam dunks! Whooo! Hoo! That's where it's at.
Breana Stewart has a 7'1" wingspan and can easily dunk the ball.
She doesn't. It's not part of Geno's system.
It's not chest pounding, bad ass stare downs, "hey look at me!" ball.
You like that, try WWE or AAU ball.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Rod, who said they want slam dunks and high-flyers? The problem with the women's game isn't the way they play, it's the talent disparity between Team 1 and Team 10, forget Team 352. What good came to women's hoops when Maya Moore was a 4-time 1st team All American, going 150-4, and going to 4 Final Fours?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Same as Jabbar or Walton doing the same thing for UCLA.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Agree, but men's basketball has grown away from that "dynasty" era. Teams that make the Final Four on a semi-consistent basis are by the same coach, but usual different rosters, with the carryover players in different roles. Almost every team you see on the women's list is a team that struck in a short span (outside of the powers)In the past 4 Final Fours: Connecticut 4, Notre Dame 4, Stanford 3. It's basically the same Final Four every year with a different team mixed in.

Over the past 20 years (so 80 potential openings), this is how the women's Final Four bids have looked:

UCONN 14
Tennessee 10
Stanford 9
Notre Dame 6
LSU 4
Duke 4
Louisiana Tech 3
Georgia 3
Oklahoma 3
Purdue 3
UNC 3
Baylor 3