Henton in trouble with Domestic assault

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Henton in trouble with Domestic assault

Unread post by Ramulous »

The pc scout board is reporting that Henton has charges pending on him involving some domestic violence issues.....case was arraigned on April 26 and there is a no contact order and a pretrial date of May 16.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out on many levels.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: Henton is trouble with Domestic assault

Unread post by twisted3829 »

on projo as well
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't expect much to happen. At most schools Henton would be gone, but Providence isn't exactly known for their ethics.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

It sounds like a "he-said, she-said" deal .... Given PC's history with troubled athletes, Cooley may come down hard on him.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

TruePoint wrote:I don't expect much to happen. At most schools Henton would be gone, but Providence isn't exactly known for their ethics.
Guess you haven't followed the Cooley years closely then
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:I don't expect much to happen. At most schools Henton would be gone, but Providence isn't exactly known for their ethics.
Probably true. I don't follow PC closely enough to differentiate, I just remember a lot of guys in the past running into trouble and being protected.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

True, there have been quite a few examples of PC players and questionable behavior and getting away with it. However, Cooley has had an exceptionally short trigger with players and off-the-court problems. In 2011 when he first arrived on the job, he essentially removed Duke Mondy from the team (who himself had a he-said she-said sort of assault situation, although it was more serious). He suspended Kadeem Batts for the entire OOC portion of the schedule for academic performance in 2011, even though Batts' grades were good enough to be academically eligible. Because of stuff like that, I have a hard time believing that Cooley is over on Smith Street willing to give free passes to players like Keno Davis and others before him were. It's obviously not a long list of things he has done, but enough for me as a fan to feel confident that when presented the facts, he will be able to come up with a fair punishment for Henton.

If found guilty, I've already been outspoken that my preference would be for him to be removed from the team, immediately. I have no use for thugs on my team, and regardless of circumstances, it is never acceptable to drag a woman around a dorm room, or throw her into a door, or threaten to throw her down the stairs. Extreme? Perhaps. At worst, if guilty I would like for him to see at least an 8 game suspension, and anything less than that would be petty and disappointing to me.

Alas, the story is far from complete and the picture is blurry at best. I'm sure more will come out in the coming days about what really happened, and hopefully all parties have learned from their past indiscretions.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

That's a pretty harsh and wholly unfair statement. Care to back it up with actual facts?
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Henton in trouble with Domestic assault

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I'd actually be upset if PC kicked Henton off the team or out of school at this point. Charges were filed against both parties, no? It's not a situation where there is a wealth of evidence outstanding to allow the College to take action ahead of normal Due Process. We can all probably think of types of situations that would warrant immediate action by PC Admins. I don't think this is one of them.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

ATPTourFan wrote:I'd actually be upset if PC kicked Henton off the team or out of school at this point. Charges were filed against both parties, no? It's not a situation where there is a wealth of evidence outstanding to allow the College to take action ahead of normal Due Process. We can all probably think of types of situations that would warrant immediate action by PC Admins. I don't think this is one of them.
I'm not sure I agree with this. Does it matter that they were both charged? He is alleged to have dragged her by her feet, picked her up and threw her into his dorm door, among other things. If any of this is true, he should be expelled from the team. Not just PC, but any team.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Alleged, right? So if the PC admins believe the evidence supports this story, then yeah he should be given a severe penalty.

I don't know about if there are other witnesses or not. Just saying a rush to judgment may not necessary here in this particular situation. Truth (or some reasonable measure of truth) should come out and decisions can be made on that, agreed?
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Not rushing to judgement, as I asserted that the transgressions were alleged to have happened. But yes, if it is true he should be expelled. Looking at our own situation with Holton last year, he was expelled before any allegations were proven as the case is still pending. In Henton's case there was physical assault, that should be deemed a more serious charge than what Holton did, and if he is found guilty it should be expulsion, not an 8 game suspension, as someone here suggested. That is the kind of history that should not be repeated at PC.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

A lot of these cases go by the wayside......upon reflection the victim feels that the perpertrator is sorry, or has changed, or stands to lose a lot....so there is pressure to recant the allegations....they get to court and the victim doesn't come, or comes and asks for the charges to be dropped....

...the truth is no one but the perp and the victim know the truth.....we can all hide behind the fiction of dismissal of the charges if we like the perp or if we are dependent on them for things.....

....those who need him or like him will believe he didn't do anything criminal.....those who don't like him or need him will always believe he did it no matter if it is dismissed.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

That's why I think this is a little different, since the only evidence (I have heard about, at least) is personal accounts by the two parties involved. Other situations would have stronger independently verifiable evidence that would allow PC admins to act swiftly even if formal charges get dropped as Ramulous said above.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The incident seems a bit similar with the Donnie McGrath situation a few years back. The McGrath situation may have even been a bit worse as it took place in a PC dorm. If I recall correctly, McGrath missed not one game. PC commented that he was somehow punished internally but it was never made public.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

RF1 wrote:The incident seems a bit similar with the Donnie McGrath situation a few years back. The McGrath situation may have even been a bit worse as it took place in a PC dorm. If I recall correctly, McGrath missed not one game. PC commented that he was somehow punished internally but it was never made public.
That is what I was referring to in my last post. "That is the kind of history that should not be repeated at PC." Also this incident took place in a PC dorm as well.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

And at the tail end of the Keno into the Cooley era, Duke Mondy was suspended 5 or 6 games (off the top of head; he missed the rest of the season from whenever it happened) and then subsequently kicked off his team when Cooley got there for a similar he-said/she-said assualt case. So let's not pretend there is a long string of endless crimes being buried by the PC Athletic Department. We are far from Syracuse and UCONN in the scope of dismissing these things.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:And at the tail end of the Keno into the Cooley era, Duke Mondy was suspended 5 or 6 games (off the top of head; he missed the rest of the season from whenever it happened) and then subsequently kicked off his team when Cooley got there for a similar he-said/she-said assualt case. So let's not pretend there is a long string of endless crimes being buried by the PC Athletic Department. We are far from Syracuse and UCONN in the scope of dismissing these things.

Why then did Donnie McGrath get off so lightly? He assaulted (choked) a woman in his PC dorm room and then tried to use his status as a PC basketball player to get special treatment (Be cool-You know me). What made him so different to PC?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

If true, the idea of a 6'7" athlete dragging a girl around and throwing her into a door
or whatever, is disgusting.
My father told me, from the time I could remember, "Only cowards hit women."
I fully agree.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

McGrath wasn't playing the PC player card. He had a relationship with the security guard. He asked him to take his word for the situation based on their friendship.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

seanmc94 wrote:McGrath wasn't playing the PC player card. He had a relationship with the security guard. He asked him to take his word for the situation based on their friendship.

Since you seem to know so much about the incident (even insinuating you know the intent of McGrath's words), perhaps you could enlighten us all in how Donnie's was punished? He seems to have never been suspended and sat out any games and there was no public evidence of any punishment administered by PC. All I can recall is a statement that PC was dealing with it "internally." How was he punished? Why does it seem he received different treatment than other players?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Although I'm not really going to stop people in you want to get into a pissing match over Donnie McGrath's punishment, I'll just say that it would shock me if this kind of stuff doesn't happen at URI, because in general it's rampant in society. For a variety of psychological and economical reasons, domestic assault charges are routinely dismissed because the victim doesn't want to press charges. If you want to castigate PC's handling for something that happened almost a decade ago, go ahead, but just realize that there are probably just as many skeletons of this variety in URI's closet as well.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The reason I brought up Duke Mondy is because that is a situation which was mostly handled by Coach Cooley, the person who decided his behavior in a more serious situation sure was enough to warrant removal from the team. He decided a 5 or 6 game suspension wasn't enough, and asked him to leave the school.

What happened under Keno or Welsh is the past, I don't care. The handling of the McGrath situation was under the old coaching regime, already twice removed. When looking at Cooley's grasp on discipline, it's like comparing apples to oranges to several coaches in the NCAA, and several past coaches at PC. He has shown through past actions that he will handle the situation appropriately.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

As far as I can recall; I don't believe Donnie was suspended.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

SGreenwell wrote:Although I'm not really going to stop people in you want to get into a pissing match over Donnie McGrath's punishment, I'll just say that it would shock me if this kind of stuff doesn't happen at URI, because in general it's rampant in society. For a variety of psychological and economical reasons, domestic assault charges are routinely dismissed because the victim doesn't want to press charges. If you want to castigate PC's handling for something that happened almost a decade ago, go ahead, but just realize that there are probably just as many skeletons of this variety in URI's closet as well.
This may be true, but the common denominator is the fact that an arrest is reported through all media channels. We can argue over what happens behind closed doors when in-house punishments are administered (or not), but I think it IS fair to compare arrest records of men's hoop programs.

If a player is arrested and the charges are later dropped, there is still significant damage to the school's hoop program and overall image. That's why I think it's fair to tally up the arrests.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

SGreenwell wrote:Although I'm not really going to stop people in you want to get into a pissing match over Donnie McGrath's punishment, I'll just say that it would shock me if this kind of stuff doesn't happen at URI, because in general it's rampant in society. For a variety of psychological and economical reasons, domestic assault charges are routinely dismissed because the victim doesn't want to press charges. If you want to castigate PC's handling for something that happened almost a decade ago, go ahead, but just realize that there are probably just as many skeletons of this variety in URI's closet as well.

The Holton situation two years ago is an example that troubles with the law do sometimes happen with URI hoops players. Thankfully is is not a common occurence. The last time I can recall another URI basketball player getting into trouble with the law was Dawan Robinson nearly a decade ago. URI took swift action both times immediately dismissing Holton two years ago and suspending Robinson for five games (two preseason and three regular season) in 2005 if my memory is correct.

The Rhody football program has seemed to have had more issues with players. The football team's attack of the frat in 1996 was the most prominent and the school immediately ended the season forfeiting its last game.

The Rhode Island administration over the last two decades has typically taken swift and harsh action when it comes to its athletes getting into trouble with the law. I applaud it for doing so.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RF1, the track team also pops up in the arrest log here and there, but with them and football I imagine it's a numbers game more than anything else. Both have squads of 40 to 60 guys, and I think if you took a random sampling of 40 to 60 people in most walks of life, you'll get people with some arrest records.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Now, Driscoll is saying that miraculously, Henton will be cleared of all charges,
when his side of the story comes out.
He also said Henton will be a big part of the PC team.
Driscoll must be channeling his inner Dave Gavitt, circa 1972.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Rod,
Were you there? Have you read a police report or talked to a witness? Just Bc a kid wears PC colors; doesn't mean he's guilty. Why don't we let the police and the AGs office handle things.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

That Bob Driscoll is some piece of work. He is absolutely sure of Henton's innocence and already hinting there will be no punishment before the case has even played out in the courts. Quite a contrast to several years ago when the URI Ram mascot was attacked and assaulted at one of his home games. He kept referring to that incident as alleged and seemed to be continually orchestrating a PR campaign to cast doubts that it ever happened. Bob always seems to be so sure of himself and conveniently his position is always what is best for him.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hey Sean,
WAS BOB DRISCOLL THERE?????
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Bob Driscoll, like most people associated with Providence, is not a good person.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

TP will attract some attention with that comment.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

This is shtick at this point. Don't know how much clearer I could make that. Haha.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am always reminded of a duplicitous sleazy lawyer every time I see Bob Driscoll interviewed or read comments from him. He makes my skin crawl. Do not like or trust the man one bit.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

I'm not going to pretend to like BD. Not my cup of tea. However, he has the facts. We don't. At this point, I will trust what he says more than a bunch of keyboard tough guys who throw out baseless barbs and then hide behind "it's schtick".
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

What barbs did I throw out? Like I said, I don't know how much clearer I could be: I don't like PC, but the over-the-top criticism is a joke. I'm sorry if you don't like jokes. Nobody is forcing you to read my posts. I'm not hiding behind anything. And I'm not sure what you mean by "internet tough guy." Usually that is reserved for people who threaten other posters, with physical harm or otherwise. I'm pretty sure I've never done that. I'm also not sure how you welded your opinion about Bob Driscoll's trustworthiness and your feelings about me together, but that was one killer non-sequitur.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

TP,

Questioning the ethics of an entire institution and making up baseless stories are what you call jokes?

Hilarious....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I made up a baseless story?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Probably true. I don't follow PC closely enough to differentiate, I just remember a lot of guys in the past running into trouble and being protected.
Yes you did.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Maybe you would be so kind as to point out the "story" you are trying to reference. What you quoted me as saying was neither a joke or a story. Want to try again?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Are you really that dense? I remember a lot of guys getting into trouble and being protected...

No facts
No proof
No nothing

just a guy with an axe to grind

and for the record, Henton would not be gone at most school's; including URI.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

That isn't a story. That is my recollection.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Charges dropped vs Henton
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

That must mean he didn't do anything wrong. Case closed.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Exactly.....
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

These endings happen quite frequently in domestic violence situations....
0 x