URI's D1/Atlantic Hockey Candidacy

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
NarragansettLager
Jim Eitner

URI's D1/Atlantic Hockey Candidacy

Unread post by NarragansettLager »

http://bostonherald.com/sports/college/ ... anselm_uri

New to the board, but a long time URI supporter. I really hope they find a way to make this happen. I like the idea of URI having hoops, hockey and football, but would rather have cheaper football and hockey than just CAA football. Either way, could be good news
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: OT - D1/Atlantic Hockey Candidacy

Unread post by adam914 »

I think this would be great. I never understood why we dont have a D1 hockey program.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Re: OT - D1/Atlantic Hockey Candidacy

Unread post by rhodylaw »

This would be awesome - D1 move is long overdue
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: URI's D1/Atlantic Hockey Candidacy

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I love the idea of D1 hockey at URI - I think the club team has been strong for several years now, even though they've mostly had to fundraise on their own. And even though it's a club sport, the couple of times I went as an undergrad, there were better crowds for that than every sport but men's basketball and football, I imagine. If they can make the economics work and deal with the Title IX requirements, then it's a no-brainer to me.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

This would be great. If it is between us or St. Anslems it should be us. Bigger school, replacing a neighboring school like UCONN. The rest of our sports are Division 1 unlike St. A's. I do know it's all about money though so hopefully we can raise some funds.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

0 x
Go Rhody!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well so much for that I guess...
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rhodyfan3
ARD

It would have been cool, but can you just jump into Division 1 hockey? I'm not sure how any of this works but could we start D3 and establish ourselves before moving into Division 1 or no? I don't think we would even compete in Division 1 for a number of years.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Honestly, I dont know. But not being able to compete doesnt seem to stop us from throwing a football team out there every year.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Penn State is making the jump from club to D1...I believe there is no D2 for hockey...granted we are not Penn State
0 x
Clapton is God
rhodyfan3
ARD

That is true Adam. GR89, there is no Division 2 hockey. I have always wondered why that is. I wish we could have hockey at the state university. Rhode Island itself would be a great pipeline for the team. Also, I am young and new to the NCAA rules and regulations, so can someone explain why title IX would be an issue? Does it bring into account equal opportunities for more than just sports?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

No we actually usually beat Penn State in hockey. PSU and URI have dominated their league of late.

There is no D2 in hockey.... D3 or D1.

Rams would likely dominate this league.....and be able to jump to ECAC or Hockey East quickly similar to UMass recently.

This needs to get done! No varsity hockey at URI is a disgrace. Title IX could come into play because we have an equally deserving women's club hockey team that should also make the move to D3.
Last edited by hrstrat57 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

The URI club team makes this jump with ease....and should compete for the league championship.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
gorhody89
ARD

hrstrat57 wrote:No we actually usually beat Penn State in hockey. PSU and URI have dominated their league of late.

There is no D2 in hockey.... D3 or D1.

Rams would likely dominate this league.....and be able to jump to ECAC or Hockey East quickly similar to UMass recently.

This needs to get done! No varsity hockey at URI is a disgrace. Title IX could come into play because we have an equally deserving women's club hockey team that should also make the move to D3.

What I meant is that we do not have the kind of money that Penn State has...
0 x
Clapton is God
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I believe that URI varsity hockey would make money.... A strong team would sell out every game I for one would never miss a game. This is a pretty strong league we are being recruited into and a great opportunity. I have a vision of the Ryan center piped for ice sold out every Friday night. Ri produces world class junior hockey talent. Let's keep em home and have varsity hockey do big things for URI.

Think big, we do!
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

I just looked at the Atlantic Hockey website and I do not understand why this can't happen. We would fit right in with those schools and be able to compete in a few years, maybe sooner. URI SHOULD have hockey.
0 x
NarragansettLager
Jim Eitner

Unread post by NarragansettLager »

And it should come at the expense of football if necessary from a budget and Title IX perspective. Anyone who reads the tea leaves of FCS football can see that its slowly dying, plus URI has rarely competed. And its only 5-6 home games a year.

Meanwhile, hockey represents a chance to compete nationally in sport that is already popular in New England. Something like 15-16 home games a year on Friday nights. What is not to like? And I say all of this generally being more of a football fan, but from a pros and cons perspective it should be a no brainer for URI.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

IMHO the team that won the national championship a few years ago would have been a .500 club in the ECAC....maybe just below .500 in the Hockey East. Those Ram clubs around that time were big, fast, highly skilled and with Augustine at the helm extremely well coached. That club would likely have torn though the league we considering now.

I went to most of the games at that time. I heard a strong rumor from multiple sources that URI was offered into the ECAC when Vermont moved to the Hockey East.....never confirmed in writing that I could find but then again URI D1 hockey selling out a 6000 seat building is another of Smith Hill's nightmares. Precisely why you would never see the report found by the OP in the Projo.

Augustine is still in place but the window of current opportunity is closing and needs to be seized NOW!

One more time banging the drum again....URI varsity hockey will make money.......if the group quoted can raise most of the entry fee money than Mackel should roll over in his grave again if this does not get done!!

We should all demand this gets done!!

The title XI problem is solved by elevating the women's program to D3.

Do it!!!
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

There are no scholorships in D3 so that would not satisfy title 9
0 x
Clapton is God
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I think the only economically feasible way to add hockey is to abandon football......55 men's scholarships gone from football.....20 to men's hockey ?...20 to women's hockey?.......15 other women's scholarships deleted somewhere for a net of 0 scholarships and the balance between men and women stays the same....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't like hockey. I'd much rather see the money back a commitment to big time basketball, or even trying to fix the football program. Having hockey doesn't move the needle for me.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodyfan3
ARD

TP, you would like to see money committed to a program that hasn't had a winning season since I believe 2001? I agree with big time basketball, but our football program has been abysmal.
Rhode Island has had success with the sport of hockey. High schools like Mt. Saint Charles, BH, and LaSalle have solid hockey programs. RI puts a lot of players in the various junior hockey leagues and is also home to one of the most popular NHL teams minor league team. RI has a great hockey market, why not let the state university have a hockey team?
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

hrstrat57 wrote:IMHO the team that won the national championship a few years ago would have been a .500 club in the ECAC....maybe just below .500 in the Hockey East. Those Ram clubs around that time were big, fast, highly skilled and with Augustine at the helm extremely well coached. That club would likely have torn though the league we considering now.

I went to most of the games at that time. I heard a strong rumor from multiple sources that URI was offered into the ECAC when Vermont moved to the Hockey East.....never confirmed in writing that I could find but then again URI D1 hockey selling out a 6000 seat building is another of Smith Hill's nightmares. Precisely why you would never see the report found by the OP in the Projo.

Augustine is still in place but the window of current opportunity is closing and needs to be seized NOW!

One more time banging the drum again....URI varsity hockey will make money.......if the group quoted can raise most of the entry fee money than Mackel should roll over in his grave again if this does not get done!!

We should all demand this gets done!!

The title XI problem is solved by elevating the women's program to D3.

Do it!!!
You can't be D3 in one sport if you are D1 in others. It won't make money either. These programs are very expensive to run
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I believe UMass and UConn both started hockey in D3 - I have also heard URI has a longstanding hockey invite into the NE 10 which is D3. That should have been accepted long ago.

St. Anselm's is currently in the NE 10 so Atlantic would be a jump from D3 to D1 for them. I believe St. Anselm's is D2 in all other sports.

I stand by my comment that URI Men's varsity hockey would make money and not be a bottomless pit like football.

I wish some of the folks on the Ram Blue Line Commission would read this thread and chime in.....

Bueller? Hello? Please chime in.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

UMass ice hockey has a long history dating back to 1908. The team competed in the Eastern College Athletic Conference at the Division II level through 1979, when the program was ceased due to the absence of an on-campus facility that could support ice hockey. Ice hockey returned in 1993 with the opening of the Mullins Center, and the team began competition in 1994 at the Division I level in the Hockey East Conference. The year 1993 is considered the beginning of the "modern era" of UMass Hockey.
The program has shown steady improvement since it resumed competition, with breakthrough years occurring in 2003 and 2004, when the team reached the Hockey East Tournament semifinals and finals, respectively. UMass Men's Ice Hockey appeared in their first NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Tournament (16 Teams) in the 2006-07 season and won their first NCAA Tournament game against Clarkson (1-0 OT) before losing to Maine (3-1) in the Regional Final.
The UMass hockey team is nicknamed "The Mass Attack." They are currently coached by John Micheletto. UMass alumni who have played/are playing professional hockey include Jonathan Quick, Thomas Pock, Greg Mauldin, Justin Braun, and Casey Wellman, among others. Quick also won a silver medal at the 2010 Winter Olympics as a member of Team USA and the Stanley Cup and the Conn Smythe Trophy as the postseason MVP with the Los Angeles Kings during the 2012 NHL playoffs.

- - - - -

The Huskies men's ice hockey program began in 1960 under head coach John Chapman. UConn began NCAA competition at the NCAA Division III level in the ECAC East.[2]
Prior to 1998, the Huskies played all home games outdoors at a partially enclosed rink on-campus near Memorial Stadium. The UConn Hockey Rink had a roof but was open on the sides.[3] However, in preparation for the upgrade to Division I, the University built the Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum. Construction began in 1996, and the first indoor home game for UConn was on November 7, 1998.[4][5]
The move to NCAA Division I status allowed the team to join other Husky athletic programs. Previously, the team had played for 38 years in the Division III ECACA East.[6] At the time, head coach Bruce Marshall was in his tenth season at the position. After posting winning records in their first two seasons at the highest level, the Huskies started to struggle. The athletic department was forced to remove all athletic scholarships from the sport in order to comply with Title IX,[7] and the Huskies consistently finished in the bottom few spots of the national computer rankings before the most recent season.[8]

On June 21, 2012 Connecticut announced the program will join Hockey East as the conference's 12th member beginning in the 2014-15 season.[15] As part of the move from Atlantic Hockey to Hockey East, the university will add 18 scholarships for the men's ice hockey team and additional scholarships to existing women's sports programs to meet Title IX gender equity requirements.[15] The university is also investigating options to significantly renovate the Freitas Ice Forum, which has a seating capacity around 2,000 fans, and mostly consists of metal bleachers; or build a new, larger ice arena on-campus.[15] Until then the team will play all Hockey East games at the 15,000-seat XL Center in downtown Hartford and non-conference games at the current ice arena. A study by the university projected a cost around $20,000 a game to play at the XL Center.[15]

(copied from Wikepedia)
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

No self respecting school can not have a football program. Hockey, on the other hand, is a niche sport for Canadian hillbillies and communists. Pass.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:No self respecting school can not have a football program. Hockey, on the other hand, is a niche sport for Canadian hillbillies and communists. Pass.

Strongly disagree...

(but pretty funny :lol: )
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

At least hockey can GENERATE revenue to offset some of the expenses unlike other sports. Maybe that's what some mean when they say it could make money???
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

ATPTourFan wrote:At least hockey can GENERATE revenue to offset some of the expenses unlike other sports. Maybe that's what some mean when they say it could make money???
There is a ton you have to take into account here, of course. You basically have to buy all new equipment for X players, how much is travel to and from games, and unlike football you're not just playing a dozen games or so. Also, I'm not sure if Boss is currently making money by renting out ice time to, say, NHS and SKHS, but if you have a D1 hockey program there I imagine they have an increased practice schedule vs. club, so you might lose some revenue there from groups using the building.

However, having said all that, it would shock me if URI hadn't done that sort of evaluation at some point, and I'm guessing economics is the major reason why they haven't done hockey. It wouldn't surprise me if a program is put in place in the future, maybe if the men's basketball program CAN become a yearly success. (Also, it wouldn't surprise me if in the next 20 years, URI takes a serious look at having a varsity-level lacrosse program - There is a talent base for that in the state and New England as well.)
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I kid about hockey. I am not a hockey fan, but I don't hate it. I don't see any scenario in which hockey makes money if there are scholarship players on the team. Even in a place like RI where hockey is relatively popular, not enough people care about it for it to operate in the black at URI. I don't mind football as a loss leader, though, because football IS college sports. If they would win, I wouldn't mind "wasting" money on football. Football is America now, in the same way America used to be baseball. You can't be a state school in America not play freaking football. They should revoke your charter or whatever if you even try to get rid of football. If you're going to lose money either way, have some pride and play America's sport, not a niche regional sport whose professional league shows playoff games between major market teams on an offbrand non-HD channel.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Go to a ram hockey game... No new gear needed classy uniforms and team plays at a high level. Coaching is top notch.

This jump is made with no expense other than entry fee.

I know few if any that have posted have ever been to a ram game at boss arena. I promise it will be much more than you expect. Frankly I was blown away. Have been to many college varsity hockey games both d 3 and d 1.

We are ready to make this jump. Check out the web site for rhody hockey(yes we have a web site!)

Blue line commission please chime in!!
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

SGreenwell wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:At least hockey can GENERATE revenue to offset some of the expenses unlike other sports. Maybe that's what some mean when they say it could make money???
There is a ton you have to take into account here, of course. You basically have to buy all new equipment for X players, how much is travel to and from games, and unlike football you're not just playing a dozen games or so. Also, I'm not sure if Boss is currently making money by renting out ice time to, say, NHS and SKHS, but if you have a D1 hockey program there I imagine they have an increased practice schedule vs. club, so you might lose some revenue there from groups using the building.

However, having said all that, it would shock me if URI hadn't done that sort of evaluation at some point, and I'm guessing economics is the major reason why they haven't done hockey. It wouldn't surprise me if a program is put in place in the future, maybe if the men's basketball program CAN become a yearly success. (Also, it wouldn't surprise me if in the next 20 years, URI takes a serious look at having a varsity-level lacrosse program - There is a talent base for that in the state and New England as well.)
I suspect the biggest obstacle to varsity hockey can be found on smith hill.
Btw unh sells out every game 7500 seats Whittemore center - usually sold out by August. Surely we can eventually compete with that no?
Agree about lacrosse too.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I don't buy the argument about not having hockey because it is a "regional niche" sport.......RI is in the region where hockey is popular....

.....you aren't going to get TV money.....but neither does our football team.....and if you sell out the arena on a consistent basis the net would probably be better than football...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Maybe, but at the end of the day you'd still have a hockey team and not a football team.

If the hockey team does as poorly as the football team, it won't draw. If the football program could figure out how to get good, they would draw much better than a good hockey team. I'd rather devote my resources to figuring out how to get good at football.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

I think only the OP has suggested killing football to support hockey. I remember the buzz around Ram football in 85, no reason it can't happen again.

- - - - - - - -

Third request.

Ram Blueline Commission please, pretty please chime in and let us know what is going on!! Somebody linky this thread to a member.....
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:Maybe, but at the end of the day you'd still have a hockey team and not a football team.

If the hockey team does as poorly as the football team, it won't draw. If the football program could figure out how to get good, they would draw much better than a good hockey team. I'd rather devote my resources to figuring out how to get good at football.
I don't think it's any secret what football needs to improve - a hell of a lot more money to improve the infrastructure.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

I don't know what makes people think URI can compete at D1 as is. They had a home and home vs. University of New England over the last two years and lost 9-1 on home ice, and 5-4 in Maine.

They have to make program improvements (scholarships, coaching etc) to win at D3, let alone in the Atlantic Hockey. They are a really good club program, but it's not like they're winning national titles every year either.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

EasyEdBrown wrote:I don't know what makes people think URI can compete at D1 as is. They had a home and home vs. University of New England over the last two years and lost 9-1 on home ice, and 5-4 in Maine.

They have to make program improvements (scholarships, coaching etc) to win at D3, let alone in the Atlantic Hockey. They are a really good club program, but it's not like they're winning national titles every year either.
Did you go to any games at Boss between 2005-2007?

As I said above those teams were big, fast, highly skilled and had great goaltending. The coaching remains in place and is fully capable of running a D 1 team. There were many reports at the time of closed door officiated scrimmages with hockey east clubs where the team held it's own. The games that URI had with D 3 teams at that time mostly resulted in RAM wins as I recall. I posted the web site above I am sure the history is there, no time now to research it too many Saturday errands.

The program has slid a bit in last couple years as the momentum of anticipation of going varsity is running out of steam.....Which is why IMHO this is our last good chance to jump. Agree the current team is down a bit on talent vs. teams of a few years ago but I am certain a jump to varsity would immediately ramp up the program talent wise. RI HS hockey remains loaded with top level talent capable of skating at the varsity level.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I believe the Rams could be a successful D1 scholarship hockey program.......I don't believe the admin will pull the plug on football, however, and the Title IX ramifications there make it impossible for the school to add hockey....sad, but that is my humble opinion....
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Because of the Title IX implications, URI would probably have to have a women's hockey team as well, which may make the whole deal cost prohibitive.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

hrstrat57 wrote:
EasyEdBrown wrote:I don't know what makes people think URI can compete at D1 as is. They had a home and home vs. University of New England over the last two years and lost 9-1 on home ice, and 5-4 in Maine.

Did you go to any games at Boss between 2005-2007?

As I said above those teams were big, fast, highly skilled and had great goaltending. The coaching remains in place and is fully capable of running a D 1 team. There were many reports at the time of closed door officiated scrimmages with hockey east clubs where the team held it's own. The games that URI had with D 3 teams at that time mostly resulted in RAM wins as I recall. I posted the web site above I am sure the history is there, no time now to research it too many Saturday errands.

The program has slid a bit in last couple years as the momentum of anticipation of going varsity is running out of steam.....Which is why IMHO this is our last good chance to jump. Agree the current team is down a bit on talent vs. teams of a few years ago but I am certain a jump to varsity would immediately ramp up the program talent wise. RI HS hockey remains loaded with top level talent capable of skating at the varsity level.
Yes I did..most of them from 2004-07. I believe they lost against a D3 team in 2007 as well (don't remember which year it was, I want to say it was against WNE). Where were the scrimmages held, and where are these reports? What teams did they scrimmage? I'm sure someone could verify that rather than relying on memory.

This team, as constituted without major upgrades (yes including coaching, as recruiting is much, much different), will not win much at D3 and will get steamrolled in D1.

Also, and I feel like this should be stated, how a club team did in 2007 is completely irrelevant to how it would do as a varsity program in 2013.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

I believe the team could be successful in Division 1 after a period of time. If the club team goes back to the success it used to have the school should consider moving to Division 3. After a number of years at the varsity level and with some success they could move up. Anyone who thinks this club team with the talent they have can compete in Division 1 tomorrow is pipe dreaming.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

you can't move to D3 rhodyfan, you cannot be D1 in every sport except 1, if they move out of club it would have to be D1
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rhodyfan3
ARD

twisted3829 wrote:you can't move to D3 rhodyfan, you cannot be D1 in every sport except 1, if they move out of club it would have to be D1
Oh right. I totally forgot about that. Well then I don't see them moving the varsity anytime soon. It's too expensive and the team isn't ready for a leap like that.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

EasyEdBrown wrote: This team, as constituted without major upgrades (yes including coaching, as recruiting is much, much different), will not win much at D3 and will get steamrolled in D1.

Also, and I feel like this should be stated, how a club team did in 2007 is completely irrelevant to how it would do as a varsity program in 2013.
Agree somewhat. Precisely why time is running out....ACHA National title is not too far in the past and momentum can be regained...but time is running out. Past performance is certainly not irrelevant as all the infrastructure remains in place for now but clearly the opportunity is slipping by.

IMHO the buzz created by the move to varsity coupled with Augustine's connections would be more than enough to field a strong club.

As to the scrimmages I refer to I have no first hand details....doors were closed. I heard rumors about a 1-1 tie with a club at the top of the Hockey East. If someone has substantive info they can chime in but the rumor IS irrelevant to the OP topic - I shouldn't have brought it up.....old stuff.

However, that 1 loss club was very, very good and could have competed in ECAC or Hockey East. Absolutely. Again I was astounded at how good they were. I recall them rolling multiple D3 clubs primarily NE 10 if I recall but my memory is not what it used to be....and appears the history is not on the web site, just stats at a quick glance. For sure nobody wanted any part of them....

Blue Line Commission please - where are you???? + Forty hits and a lot of folks reading this thread, over 400 views - use the power!!!

Seriously can somebody in the know link this thread to the Commission for comment?
Last edited by hrstrat57 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

twisted3829 wrote:you can't move to D3 rhodyfan, you cannot be D1 in every sport except 1, if they move out of club it would have to be D1
So how was UCONN able to add D 3 hockey then?
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Rhody74 wrote:Because of the Title IX implications, URI would probably have to have a women's hockey team as well, which may make the whole deal cost prohibitive.
This is probably true and the women's club team has been strong in the past, did not follow them in the last couple years.....

So I would say they are equally deserving.....

Edit:

Yep, equally deserving:

http://www.uri.edu/recservices/clubsports/wih.shtml
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

At least with my thoughts, I assume that if URI is getting quality players for the club level, they'd also be able to succeed at the D1 level. Like I doubt they'd be picking up Mac Bennett and Derek DeBlois instead of seeing them go to Michigan, but I imagine they'd have an advantage grabbing kids from New England and MSC.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Over BC/BU etc? I'd rather have a coaching staff that has some experience grabbing these kids.

But my point wasn't that URI can't compete in Atlantic Hockey...they aren't close yet. Say they made the jump for 2015-16 season...when is the earliest they could contend in that league? I would say anything before 2020-21 is pretty optimistic.

They just don't have the structure or name or money that Penn St. does to pull in the talent needed to just jump in with both feet.
0 x