Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech

Unread post by TruePoint »

zporiri wrote:could this be bad news in terms of garrett? he wanted to play at marquette not because buzz was the coach, but because he grew up a huge marquette fan. if some of marquette's recruits leave because buzz isn't there, that could open the door...
I had the same thought, but didn't post it because I didn't want to cause a panic. Whether guys leave or not, just bringing in a new coach raises the possibility that he'd get an offer. One way or the other, we need to keep recruiting him until his LOI comes through the fax machine.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TruePoint wrote:
zporiri wrote:could this be bad news in terms of garrett? he wanted to play at marquette not because buzz was the coach, but because he grew up a huge marquette fan. if some of marquette's recruits leave because buzz isn't there, that could open the door...
I had the same thought, but didn't post it because I didn't want to cause a panic. Whether guys leave or not, just bringing in a new coach raises the possibility that he'd get an offer. One way or the other, we need to keep recruiting him until his LOI comes through the fax machine.
One of Marquette's verbals is a 2015 4 star PG, Nick Noskowiak. If he changes his mind in the next few weeks, I might worry.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

It's laughable to hear nbe people talking about expansion. How many new teams do they plan on adding? Every mid major that is having success is being mentioned (Gonzaga, WSU, Dayton, VCU, St.L, to name a few).
On one hand we hear how they're so much better than us. On the other hand we hear how they'll be so much better once they take our teams.
We have to improve our tv contract to the point where teams aren't so anxious to leave. If not, this talk is going to continue.
I assume Fox is locked into this current contract with the be. But, if they don't see a financial benefit, the next one may not be so lucrative. It is a business, after all.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

and here are a ton of shots at buzz...

http://college-basketball.si.com/2014/0 ... ?eref=sihp
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

peeps, the best thing about this argument is that it is playing out in front of your eyes and you are still denying it....don't listen to me, listen to buzz williams, the ncaa selection committee, the viewing public. the BE is a shell of its former self. admitting a problem is usually the first step to recovery.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

I mean... I get that you're trolling me, but I've never claimed this conference is close to its predecessor. It's a better conference than you give it credit for. The Marquette job will be a great spot for a very good coach.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Trolling? Just saying what Buzz Williams is saying, I don't understand ur argument. Good conference? I would agree but not a high major of the A-10 isn't considered a high major, not much seperates the two besides the fox money.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

The fox money allows for good coaching hires. What are you missing out on? The money is a big deal... (Waiting for the argument "wait until the money dries up")
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Won't give you the wait till the money dries up argument. I think the Big East is in a good position relative to the A-10, the issue is that you used to be the best conference in the country and now your a mid major. That's a big drop off. One of your best coaches called you so, not just random fans of the game. Your not really trying to spin Buzz leaving as a positive are you?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

maybe you can start using the money to pay people to watch the games?
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

I wouldn't say positive. It's neutral. Marquette will get an equally good coach for $2.8m.

Apple, so it goes back to first year ratings... Which goes back to your opinion that fox will fail. I disagree. Mutually symbiotic relationship where both sides want each other to succeed and will work to ensure it.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

You really don't believe nuetral do you? Unless you bring in Shake Smart, now way that's a neutral move. And please don't try to sell Ben H. who was fired as being as good as buzz. PC has a lot going for it with Cooley, not sure why any PC fans waste their time on this board.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

no peeps your next year ratings will be in the same place too, and the year after, but we can wait and have this conversation again at that time...what reason do you have to believe this year is not the norm? in fact all it can do is slip further down, all the kids that played in the BE this year were recruited to the old BE. you cant believe there wont be a talent dip as you move from the best conference to the 6-7th best. buzz said as much, any impartial observer would as well.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

This is how I know your trolling. I've already said several times that NEXT YEAR THE BIG EAST HAS 17 TOP 100 players. None were recruited to the old big east. And to say the ratings have nowhere to go but down is asinine. I give you a B- for trolling. Congratulations.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

But to hit on bigapples point, those recruits were under the impression this was going to continue to be a high major conf, not one wih abismal ratings and coaches defecting due to the direction of the league. Still it's splitting hairs, this conf is a lot more competitive for PC and provides better opportunity for NCAA bids for your team so I would still be happy if I were you. Just wouldn't claim there is much separation between your conf and the A-10.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

i have heard you 10 times about your 17 Top 100 players. that's great, let's see how they pan out. If high school rankings guaranteed victories St Johns would have been national champion this year.

i am a URI fan on the URI board, you are the troll....go away and you won't hear from me again. keep posting your asinine drivel and you will get a response.

there is no reason to believe the BE will be any bit different next year, than it was this year. oh yeah, you lose your two marquee players (cotton and mcdermott) and one guy who single-handedly brought loads of media attention to the league. that wont hurt either. neither will losing buzz. you guys are in great shape, my bad.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

peeps4life wrote:I wouldn't say positive. It's neutral. Marquette will get an equally good coach for $2.8m.

Apple, so it goes back to first year ratings... Which goes back to your opinion that fox will fail. I disagree. Mutually symbiotic relationship where both sides want each other to succeed and will work to ensure it.
It can be "mutually symbiotic" and both sides can want each other to succeed. But neither can make the average fan care about the new Big East, nor can they make people watch FS1. Wanting will only get you so far.

Also, you keep bringing up next year's class, but that class was signed before the NBE had a flop of a season that nobody watched and people thought of as elder statesmen in the league start bailing for jobs that they would never have considered two years ago. We'll see how the '15 and '16 classes look.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

how many folks watched A10?
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

TruePoint wrote:
peeps4life wrote:I wouldn't say positive. It's neutral. Marquette will get an equally good coach for $2.8m.

It can be "mutually symbiotic" and both sides can want each other to succeed. But neither can make the average fan care about the new Big East, nor can they make people watch FS1. Wanting will only get you so far.

Also, you keep bringing up next year's class, but that class was signed before the NBE had a flop of a season that nobody watched and people thought of as elder statesmen in the league start bailing for jobs that they would never have considered two years ago. We'll see how the '15 and '16 classes look.
so you're sticking to "fox doesn't know what they're doing" line of thinking?
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Buzz looked like he was rubbing it in to MU wearing that VT pin on tv tonight.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

peeps4life wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

Fox took a big gamble. It is no given that it works out for them. Year One is already in the books and would have to be categorized as disappointing.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

i looked and couldn't find A10 television numbers. that can't be a good sign that google can't come up with it.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

peeps4life wrote:i looked and couldn't find A10 television numbers. that can't be a good sign that google can't come up with it.
You're correct, Peeper, but that isn't what the discussion is about. It concerns the paltry viewership in exchange for hundreds of millions of

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

SO, DON'T FLIP THE TOPIC AT HAND.
:oops: :oops: :oops:
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

peeps4life wrote:
TruePoint wrote:

I don't know that "doesn't know what they're doing" is it. They may well know what they want to do. But no, ultimately I think FS1 will be a failed venture. And if it does succeed, it will be because it gets in bed with some major sports properties, not on the back of the NBE. And honestly, I don't see how that is all that much better for you. You can mock the A10's TV numbers or contract, but that is your future so tread carefully. The A10 is as good of a league (if not better) as the NBE.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

TP, I thought the same thing about Garrett, but for now I'm not concerned.

We'll see what happens with their recruits, and who the new coach is.

They will have to move quickly with the spring signing period starting in 3 weeks.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Marquette should take their time in naming a new coach. They should be absolutely, positively, without any doubt certain on their choice. Even if it takes 7 or 8 months. Hint: they may have lost Curley, but I'm hearing Moe and Larry are still available.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

This is their 4 star shooting guard from '14.

Chief Cohen ▲ ‏@SandyCohenIII · 13h
I have been released of my NLI my window for recruitment is wide open
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Big East took it on the chin last night again with Villanova being upset, talks of Villanova being over rated due to the weak conf they played in has been discussed on the national morning shows.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Most of their recruits are likely to leave.

I would think Marquette will move quickly to hire a coach.

Would that open up an opportunity for us to get any of them?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wait. Two things here. That kid is a 2015 recruit.
Secondly, they have the number 53 player from last year's
recruiting class, PG Duane Wilson, coming back as a freshman.
He had a stress fracture and redshirted this year.
Let's not start the chicken little stuff, OK.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

CTRhody, there's no doubt they were overrated.

Watching them play, all they did was chuck up 3's the first chance they got.

No inside game, just like UConn. UConn will go down when they play a team that has a good inside game.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, not worried about Garrett, like I said before.

He seems to be "all in" with Rhody.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:Rod, not worried about Garrett, like I said before.

He seems to be "all in" with Rhody.
I'm hoping it helps us. Jarvis could be close to the other Milwaukee kids who decommit from Marquette. We need a SG. One just decommitted.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Most of their recruits are likely to leave.

Do most recruits leave when there is a Coaching Change? I think there is a lot of publicity for a single player when he leaves, but I think the majority stay.
Looking at the details of Marquette signed recruits for 2014:
Ahmed Hill Augusts Ga. Ranked #54 ESPN. Personally I think that is too high a rank for Hill having seen him play live in AAU Ball. He is a possibility to transfer especially being from futher away than any Marquette recruit. He could follow Williams to ACC VaTech
Sandy Cohen. Ranked #82 ESPN. From Green Bay Wisconsin. Not likely to leave.
Marial Shayok. Ottawa Canada. Not likely
Malik Harris Chicago. Not likely
Satchel Pierce Akron. Possible
Marquette signed recruits for 2014:
Nick Moskowiak. Ranked #60 ESPN Class of 2015. Sun Prairie Wisconsin. Not likely
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:

Do most recruits leave when there is a Coaching Change? I think there is a lot of publicity for a single player when he leaves, but I think the majority stay.
Ahmed Hill Augusts Ga. Ranked #54 ESPN. Personally I think that is too high a rank for Hill having seen him play live in AAU Ball. He is a possibility to transfer especially being from futher away than any Marquette recruit. He could follow Williams to ACC VaTech
Nick Moskowiak. Ranked #60 ESPN Class of 2015. Sun Prairie Wisconsin. Not likely
Ramster, Cohen has already asked for and received his release.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I'm not too worried about Jarvis not being here. He's been very close mentally and physically to our program since he announced. Most recruits don't hang around their team like he has.
In fact, he's been so close I thought Dan would try to slip him into a few games.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

I find it interesting that no one mentions the possibility that Buzz may have been getting a little anxious that he was picked first in the league and finished sixth. He sees Providence and Seton Hall and Villanova and georgetown with top twenty recruiting classes.In the old big east Buzz never had to worry about being picked first some people don't like having the pressure of having to be the top dog.He will not have that issue at Virginia tech.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Number one reason Buzz bolted was continued frustrations with the admin over recruiting JUCOs

Still stinks losing a very good coach for the league. Good for PC; not great for the league in the short term
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

so he left because of the admission standards? the same ones he has been operating under and winning with for six seasons?

the Dayton win yesterday has to make Archie a contender for this job. that would not be good for our league.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

new admin coming in at Marquette. Buzz apparently wasnt thrilled that he was out of the loop on a lot of things.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I had no idea that Marquette basketball spends the second most money per player in the country. They had some injury problems (but who doesn't?) that contributed to their less than expected finish.

There are as many hypothesized reasons for his leaving as there are teams in the tournament, and people will pick the one that best suits their argument... new administration, wanting a new challenge, conference problems, etc.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I'd expect A. Miller to shoot higher than Marquette. His brother's at Arizona. Sibling rivalry and all that stuff. lol

Besides, he could be elected Governor of Ohio this week.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Cohen is a 6'6" SF, so that has little to do with Jarvis,
in any case.
VATech? Fired Seth Greenberg is a very classless manner.
It's a football school, which is why they initially left the A-10.
Not getting why Buzz would take a pay cut to go there?
It would be a lot easier to win in the NBE than the ACC, especially with the new additions.
Then again, there's a ton of things I don't get in collegiate circles.
Like Maryland to the Big Ten. Like Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville to the ACC.
Like, why UConn and UMass are trying to play D-1 football and losing
millions?
It's a strange new landscape out there.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I've always liked Seth, as a coach and analyst. I think he's the most refreshing analyst on ESPN. A lot better than those other people who have to find a reason that a non BCS school could actually be good.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

From the sounds of it besides the obviously unknowns that we may never know, it sounds like he wanted to challange himself in a high major conf against some great teams. Maybe being a top dog in a high mid-major wasn't something he desired. After his precious big east battles, he wanted that higher competition level again.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

so in a year that he was picked to be the top dog... he flamed out and went to the pits of the ACC to challenge himself?

anything's possible!!! (KG voice)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote:
ramster wrote:

Ramster, Cohen has already asked for and received his release.
Interesting that Marquette had a standard practice of not releasing players until after the new Head Coach was named. Seems player beating them to the punch:
http://www.anonymouseagle.com/2014/3/22 ... n-released
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

peeps4life wrote:so in a year that he was picked to be the top dog... he flamed out and went to the pits of the ACC to challenge himself?

anything's possible!!! (KG voice)

As the best decisions are made based on more than a single data point, sure, why not?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

There are conflicting reports on whether or not Cohen has been released, but it is very apparent that he wants out. Rod, I've seen him listed as a SG. My point is that he, like Jarvis, is from the Milwaukee area. I'm assuming they know each other, possibly even played AAU together.. We need a SG. Just putting two and two together....dreaming, actually. He's very highly rated. At this late point in the recruiting cycle, many teams are set with early signings and verbals. We are not. Hey, I like to fantasize occasionally.
0 x