PC Email Blast Screw Up had Bob Driscol Apologizing

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
ramster
Frank Keaney

PC Email Blast Screw Up had Bob Driscol Apologizing

Unread post by ramster »

I got this in my email because I am on PC's Distribution List (having bought tickets for PC - URI Games in the past :D
Can't believe that some nitwit sent out the email saying they had won the game in 3 OTs

Big question SeanMc and SFLY - did the person who sent this out have to "Gentlemen - Meet the Focus Machine"? :oops: :oops: :oops: :D :D :D
First email Subject Line:
Friars Win in 3OT! :oops:
FROM Providence Friars TO You
Second Email Subject Line:
CORRECTED - Friars Lose To Seton Hall 81-80 (2OT)
FROM Providence Friars TO You

Subject Line of Apologizing Email from Bob Dricsoll Today
Dear Friar Fans,
I want to apologize for the inaccurate email that was sent following Tuesday's difficult loss to Seton Hall. This type of mistake is unacceptable. I am implementing new policies to prevent this from happening in the future.
We are fortunate to have so many great fans and we appreciate all of your support, passion and generosity. Thank you for all that you do for Friartown.
Happy New Year! Go Friars!
Bob Driscoll
Athletic Director
Providence College Athletics
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: PC Email Blast Screw Up had Bob Driscol Apologizing

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

After the way the last two games have ended, this couldn't have come at a poorer time
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I know that it is PR 101 to never give the real reason that something like that happens, but it is kind of amazing that a mistake like that could happen and I'd love to know how it did. I'd also think they'd offer something in the way of an explanation, even if it is total BS (especially in light of what rj said).
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Man you'd be surprised. If this wasnt a public message board I would have some great stories for you guys. These types of things happen more than you'd think. You just have to hope someone like Deadspin never picks up on it...
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

adam914 wrote:Man you'd be surprised. If this wasnt a public message board I would have some great stories for you guys. These types of things happen more than you'd think. You just have to hope someone like Deadspin never picks up on it...
Yeah, this. There is a reason that most experienced copy editors remove "pubic" from their Word dictionary, since it's very easy to mix it up with public.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Ok, SG. I get that but you're talking about a typo (a passive mistake) versus putting out an email with information that was never true (as opposed to dated info) that someone had to have actively typed out and pushed "send."
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

TruePoint wrote:Ok, SG. I get that but you're talking about a typo (a passive mistake) versus putting out an email with information that was never true (as opposed to dated info) that someone had to have actively typed out and pushed "send."
Haha yeah, even this happens more then you'd think. Sometimes people just aren't right for the jobs they were hired for. I can probably tell you exactly how it happened. Someone was prepping the email in case PC won it in the 3rd OT. You always prep several versions to cover different scenarios, and someone simply hit send or accidentally scheduled it when they shouldn't have.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Isn't this the guy and dept that questioned the assault of the Ram mascot at one of his home games a few years back? Would really seem he doesn't have a handle on things.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Do they really need the email to go out that quickly after the game that they have to make up a version that did not happen? I get sports journalists who write articles in the third quarter to meet a paper deadline but geeze you would think you could wait until you made it to a third OT to come up with that email. What emails did they have that did not got out? PC wins in 4 OTs, PC wins in 5 OTs? Was there a 6 OT email on the burner?

If I was a PC fan I would probably be pissed that the team jinxed the game away.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Mountain out of mole-hill…..Adam is 100% correct. But, that's what happens sometimes in the Instantaneous World.
Imagine the 1948 Truman-Dewey headline occurring in 2016?!?!?!?!?!? The explanation from Dewey's Chief-of-Staff, Bob Driscoll:

Dear Devoted Republican Voters,
I want to apologize for the inaccurate headline that was sent following Tuesday's difficult loss to President Truman. This type of mistake is unacceptable. I am implementing new policies to prevent these final tallies from happening in the future.
We are fortunate to have so many great voters and we appreciate all of your support, passion and generosity. Thank you for all that you do for America…..

P.S. Wonder whatever happened to the editor of The Chicago Sun-Times who okayed the first run of that issue???? That's right, he's the one who sent the e-mail!!!!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=425&f=1323&t=12535920

3 pages and 50 posts on this subject on Friartown Board
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Read six or seven posts and was disgusted at how petty the "discussion" was! "BillyHoyle33" wrote it best:

"Definitely did not need to be publicly addressed by Driscoll.
Did you guys really need an apology because someone hit "send" on the wrong draft?
I'm now more embarrassed by Bob's e-mail than I am of the original mistake."

Then there was some clown demanding a voucher…..What a joke!
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

This, really, is the problem in Friar-Land:

So here you have your breadwinner program that every year is in a struggle to keep its season ticket holders and donors because of mediocre performance - years of medocrity. Then we have the Ricky Ledo cocktease, the ongoing injuries of you-name-them, the Kris Dunnathon, the top recruits that never play, the recruits that get into an unnamed "incident", the administration which just suspended them for the year, the shorthanded team, the UMASS loss...

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bressler3south wrote:This, really, is the problem in Friar-Land:

So here you have your breadwinner program that every year is in a struggle to keep its season ticket holders and donors because of mediocre performance - years of medocrity. Then we have the Ricky Ledo cocktease, the ongoing injuries of you-name-them, the Kris Dunnathon, the top recruits that never play, the recruits that get into an unnamed "incident", the administration which just suspended them for the year, the shorthanded team, the UMASS loss...

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooh.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

RE: bob driscoll pissed about email fiasco
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this year's seton hall game is last year's depaul game... except we have no council, no dunn, and no austin/bullock on the horizon. things clearly look bleak for this year. this idiotic incident is just the topping on an otherwise frustrating year. this year was supposed to be the year and now we are probably set back 2+ years. everyone is just agitated.
peeps4life
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Those boys are indeed in a Dominican Donnybrook and need to refocus during a Kumbaya Retreat. Then again, it sure is a window into the Empty-Minds of Eaton Street AND VERY PATHETICALLY FUNNY! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Accidents happen.....I think this is much ado about nothing......many people want to complain however....if Ledo, Dunn and Austin were playing I believe a lot of people would have shrugged off this mistake....the frustration of the faithful needed to manifest itself somehow and this was the vehicle....

.....it can and will happen everywhere, including at our own Athletics department someday....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

.....it can and will happen everywhere, including at our own Athletics department someday....

Yeah, the future outrage!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Funny you guys should mention that, I got an email from the Ryan Center the other day with the word "bored" spelled as "board". Obviously not the same type of mistake, but still pretty funny.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Wee arrrrgh board width dis, two!!!!!!!!
0 x