Men's Soccer Head Coaching Change - Gareth Elliott Hired!!

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
neil
Art Stephenson

Men's Soccer Head Coaching Change - Gareth Elliott Hired!!

Unread post by neil »

Coach O'Connor will not be back next year as coach of the Rams. Major handwriting on the wall with back to back losing seasons, especially losing the last two combined 10-0. Let's get someone who can turn this program back to where it was, especially under Bradley.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Re: soccer coach gone

Unread post by Ramulous »

Coach Bradley was one of my favorite people in the world, a heck of a coach, and a very hard act to follow.

Let's hope Thorr does as well with this coach as he can.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

It's going to very hard to find someone as effective as Bradley. I fear we need truly exceptional coaches to win in any sport at URI.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

From GoRhody.com:
http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-soccer/ ... 11058vxvo9

Contract Will Not Be Renewed for Men's Soccer Head Coach John O'Connor
KINGSTON, R.I. - The University of Rhode Island will not renew the contract of men's soccer head coach John O'Connor, Director of Athletics Thorr Bjorn announced on Nov. 5, 2012.

"I would like to thank John O'Connor for his years of service to the University of Rhode Island," Bjorn said. "We wish him the best of luck in his future endeavors."

O'Connor finished his seven-year run as URI's head coach with a 52-64-19 (.456) overall record and a 32-25-6 (.556) mark in Atlantic 10 conference games. In his first year with the program, Rhody captured the Atlantic 10 championship, was ranked as high as 19th in the nation and advanced to the second round of the 2006 NCAA Tournament. This past season, the Rams finished 4-11-3 (.306) overall and 3-5-1 in the A-10.

A national search for Rhode Island's next men's soccer head coach will commence immediately.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

What does Hurley know about soccer? Sign him up...
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Uness URI hits an absolute homerun in hiring, don't expect much to change. The success of URI athletic programs is mostly all tied to the coach. There is no system in place which sets things up for success. When Rhody teams excel, it is not because of the school. It is sadly done so in spite of the school. The athletic programs at URI do not get the intitutional support required to succeed on a continuing basis.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:The success of URI athletic programs is mostly all tied to the coach.
ATPTourFan wrote:It's going to very hard to find someone as effective as Bradley. I fear we need truly exceptional coaches to win in any sport at URI.
Looks like RF1 and I agree on this one.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

RF1 wrote:Uness URI hits an absolute homerun in hiring, don't expect much to change. The success of URI athletic programs is mostly all tied to the coach. There is no system in place which sets things up for success. When Rhody teams excel, it is not because of the school. It is sadly done so in spite of the school. The athletic programs at URI do not get the intitutional support required to succeed on a continuing basis.

I disagree that there is no institutional support; especially for soccer.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Right, perhaps there is, but it has to be done slowly and in stages. This year they invested in the soccer facility. Maybe they knew a coaching change was very likely or locked in, so this investment is in advance of a new era of soccer.

I would expect the Athletic Dept to point to the facility upgrade and firing of an underperforming coach as signs of support. Let's see who they get as a replacement.
0 x
CTmfj
Jim Eitner

Unread post by CTmfj »

Are there any updates on this? Have they made a hire yet?
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

They don't. Last I heard they have a couple finalists that have visited.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

Bradley's strongest suit was recruiting

maybe Hurley can help there :)
0 x
JFrech21
Jeff Kent

Unread post by JFrech21 »

A while back I had heard that Gareth Elliot was being considered. He played at URI and was an assistant here then he got the head coaching job at Siena.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Would LOVE to have him back!!!
He has done a nice job at siena, but I have no idea what their record has been.
Gareth is a great guy, and he would get it done again here.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

This from the siena site, posted before this year's 10-7 (6-1) record.

Gareth Elliott enters his fifth year as head coach of the Siena men's soccer program. Named the sixth head coach in program history on Jan. 9, 2008, Elliott has led the Saints to a 32-33-9 (.493) overall record including an 18-13-5 (.569) mark in the MAAC. Both his overall and MAAC winning percentages are the best of any coach in program history.

In nine seasons as a collegiate coach (five as an assistant and four as head coach) and four years as a player, his squads have posted winning records 12 times in 13 years. At Siena, Elliott has coached the first three student athletes in program history to sign professional contracts. Steve Covino and Joey Tavernese inked pro deals with FC New York of the United Soccer League in 2011 and Tavernese and Nick Viaggio are currently playing for Armadale SC in Australia.

In 2011, Elliott guided the Saints to their first-ever wins over nationally ranked opponents. Siena earned victories over both 15th ranked Ohio State and 16th ranked Iona. Additionally, Siena won its first MAAC Tournament game since 2007, thrashing defending conference champion Saint Peter's, 5-1 in the quarterfinals. The Saints were led by a strong defense in 2011 which ranked 34th nationally allowing just 0.89 goals per game - the second lowest total in program history.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

If Rudder likes him, I defer to Rudder's expert soccer intellect.
0 x
CTmfj
Jim Eitner

Unread post by CTmfj »

I remember Gareth as a player. He was a fantastic leader and an even better person. He was a key part of to URI's success as both a player and an assistant coach. In fact, I'm not sure if the team has even made the A10 playoffs since his departure.

I was just on Siena's website and it looks like he was coach of the year in the MAAC this season and one of his players was the conference's player of the year. http://www.sienasaints.com/sports/m-soc ... 12aaa.html

He also had two academic all americans this year..... getting it done on the field and in the classroom. Very Impressive!
http://www.sienasaints.com/sports/m-soc ... 12aaa.html

It wasn't too long ago that URI was a nationally respected program. If the powers that be want to see the team return to the NCAA tournament, hiring Gareth as the next head coach is a no brainer. URI would be foolish not to bring him back to campus!
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Gareth Elliot was hired today, which I'm really excited about. I might go to a few soccer games this year, which will be the first ones I've been to since O'Connor's first year.

Gareth Elliott Returns to Rhode Island as Men's Soccer Head Coach

KINGSTON, R.I. - University of Rhode Island Director of Athletics Thorr Bjorn has announced the hiring of Gareth Elliott as head coach of the URI men's soccer team. Elliott - who previously led the Rams to the NCAA tournament as both a player and an assistant coach - returns to Kingston after spending the last five years as the head coach at Siena College.

"We are very excited to welcome Gareth back to the University of Rhode Island, where he starred for Coach Ed Bradley's championship teams," Bjorn said. "I am confident in his ability to have us not only competing for and winning the Atlantic 10 Championship, but also challenging for an NCAA title. His passion for Rhody soccer is contagious and I look forward to working with him to bring our program back to national prominence."

In five seasons at Siena, Elliott turned the best winning percentage of any coach in program history as he guided the Saints to an
overall record of 42-40-9 (.511) and a 24-14-5 (.616) mark in the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC). He also mentored the first three student-athletes in program history who went on to play professionally.

"I am excited and honored to accept the position of head coach at the University of Rhode Island," said Elliott. "I would like to thank Thorr Bjorn and [Associate AD/Search Committee Chair] Sue Bergen for the opportunity to return to Kingston and lead my alma mater."

Read the full release at GoRhody.com
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Great news!! Sent Thorr an email of congratulations and gratitude.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Re: Men's Soccer Head Coaching Change - Gareth Elliott Hired

Unread post by neil »

Congratulations Gareth - I saw him play a number of times under Coach Bradley. One would assume that part of his success comes from his former coach in Kingston.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

This is good, make that great, news!
Hope we can challenge for the A-10 title
soon, and get back to the dance.
It's great to hear Thorr talking about
a national title.

Let's get this done, and get all three of the
teams that have traditionally been the program
anchors, yes football too, back to respectability.
Then follow that up with some NCAA appearances!
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Gareth was introduced to the crowd last night.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I know The Dude and I gave him a huge ovation.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

They interviewed during halftime on the broadcast as well. I wont pretend to know much about URI soccer, but he said all the right things. I'll be rooting for him.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
CTmfj
Jim Eitner

Unread post by CTmfj »

GREAT NEWS!!!
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I saw the interview as well and I also know nothing about soccer but Elliott certainly talked the talk. I know the jury is still out on Thorr's recent hires but I've been impressed with Michael Needham, Dan Hurley and now Gareth Elliott. I've been down on Thorr in the past but as it stands now I like his recent hires.

All that said, I thought Inglese would be a great hire for women's bball and how has that worked out. Jury still out on Thorr and his hires but he is certainly putting his handprints all over the athletic program in the last year plus.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

I touched on this in the other thread, but I don't think you can hold Cathy Inglese against Thorr. The results aren't there, but she very recently was an NCAA coach, and turned BC and Vermont into winners.

It was a good hire with crappy results. That happens sometimes.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Hate to say it, but the women's program was really driven into the ground by Tommy G.
0 x