FWIAHS-VILLANOVA

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

FWIAHS-VILLANOVA

Unread post by bressler3south »

The Friars have dropped their last 28 road games against ranked teams, with the last victory coming Jan. 24, 2004, at then-No. 4 Connecticut.

Must be contagious………

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

P.S.Wonder if Austin will be sitting behind the Villanova bench??????
NOW, THAT WOULD BE EMBARRASSING!
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: FWIAHS-VILLANOVA

Unread post by ace »

I'm watching it on FS1.

It is not going well for the people who are not playing for Villanova.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Tough couple of days in friar town
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

First half was such a blood bath that I lost control of the TV and my wife put on the damn Bachelor. Damnit Friars.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Went on their board to read their comments after tonight's game. Bloodbath is putting it mildly.

Anyone who thinks we are negative here, ought to check out that mess.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I've never had any interest in reading the Friar board before, and don't know where to find it. Does anyone have a link to it?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Just google "pc friar message board". It's the scout board.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wow! I watched the game after the disappointing Green Bay-9ers game.
What an ass kicking. If it wasn't for Cotton it would have been a 50 point
loss.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

The plane is finally in Philly for the flight home…….
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87lalFUzMi8&safe=active
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

crotchbutter
Member 254 posts this site Posted: Yesterday 3:52 PM
RE: Austin transferring
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh let's see the Sox didn't win a World Series in 86 years and will you look at that they've won 3 in the last 10 years.
The Patriots were the laughing stock of the NFL for 40 years and wouldn't you know it they won 3 Super Bowls in a 4 year period.
PC sucked in the first 8 years of the Big East and then they made the Final Four.
I guess history is not always an indicator of things to come.
peeps4life wrote: have we not seen the thrills of good recruiting classes in the past? how can you NOT use history as an indicator for what is likely to happen?
Welcome to the Ryan Center the Friars "home away from home".

Note the tagline for all of his posts from our old friend "Crotchbutter". Some on the PC Board think he might be our old nemises "DarthFriar".
Wonder if our site fairness monitor SeanMc will criticize Crotch for this antic?? :D
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Natives in FriarLand are getting restless. Some saying Cooley could be leaving. Others getting on Cooley as with Crotchbutter below/
Taglines for SeanMc in the past have been "Friartown is LedoTown" - we all know how that turned out even though many of us tried to tell Sean Ledo would never play a minute for the Firars.
The there is the tagline "Gentlemen, meet the focus machine". A lot of the gee whiz stuff that Cooley once possessed seems to be wearing off. Funny to watch the mutiny starting to emerge there.

crotchbutter Member
254 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Nominate | ReportPosted: Yesterday 4:13 PM
RE: All this talk about Cooley leaving
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Give it a rest SSFF if these 2 players had done this on Keno's watch this board would have been all over him. Cooley was brought in to clean up the program and to stop the bad publicity and now this happens, along with the Henton incident.
How come when Batts performed so well last season this board was praising Cooley for his improvement but with Batts step back in his play why doesn't anyone blame Cooley?
And SSFF do you really believe Cooley has been a good x's and o's coach in his 2 plus years because I sure don't.
southsidefriarfan wrote:
peeps4life wrote: i'm not sure why anyone here can think that cooley needs pc more than pc needs cooley.
because Peeps, these are all the same fans that had a conniption fit when he was hired an never rally wanted him in the first place. So even after proving he was more then capable of running our program now its only natural for them same folks to knock him down with such irrelevant facts like he has never made the NCAA......They must think every AD in America is as narrow minded as they are.....
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I guess our RPI just went back down.....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The wheels are certainly quickly coming off the wagon on this season...
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

If URI fans are unhappy about this season, after having great
expectations, imagine being a PC follower?
The hits just keep on coming.
Not getting the criticism of Cooley, though.
The man does as much as he can with a short roster, and has done a great
job bringing in players of high caliber. They just can't seem to get
on the floor for one reason or another.
You have to wonder, though, how this Austin-Bullock affair will affect recruiting?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:The wheels are certainly quickly coming off the wagon on this season...
fj,
Do you think that Cooley could opt out for the Boston College job or other?
Do you think that Driscoll survives to next year?
It is interesting to see how players perform when the opponent is not Maine, or UNH, or Brown, etc but the likes of LSU, Villanova, etc.
Pure team speed, leaping ability, talent, defense and so on can be quite different. Players for PC like Harris and Derosiers looked out of their league last night. Fortune to me almost always looks out of his league. Henton and Cotton looked in their league as would be expected.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I just want to know what type of person puts himself out there in a public forum as "crotchbutter."
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Crotchbutter = Brutus, our old friend.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Also our old friend Darth. The larger pc boosters would just like this psychopath to go away.

GO RHODY!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'd be disappointed if this cretin was Darth.
However, I have my doubts, due to some
things I've read.
As for the name, why not Mr. Smegma?
By the way, I've had a change of heart on peeps4life.
He's actually pretty funny.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

haha, yeah i wonder where our boy Mr Focus Machine, aka Hall Monitor is right about now? conveniently goes quiet whenever there is trouble in Friartown. I wonder how he is so focused, when half his day is spent trolling a rival team's message board. That's some kind of weird.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:The wheels are certainly quickly coming off the wagon on this season...
fj,
Do you think that Cooley could opt out for the Boston College job or other?
Do you think that Driscoll survives to next year?
It is interesting to see how players perform when the opponent is not Maine, or UNH, or Brown, etc but the likes of LSU, Villanova, etc.
Pure team speed, leaping ability, talent, defense and so on can be quite different. Players for PC like Harris and Derosiers looked out of their league last night. Fortune to me almost always looks out of his league. Henton and Cotton looked in their league as would be expected.
I don't think Cooley would leave, not for a lateral move to a school whose administration is virtually as strict. Plus, would BC let Cooley take chances on guys who are true academic liabilities?

As much as I love integrity and good morals, unfortunately I believe you can't sweat the little things. The kids had too much fun and deserved a suspension, but how long do you think they would sit at a power school like KY or UNC or UCLA for the same thing? 2 games? 3 games? So if you want to suspend them 8 games or a semester to prove a point, I'm cool with that. But a year for that?

The lack of depth has proven huge. At one point in the 1st half Cooley had to put in a freshman walkon to prove a point. Guys run around lost and what do you do with them? Between the ineligible, injured, and Keno players, it's a huge graveyard. Once Cooley can finally get all of his guys on the court, the team will be much different.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Cooley isn't going anywhere, that seems to be premature and ridiculous fear by their fans or speculation by outsiders. I am sure he is frustrated by not having Austin, but I doubt he is the type to run from the adversity.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

A move to BC would not be a lateral move....they are in the ACC with BCS football and bigtime revenue.....pc is a mid major in the best mid major league but I think the ACC generates about 4 times the television revenue than the new big east.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Fox's best ratings so far on BE basketball was 360.000 viewers for
PC-KY.
I think the Lint Channel has more viewers.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Ramulous,

You are correct about the ACC revenue but you have to remember most of that goes directly to the football program. BC basketball is the 3rd program up there, behind football and hockey. They have not dedicated many resources to the basketball program, and just look at the fan support? Even when they were good they struggled to draw well towards the end of the Skinner era. That, and the fact they don't want to have to pay a coach. Will they pay Cooley the $2 million+ necessary to pry him away from Providence? Doubtful given current basketbal expenditures. Cooley isn't going to take a $1 million annual pay cut to go coach for a cellar dwellar in the ACC. I'm sure he would at least listen if they were willing to go to $2.5 million, but what evidence is there of that?

Rod,

Unfortunately, the ratings are what they are. Sadly, those are good enough to easily make Fox Sports 1 the 2nd best sports station on the market, just continues to show how strong ESPN had it's grasp on the market. FS1 had a very good December ratings wise, but they aren't going to approach ESPN until they get a marquee sport like the NBA.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

BC will have to pay to compete with the other ACC schools......even if they are on the bottom rung.....I believe football money already gets spread around to the other sports.....basketball will follow suit because although football generates the big tv money....the ACC is known for basketball.....
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

ramster wrote:Natives in FriarLand are getting restless. Some saying Cooley could be leaving. Others getting on Cooley as with Crotchbutter below/
Taglines for SeanMc in the past have been "Friartown is LedoTown" - we all know how that turned out even though many of us tried to tell Sean Ledo would never play a minute for the Firars.
The there is the tagline "Gentlemen, meet the focus machine". A lot of the gee whiz stuff that Cooley once possessed seems to be wearing off. Funny to watch the mutiny starting to emerge there.

crotchbutter Member
254 posts this site
Ignore this Member
Give it a rest SSFF if these 2 players had done this on Keno's watch this board would have been all over him. Cooley was brought in to clean up the program and to stop the bad publicity and now this happens, along with the Henton incident.
How come when Batts performed so well last season this board was praising Cooley for his improvement but with Batts step back in his play why doesn't anyone blame Cooley?
And SSFF do you really believe Cooley has been a good x's and o's coach in his 2 plus years because I sure don't.
southsidefriarfan wrote:
peeps4life wrote: i'm not sure why anyone here can think that cooley needs pc more than pc needs cooley.
because Peeps, these are all the same fans that had a conniption fit when he was hired an never rally wanted him in the first place. So even after proving he was more then capable of running our program now its only natural for them same folks to knock him down with such irrelevant facts like he has never made the NCAA......They must think every AD in America is as narrow minded as they are.....
Ramster,

Always pointing out when he's right(b/c you KNEW Ledo was going to bolt right?) and rewriting history when he's wrong. Remember when you said that Delroy James and Wil Martel were better than Marshon Brooks? That was a riot! No one's turning on Cooley(except for the yahoos). I do question the long term commitment to big time athletics by PC. No one wants a bunch of meat heads running around campus illiterate; but you can't have it both ways. These kids have been suspended for th year without a single question by law enforcement. The 60 day "when will they be back" dance was an embarrasment and the coach isn't happy.

It will get used against Cooley on the recruiting trail. IMHO, it puts his long term future at Providence in question. Why fight with one hand tied behind your back?

BTW, if you take anything a guy named crotchbutter says seriously, well thats on you. However, under Cooley, his tagline is accurate.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

One Yahoo with money turning on you is one Yahoo with money too many….

Is this going to mushroom into the Cooley Camp vs. the Driscoll Camp?????

I'll venture a guess that the Driscoll Camp would win.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Where would Cooley go if he left PC?

His best chance is to stay and hope some of his recruits actually play for him.

What has he won so far?

I doubt he leaves. He might want to, but might not have any viable alternatives.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Driscoll and Cooley are in the same camp.
Cooley can't leave now; I was referring to his first opportunity. Before I had doubts that he would leave if he proved he could win here. Now, I think he would leave.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

My reference to the "two camps" was the probability of supporter-driven-division…..
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

So far, Cooley has proven he can get talent to commit to play for PC, getting them to actually PLAY for PC is the problem.

If that continues, he's not going to win there.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

seanmc94 wrote:
ramster wrote:Natives in FriarLand are getting restless. Some saying Cooley could be leaving. Others getting on Cooley as with Crotchbutter below/

crotchbutter Member
254 posts this site
Ignore this Member
southsidefriarfan wrote:
Ramster,

Always pointing out when he's right(b/c you KNEW Ledo was going to bolt right?) and rewriting history when he's wrong. Remember when you said that Delroy James and Wil Martel were better than Marshon Brooks? That was a riot! No one's turning on Cooley(except for the yahoos). I do question the long term commitment to big time athletics by PC. No one wants a bunch of meat heads running around campus illiterate; but you can't have it both ways. These kids have been suspended for th year without a single question by law enforcement. The 60 day "when will they be back" dance was an embarrasment and the coach isn't happy.
It will get used against Cooley on the recruiting trail. IMHO, it puts his long term future at Providence in question. Why fight with one hand tied behind your back?
BTW, if you take anything a guy named crotchbutter says seriously, well thats on you. However, under Cooley, his tagline is accurate.
SeanMc,
Delroy versus Brooks
Given the choice today I still take Delroy James over Marshon Brooks.
Delroy continues to play very well in Europe and known for his offensive skills, rebounding, team play and especially his defense - an all around solid team player.
Brooks is a great offensive player but stuggles with involving teammates, moving without the ball on offense and especially with his defense.
Two different styles but Delroy brings the complete game - my choice but admittedly I could be prejudiced. Going head to head URI with PC Delroy was our go-to guy and Brooks was yours.
Me saying at the time I'd also take Martell over Brooks was at the heat of the pregame to PC-URI and was to get your goat and all the other PC Trolls posting on our Board at the time - you know who they were including Crotchbutter, DarthFriar, etc etc. Must have been at least 8 of them - some of whom masqueraded at URI fans.

Friartown is Ledotown
Did I know that Ledo would never play a minute for PC? I was 95% sure. You don't go to 4 different high schools, bounce around constantly and then expect that he will all of a sudden become this loyal student at any university.
There were 8 different threads on our own URI Board about Ledo many of which blamed Baron for not successfully recruiting him to URI. It was mayhem around here on this one player - total insanity and for a guy we never even recruited.
You chose to make "Friartown is Ledotown" as your tagline for a long time. I don't think the point is so much that I was right (for example I did not make a tagline saying "Ledo will not ever play a minute for PC") but more where you were wrong with your tagline and belief that Ledo was going to be this great superstar and savior of PC Basketball.

http://www.court-side.com/news/blog/del ... -brindisi/
Delroy James heads to Enel Brindisi
American-Guyanese player Delroy James (203 cm, Rhode Island’11) is a new addition to Enel Brindisi’s roster for 2013-14. The 26-year-old James played for FMC Ferentino from Italy’s Lega Due in the 2012-13 season.
Delroy averaged 16.2 ppg and 6.1 rpg for FMC Ferentino in 28 games in the Italian Lega Due. He was an excellent defender, averaging 2.3 spg and 1.1 bpg. His talent and athleticism earned him the Italian Lega Due All-Star Game MVP honors in 2013.
In 2011-12 he played for Bnei Eshet Tours Hasharon from Israel’s Winner league and there he averaged 16.1 ppg and 7.7 rpg in 10 games. In January 2012 he moved to the Tulsa 66ers (D-League), where he posted averages of 8.8 ppg and 4.8 rpg in 26 games.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.s ... _d-le.html
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Yes I thought Ledo would be a great player for PC. I assumed the admin would fight to get him on the floor. Turns out I was wrong.

Marshon got drafted in the first round. Delray plays in Europe.

He ate his lunch head to head

Ballgame
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Some similarities with the Ledo and Lamar situations.
URI shrunk away from putting Lamar on the floor for his first year here,
and I'm convinced, they lost a good shot at being NCAA champs
because of their decision.
PC kept Ledo out last year, knowing there was a good chance he'd
declare for the draft, and wound up never having him play a single game.
No winners there.
At least we saw Lamar on the court for one year. Not the one that would have
mattered most, though.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

True, but it was the year that mattered most to him….the whirlwind of his life came to a pause.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Under the circumstances that each player arrived on his respective campus, the schools would have had to have had an NCAA death wish and no respect for their actual purpose for existing in the first place if they had let Lamar or Ledo play their first years on campus. Yes, maybe it cost URI a Final Four and possibly a championship, which would have been amazing as a basketball fan. As someone who cares about the larger university, though, I'm glad we didn't go there. PC fans feel the same way, I would hope.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Some similarities with the Ledo and Lamar situations.
URI shrunk away from putting Lamar on the floor for his first year here,
and I'm convinced, they lost a good shot at being NCAA champs
because of their decision.
PC kept Ledo out last year, knowing there was a good chance he'd
declare for the draft, and wound up never having him play a single game.
No winners there.
At least we saw Lamar on the court for one year. Not the one that would have
mattered most, though.
I don't believe that PC made any decision at all on Ledo in Year One. It was made for them by the NCAA who ruled Ledo was not eligible. They tried to get him on the court.

As for Lamar, I believe it was URI that mandated that he sit out the year. I don't think it was a decision made by the NCAA. URI's actions however may have been pro-active expecting that the NCAA would likely not make him immediately eligible.

In the end, both Ledo and Odom had issues because of the many high schools they attended. Lamar also had further questions reagarding his standardized test scores and initial recruitment by UNLV.

URI lucked out as Lamar decided to stick around for a 2nd year and suit up while PC got shafted when Ricky made the decision to bolt.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I've always found the argument interesting in that if you could win at all costs in a 3 year window, would you do it? From what I've heard, many UMASS fans still look fondly at the Calipari years, despite what happened afterwards because of how excited at the time.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The UMass thing was a little different though, because the coach was able to quarantine the shadiness within the basketball program. I don't think the President of the university signed off on it at the time, and it was an issue of improper benefits in recruiting not having someone that isn't qualified to be a student at your school playing for your basketball team. Therefore, the integrity of the whole institution wasn't compromised. With the Lamar and Ledo situations, everyone knew what the deal was.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I've always found the argument interesting in that if you could win at all costs in a 3 year window, would you do it? From what I've heard, many UMASS fans still look fondly at the Calipari years, despite what happened afterwards because of how excited at the time.
I agree RJ, its an interesting argument. I'll be 100% honest and say I'm not sure which side I would fall on. The lure of that 3 year window would be awfully enticing to me.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The excitement over the Elite 8 run, and all the possibilities that seemed
open to URI basketball, and the Sweet 16 run ten years before that,
are something that the newbies here have yet to experience.
We've been irrelevant for mostly the last decade and a half, anyway, and not because of any sanctions.
So, what negatives could there be from being the best, even for a short time?
I'll take it.
Here comes the "oh, you don't really care about the university, anyway", crapola.
Do you think FSU administrators or followers are having guilt pangs today over
the events around Winston, that were possibly covered up by big football interests?
Doubtful.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:The excitement over the Elite 8 run, and all the possibilities that seemed
open to URI basketball, and the Sweet 16 run ten years before that,
are something that the newbies here have yet to experience.
We've been irrelevant for mostly the last decade and a half, anyway, and not because of any sanctions.
So, what negatives could there be from being the best, even for a short time?
I'll take it.
Here comes the "oh, you don't really care about the university, anyway", crapola.
Do you think FSU administrators or followers are having guilt pangs today over
the events around Winston, that were possibly covered up by big football interests?
Doubtful.
Kind of with you on this one Rod. I was a freshman at URI starting in 1999, so I just missed some of the good days. I went in thinking we were ready to start a trend of winning, boy did I end up being wrong.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

An interesting scenario that Rod brought up.

Who here, would have taken a national championship if Lamar had played his 1st year here, knowing [of course you couldn't at the time] that it would be vacated a few years later?

I guess for the short term, things would have been amazing around here until that happened. Would it have been worth it?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

It's fine for fans to want that. It is quite another for the President of the university to go along with such a scheme.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, UCLA won 11 championships with Sam Gilbert doing all sorts of
things that went unpunished.
John Wooden claimed no knowledge of Gilbert's actions.
Think anyone in Westwood has guilt over that stuff?
How many were culpable?
These things are more rampant in bigtime football schools.
There's big dollars to be made, increased school recognition and a rising tide that
raises all boats.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:It's fine for fans to want that. It is quite another for the President of the university to go along with such a scheme.
Yeah, fair point.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, that answers my question.

I would have taken that chance too.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

ask UMASS, Michigan and Memphis...vacated runs don't lose their luster. Think USC really cares about Reggie Bush giving back the Heisman...

URI probably wins a title with Odom. Would have been a special team.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Things are REALLY getting hot now for Cooley:

http://eastgreenwich.patch.com/groups/p ... achs-house
0 x