BC basketball coaching list

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: BC basketball coaching list

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

That list is such BS. Total fan-boy-throwing-shit-on-the-wall-to-see-if-it-sticks kind of stuff.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Lol BC
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sounding like it is going to be former URI player jimmy Christian. Solid choice by Boston college. I have always liked Christian's hard nosed approach as a player and coach. He played at BU before transferring to URI.
Good for him for getting to the ACC if it happens.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

I love how candidates remove themselves from consideration. You weren't getting the offer so you save face. Christian would be a solid choice. Surprised Pat Skerry doesn't get much play. BC has a massive 2015 class to fill. I also heard Walter McCarty. Long time NBA guy. Was on Pitino's staff at L'Ville and Stevens with the C's. Would be a great hire, in my opinion, but BC doesn't go out of the box. Davis was from Lafayette. Gary W from American. O'Brien from St. Bonnies. Al from Rhody. Donahue from Cornell. That's actually a pretty good track record. Just hope it's not a monster recruiter because we could end up head to head for some folks. They already have a top 100 in the 2015 class (we'll see if he stays).
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

http://www.bobcatattack.com/messageboar ... PID=141883

Lots of anger and frustration on the ohio university message board. Some thought Christian to bc was done as there were some talking heads saying it....now some have recanted. Fans do not like the delay taking place.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's getting almost embarrassing at BC.

Who wants this job?

Reminds me of the PC mess not too long ago.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:It's getting almost embarrassing at BC.

Who wants this job?

Reminds me of the PC mess not too long ago.
I think it is more a situation of BC rejecting the candidates than the candidates turning down BC.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

If BC doesn't want them then how were they candidates? This is a pretty closed universe. It isn't like they are listing the job on monster.com and getting 1000s of applications.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I hadn't heard this, but a BC fan friend of mine told me that Christian went on a local Ohio radio show last night and said he's staying put. Probably means nothing - happens all the time where a guy says he's totally definitely not taking a job right before he takes the job. But worth noting.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:If BC doesn't want them then how were they candidates? This is a pretty closed universe. It isn't like they are listing the job on monster.com and getting 1000s of applications.
Here is the point. Mark Schmidt went to BC and interviewed. Fact.
One of two things happened - either Schmidt did not want the job or BC didn't want Schmidt. Either because of money, facilities, length of contract, any number of things.........my point is that we should not be assuming that BC was a failure because all of these candidates are turning down BC as Rambone's post insinuated. It could be that BC is turning them down too.
We don't really know. It could be Schmidt never wanted the job inthe first place but he goes and interviews to put pressure on St Bonaventure AD to give him more money, a longer contract, a free trip to Boston (he is from Attleboro) or any number of reasons.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote:
TruePoint wrote:If BC doesn't want them then how were they candidates? This is a pretty closed universe. It isn't like they are listing the job on monster.com and getting 1000s of applications.
Here is the point. Mark Schmidt went to BC and interviewed. Fact.
One of two things happened - either Schmidt did not want the job or BC didn't want Schmidt. Either because of money, facilities, length of contract, any number of things.........my point is that we should not be assuming that BC was a failure because all of these candidates are turning down BC as Rambone's post insinuated. It could be that BC is turning them down too.
We don't really know. It could be Schmidt never wanted the job inthe first place but he goes and interviews to put pressure on St Bonaventure AD to give him more money, a longer contract, a free trip to Boston (he is from Attleboro) or any number of reasons.
Exactly. If BC wanted Mark Schmidt, he would be the coach right now. Interviews matter. Mike Hopkins left without an offer. The AD knows that BC has to nail this hire.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI graduate Jim Christian has agreed in principle to be the next head coach at BC according to Goodman.

If URI ever considered playing BC again, I would hope the URI connection to the coach along with the fact that Rhody has a three game win streak against them would result in an even home and home. Anything less and I would not play them. They don't deserve anything better right now.
Last edited by RF1 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Apparently BC has hired Christian. I don't know if you'd consider that "nailing" it, but I wish Jim the best. Obviously, I think that is a pretty terrible job and will always be rooting against all of BC's programs, but I do wish Jim personal success and I'm glad he's going to get this payday.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Good for him. I think people who try to look at a guy's history and project how he will do at a new school are on a fool's errand. Too many "perfect hires" flame out and vice versa. If I was BC and looked at the massive amount of prep talent within 50 miles of campus, I might not have gone that route. But, you just never know. Bobby Knight was a 24 year old when Army took a chance on him. People freaked. People hung Dean Smith's image in effigy. And, of course, there are a zillion hot shot assistants or Cinderella tourney coaches who couldn't make it at the high major level.

Wish him luck. Not an easy job but, like I said earlier, with the amount of cash BC gets from the ACC and the talent around BC (and a pretty good hoops history), I think the right guy can knock it out of the park there.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I would have hired Walter McCarty, but one reason hating BC is so fun is that they never enrage you by doing the shrewd and creative thing.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think Jim Christian is a solid hire for Boston College. He was a tough competitor for URI during his playing days and he has good experience in the Coaching arena. He played 2 years at BU and at URI so he has knowledge of New England.
I wish him the very best. I dispise Providence College but I respect BC. Consider that there is nt a team in New England that wouldn't think twice about changing places with them and joining the ACC especially now that the ACC has improved considerably in Football, Basketball and all sports. Solid Academically as well.
Too bad for Ohio University for sure.

This was a pretty telling sign yesterday from the BuckeyeExtra Dispatch that Christian was going to take this job.

"A possible sign that Christian could be leaving came from Ohio recruit Tariq Owens, a 6-foot-9 forward from Mt. Zion Preparatory School in Laurel, Md. He told Evan Daniels of Scout.com yesterday that he was going to ask to be released from his letter of intent."
http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content ... 0tt-1.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ohio University Board is not a Happy Place..................
http://www.bobcatattack.com/messageboar ... PID=142591

Interesting article says BC crossed Schmidt and Hopkins off it's list.
Christian was the choice once Amaker said he wnted to stay at Harvard.

Good job by BC in my opinion to grab Jim Christian. Love to see URI Graduates advance in their careers - great jump for him to go from the MAC to the ACC. Plus the City of Boston is a great city - a world apart from Athens Ohio.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/ ... story.html
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Slightly OT, but speaking of Bobby Knight.....
after Ernie Calverley retired, URI interviewed Bobby Knight.
It was said, Knight was a defensive coach. His teams at Army played
grind em out half court offense and solid defense.
Knight did that to adjust to the talent he had.
So, URI decided it would be better to keep the fast break tradition going
by hiring a Duke assistant, Tom Carmody.
The rest is history.
Not likely Knight would have been a lifer at URI, but he sure would have left them
in better shape than Tom Carmody'as 58-71 record did.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I became a URI fan during Carmody's tenure. It prepared me for a life of frustration and pain.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Christian will need all the luck he can get at BC. That place is a tough job. The fans and administration have very unrealistic expectations. Nothing anyone does will ever be good enough. There is also a lot of politics and backstabbing there and they will turn on you in a heartbeat.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

RF1 wrote:Christian will need all the luck he can get at BC. That place is a tough job. The fans and administration have very unrealistic expectations. Nothing anyone does will ever be good enough. There is also a lot of politics and backstabbing there and they will turn on you in a heartbeat.
Well, the job's his now. At least he's got the right last name for the institution. Let's just hope they don't want another martyr-story, and provide him with the support he needs……..
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

From what I've heard from a BC pal, they are actually going to open up the checkbook for a big time staff. They reached out to Scott Spinelli at MD, which would be a huge get. File this under "I'll believe it when I see it" but I hope URI bumped up Preston's salary with the title change. If I were Christian, he'd be one of my first five calls.
0 x