Ending "One and Dones?"

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Ending "One and Dones?"

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

"We believe the additional year of maturity would be meaningful. And increasingly, I've been told by many NBA coaches that one of the issues with the younger guys coming into the league is they've never had an opportunity to lead. By having come directly out of their first year of college, those are the moments in their lives where…they were put in positions as upper classmen, where they first learned how to lead teammates. And ultimately, if you look at our most successful teams, they're successful because they play as a team and I think that's one of the beauties of this game is that it's such an interesting mix of team play and at the same time individual (skill).

A team plays together with individual attributes. It's that blend that teams are always constantly trying to achieve, the perfect blend. Again though, it's one of those issues (where) it needs to be collectively bargained, and for good reason. It's something that during collective bargaining the last time, we had lots of discussions about it with the group of players who were representing the union at the time and I think it's something that we should continue to discuss. Let me just throw in that at the same time, I think maybe, just to broaden my horizons a little bit, I'm trying to look at it not just from the perspective of the NBA because I believe strong college basketball is also beneficial to the NBA and to the game generally. So even if it's not terrible for the NBA right now, at least talking to a lot of my college coaching friends and college (athletic director) friends, their view is (that) one and done is a disaster. I think this is one of these issues that the larger basketball community needs to come together and address, not just the NBA owners and our players. Youth basketball and college basketball should have a seat at the table as well."

-Adam Silver

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... -age-limit
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Ending "One and Dones?"

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yes, Yes Yes!!! Mandatory 2yrs NCAA.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I hate this. He's absolutely right that one and dones are a disaster, but making kids that have no business in college stay longer will just make college basketball worse. It should go back to the old system of if a player is good enough to make the NBA out of high school than they skip college. This plan will help the NBA with development and scouting issues, but hurt college basketball by adding more academic problems. Either the APR system will have to be scrapped/totally overhauled or you're going to see a rash of academic fraud scandals like the one UNC is battling right now.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Not in favor of this - It minimizes risk for the NBA and maximizes the benefit for the NCAA / college basketball at the expense of individual athletes. I'm also not sure if there is any proof that *all* players are better served by two to four years of college. Some players clearly needed it. Some players - Haseem Thabeet - probably did nothing to improve their NBA peak by staying in college. And some guys - Lebron James - clearly had no need for college hoops in the first place.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/i ... ption-ncaa

I much prefer this version of how to mature players before they're allowed in the NBA. It allows kids that have no business being in college to play basketball as a job instead of pretending, allows them to mature before they enter the league, and gives extra scouting time to the NBA teams.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

If the NCAA mandated 2 years of college, before players could go pro, it would mean the end of Kentucky BB as we know it, as long as Calipari is there.

Would NOT have a problem with that!!!!
0 x