Xavier AD Talks Big East Expansion

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Xavier AD Talks Big East Expansion

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

"Good interview where he states we will be 12 teams within 5 years.

The two schools will come from the group of Richmond, SLU, VCU, and Dayton."

www.holylandofhoops.com/viewto...63c1c6e6b878f10
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Xavier AD Talks Big East Expansion

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Leave us alone, Big East!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

We'll see.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

A lot can change in 5 years.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

2 teams in 5 years? That's an aggressive growth plan?
Wow, I'm scared.
What a joke.
I would not be surprised to see the A10 more respected than the Catholic 7 in 2 years - and Butler does not belong in the Catholic 7 since they are not Catholic. They'll have the itch to leave soon and probably will. Creighton will get tired of the stupid travel east all the time.
The gap has closed a ton between the A10 and the Catholic 7 and news like this just makes the gap closing momentum seem to continue.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Ramster, in fairness, nobody calls the Big East the Catholic 7 (or 10).
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I think the misconception is that it's stated that the expectation is that the Big East to expand to 12 teams within 5 years. Could be two years, could be three years, heck could take the full five years, but they aren't going to commit to a time frame.

It's like I told you two weeks ago Ramster, the Big East just doesn't want to expand if they aren't ready for it yet. 10 teams = easy transition. The schedule, the TV, huge hurdles. In the end they achieved their mission, I believe all 10 teams will have their 18 conference games on National Television.

When things get easier and the networks become more established (as well as the AD's figuring out a clear cut direction), then they will expand.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

yawn
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I think the misconception is that it's stated that the expectation is that the Big East to expand to 12 teams within 5 years. Could be two years, could be three years, heck could take the full five years, but they aren't going to commit to a time frame.

It's like I told you two weeks ago Ramster, the Big East just doesn't want to expand if they aren't ready for it yet. 10 teams = easy transition. The schedule, the TV, huge hurdles. In the end they achieved their mission, I believe all 10 teams will have their 18 conference games on National Television.

When things get easier and the networks become more established (as well as the AD's figuring out a clear cut direction), then they will expand.
When.....or "if."
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

What pissed me off most was that the Xavier AD, of all people, was doing the talking!!!!!!!!!!!! And he talking about "poaching" former A-10 partners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE NERVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Speaking of Xavier and Butler, when do we get to cash in on their exit fees and NCAA credit money.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

ncaa credits should be yearly, exit fees should be split up soon i would think
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Since this AD likes to open his mouth and add more instability to other conferences, perhaps he could also explain why his school refuses to play one of its oldest rivals. Xavier will not play Dayton this season and has announced it won't next year either. Seems before Xavier got into the new Catholic Big East, this never happened. The two schools used to be in different conferences before the A-10 but they always found room to play each other. Now it seems Xavier can't make t work.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RF1 wrote:Since this AD likes to open his mouth and add more instability to other conferences, perhaps he could also explain why his school refuses to play one of its oldest rivals. Xavier will not play Dayton this season and has announced it won't next year either. Seems before Xavier got into the new Catholic Big East, this never happened. The two schools used to be in different conferences before the A-10 but they always found room to play each other. Now it seems Xavier can't make t work.
Simple, they are afraid of Dayton.......
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Yeah, very fishy. Yeah, they are playing 2 more conf games now (18 vs 16) but why wouldn't you want the sure thing sellout every other year if you did it like URI/PC?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Yeah, very fishy. Yeah, they are playing 2 more conf games now (18 vs 16) but why wouldn't you want the sure thing sellout every other year if you did it like URI/PC?

Because they now think they are TOO GOOD for Dayton and feel there is nothing to gain. Total cop out in my view. Up until 20 years ago, Dayton was far and away the superior program and always played Xavier. I am very disappointed in Xavier's actions and have less respect for them. They are basically avoiding playing Dayton because they are afraid that they might lose. Very cowardly in my view. All of that tradition out the window due to the inflated ego of Xavier administrators.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

As SeanMc would say, that's weak sauce.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

For what it's worth...

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

That's awesome news. A10 needs some time to settle in with Davidson rounding up the membership.
0 x