Providence Police now investigating the suspended pc players

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Re: Providence Police now investigating the suspended pc pla

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

There certainly is evidence that the victim believed Pee-C protected the players, because if she was satisfied with the way things were handled she wouldn't have gone to the police. And given Pee-C's decades of protecting its basketball players, that's no surprise.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

That doesn't mean the victim is right or that PC is in the wrong though. Despite a yearlong suspension for the players, they were always seen as "crazy kids doing freaky things." The girl became labeled as a whore. Couldn't she be trying to find any way to clear her name? If anything, the way it played out at PC made her look worse. No wonder she didn't want to go back to school there.
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:That doesn't mean the victim is right or that PC is in the wrong though. Despite a yearlong suspension for the players, they were always seen as "crazy kids doing freaky things." The girl became labeled as a whore. Couldn't she be trying to find any way to clear her name? If anything, the way it played out at PC made her look worse. No wonder she didn't want to go back to school there.
With respect to the alleged victim, she probably didn't want to go to school there because she was raped.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Despite a yearlong suspension for the players, they were always seen as "crazy kids doing freaky things." The girl became labeled as a whore. Couldn't she be trying to find any way to clear her name?
Any way? Like a police investigation? Yes, especially if she was the victim of a sexual assault. But many seem to have already decided that she isn't. None of us know that one way or the other.

And are we even going to consider the sexual double standard? Let's say the night played out as a consensual threesome- the males are just boys being boys (wink, wink), the female is a slut. Do we see how messed up that is? I saw similar comments from a few here during the Holton discussion when that incident happened. Unreported sexual assaults, not to mention those that cannot be proven, dwarf the number of false accusations, yet the myth of the ashamed, vindictive female persists.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:Despite a yearlong suspension for the players, they were always seen as "crazy kids doing freaky things." The girl became labeled as a whore. Couldn't she be trying to find any way to clear her name?
Any way? Like a police investigation? Yes, especially if she was the victim of a sexual assault. But many seem to have already decided that she isn't. None of us know that one way or the other.

And are we even going to consider the sexual double standard? Let's say the night played out as a consensual threesome- the males are just boys being boys (wink, wink), the female is a slut. Do we see how messed up that is? I saw similar comments from a few here during the Holton discussion when that incident happened. Unreported sexual assaults, not to mention those that cannot be proven, dwarf the number of false accusations, yet the myth of the ashamed, vindictive female persists.
well said ace, very well said
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I'm not "choosing" to believe anyone. Anyone using sports rooting interests as a bias to talk about the handling of an alleged crime is messed up. I have no desire for anyone specific to be right or wrong. If anyone feels otherwise, that's on them... they couldn't have done it because they're on my team? They had to have done it because they're on a team I don't like? Anyone doing that, just stop. You want to believe "good people" who told you their perspective? Ok, I'm not saying that's right or wrong, that's your choice. It's not even about this case for me.

Were the findings of the Providence investigation made public? Or just the end decision?

I honestly do not think you're trying to be offensive, rj, but you acknowledge that it's unfair but then kind of feed into it by saying but yes, maybe that's why she's making this decision. Maybe she made this decision because she feels she's the victim of an assault. We don't know.

I've done enough work with these kind of things to know that the truth, as it really is, does not always come out. I've had both sides in an incident truly believe that what they are saying is accurate. I've also seen guys who come to realize that they actually are guilty of an assault, and they're kind of wrecked by that because they just didn't see it. In those cases, they didn't have the ability to see any other perspective than their own.

edit: As this doesn't seem to make complete sense now, I was responding to a post from rj, but I don't see it anymore.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I like Ed Cooley.....it is PC fans like Sean, peeps, crotchbutter, and others I do not like......when or if Cooley moves to a new coaching gig I will root for him to do well....until then.....?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Ace, I deleted the post. I believe this is a very touchy subject. Based on my beliefs of what I've heard, I have formed opinions. These opinions are largely unsympathetic. I don't like speculation and sometimes do it myself. For that when I think about some of my posts I don't like the way I come across and censor myself.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:The problem with the thought here is that at the time of the investigation, it was simply thought of as a threesome gone wrong. There was no evidence to suggest sexual assault, but rather that the school was putting a zero tolerance on underage basketball players drinking and doing such provocative things. Ed Cooley was clearly on the side of "Kids make mistakes, lets move on." The school said "We are showing basketball players that they don't run the school and are making a stand." The school has endorsed Rodney Bullock as learning from his mistakes, being a good kid, and a good student. Many believe this was an overreactment to the Keno Davis era, and that the punishment would have been less at many other institutions. For that, Ed Cooley is probably thankful for such a lengthy suspension.

Now, if the school hid evidence or manipulated things, they deserve every bad thing that comes to them. But right now, there is no evidence to suggest that. The only thing that makes people question their handling is that 4 months after the initial event, and 3 months after the suspension, the girl decided she wanted Providence PD to investigate. Chances are unless new evidence is circulated (IE a videotape), this will be nothing more than a filed complaint. There is zero evidence that the school protected the players or made light of the situation.

It is IMPOSSIBLE for there not to be shame on PC and Cooley.

Of course they must have known something, and felt that they had to do something eg kind of suspensions.

On the other hand, if they did not know anything, they were absolutely wrong in punishing the players.

Does anyone really believe Cooley suspended Bullock and Austin based solely on a "she said" situation. NO WAY would a coach making the kind of money he makes and the potential $ for the school, suspend highly rated recruits and have one 4 star transfer simply because there is an allegation.

And, for sure, as they did this "investigation" if they really found the lack of proof or innocense on the part of players, they would have been reinstated at that point. And of course they were not re-instated.

Logic says the players did and most likely admitted to Cooley what they did and from that point on Cooley and PC went into damage control.

Shame on them!!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Interesting move on the part of PC with regards to Rodney Bullock. As has been noted, Bullock travels with the team and took part in the new Catholic Big East Championship celebration. He went to San Antonio with the Friars this past week for the NCAA game vs UNC. While he appears to have taken part in nearly all PC hoops activities, the school arranged it so that he did not go to the AT&T Center for a 40 minute shoot around and meet-and-greet with the national media on Thursday. It would appear they did so to avoid having him asked about the alleged rape accusations. Media outside RI (such as the WSJ) broke the story of the victim filing charges and they typically do not have close connections to the program which might cause them to refrain from asking tough questions. With the Friars eliminated from the tournament, it will be interesting to see if the local media plan to investigate the story a bit more given so much of it has been kept secret and hidden from the public . I myself find it very hard to believe that local media members knew nothing of this story and it took the Wall Street Journal to make it public. One has to wonder if certain local media outlets sat on this story to protect the program and their pipeline to it. That would be a total breach of journalistic integrity but I could easily see that happening.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It will also be interesting to see if Cooley interviews for the boston college job. When the kitchen gets hit get out if the kitchen.
Buzz Williams bolts from the NBE for reasons already stated.
Does Cooley bolt for the greener pastures of the ACC? Sure the boston college program is a bottom dweller but they are playing against some if the best basketball programs in the country.
I don't think Cooley is a lock to stay at PC.
But the deciding factor could be this investigation and what is still to come.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Calhoun > cooley

Cooley < skinner

Bc is not even looking at cooley.

No way, no how.
0 x
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

James Paquette ‏@ADJPaq 13h
Wondering if @PCBobDriscoll has received a phone call yet from 617 area code asking for permission to speak with @CoachCooleyPC.
Reply Retweet Favorite More Expand
Bob Driscoll ‏@PCBobDriscoll 9h
@ADJPaq no permission will be given. Ed our coach and will be the Friar Coach for a long time.#gofriars
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is apparent that Cooley thought little of the sexual assault allegations wanting his two players reinstated and was not happy that PC administration handed out 1 year suspensions. While this may have given him reason to ponder other jobs a few months ago, I think the magical season on the court, culminating with the inaugural new Catholic Big East Tournament Championship and NCAA bid, make moving on at this time less likely. I also don't think he would go to BC given all its current problems along with how they treated his mentor Al Skinner. Cooley makes some big money at PC so it would have to be a prime job and sweet offer to snare him away.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

BC is such a difficult job for a coach. They're in a major city with little support for college athletics. The school wants to be top academic institution, with high standards, but also expects to compete at the highest level in sports. In the real world, this is difficult to combine. The odds are against any coach there.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Didn't know anyone needs permission is a free market,
to discuss a job offer.
Cooley isn't going to BC. He's too smart to do that.
The rubber will hit the road, if a BCS school comes calling.
Then we'll see if he is Shaka Smart or Steve Alford.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Sean saying that PC "followed school policy" sounds awfully similar to the Penn State case...
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

. . . especially since "school policy" seems to allow basketball players to get away with murder. Or at least attempted murder.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Rhody Guy wrote:Sean saying that PC "followed school policy" sounds awfully similar to the Penn State case...
If you are going to quote me; get it right. What I stated was PC's school policy is in accordance with RI state law. PSU broke several school policies as well as state and federal laws; but you knew that already didn't you.

The attempted murder line is such garbage; ANYONE with the power to remove that post should be embarrased that it's still up. I guess the circle jerk regarding RF1's well crafted eulogy for the conference that kicked the crap out of the A-10 head to head is still going on.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Sean: Doesn't it bother you that your basketball players have been involved in one criminal incident after another since Mladen (Five-finger Bargain) Filipan more than 40 years ago? At what point does it finally become too much? At long last, have you no shame?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote:Sean: Doesn't it bother you that your basketball players have been involved in one criminal incident after another since Mladen (Five-finger Bargain) Filipan more than 40 years ago? At what point does it finally become too much? At long last, have you no shame?
RIR,

As of today, no charges have been filed. Neither player has been detained. I prefer to let the facts play out according to the laws that govern the state and country. I don't convict someone strictly because of the school they choose to play basketball for. Your comments on this subject are extremely disturbing. You should probably seek professional help.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey