PC Schneider Arena renovations

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Re: PC Schneider Arena renovations

Unread post by OBRAM »

I know in a normal world you would look at comparible figures. But, in the case of Rhode Island, this is not normal. Rhode Island is just about bankrupt, and things were not much better when State General Assembly agreed to have the RICC take over the Dunk around 2005, without a Voter Approved Bond Issue for that purpose. If UCONN, a State University, pays $50,000 per game (using your numbers even if the XL Center is a little bigger) then $600k a year for PC to play at the Dunk does not seem high.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

The biggest problem with directly comparing UCONN to PC is the fact UCONN could play a game on the moon and draw a great crowd. They will have virtual sellouts wherever they play. It's easy to charge them more given the fact their collective attendance is 12+. Also, how much of a discount does a team get for playing a full season somewhere instead of a half season? As much as I love where PC is headed, UCONN has won three national championships since PCs last NCAA tourney win.

BTW, solid back-and-forth :D
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

To be fair, if you're concerned about economic development, then the state shouldn't be funneling any money toward athletics anywhere - it's normally a really poor return on investment. You're normally doing it for other reasons besides economics, just like how you build an art museum to attract the kind of people who are interested in culture. I'm not against some subsidies or breaks for pro and college teams, since I think they're a net positive for a city / area, but I hate when they're advertised as being catalysts for economic development and job creation.
0 x