Recruits at PC Madness

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
ramster
Frank Keaney

Recruits at PC Madness

Unread post by ramster »

removed
Last edited by ramster 10 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: Recruits at PC Madness

Unread post by twisted3829 »

who cares? why is this on the main board? Post PC stuff in the All Other College Sports.
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

twisted3829 wrote:who cares? why is this on the main board? Post PC stuff in the All Other College Sports.
removed
Last edited by ramster 10 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Plus, we have a thread on the Big East's standings predictions.
How does this bear any relevance to URI basketball?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I don't care if it posted, just put it in the right area, there's a All Other College Sports for college topics not pertaining to URI, that's where the thread goes
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rodfromcranston wrote:Plus, we have a thread on the Big East's standings predictions.
How does this bear any relevance to URI basketball?
fine
twisted and rod I have removed the High School Visitors info on PC Madness last night
I will also remove the Big East info that I posted that I thought was of interest

I did not realize that PC, Bryant, Big East ,etc were to be put in the All College Section
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: Recruits at PC Madness - move to All College

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

This was posted on the PC board which does have some direct relevance...

"I was told by an executive at Nelligan Sports that PC spent almost $150k on this event all in all. To put it in perspective, Nelligan covers URI who spent about $12,500. PC pulled out some serious change for this event."
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:This was posted on the PC board which does have some direct relevance...

"I was told by an executive at Nelligan Sports that PC spent almost $150k on this event all in all. To put it in perspective, Nelligan covers URI who spent about $12,500. PC pulled out some serious change for this event."
You would have to think a majority of that comes from hiring Nick Cannon to host it. Is that money well spent?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:This was posted on the PC board which does have some direct relevance...

Sounds like a huge waste of money to me.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

What's $150k when you're getting $4 MILLION a year from Fox?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I'm not going to pretend to be any fan of Nick Cannon but what do we know about the likes and dislikes of kids? Guy hosts a show that averages like 14 million people per season, has name appeal. The kids loved being around him and several recruits were tweeting pictures of being able to meet with him and talk to him. It's much different than past Madnesses where the Friars featured local talent like Jon Hope and Ace Diamond. Who? It's one of those things that the big programs do, doesn't guarantee success, but you don't think a kid like Donovan Mitchell will forget he met Magic Johnson and Nick Cannon both on the Providence campus?
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I wonder if there will be any jugglers, opera singers or dog acts?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think we are entering a new era in Midnight Madness, First Night, or whatever name they now go by due to the fact that the night no longer falls on the same date since the NCAA Changed the rules for when Practices can start.
From now on players will go to multiple Madness events because then can.
TV is getting more involved as evidenced by Fox. I would not be surprised if Fox put money up for PC's even and others directly or certainly they did indirectly with the $4 million.
Thomas Murphy visited both URI and PC Events since he could as they were on different nights - and he has several years before he decides.
Schools are now going after top talent to not only draw students and alums to the event but to "wow" the prospective recruits.
Georgetown had B.o.B at their event
Many Big Recruit Names were in attendance at Georgetown
http://hoyatalk2.proboards.com/thread/2 ... dness-2013

Highlighted by a live performance from hip-hop star B.o.B. and in front of a national television audience on FoxSports 1, Georgetown University will officially start the college basketball season on campus with the Basketball Tip-Off Party, being held at McDonough Arena on Friday, Oct. 25.
Oct. 21, 2013
WASHINGTON - Highlighted by a live performance from hip-hop star B.o.B. and in front of a national television audience on FoxSports 1, Georgetown University will officially start the college basketball season on campus with the Basketball Tip-Off Party, being held at McDonough Arena on Friday, Oct. 25.
The evening will serve as the introduction to the Georgetown men's and women's basketball teams to the student body and fans. The evening will include performances from several student groups, capped off by hip-hop recording artist B.o.B.
All of the festivities from the Basketball Tip-Off Party will be streamed live, for free, at GUHoyas.com beginning at 7:30 p.m., on Friday evening. Click HERE to view the live stream.
Doors for McDonough Arena will open at 7:30 p.m. Outdoor activities include a Domino's Pizza pop-a-shot and an interactive Coca-Cola experience with free samples as well as premium giveaways. Upon entering this Georgetown University student -only event, guests will receive an exclusive Jordan Brand Georgetown Basketball T-shirt and a lighted keychain.
There will be dance routines by the GU Step Team, GU Dance Team, GU Jawani, and Groove Theory beginning at 7:45 p.m., as well as a performance by Roy Kim, a Georgetown freshman from South Korea who was the winner of that country's version of America's Got Talent.
During the event, the professional jerseys of former men's basketball All-American Otto Porter Jr. and women's basketball All-American Sugar Rodgers will be unveiled.
In addition, the men's and women's basketball players will be pairing up with students in a number of shooting games. The women's basketball team will be introduced at 8:45 p.m. and the Georgetown Pep Band and cheerleaders will take the floor at 9:15 p.m.
The Hoyas men's basketball team and Head Coach John Thompson III will be introduced at approximately 9:45 p.m. followed by a dunk showcase and a series of drills.
As always, the night will include surprise appearances and excitement for the upcoming season

ESPN had Madness for the below teams this year. Fox is now promoting Madness for the Big East so expect to see ESPN step up now that Fox is competing with them.

Duke
TBD & Dino Gaudio
Countdown to Craziness
ESPNU/ESPN3 (8 p.m.)

Florida Gulf Coast
LaPhonso Ellis
Dunk City After Dark
ESPNU

Kentucky
Jimmy Dykes & Darrin Horn
Big Blue Madness
ESPNU/ESPN3 (7:30 p.m.)

Memphis
Bruce Pearl
Memphis Madness
ESPNU

New Mexico
Miles Simon
The Lobo Howl
ESPNU

Oklahoma State
Fran Fraschilla & Sean Farnham
Homecoming & Hoops
ESPNU/ESPN3 (10 p.m.)

Syracuse
Rich Hollenberg & Tim Welsh
Orange Madness
ESPNU/ESPN3 (9 p.m.)

UConn
Rebecca Lobo & Kara Lawson
First Night
ESPNU/ESPN3 (7 p.m.)

Wichita State
Len Elmore
Shocker Madness
ESPNU
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unfortunately you are right. Before, only limited programs were going all out in terms of talented media personalities. Now it's even more important to pay, it's just too easy for kids to get to 3 or 4 madnesses a year and compare. Just look at the lists, Nova had Nicki Minaj, Gtown had BOB, and even Seton Hall forked up for Kobayashi to have their coach have a hot dog eating contest against a former world champion. DePaul went through their normal routine and apparently has been getting crushed for it. The game is changing and it's important to make that impact. Gone are the days of simply getting by on Pom Poms and dance offs. If you aren't paying it's going to be hard to compete.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

that's outstanding that Bruce Pearl went to Memphis' first night. He's not bitter at all
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I haven't been to URI Midnight Madness since Harrick. It seems to have only minor connection to basketball. I wonder how many ofcthe students will actually attend a game orvtwo.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Can you explain your "minor connection to basketball" comment?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I think what Rose is saying is that most Madnesses have become more about the show and less basketball-centric. You get to see the dance team prance around and the cheerleaders throw some t-shirts, some students have a dance off and maybe a half-court shoot out, but at the end of the day, fans like us are there because we want to see the basketball team. We'd like scrimmages and workouts, not videos and dancing. It's easy to skip if you don't have a connection to it, plus you can find all of the good dunk highlights on twitter and youtube within a few hours.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

All efforts made by the schools for these events are for two reasons: to draw student attention & publicity.

And you are right, the actual basketball is an afterthought during the events. But that is by design. They are essentially pep rallys used to draw students into the program.

Kids have short attention spans these days, a simple scrimmage won't cut it, they need constant stimuli to keep them engaged. Dance teams, cheerleaders, dunk contests, student games, DJs, musicians, and yes, even celebrities all keep the tempo quick and students happy.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Seems a case where Madness made an impact:

"Ryan (Fazekas) liked the atmosphere and the excitement around the program," said Fazekas' father, Bill. "His visit last weekend was actually a birthday present for him. He came back and told us `this is where I want to be' so we're excited about his decision."
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

It's the new reality.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

"rjsuperfly66" I'm not going to pretend to be any fan of Nick Cannon but what do we know about the likes and dislikes of kids? Guy hosts a show that averages like 14 million people per season, has name appeal. The kids loved being around him and several recruits were tweeting pictures of being able to meet with him and talk to him. It's much different than past Madnesses where the Friars featured local talent like Jon Hope and Ace Diamond. Who? It's one of those things that the big programs do, doesn't guarantee success, but you don't think a kid like Donovan Mitchell will forget he met Magic Johnson and Nick Cannon both on the Providence campus[

Alex Kline @TheRecruitScoop · 7h
Louisville sold 2015 guard Donovan Mitchell on the program during his visit & landed their 3rd commit for 2015 -

There are times when that Superfly-Guy is so prescient…………..
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

"Who's Magic Johnson?"
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

This type of thing happens to us all the time......a mid-major spends years cultivating a relationship w an under the radar type player....only to have him blow up and commit to a Johnny come lately major school....pc is experiencing life as a mid-major.....welcome to our world....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Great point, Ramulous.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Ramulous wrote:This type of thing happens to us all the time......a mid-major spends years cultivating a relationship w an under the radar type player....only to have him blow up and commit to a Johnny come lately major school....pc is experiencing life as a mid-major.....welcome to our world....
I wouldn't call it life of a mid-major, rather life of a school that isn't a traditional power. Mississippi St. or Rutgers wouldn't have gotten the kid. Louisville got involved, sold him the moon, game over. PC, URI, Rutgers, Penn St., etc., this can happen anytime a blueblood gets involved. Sucks but until you build a team consistently winning in March, this can happen. The key is having the backup plans capable of minimizing the drop off.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Ramulous wrote:This type of thing happens to us all the time......a mid-major spends years cultivating a relationship w an under the radar type player....only to have him blow up and commit to a Johnny come lately major school....pc is experiencing life as a mid-major.....welcome to our world....

It happened to URI just this past fall with Jared Terrell. Hurley had built up a long relationship recruiting him. Travis Ford and Ok State entered the picture late but wowed him. Jared decided that going to a school thousands of miles away and having had very short term and limited relationship with were not big factors and picked the Cowboys. Fortunately for URI, Jared saw things he didn't like in the subsequent months and re-evaluated things and was allowed to move on.
Last edited by RF1 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Cooley had invested much more time in Mitchell than Hurley did in Terrell
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Iggy1979 wrote:Cooley had invested much more time in Mitchell than Hurley did in Terrell
You can at least give him some credit for aiming high.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Mitchell's mother said, "It isn't first come first served."
So, PC got a verbal from a 2017 SG.
Only have to sweat 3 years til he signs his LOI.
Unfortunately, kids change their mind like they change their socks.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree,
if this kid blows up like Cooley thinks he will this kid could very easily change his mind and reopen his recruitment. Happens all the time. Seems more like Cooley got burned and embarrassed by this Mitchell change of heart and is now going in this direction.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote:Agree,
if this kid blows up like Cooley thinks he will this kid could very easily change his mind and reopen his recruitment. Happens all the time. Seems more like Cooley got burned and embarrassed by this Mitchell change of heart and is now going in this direction.
Don't believe Cooley got "burned." Did Mitchell ever tell him, "I'm yours. Let me announce. I'll let Kevie-Boy print his rump-swab story"???? No, COOLEY BELIEVED HE WAS MARRIED. It happens all the time. It happens to all coaches. They think they're "already engaged," they're headed down the aisle and -- "Sorry, but….." It's a joke, and the joke's on Cooley now, and every-other coach too, at some point in their careers.
Look, even Mr. Holier-than Thou Krzyzewski realizes this -- especially after a couple of his signed recruits turned pro before they even stepped on the floor for Duke -- so now he accepts one-and-done players. It's the reality, not even new. Duke, the great academic institution. Bastion of ethics and morals….Please.
I'd like to see the stats of how many of these two/three-year early commits actually go to the schools they've verballed to. I'd guess that, from my recollections throughout the years, the percentage is very low.
So go ahead, Eddie, and get the engagement from as many second-graders as you can….
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

What's the downside to accepting the verbal? Cuts both ways. Cooley can continue to recruit as well.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I think it's a little overstated. No D1 college coach believes they are entitled to any player. Recruiting is a game. There are many ways to play the game -- hope to get in early and "steal" a player, be dominate enough to just swoop in, etc. I agree that Cooley may have felt like he got burned, but that's because of the amount of time invested, not because he thought the player was definitely going to be a Friar.

As for my statement about Madness, I guess you got me there. However, I'd rather my program spend the money and resources, bring in the names, build the practice facilities to remain competitive, than not. Like I said back then and still say now, Nick Cannon doesn't single-handedly land recruits. But in competing against like-minded programs, he doesn't hurt, only helps. Players like exposure. They want National TV. They want to be associated with big names. How much does that affect their recruitment? Who knows, depends on the player. But Donovan Mitchell went to Louisville because it's Louisville, because they've won National Championships and have a HOF coach and play in a gorgeous newer arena and promised him the world. Seems they promised him things even PC wasn't willing to concede (like him playing point).

If Louisville wasn't involved, PC was in prime position. But can't cry over spilled milk. Just have to move on to a strong option 2 or 2A.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I think it's a little overstated. No D1 college coach believes they are entitled to any player. Recruiting is a game. There are many ways to play the game -- hope to get in early and "steal" a player, be dominate enough to just swoop in, etc. I agree that Cooley may have felt like he got burned, but that's because of the amount of time invested, not because he thought the player was definitely going to be a Friar.

As for my statement about Madness, I guess you got me there. However, I'd rather my program spend the money and resources, bring in the names, build the practice facilities to remain competitive, than not. Like I said back then and still say now, Nick Cannon doesn't single-handedly land recruits. But in competing against like-minded programs, he doesn't hurt, only helps. Players like exposure. They want National TV. They want to be associated with big names. How much does that affect their recruitment? Who knows, depends on the player. But Donovan Mitchell went to Louisville because it's Louisville, because they've won National Championships and have a HOF coach and play in a gorgeous newer arena and promised him the world. Seems they promised him things even PC wasn't willing to concede (like him playing point).

If Louisville wasn't involved, PC was in prime position. But can't cry over spilled milk. Just have to move on to a strong option 2 or 2A.
Or Option 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8…...
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Cooley got a verbal from top 100 PF Alex Owens.
0 x