Jalen Lindsey

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
ramster
Frank Keaney

Jalen Lindsey

Unread post by ramster »

Great get by Friars in #32 ranked Jalen Lindsey.
He will be playing his Senior year at Huntington Prep.

Ed Cooley is very focused on Expression Elite these days as he targets Abdul-Malik Abu who is ranked #44. Cooley has not missed many of Expressions games this summer.

Signing Lindsey this early will help Cooley land a potential blockbuster class

as much as it pains me to say it :(
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Re: Jalen Lindsey

Unread post by seanmc94 »

This kid is legit...more to come from the 2014 class!!
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

So much for the Big East sucking and not being able to recruit with the big boys any more :D
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I think RJ, that Cooley is able to recruit above the level of the conference. These signings say more about Cooley than they do the new Big East.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

True but I think if perception of the Big East was as bad as some think, it would be near impossible to go after a kid from Tennessee with offers from the likes of Louisville and Florida and interest from the likes of UNC, Duke and Kentucky. This kid is a borderline McDonalds All-American.

There are a lot of good recruiters from mid-major conferences (heck take the A-10) that a big recruit for them is a borderline Top 100 kid, and that is in the A-10, which in no form is a bad conference.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Is this one going to ever actually play a game? :D Sorry I couldnt help myself...nice get for the Friars
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Fair to say ther may be some "Ricky Ledo" chants at the RC game this year?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Here are the facts to date:
Top 100 ESPN - 33 have now verbaled
5 of the 33 are to the new BE
#32 Jalen Lindsey - PC
#47 Isaac Copeland - Georgetown
#54 LJ Peak - Georgetown
#79 Mikal Bridges - Villanova
#88 Edmund Sumner - Xavier

July and August are typically big months for recruiting commitments, especially following the Peach Jam and other high profile Tournaments where the College Coaches are spending their summer months.

No surprise that Ed Cooley has been making appearances at the Expressions Elite Games this summer - I wouldn't be surprised to see PC land #44 Ranked 6'8" PF Abu from Espressions. PC, Seton hall and St johns have offered Abu from the BE. URI, UMASS and St Bonaventure have offered from the A10. Highest profile teams to offer are Florida and Kansas - recruiting likely to intensify with his performance at the Peach Jam.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

seanmc94 wrote:Fair to say ther may be some "Ricky Ledo" chants at the RC game this year?
God I hope so only if the Rams are up or at least the game is tied.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Plus, Hurley and staff have been busy with this Italy trip, and are conducting
practices, when other coaches are wandering the country for recruits.
I'm glad we have no urgent needs this recruiting season.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I wouldn't expect that you'd see any programs making the switch to the "new" big east taking a hit in recruiting yet, and those new to the conference will probably see a little bump in their recruiting. If anything, the change has generated a lot of positive press. I do believe that this is the time for these programs to strike, though. They will probably never have more prestige as a conference than they do today. Once they start playing games and nobody watches them, the reality will start to set in. Perception always lags a little behind reality. Better sign all these top-100 guys before the perception catches up to the new big east.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

-I think Abu is going to be a tough pull at this point. Lots of top competition, won't be surprised to hear PC in the Top 8 or even Top 5 but I wouldn't be surprised to hear him going to a big boy.
-Rumors said Terrell and Lindsey would likely not end up on the same team. I wouldn't be surprised to hear Terrell and Abu at a place like Kansas.
-PC and UCONN are essentially final 2 for Chukwu but don't expect decision for a while. Experts suspect he chooses PC do to long relationship between Cooley and Chukwu.
-PC also in the running for Top 50 PG Joseph, likely will end up in his Top 5 but would expect him to end up at Syracuse.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I'll be floored if Abu ends up at PC. Good vibes about the big fella. Puncher's chance with Joseph.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:-I think Abu is going to be a tough pull at this point. Lots of top competition, won't be surprised to hear PC in the Top 8 or even Top 5 but I wouldn't be surprised to hear him going to a big boy.
-Rumors said Terrell and Lindsey would likely not end up on the same team. I wouldn't be surprised to hear Terrell and Abu at a place like Kansas.
-PC and UCONN are essentially final 2 for Chukwu but don't expect decision for a while. Experts suspect he chooses PC do to long relationship between Cooley and Chukwu.
-PC also in the running for Top 50 PG Joseph, likely will end up in his Top 5 but would expect him to end up at Syracuse.
There is a reason why Cooley is at every Expressions Elite Game at the Peach Jam when he cold be at any other game and my guess is it is because of Abu - I don't think that Terrell is the prize catch that he is after - I think he wants Abu and I would not be surprised if Cooley lands him - plus I think the landing of Lindsey who is a Top 30 recruit makes landing Abu an greater possibility.

Abu is a heck of a player, very talented, great upside potential, supurb leaping ability, runs the floor well - a real prize catch. Rhode Island and PC are recruiting better than they have in many years - so landing upper echelon players is not the long shot it was during the Baron, Welch, Degregorio and Davis years - thank the lord.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Here's to hoping we are headed back to the early 90s; when the PC-uri game was a résumé builder for the NCAA
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

As I said yesterday, PC is recruiting Abu very hard with Cooley a fixture at the Expressions Elite games. I would be surprised if PC does NOT land Abu.

From today's projo by Kevin Mac....................
In less than 30 months on the job, Cooley has signed a McDonald's All-American (Dunn), a top 25 rated scorer (Ricky Ledo) and a top 50 guard (Austin). Now he owns a commitment from another top 50 prospect and the Friars are hoping Lindsey can help start building a nationally rated 2014 recruiting class of as many as six players. The Friars are in strong with 7-1 center Pascal Chukwu of Fairfield, Conn., 6-8 big forward Abdul-Malik Abu of Boston and guards Kaleb Joseph of Nashua, N.H. and Robert Johnson of Virginia, among others
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

seanmc94 wrote:Here's to hoping we are headed back to the early 90s; when the PC-uri game was a résumé builder for the NCAA
Good call, Sean. Last time that happened was the 03-04 season when Rhody had Providence on their list of good wins before they faded into the NIT. I remember seeing this on-screen graphic during the game vs undefeated St Joes when ESPN reviewed each team's NCAA resume.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I cannot wait for this years game.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

seanmc94 wrote:I cannot wait for this years game.
Me too. And it should continue to get better going forward.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Plus, Hurley and staff have been busy with this Italy trip, and are conducting
practices, when other coaches are wandering the country for recruits.
I'm glad we have no urgent needs this recruiting season.
People don't realize how much of a blessing that is. Cooley had only two open scholarships for the entire season (one was open, the other was Vincent Council's). He had those filled by November (I believe Bullock verballed in September and Austin verballed in November). He had them both signed, sealed, and delievered before they even began their senior seasons, and therefore Cooley and his staff could focus on 2014 and 2015 recruits instead of trying to find and recruit guys for 2013. He likely never would have had a chance at a kid like Lindsey if he couldn't invest signficant time on him during the season when other teams were focuses on next year.

Hurley and his staff have a huge advantage and can hopefully get a leg up on their competition by getting all over 2015 and 2016 recruits now instead of next summer.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

It's so exciting that both Rams and Friars have outstanding head coaches and are primed for a big resurgence.
0 x