Providence Police now investigating the suspended pc players

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Providence Police now investigating the suspended pc pla

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Who said they had no problem with Holton? Bullshit.

As for this case: sexual assault, or alleged sexual assault, is no laughing matter.

As to PC's handling of the situation, there may or may not be problems involved with it.

I'm sure they [PC] would like nothing better, for it to all go away. Well, now it's out of their hands.

As it should be. SA, if proven, is a felony. As such, it should be reported to the state police at all times.

PC's and RI's "laws" concerning the need to report it, need to be changed. Same for all schools.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

All I can say is this must be a great opportunity for Bob Huggins and the West Virginia Mountaineers.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

the girl was encouraged to report it. she did... on march 6th about 4 months after it happened and 3 months after punishments were handed out.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

So peeps, why would she do that? For shits and giggles?

There must be something she didn't like about how it was handled.

Maybe she didn't think justice was served?

Guess we'll find out soon.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

do you know how hard it is for a victim to come out and talk about for sexual harrassment. Especially when your a student at the college where it happened and the accusers are high profile athletes?
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

peeps4life wrote:the girl was encouraged to report it. she did... on march 6th about 4 months after it happened and 3 months after punishments were handed out.
That is her prerogative. She is the victim. She doesn't owe any answers or explanations to a bunch of basketball fans. Not her problem.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

a sensitive subject + PC = this has all the makings of a great thread. if watching car wrecks is your sorta thing.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

rambone 78 wrote:So peeps, why would she do that? For shits and giggles?

my guess... a precursor to a civil suit including the school. $$$
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

peeps4life wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:So peeps, why would she do that? For shits and giggles?

my guess... a precursor to a civil suit including the school. $$$

Not knowing anything about this case, that was my first thought, too, peeps.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

twisted3829 wrote:do you know how hard it is for a victim to come out and talk about for sexual harrassment. Especially when your a student at the college where it happened and the accusers are high profile athletes?
not that hard as far as i see it. she reported it to campus police immediately who then encouraged her to report it to the police.

in this type of case, you maintain anonymity as the accuser and alleged victim. the public will never know who the young lady is by name as opposed to the accused.

she is also no longer a student at the school by choice. and father shanley's reaction was that ALL 3 involved be expelled.

this situation is a warning to those interested in videotaping a threesome...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

so peeps, was videotaping involved with this?
URI removed Holton from school.
Why didn't PC have these two players removed from the school versus just being ineligible for one season? Is there a difference here?
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

holton wasn't dismissed from school until the robbery/fugitive charges came from FL. i would think that is the difference.

and to date... bullock and austin haven't been charged with video voyeurism, but the rumor-mill has some video that circulated.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

peeps4life wrote:holton wasn't dismissed from school until the robbery/fugitive charges came from FL. i would think that is the difference.

and to date... bullock and austin haven't been charged with video voyeurism, but the rumor-mill has some video that circulated.

There were some notable differences with the two incidents. The main being that the woman in the Holton case did not claim she was sexually assaulted. There were also just two individuals involved, not three. The Holton case was mainly about filming the encounter without the woman's knowledge and consent.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, if Bullock and Austin end up formally charged with SA, then they are history, whether at Oregon or PC.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

seanmc94 wrote:This entire thread is hysterical:

Some of the highlights:

Cooley shouldn't have recruited them-bc he has a crystal ball that predicts players future behavior

PCs policy is scandalous; despite the fact it follows state law

Shanley obviously condones sexual assault; even though he was interviewed 2 days before the story broke.

True Points entire rant: there just aren't words.

Of course many here condemning the PC players had zero problem with Holton.

This post is from the same person that posted the following on the Friar board:
seanmc94
Posted: 3/18/2014 8:44 PM

RE: Bullock and Austin WSJ Article

Much ado about nothing. They are fine. Bad timing, though.

Seems a bit dismissive to me given the serious nature of the charges. I would think we should all wait until the legal process takes its course. The secretive PC internal review does not hold much weight for me since it is not a transparent nor entirely objective process. All we know from that is the school felt these players broke some nebulous code of conduct, whatever that means.

I myself feel that some of the words and actions by PC since the event have been poor choices. Allowing Bullock to publicly partake in the tournament celebration was bad. Cooley, Shanley, and Driscoll should also use much more care when making statements regarding the program and specific players in my view given the circumstances. Their words give out the appearance that they fully support the alleged assailants and have little care for or sensitivity toward the victim. She appears to be long forgotten.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1 wrote:
peeps4life wrote:holton wasn't dismissed from school until the robbery/fugitive charges came from FL. i would think that is the difference.

There were some notable differences with the two incidents. The main being that the woman in the Holton case did not claim she was sexually assaulted. There were also just two individuals involved, not three. The Holton case was mainly about filming the encounter without the woman's knowledge and consent.
So RF1, do you think then that this could be worse or even significantly worse than the Holton case?
Peeps is right that the previous case in Miami impacted Holton too. Do you think that Holton would have been kicked out of URI if the Miami previous case had not surfaced or existed?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

It's national news, and certainly nothing that can be wished away.
What is it with these kids? Are their egos so over the top, that they need
to film their sexual encounters? Did Austin look in the mirror first. That's one
creepy looking person.
As for Holton, two wrongs don't make a right. Sorry.
He had to go. He was a cancer on the team, moved out of his dorm with other players, got
into fights with teammates, and was a lousy student.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I am not questioning whether Holton should or should have gone - from my own opinion standpoint I agree that he should be gone for the act that was committed. Ontop of that you have the stolen laptop incident in the dorm in additon to the previous Miami charges. For sure should be gone.
My question is how does the PC incident compare to Holton. and should these two guys have been expelled. Would URI have expelled these two guys? I would hope so. PC may be wishing they had expelled them too with all of this now hitting the fan
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

RF1 wrote:

another difference is, to date, neither kid has been charged with anything or arrested. i still maintain that this will be a civil case, but we'll see.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

If there is video and it turns up, one would think it would help in determining the answer to the consent question. Interesting, if the young lady involved knows there is video and is proceeding by pressing charges, that doesn't sound good for the players, it gives investigators a bit more to work with than the typical he said/she said scenario.

Again, I can't stress enough that the timing issue does nothing to discredit the charges or the alleged victim. To those implying otherwise without a shred of knowledge as to the reasons behind the timing, I'd suggest reserving your questions until there is at least some information to speculate about. Some are very quick to defend the reputations of the alleged assailants, while simultaneously accusing the alleged victim of going for the money grab by implying the timing is dubious. For all we know the timing may be completely out of either the accused or accusers hands.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:
RF1 wrote:

So RF1, do you think then that this could be worse or even significantly worse than the Holton case?
Peeps is right that the previous case in Miami impacted Holton too. Do you think that Holton would have been kicked out of URI if the Miami previous case had not surfaced or existed?

I think the Austin & Bullock sexual assault case is much worse than the Holton case. Holton was dismissed by URI not soley because of the filming incident. He had the previous charges in FL that were known about which he was on probation for. He then failed to live up to the terms of the probation and there was an outstanding warrant for him that came to light at about the same time as the video voyeurism charges. The other strike against him was his laptop that was confiscated for evidence and found to be stolen (taken from a URI student that left it unattended in one of the lounges). If the only problem was video voyeurism, Holton may have stayed at URI pending the resolution of the charges.

I myself was on record at the time commending URI for kicking him out and stating I never wanted him back again. I did not want someone like that at URI while I had family attending and living at the school. Holton was clearly a bad character given all his issues.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

ramster wrote:
RF1 wrote:

i fail to see how, to date, this is "much worse". the police are investigating a complaint at this point. and i could be wrong, but i doubt the providence spokesperson would go out of their way to say "I would recommend against drawing any conclusions that our process ended with a finding that our student-athlete was found responsible for sexual assault" unless they were pretty comfortable with their findings.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

You're also assuming things. Like the PC investigation
was the be all-end all, final word on this.
It's not.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

peeps4life wrote:i fail to see how, to date, this is "much worse". the police are investigating a complaint at this point. and i could be wrong, but i doubt the providence spokesperson would go out of their way to say "I would recommend against drawing any conclusions that our process ended with a finding that our student-athlete was found responsible for sexual assault" unless they were pretty comfortable with their findings.
I am basing my "much worse" comment on the fact that a woman has gone to the police claiming sexual assault. That in my view is far more serious than video voyeurism claims and charges.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

not assuming anything, hence "to date". at this point, there won't be physical evidence on her person. it is very likely to be a he said she said situation.

i will be absolutely appalled if this doesn't turn into a civil case.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

RF1 wrote:
peeps4life wrote:i fail to see how, to date, this is "much worse". the police are investigating a complaint at this point. and i could be wrong, but i doubt the providence spokesperson would go out of their way to say "I would recommend against drawing any conclusions that our process ended with a finding that our student-athlete was found responsible for sexual assault" unless they were pretty comfortable with their findings.
I am basing my "much worse" comment on the fact that a woman has gone to the police claiming sexual assault. That in my view is far more serious than video voyeurism claims and charges.
with that line of thinking... anyone can claim anything and you would act in the "guilty" column immediately?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The only way the pc situation is worse than the Holton scenario is if the young lady involved was not a willing participant in all or some of the activities........she may have agreed to have sex with one of the players....she could have agreed to let another player watch...she could have agreed to let the third person become an active participant....she could have agreed to having the entire episode video'ed.....she could have been sober......she could have willingly partook in intoxicants.....said intoxicants could have affected her judgement......she could have been subjected unwittingly to intoxicants which affected her judgement......or she could have consented to none of it.....parts of it.....all of it.....or changed her mind entirely at any step in the activity....

Many high profile personalities video sexual encounters these days.....many unknown also do it......some for the sexual thrill of watching it later......some to protect themselves by showing consent on the part of their partner or partners in the activities...some do it openly so the others know....some do it secretly.....

....a lot of things to look at by the authorities.....whether the school or the police.....before criminal charges can be relevant.....some things that are not per se illegal may be good cause at a religious institution for punishment.....

0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Cooley comes across as incredibly insensitive, unless this really amounts to nothing.
But if it's nothing, why are the police now involved?
In my opinion, this makes the school, the president, the AD and the coach all look TERRIBLE.
If it was nothing, why were the kids suspended for the year for violating some code?
If it was nothing, I ask again, why are the police involved?

Cooley: "This is just another bump in the road."
"We've faced adversity all year."
"This is old news."
"We're gonna move on."
"I don't think it'll bother our guys."

Nothing about the alleged victim.
Nothing about the seriousness of sexual assault.
Nothing denying that it was sexual assault.

Why, I ask again, were they suspended for the year?

Not for nothing.

And regarding Holton, he was in deep doo-doo immediately after the incident
with the woman came to light, iirc.
He was then dismissed from school, not suspended from the team for violating
some code, the incident completely under wraps, mysterious...
URI was completely transparent from the beginning.
Holton was not allowed to finish the year as a student, and then petition to be
reinstated to the team after meeting with Hurley.
He was kicked out. As he should've been.

Remind me again how PC is doing the right thing with this situation?
They had two random PC students interviewed on TV last night saying essentially the
same thing as Cooley, looking incredibly uninformed and insensitive.
"Who cares about the assault?!?!? GO FRIARS!!!!! BEAT UNC!!!
They have the same colors, mascot and fight song as our (not) rival
who we've crushed for four years in a row. We can take them!!!"

My apologies for adding words. This is not something I'm taking lightly.
I'm furious with that school! Shanley's reaction is about the same as when
the Ram was assaulted at their court, denial of any wrong-doing on the
school's part. Driscoll's reaction is STUNNING!!!
And Cooley, well..., maybe it was nothing.

But why were the kids SUSPENDED FOR THE SEASON?!?!?!

NOT FOR NOTHING!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RR,
Good points on Holton. I liked the way URI handled it. To be honest, Holton was my favorite player. But favoritism should not matter whether the player is your best, worst or an up and coming top 100 recruit. URI acted quickly, not a lot of time transpired. Granted there was the Miami warrant violation of probation, there was the stolen laptop, etc. but I have to believe that if this Holton thing had happended at PC it would have been handled much the same as this incident, or the same way and the Rhody Ram getting assaulted in the Men's Room at the Dunk.
The secrecy and the lack of transparency in this recent case at PC could backfire on them. Maybe sometimes it is worse being a Private Institution where there can be a greater leaning towards secrecy -- then get in bigger trouble than if you had just come clean in the first place.

Bottom line:
URI handled the situation fast, transparently and effectively.
PC has done the opposite
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Geez some of you guys get hot n bothered about PC to crazy levels. Let this play out, if the kids are found guilty then the school and Cooley have a lot of egg on their face. If not then they don't. Its possible a sexual crime was committed, its also possible a basketball groupie had her feelings hurt and wants to get paid. No one knows yet.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I take exception to the way that Cooley handled the situation. I think the term suspension is an overstatement and a misnomer. . The players were free to practice with the team, apparently travel w the team and partake in team functions. Then Cooley apparently gave some kind of "recommendation to Oregon on Austin.

To those who question if Holton did not have the Florida problem, he would not have been kicked out of school, Think Again. That is not DH's style. Holton was never playing for DH after the initial charges came forward.

We should be proud of the way that DH runs the program the "character" quality that he appears to demand in his recruits. Hope he stays this way.

This incident only proves that Cooley is a win at any cost guy, too much money on the line. Just a short step away from Huggins and Ford.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Incorrect,
some people DO know. I know of at least 3.

By the way,
got this email from PC (I bought tickets for the URI game before from PC so they think I am a fan)

Featured Watch Party:
The Whiskey Republic is hosting the official watch party for the Friars NCAA Tournament game this Friday night! Complimentary apps from 7-9 for all Friar fans.

Don't wear your URI garb as they might not provide you the free apps
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Ramster, it is funny (or nauseating) to get those Friars emails, isn't it!?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:Ramster, it is funny (or nauseating) to get those Friars emails, isn't it!?
ATP,
It is actually quite funny. The last person in the world who should be getting those emails is me, or at least one of the last.
I won't claim to be the biggest non-PC fan but I have to be Top 5.
I hope PC does not score a single point tonight.
I will be watching the game rooting like crazy for North Carolina and I don't even like Roy Williams.

I wonder if SeanMc gets emails from URI :) :)
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

ramster wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Ramster, it is funny (or nauseating) to get those Friars emails, isn't it!?
ATP,
It is actually quite funny. The last person in the world who should be getting those emails is me, or at least one of the last.
I will be watching the game rooting like crazy for North Carolina and I don't even like Roy Williams.

I'm pretty sure they won't score a single point tonight.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Captainron@ wrote:
ramster wrote:
ATP,

I'm pretty sure they won't score a single point tonight.
:oops: :oops: :oops:
well then let's go for two nights in a row
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

McRam wrote:I take exception to the way that Cooley handled the situation. I think the term suspension is an overstatement and a misnomer. . The players were free to practice with the team, apparently travel w the team and partake in team functions. Then Cooley apparently gave some kind of "recommendation" to Oregon on Austin.
Totally agree with all of this. Add in the fact that he let Bullock participate in the net-cutting after the BET. Guess a "suspension" doesn't mean all that much.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Win at all costs guy?

Is that why he benched his best player at Syracuse bc he wasn't acting like a team leader?

I'm sure suspending Kadeem Batts for the semester really upped PCs chances of winning

Andy Katz recently said that NO ONE in college basketball has a bad word to say about Ed Cooley. He further emphasized how rare that is in such a cut throat business.

I guess he never reads here.

My favorite part of this thread is how the school and Ed have handled this poorly. They have followed the schools policies and state law to the letter; yet that isn't good enough. Neither player has played a minute this year; despite the fact that neither has been charged with a crime or even questioned by the police. Your moderator has it teed up perfectly. If they are guilty, PC recruits thugs . If they aren't charged; it's more PC cronyism working at the state house, out house and local Burger King.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Andy Katz?
The same clown who said Jerry D shouldn't have been fired.
and deserved more time?
Yeah, OK.....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I think you are confusing things a little bit, Sean. I have said that for the most part I don't think Cooley has much to answer for here. Aside from a few questionable decisions, like Bullock participating in the net cutting ceremony, he has navigated a pretty difficult situation well. I also don't blame him for recruiting the players accused in this situation. Unless they had a history of this type of stuff and it was reasonable that he knew about it, he isn't to blame for their bad behavior. They are adults.

However, I would not find it surprising to learn that PC has actively stood in the way of this incident being investigated by the police. It should surprise no one that they would think their internal investigation led by someone they are paying would be superior to that of actual law enforcement. That is their MO. I'm sorry you don't like me saying that, but I stand by it.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Cooley in my view does not look good in this. It was well known back in the Fall that he wanted the suspensions lifted. He further publicly stated that he felt bad for these kids. Given what is alleged along with the fact that PC found some sort of wrongdoing, how could he possibly feel bad for them? The person he should feel bad for is the forgotten victim who it seems gets no mention and felt the need to flee PC. The comments from some of the people at PC (Cooley and Driscoll) come across very badly in my opinion. There is all this support for the alleged assailants yet nothing for the victim. It is little wonder that she felt she had to leave the school?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

RF1,

How do you know what has been offered to the alleged victim?

Without knowing what transpired; how can you judge Cooleys stance? He has the benefit of having all the information. You don't.

Hypothetical: if the state fees there isn't enough evidence to warrant a case. Will you change your tune?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

"As I have said repeatedly in my rants against Providence College, it is much bigger than hoops. This has very little to do with basketball, IMO. As an institution, Providence College is at the center of an insular, incestuous and infinitely corrupt social structure in and around the capital city that permeates all facets of life. Not just basketball. Basketball is the public face of the institution, which is why it draws some of my ire, but it in and of itself is not the problem. It goes much, much deeper than that. And it effects the entire state and is a big reason the state is so strange and backwards compared to its neighbors."

TP,

I'm sorry, but the above statement about PC proves that you have zero objectivity when it comes to all things Smith Hill. You have already tried, convicted and executed the athletes, Shanley, Cooley and and Driscoll based solely on the fact that they are PC.

It's your opinion and you are entitled to it. However it makes it very difficult to take anything you say seriously
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

seanmc94 wrote:RF1,

How do you know what has been offered to the alleged victim?

Without knowing what transpired; how can you judge Cooleys stance? He has the benefit of having all the information. You don't.

Hypothetical: if the state fees there isn't enough evidence to warrant a case. Will you change your tune?

I can only go on what has been done out in the public domain.

I have seen words of support for the alleged assailants from both Cooley and Driscoll and read that one of them was celebrating the tourney champsionship at MSG and helped cut the nets down.

I have not seen public displays of support for the victim. She is rarely ever mentioned. The fact that she saw the need to leave tells me how she views the situation.

The fact that the victim fled the school and an alleged assailant is still there, getting words of support from the administration, and helping to cut down the nets in MSG sends a very troubling message in my view.
Last edited by RF1 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Basketball is the sacred [read: money] cow at PC. They know it, we know it.

Everything can and will be done to make sure it remains that way.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

seanmc94 wrote:My favorite part of this thread is how the school ... handled this poorly. They have followed the schools policies and state law to the letter; yet that isn't good enough.

They did the same concerning the attack on the Rhode Island mascot in their building, no? How'd that secret investigation go? Well enough that all parties connected with Providence College, and all of their fans, were exonerated?

I'm beginning to see a pattern.

GO FRIARS!!!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

If we had our old ram mascots, that would never have happened.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

that was the old ram mascot 85
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

twisted3829 wrote:that was the old ram mascot 85

I think he means the students that wore the costume like the Ram that went after the Hawk or the Ram that sledded down the stairs at Keaney.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The problem with the thought here is that at the time of the investigation, it was simply thought of as a threesome gone wrong. There was no evidence to suggest sexual assault, but rather that the school was putting a zero tolerance on underage basketball players drinking and doing such provocative things. Ed Cooley was clearly on the side of "Kids make mistakes, lets move on." The school said "We are showing basketball players that they don't run the school and are making a stand." The school has endorsed Rodney Bullock as learning from his mistakes, being a good kid, and a good student. Many believe this was an overreactment to the Keno Davis era, and that the punishment would have been less at many other institutions. For that, Ed Cooley is probably thankful for such a lengthy suspension.

Now, if the school hid evidence or manipulated things, they deserve every bad thing that comes to them. But right now, there is no evidence to suggest that. The only thing that makes people question their handling is that 4 months after the initial event, and 3 months after the suspension, the girl decided she wanted Providence PD to investigate. Chances are unless new evidence is circulated (IE a videotape), this will be nothing more than a filed complaint. There is zero evidence that the school protected the players or made light of the situation.
0 x