Two Friar Freshmen Suspended from Game Action Indefinitely

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Two Friar Freshmen Suspended from Game Action Indefinitely

Unread post by bressler3south »

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... ullock.ece

Talk about letting your teammates down………. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: FRIAR FRESHMEN SUSPENSIONS

Unread post by SGreenwell »

GoLocalProv's FB headline update on this earlier was "Two PC stars suspended," which was overselling a bit, to put things mildly.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: FRIAR FRESHMEN SUSPENSIONS

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

bressler3south wrote: Talk about letting your teammates down………. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Agree, disgraceful. Ed Cooley in the past has had the tendancy to go overboard with length of suspensions, so I'll be interested to see what infraction was actually committed.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Two Friar Freshmen Suspended from Game Action Indefinite

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

This makes the Boston College game a very difficult one for PC with new foul calling situation and with less useful bodies available to Cools.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

PC definitely has a lot of question marks which become even more obvious with the lack of depth. Losing Austin who would have started and Bullock who would have been 9th or 10th man definitely hurts for the BC game. Not only that, but Dunn is injured and might not play. Cotton is still hobbled and isn't 100%. PC can still win because they have just enough elite talent to win tough games at home (Cotton, Batts, Harris), but it'll take strong effort across the board for that to happen. That said, I've seen a lot worse PC teams beat a lot better opponents at home with a good crowd. Just sucks that PC's first crack at the first nationally televised FS1 game won't be with nearly close to a 100% squad.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Kudos to Ed Cooley for not tolerating nonsense, especially freshmen.
Can't have inmates running the asylum, if you want a top notch program.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I think they should be suspended for a full month. ;-)
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Carl K Tortella
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Carl K Tortella »

Let them chill out at Brad's over a couple of virgin marys !!!
0 x
Carl K Tortella
Abdul Fox

The SILENCE is deafening!!!!! It must be really BAD. Did anyone check the local police logs?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Carl K Tortella wrote:The SILENCE is deafening!!!!! It must be really BAD. Did anyone check the local police logs?
If it was a police log thing, then the Projo or GoLocal would have already had something, or PC probably would have mentioned that, in order to get in front of the backlash. I imagine it's just an academic issue, and they're trying to set the tone early with a couple of freshmen players, instead of letting it mutate into something more serious as the season goes on. I don't think it's unusual for a college program to be dealing with this early in the season.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

it was probably either caught drinking (underage) at an on campus party and written up or skipping too many classes
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

The bad news continues, as per Kevin McNamara, Bullock and Austin are done for the year.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Wow they must have really messed up. At the outset it looked like it would just be a suspension for the first couple games against the cupcake opponents.

Maybe I have just missed it but does anyone know what they did?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

As I said before, I have it on pretty good authority that at least one of them will be moving on, unless something changes.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:As I said before, I have it on pretty good authority that at least one of them will be moving on, unless something changes.
I'd find it odd if they both didn't transfer at this point, since it essentially amounts to a year-long suspension for them both. If they stayed at PC, would they be eligible to redshirt, as opposed to losing a year if they tried to transfer somewhere else?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

My guess is Bullock is gone, Austin will get the benefit of any doubt to stay......
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

My guess is, they ship out.

PC already has 3 top recruits coming in next year. They might even be recruited over, so to speak, never to be heard from again.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Given the way it has played out, it must be a continuing situation since it's taking so long to resolve. Wasn't Austin a top 100 player in high school?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

PC fans are upset with the punishment, given it was a non-criminal situation that is believed to have occurred with a female student.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Good for Cooley, he was hired partially to put an end to the rampant thuggery that was present during the Keno years.

Of course, we're not immune to similar issues either. See Holton, Jon and even possibly Aaman, Mike.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Most believe Cooley supported the initial suspension, but is not pleased with the year-long suspension given comments in recent weeks, starting around the time the team went to the Virgin Islands. One of those "does the punishment fit the crime" sort of things. If it's not criminal or academic (which it's neither) and it's truly a situation with a female (the speculation), does it warrant a one year suspension?
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

It is confusing that there Is no criminal investigation with this situation. PC has to have some convincing proof of serious misconduct to suspend them for one year. The rumor that I have been hearing is that it wasn't drinking, fighting, or drugs. I have no idea if it is true, but I have heard they were involved in a sexual issue. If this is true, wouldn't there have to be a police report?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

The story in the Projo:

http://m.projo.com/projo/db_/contentdet ... ue#display

Some of these college disciplinary boards are nothing more than kangaroo courts which completely disregard due process. This may not be the case with PC or with this specific incident, but we may never find out unless one or both of the players decide to disclose it or challenge the ruling.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
peeps4life
Kenny Green

Unread post by peeps4life »

there is no proof. there is a girl, her parents, lawyers, and threats. yet no proof.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Where there is smoke there is fire - I am certain these guys admit something shady went down as there was no real outrage over the initial suspension. It sucked when we lost Holton but there was video proof of what he had done so not much anyone could do about it (although I still am of the belief that what Holton did was not that bad, it only became bad when the ex broadcasted the video. He is guilty of being really stupid with a sensitive video).
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Two long threads on these two guys on the PC Board
Where do they Transfer to..........4 pages
Freshmen 7 Pages
"Sky is Falling" and "Jumping off a Bridge" are themes often mentioned
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=425&f=13 ... 505979&p=3
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Good for them.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

If it is an issue involving a female, I'd surmise that something went awry, and the "lady" in question is perhaps the daughter of some PC administrator or a big-time donor. And that party wants someone's balls……

The view from PC……
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsNR9FnxOdY
:o :lol: :o :lol: :o :lol: :o :lol: :o
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Heard some things during the holidays. Rumors are that the incident was sexual in nature with both sides involved offering very different perspectives. The woman chose not to file a report with police so there are no criminal charges. There however, for PC, appears to be enough evidence to support that something happened which would violate their student code of conduct. There was an initial suspension which was appealed. Denial ruling on the appeal was made in the past week. Hearing reports that Cooley and the PC administration are far apart on how this should be handled. His quote that he feels badly for the players seems to support this.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

The police do not need the female to press charges to move forward; if they felt there was a crime committed.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

seanmc94 wrote:The police do not need the female to press charges to move forward; if they felt there was a crime committed.
This is technically correct, but if you don't have a witness that wants to cooperate, then you're going to need some other evidence that's going to be equally convincing to bring the case forward.

That being said, most of the gossip I've seen or heard about this suggests that it wasn't a violation of the law, but rather the student conduct code at PC. I believe that URI has a similar student judiciary / discipline system, but I don't think it's as prominent because most students are off-campus and dealing with town police forces instead. The one at URI is more if you're caught smoking pot or having a party in the dorm.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I think more of the frustration from Friar fans comes more from the POV that how would others be treated in a similar role? If it was a member of student government or something along those lines, what would their punishment be? Most felt that missing 12 games for a non-criminal rendezvous with a female student was more than sufficient. It seems Cooley shares that sentiment. So to miss a full season? It's easy to see why Cooley and the players might be upset and disappointed with the administration. That said, if the kids choose to transfer, it'll take them longer to play than if they were to stay at PC. Seems to make the decision a little more difficult.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

66, it could be that the PC admin had been burned by the problems during the Keno era, and they might be overreacting in the opposite direction.

In other words, Cooley and co. could be getting indirectly punished for what a previous coach couldn't, or didn't control.

Dan Hurley must know what that's like here by now too.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Perhaps Cooley and squad are being indirectly punished, BUT his teams' behaviors involving campus life haven't exactly been stellar, either.
Also, though PC is Cooley's "dream job," how many more times will he put up with these things? Also, word travels fast about how "the administration" treats its coaches and players. Kids could become wary after listening to Austin and Bullock, especially Austin.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

bressler3south wrote:Perhaps Cooley and squad are being indirectly punished, BUT his teams' behaviors involving campus life haven't exactly been stellar, either.
Also, though PC is Cooley's "dream job," how many more times will he put up with these things? Also, word travels fast about how "the administration" treats its coaches and players. Kids could become wary after listening to Austin and Bullock, especially Austin.
Cooley is in his third year. This is the second incident. Sad to say, but that is above the curve nowadays in college sports. Just check the blotter in Storrs and Kingston; you wil see Im right.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Not saying that you're not.
I also realize that administrators and big-time donors will only tolerate X amount of "Black Eye Incidents" involving public figures. Also, administrators will tolerate far less than 20 years ago involving sex, drugs, booze, etc., with students living on campus or off of it. Universities' legal funds aren't limitless in lawsuits brought against them.
More importantly, the battle for research-funding, etc., is high-stakes. Bad publicity involving lack of institutional leadership and control of ALL aspects of a college/university might derail multi-million dollar renewable grants.
The Feds waste money, sure; they don't want others doing it for them.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

bressler3south wrote:Not saying that you're not.
I also realize that administrators and big-time donors will only tolerate X amount of "Black Eye Incidents" involving public figures. Also, administrators will tolerate far less than 20 years ago involving sex, drugs, booze, etc., with students living on campus or off of it. Universities' legal funds aren't limitless in lawsuits brought against them.
More importantly, the battle for research-funding, etc., is high-stakes. Bad publicity involving lack of institutional leadership and control of ALL aspects of a college/university might derail multi-million dollar renewable grants.
The Feds waste money, sure; they don't want others doing it for them.
You bring ZERO to the table

Try again
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Hey, seanmc94….
I AGREED WITH YOU!!! If you're referring to the spot about institutional leadership, image, lawsuits, and grant money, YOU SHOULD TRY COMPREHENDING THE MESSAGE AGAIN, TABLE-SETTER.
You've got balls, seanmc94, so go ask the President of PC, Rev. Brian J. Shanley, O.P., and see if he concurs.
Ask Dooley, ask Tom Ross of UNC-Chapel Hill as to why the school didn't even blink in letting go P.J. Hairston, and why Notre Dame's President Rev. John Jenkins cut ties with Jerian Grant without a second thought.
To point out how far up-the-ladder it goes, remember what Ohio State did to its President, Gordon Gee because of WHAT HE SAID??????? It was an embarrassment and he cost the school plenty.
No, but you don't have the balls to go ask…Better yet, Gelding-Boy, go ask your your buddy, Tim Welsh, how one DUI can cost someone a job at a University.
P.S. I didn't claim to know what EXACTLY happened with the two suspended STUDENT-ATHLETES, but the higher-ups at PC didn't care what Cooley had to say about it -- they pay his salary -- not the opposite.
P.P.S. You really should see what it's like at a university/college, job-wise, seanmc94. Oh, that's right: while I bring ZERO to the table, you, Gelding-Boy, bring ZERO TO THE RÉSUMÉ.
P.P.P.S. Happy New Year, seanmc94. Sincerely, good health and happiness….
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

bressler3south wrote:Hey, seanmc94….
I AGREED WITH YOU!!! If you're referring to the spot about institutional leadership, image, lawsuits, and grant money, YOU SHOULD TRY COMPREHENDING THE MESSAGE AGAIN, TABLE-SETTER.
You've got balls, seanmc94, so go ask the President of PC, Rev. Brian J. Shanley, O.P., and see if he concurs.
Ask Dooley, ask Tom Ross of UNC-Chapel Hill as to why the school didn't even blink in letting go P.J. Hairston, and why Notre Dame's President Rev. John Jenkins cut ties with Jerian Grant without a second thought.
To point out how far up-the-ladder it goes, remember what Ohio State did to its President, Gordon Gee because of WHAT HE SAID??????? It was an embarrassment and he cost the school plenty.
No, but you don't have the balls to go ask…Better yet, Gelding-Boy, go ask your your buddy, Tim Welsh, how one DUI can cost someone a job at a University.
P.S. I didn't claim to know what EXACTLY happened with the two suspended STUDENT-ATHLETES, but the higher-ups at PC didn't care what Cooley had to say about it -- they pay his salary -- not the opposite.
P.P.S. You really should see what it's like at a university/college, job-wise, seanmc94. Oh, that's right: while I bring ZERO to the table, you, Gelding-Boy, bring ZERO TO THE RÉSUMÉ.
P.P.P.S. Happy New Year, seanmc94. Sincerely, good health and happiness….

Didn't even blink? Unc threw Harrison to the wolves after 2-3 ARRESTS. They fought tooth and nail to keep him and only relented when they cut a deal with the NCAA. ND had a kid get caught cheating, you really want to go down the Irish road about the crap they let slide? OSU cut a guy loose BC he was a yahoo whose time had past. OSU just hired Urban Mayer to run the football program. Not exactly a beacon of integrity. Tim Welsh wasn't fired for a DUI. He was fired BC he tried to cover it up.

I have better sense to think that Fr Shanley owes me an explanation about how he chooses to run the school. It's not about balls, it's about brains. I'm just looking for consistency and a level playing field.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

At every school......every school.....the better player you are the more you get away with in comparison to lesser players and much more than regular students.....no school is holier than another....even PC and URI.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

Bullock is back on campus and was behind the bench at the UMass game. Austin so far is a no show
0 x
Carl K Tortella
Abdul Fox

Rumor has it that they got caught with female dates!!!
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

If Austin goes to Oregon, he'll probably get the waiting period waived. They seem to have pull
Last edited by Captainron@ 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A PC poster is now writing that the players were film buffs just like Holton.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

And Hollywood ain't on Holton's horizon…..some lessons never learned………Ah, gadgets.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

it's not Oregon, it's Phil Knight that has the pull.
0 x