Women's CBB tournament

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Women's CBB tournament

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Why don't they just cancel the entire tournament, except for a cage death match between UConn and Notre Dame?

Anybody think any other team will break that stranglehold?

Why bother? Talk about a foregone conclusion. When the 3rd ranked team in the country, can't play the 1st ranked team within 20 points in 3 tries, what's the point?

The disparity between the top and even the middle of the top 10 in women's hoops is astounding.

And it's not going to get much better as long as Auriemma is coaching UConn.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Women's CBB tournament

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Absolutely no depth in D1 women's hoop. WNCAA tournament just makes this painfully obvious each year.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

UConn and the other top seeds will win their first round games by 50.

Then they will crush their second round opponents by 30. Just the way it is.

UConn always gets their first two rounds in Storrs. Talk about a joke.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

So what? Did UConn break any rules? NO!
Like they say, "Don't complain about getting beaten by plenty.
Figure a way to stop them. If you can't, keep quiet"
I love watching UConn women. It's as close to athletic perfection
as you'll find.
Geno Auriemma is a genius. Anyone who can get 13 women year after year, to be
the best team in a sport for over a decade, must be pretty damned special.
Just think, once upon a time URI women used to beat UConn women.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

There is a lack of competition and a lack of compensation in women's basketball, which leads to things like dynasties and really uneven results. I imagine the UConn women could probably beat the worst D1 women's team by 100 points, whereas I don't think a similar result would happen in the men's game. If you look at the early history of the men's pro leagues, and men's college basketball, you'll see similar disparities, but they tended to even out as the leagues got more competitive. That hasn't happened with women's college basketball.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, I have NO problem with the UConn women dominating the game.

Just stating facts. There aren't many really good women BB players coming out of high school every year.

UConn gets most of them. More power to Geno, really.

He's the John Wooden of the women's game, replacing Summitt.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Women's pro leagues have a 4 year away from high school, which hurts the sport more. The great players in theory only need a year (like men). Granted, I'm sure income inequality in women's sports leagues play into them staying for 4 years, but most WNBA players play year round in multiple leagues and bring home decent money, enough that they could comfortably live and go back to school when their career was over. These schools build dynasties because UCONN for example could get the best players in the country every year, and play them on the court together in the future. Imagine KY or Duke or Kansas if they got to keep their young stars for 4 years? Granted, more good players would end up elsewhere, but a 4 year Wiggins or Parker would be Nba AllStar caliber, playing against boys. It wouldn't even be fun to watch on most nights because they would be so good.

Imagine the KY Allstar roster?

PG - Brandon Knight, Marcus Teague, Andrew Harrison
SG - Doron Lamb, Aaron Harrison
SF - Michael Kidd Gilchrist, Archie Goodwin, James Young
PF - Terrance Jones, Julius Randle
C - Anthony Davis, Nerlena Noel, Willie Cauley-Stein
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Elite 8
Seed/Team/Conference
1 Connecticut AAC
3 Texas A&M SEC
----------
4 North Carolina ACC
2 Stanford PAC12
----------
1 Notre Dame ACC
2 Baylor BIG12
----------
4 Maryland ACC
3 Louisville AAC

Big Upsets this Weekend:
4 Seed North Carolina with a big upset over 1 Seed South Carolina. UNC playing inspired basketball for their Head Coach Sylvia Hatchell who has not Coached since October when she was diagnosed with Leukemia. If UNC beats 2 Seed Stanford in their next game then Doctors have told Hatchell that she can attend the Final 4 to be held in Nashville - what a potential storyline and motivation for UNC to beat Stanford

4 Seed Maryland with a big upset over 1 Seed Tennessee. Maryland now plays 3 Seed Louisville
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Don't see any 7 or 8 seeds there.

The 2 No. 1 seeds that lost, were the 2 weakest of the 1 seeds.

There are some good stories in that Elite 8 for sure, but by the finals we all know who will be playing.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Don't see any 7 or 8 seeds there.
The 2 No. 1 seeds that lost, were the 2 weakest of the 1 seeds.
There are some good stories in that Elite 8 for sure, but by the finals we all know who will be playing.
I know you think that Connecticut and Notre Dame are guaranteed for the Chanpionship but I don't think so. I know they are both undefeated but the other 6 teams in the Elite 8 are very good.
North Carolina just beat 1 Seed South Carolina and they are bound and determined to win this for their Coach who has battled Leukemia since last October. Diamond Deshields is a great player and only a Freshman but she is relentless and basically will refuse to lose. She could carry her team to the Championship Game.
Maryland is tough as well Lexie Brown is an excellent player, the daughter of former Celtic Dee Brown.
It's very interesting to see these Freshmen blossom in the Tournament - we are seeing it in the men's side as well.
Baylor is very capable of upsetting Notre Dame tonight - but it is true that Connecticut and Notre Dame are outstanding teams.
0 x