Cooley Signs Long-Term Extension with Friars

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Cooley Signs Long-Term Extension with Friars

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Given the progress the team has made over the course of two years, well-deserved.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Cooley Signs Long-Term Extension with Friars

Unread post by TruePoint »

Details?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Seriously, you can't make a thread like this without a link to some information, RJ.

4 Additional Years (through 2021) and a raise to an average of $2 Million/yr over the course of the contract.

Here's something useful:
http://news.providencejournal.com/sport ... 021-1.html
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

And of course, there won't be a peep [or poop] over his salary in the projo or anywhere else.

That's because the state isn't paying for any of it. Big deal. Like the state is paying much of Hurley's either.

There are hundreds of state employees making way more than the portion of Dan's salary the state pays. That includes those laundry guys.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Amen, Rambone78.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote:Seriously, you can't make a thread like this without a link to some information, RJ.

l
My apologies sir. When I created the thread I don't believe there were any hard details out there and if there were I missed them.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
ATPTourFan wrote:Seriously, you can't make a thread like this without a link to some information, RJ.

l
My apologies sir. When I created the thread I don't believe there were any hard details out there and if there were I missed them.
So you can, next time, simply add where you learned of this news?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:And of course, there won't be a peep [or poop] over his salary in the projo or anywhere else.

That's because the state isn't paying for any of it. Big deal. Like the state is paying much of Hurley's either.

There are hundreds of state employees making way more than the portion of Dan's salary the state pays. That includes those laundry guys.

My thoughts exactly. Cooley, the head coach at a 3,600 student school, will be making multiples of what Hurley, at a 13,000 student school, will make. The Providence Journal will however choose to write stories about the Hurley salary because a small amount of state money subsidizes it (around just 10%).
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ATPTourFan wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:

l
So you can, next time, simply add where you learned of this news?
Of course sir, my apologies. I'll try to keep things posted to fact, not opinion (unless further discussion begins).

As for the topic, I think you are always going to see uproar about state schools because naturally you have the uninformed saying "My God Damn Tax Dollars are paying for some sport at some school I don't give two shits about." If you were talking about Kentucky or other fan bases where the community loves the school, it's a different story because people all over want their money supporting the program, but when you have a public school that hasn't had much success recently and wasn't drawing well, it's naturally going to be a tough sell to the community. I know my grandfather specifically has referenced "I'm a PC fan yet my taxes are contributing to paying the current coach at URI, the former coach at URI, and somehow could contribute to potential program upgrades?" I'm sure he isn't the only one who feels that way, and that it isn't just isolated to PC fans. The only people slam dunk feeling the opposite are the 4,000 on average who consistently showed up at the Ryan last year.

It's a big different from a private school which is paying the coaches salary out of their own pocket. I also doubt he would be getting such a hefty raise (a little over $500,000) if TV money wasn't going to be double next year.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: Of course sir, my apologies. I'll try to keep things posted to fact, not opinion (unless further discussion begins).

As for the topic, I think you are always going to see uproar about state schools because naturally you have the uninformed saying "My God Damn Tax Dollars are paying for some sport at some school I don't give two shits about." If you were talking about Kentucky or other fan bases where the community loves the school, it's a different story because people all over want their money supporting the program, but when you have a public school that hasn't had much success recently and wasn't drawing well, it's naturally going to be a tough sell to the community. I know my grandfather specifically has referenced "I'm a PC fan yet my taxes are contributing to paying the current coach at URI, the former coach at URI, and somehow could contribute to potential program upgrades?" I'm sure he isn't the only one who feels that way, and that it isn't just isolated to PC fans. The only people slam dunk feeling the opposite are the 4,000 on average who consistently showed up at the Ryan last year.

It's a big different from a private school which is paying the coaches salary out of their own pocket. I also doubt he would be getting such a hefty raise (a little over $500,000) if TV money wasn't going to be double next year.
You should enlighten your grandfather and inform him that his direct payment through taxes to paying the current coach at URI, the former coach at URI, and contribution to upgrading the program probably amounts to a few pennies each year.

The State of RI only contributes about 10% to the operating budget of URI. It is among the lowest contribution rates of all 50 states toward their flagship public university. Your grandfather should be made aware that he would be paying far more toward the public flagship university if he lived in just about every other state.
Last edited by RF1 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote: Of course sir, my apologies. I'll try to keep things posted to fact, not opinion (unless further discussion begins).

You should enlighten your grandfather and inform him that his direct payment through taxes to paying the current coach at URI, the former coach at URI, and contribution to upgrading the program probably amounts to a few pennies each year.

The State of RI only contributes about 10% to the operating budget of URI. It is among the lowest contribution rates of all 50 states toward their flagship public university. Your grandfather should be made aware that he would be paying far more toward the public flagship university if he lived in just baout every other state.
I agree with you, but I think the problem with this goes far above my grandfather which was my only point. I feel like most people out there probably feel that because it's a state institution, they are probably contributing extremely high levels (IE greater than 10%).

I think Projo is a joke and I refuse to read it, the biggest reason being regardless of sports, local, etc., the stuff in there is mostly rehashed things from local newscasts or national newspapers. I once saw an article that was almost word for word something I had seen in CNN two days earlier. There is really no such thing as local reporting, forgetting diving into details.

This is the sort of stuff that the common folk of the state should understand, but the media in this state sucks, and it is far beyond sports and PC/URI.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

What's worse is that most older people religiously watch channel 10 which also doesn't seem to have a very pro-URI position.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

No media outlet is "pro URI".
Cross into Connecticut, and it's another world, where they love
their State school.
Then again, their legislature isn't dominated by people who couldn't care less about
UConn.
I remember when we had our Sweet 16 run and tickets were very limited.
I did, however, see legislators and staffers, who I knew to be PC people
sitting in seats our fans couldn't get.
One idiot bragged that his daughter was a Duke student. We were playing Duke.
So this creep had a seat and was rooting against us.
The media could educate the ignorant public on how little the State contributes to URI and
athletics.
Instead, they choose not to. and let resentment build up by the non conoscendi.
A sad state of affairs.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The way the state school is supported, financially and otherwise, is one of the most shameful things about Rhode Island. In many ways I love my state and how I grew up, but some things about it are just infuriating and/or depressing.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

It's sad because I know PC gets considerably more coverage so this isn't a complaint, but in good times RI could and should be a college sports area. Both PC and URI should be able to hold significant fan bases and have tremendous interest in the programs. Yet, at the first times of programs going down, they did 180 and tried to turn it into a Boston sports market, and while it is, rooting for a team like the Celtics should be secondary to the local programs.

Casual fans and students don't really understand how important of a part they are to the atmosphere of the program, not just the on-court product but recruits as well. If you go to the arena and see 60% empty seats, and then visit somewhere else and see a full house, whose atmosphere is going to wow you more? Yet it's a huge problem, both at PC and URI, and I think it's directly representative of just that lack of interest in college hoops.

ESPN hasn't helped at all either, as you could watch every Kentucky or UNC or Duke game if you really tried. It's easy to root for the winners and become "fans" from a distance. Being able to watch 1 of 10 college games at one time does take away from the necessity to run out to catch a game you aren't really emotionally invested in.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:No media outlet is "pro URI".
Cross into Connecticut, and it's another world, where
Not entirely true.

WHJJ Radio is supportive of URI sports given it has Steve McDonald and broadcasts games.

WLNE-6 TV used to be supportive when Don Coyne was there.

The local Souht County Independent and Nrragansett Times are supportive.

Basically every other media outlet is either neutral, ignores, or outright openly hostile to URI. The Providence Journal and WJAR-TV lead the pack in the latter.
Last edited by RF1 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I would also include Greenwell and the Patch up there. They are all over URI and never talk about PC. It's not as glamorous as other outlets but I view multiple patches on a daily basis.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I would also include Greenwell and the Patch up there. They are all over URI and never talk about PC. It's not as glamorous as other outlets but I view multiple patches on a daily basis.
We give some coverage to URI, but given that they have their own daily paper (The Cigar) and a press department that does a really nice job pushing out releases, it's not really that robust. Some of the releases I publish do get picked up by the other sites - a Barrington kid is in a URI play, for example - and I do cross-publish the URI basketball articles, figuring that there is some statewide interest there.

The issue with PC is that we don't really have a Providence Patch, and probably won't ever, since Providence is way too big of a city for the Patch model to work. I think the biggest cities that have patches are Cranston and Framingham, MA. So, we don't really do a ton about the Friars, and for similar reasons, not so much with state house coverage and like Governor Chafee's doings. I have run releases when I get them about PC students doing good stuff though, like one of the Degnan girls from Narragansett who's on the swim team.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Where is the uproar over how much PC is paying their coach vs helping the cash strapped city of Providence. They could have used some of that money to increase how much they give to Providence every year. I know they recently agreed to a "deal" with Providence, but it looks like they could have given more, now that we know they can pay their basketball coach $2m a year.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Don't worry...Ledo will donate $65K to PC for his year there and another $100K to the city in lieu of taxes !
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

I know you guys know the difference between public and private institutions; so your rants are obviously just whining. As far as Ledo goes, has Lamar scratched a check to cover the legal fees incurred in fending off the NCAA during his time in Kingston?
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This private vs public argument for disclosure is a load of crap perpuated by organizations that want to hide things (like the Catholic Church). Shouldn't all organizations be equally held accountable?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Perhaps the University of RI should now have to retroactively purchase the land which the University sits that they were given for free by the state that a private school like Providence had to purchase? There are advantages to being both private and public, ones which the other tend to ignore to prove a unsubstantiated opinion.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Lunardi just posted his 1st Bracketology for next season.

The Friars aren't in it. Wah! Wah! :D
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Check your bifocals...Last 4 out...WAH WAH....back to normalcy
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Only in the mind of a PC fan could "last four out" actually mean "in"
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

PC is right where any knowledgable PC fan should expect them to be right now in terms of projections. Without Ledo, I would predict PC next season to finish between an 11 seed in the NCAA and a 2 seed in the NIT. I feel it's probably about 50/50 they make the tournament with a lean on making it.
0 x