CONFIRMED: PC's Ricky Ledo to Declare for 2013 NBA Draft

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

CONFIRMED: PC's Ricky Ledo to Declare for 2013 NBA Draft

Unread post by Matunuck »

McNamara just tweeted that Ledo is leaning towards turning pro. Announcement coming Tuesday night or Wed. morning.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Ledo going pro!

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Why should we be surprised since Ledo is surrounded by people who give him bad advice for their personal gain?

I'm disappointed.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

If indeed true, I hope Ledo has the graciousness to repay pc for the cost of his education last year....from his signing bonus and first contract....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If I was Ledo, I'd be saving every penny. It's a long life and he's going to need it. Not sure what he would be qualified to do for work whenever his career ends. PC certainly doesn't need the money.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Its not the time yet for Ledo to go pro. It's funny, I was just talking to a friend of mine who is a PC fan and he was talking about how he can never get excited about an upcoming season because he has such bad luck. He rambled on about how Ledo will probably leave, Batts and Cotton will get hurt during the seaons etc, etc. Just ironic this announcement comes out two days later.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I hope most of what Ledo earns in the NBA doesn't get siphoned from his elite handlers. Imagine how good he would/could have been had he some decent people around him to help him make the right decisions.

It's too bad he doesn't get more time with Big Ed, but at least he had a year of Ed's coaching and discipline.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Ed Cooley has been hinting at him going pro for much of the past two months, some quotes more obvious than others. It seems Batts is staying so that means gaining at least 4 players, losing only 2.

I think losing Ledo hurts, but not as much as losing a guy like Batts. Between the increased depth at positions 1-3 (Austin 6'6 plays 1-3, Harris/Bullock 3-4), and still having a guy like Cotton who played most of the season with a minor tear in his knee and still led the Big East in scoring, the effects are negated some. PC has a lot more questions in the frontcourt than in the backcourt.

With 2 scholarships open now (which was 0 back in January), I look for Cooley to try to get a fairly talented player on the transfer wire and save the other scholarship for next season. It's likely a little too late to make dents on seniors now that he has been recruiting mostly 2014 for most of the past 5 months.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Ed Cooley has been hinting at him going pro for much of the past two months, some quotes more obvious than others. It seems Batts is staying so that means gaining at least 4 players, losing only 2.

I think losing Ledo hurts, but not as much as losing a guy like Batts. Between the increased depth at positions 1-3 (Austin 6'6 plays 1-3, Harris/Bullock 3-4), and still having a guy like Cotton who played most of the season with a minor tear in his knee and still led the Big East in scoring, the effects are negated some. PC has a lot more questions in the frontcourt than in the backcourt.

With 2 scholarships open now (which was 0 back in January), I look for Cooley to try to get a fairly talented player on the transfer wire and save the other scholarship for next season. It's likely a little too late to make dents on seniors now that he has been recruiting mostly 2014 for most of the past 5 months.
Ricky Ledo was ranked in the Class of 2012:
Rivals #6
Scout #17
ESPN #21
Losing Ledo will not hurt as much as losing Batts would?

Really? Really? Really??????????
So we are at the Gym this summer and we are picking teams and you have first pick and you honestly take Batts. Thank you very much for leaving Ledo to me.
I like Batts, and he made good progress, but there is no way I would give up Ledo before Batts, not even close.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I agree that Batts would be a bigger loss than Ledo. It isn't a matter of who is the better player in a vacuum. In the context of PC's roster, they are much more equipped to absorb the loss of Ledo.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote:Really? Really? Really??????????
So we are at the Gym this summer and we are picking teams and you have first pick and you honestly take Batts. Thank you very much for leaving Ledo to me.
I like Batts, and he made good progress, but there is no way I would give up Ledo before Batts, not even close.
Ledo is clearly a better player than Batts, but I'm saying given the team as currently constructed, the loss of Ledo can be hidden some by the incoming players (3 of which are wing players) and the current players on the roster (like Cotton). PC has good (not great) depth at 1-3. They have poor depth at the 4-5. If Batts left, you would return to having 2 guys capable of playing in the frontcourt (Henton and Desroisiers), one of whom is a major ?? as to if he can be an impact player at the Big East level. Batts averaged 15 and 7, was very efficient from the floor, and gave you toughness in the paint.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Batts will play overseas and never get a sniff from the NBA
Ledo will be a first round draft pick in the NBA this year and for sure play in the NBA

I say it is not even close, not even remotely close
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Reports: Ledo leaning towards going pro!

Unread post by Rhody74 »

CBS has Ledo the 18th best NBA prospect and the 4th best shooting guard:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/pros ... ing-guards
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

ramster wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:Ed Cooley has been hinting at him going pro for much of the past two months, some quotes more obvious than others. It seems Batts is staying so that means gaining at least 4 players, losing only 2.

Ricky Ledo was ranked in the Class of 2012:
Rivals #6
Scout #17
ESPN #21
Losing Ledo will not hurt as much as losing Batts would?

Really? Really? Really??????????
Ramster,
Didnt you pick delroy and Martel over marShon a few years back? ;)
Kidding,
No way to spun it. RL is special. PC will still dance; but they could have been nasty
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ramster wrote:Batts will play overseas and never get a sniff from the NBA
Ledo will be a first round draft pick in the NBA this year and for sure play in the NBA

I say it is not even close, not even remotely close
Teams win in college, players win in the NBA.

I'm not disputing your position talent-wise, RL is far superior to KB.

The hypothetical question though is whose loss could you potentially mask better based on the current roster.

When you lack big men, losing one hurts a lot more. When you have a talented scorer already out on the wing in Cotton, and most of your roster consists of players that can play 1-3, it's easier to hide the guard/wing player.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Transfers

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Reports: Ledo leaning towards going pro!

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

RICKY LEDO TO LEAVE PC FOR NBA

Unread post by RF1 »

It looks official now that Ledo will go pro. Announcement expected later today from PC per Projo. Have got to think Cooley and PC were prepared for this as recruiting him was always a risk - plenty of talent but uncertain if he would ever play. I question whether this is a wise move on Ledo's part.

Not to pour salt in the wound of PC fans, but I would find some pleasure in the irony that Donaldson made a case for Huley to leave and Ledo to stay and just the opposite of what he wrote may occur. Maybe he should refrain from offering advice in the future.

Providence College
Ricky Ledo to leave PC for NBA
April 9, 2013 2:00 pm By Jim Donaldson

http://news.providencejournal.com/sport ... ision.html
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So, if he gets drafted, do they say his high school or PC?
He never played there, so it's a legitimate question.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rodfromcranston wrote:So, if he gets drafted, do they say his high school or PC?
He never played there, so it's a legitimate question.
Which high school? He's got about 5 in his resume ....
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: CONFIRMED: PC's Ricky Ledo to Declare for 2013 NBA Draft

This is a big disappointment, I would hope, for ALL fans of Rhode Island college basketball. I, for one, was excited to potentially see Ricky play at the Ryan Center for a hopefully top 25 Friar squad in December.

BTW, great pic of Ricky here (courtesy Providence Journal).
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

So that nationally ranked recruiting class is really just Kris Dunn, as Fortune didn't live up to expectations.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"Not sure what he would be qualified to do for work whenever his career ends?"

Deckhand on a submarine? Shepherd? Professional blood donor?

Just kidding, I don't really know anything about Ricky Ledo.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I echo ATPs sentiments, wanted to see him suit up at the Ryan Center. He was such a great teammate this year from what I saw, at every game suited up, cheering on his mates, all the way to the end. I guess he had no choice but to me I always thought that doesn't look like a guy who intends to not suit up eventually for PC. Money is a tough thing to walk away from, and I guess that was the ultimate lure, but you can't help but think he would be in an exponentially much better place after 1 year of high level CBB.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I don't know. From what it looks like, Ledo's going 1st round, maybe as high as 15th or so.

If he were to play next year and get hurt, or somehow not quite live up to the hype, he could fall to the 2nd round, or out of the draft altogether.

I think there's more downside to playing in college next year, than potential upside. So I think he's making the right choice.

And that's not because I'm not a PC fan.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I agree, too. was looking forward to seeing him play.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If he and Batts were to play next season, PC could have been a top 25 team.

Without Ledo, nope. Maybe they will Dance, maybe not.

I think URI and PC will be bubble teams. The game at the RC will be a good one.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Honestly I was not looking forward to Ricky playing for PC next year or any year. I don't root for the NY Yankees either. I liked Youk but now I want him to strike out every time.
Have to give credit to all of those posters who said a year ago that Ricky would never suit up or play one game for PC.
I wonder if the Kevin Ware injury influenced his thinking at all. Another big injury was to Newlens Noel - #1 player in the Class of 2012 and he goes out injured.
I think Ledo is doing the right thing for himself. 82 games verus 30 right off the bat. He will go in the first round.
And have to give credit to Kingston - wow!!!!
He said this would be a great week for Keaneyblue.
- Hurley not going to Rutgers :)
- Hurley gets an extension :)
- EC Mathews stays around because Hurley is staying :)
- Hassan Martin stays around because Hurley is staying :)
- Ledo leaving PC for the NBA :)
- and it is only Tuesday, what else is in store for us in this great week for Keaneyblue, Kingston? :) :) :)
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ramster, maybe wait until next week, when Dan announces a couple more top 100 signings!

:P
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Not happening.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod I know, just kidding.

However, in the future, with success, there should be more.
0 x
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyrob »

A Question for Rhode Islanders -URI and PC fans. Since 1950 how many native RIers have played in the NBA? I can only think of 4- (do you know who they are?) that were born and raised in RI. I'm not looking for those that came to college here.
Next year it looks like we may add two more -Ledo and Murphy
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Ernie D., Joe Hassett and Marvin Barnes are three ....
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

How are you going to forget Tommy Garrick on a URI board....
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

KILL HIM!
Must be a PC troll! LOL!
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Ouch! Forgot he played in the League ....
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Just as a side note, Norvel Pelle also declared for the NBA draft today. He was targeted by Hurley when he first took the job but his academics were a disaster. Iona signed him, but like Ledo, Pelle will never suit up for them.

Big mistake by Ledo, but I'm not shocked. He seems to have people in his ear giving him bad advice.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I really hope Ledo's money doesn't all go to those vultures he calls friends or *ahem* -- ADVISORS.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Many an athlete's fortune has been squandered by their "entourage".

They just can't say no, and before you know it, it's gone.

I guess that's why you'll still find Marvin Barnes on the streets of South Providence.

Although he "blew" a lot of it on himself.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I remember a story about Ron Artest. He took his posse on the road, and had people
to do everything but breathe for him.
He blew his entire 1 million plus in one year.
As for what's happening with Ledo, it would be if Lamar went pro and
never played that season.
All the anticipation and hope, just by the boards.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Jury is out; if he goes in the top 20, smart play. If he doesn't; oops.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

When Lamar left, it was a matter of his going 1,2 or 3. At 6'11" with guard skills,
he was a no doubter.
6'6" SGs are a little harder to predict.
Plus, lately, so many Euros, who nobody has a clue about, going in the first round.
Hope whoever is advising him knows what they're doing, and are people who are looking out for
him.
Lamar had people coming out of the woodwork, trying to get a piece of the pie.
Still does.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Lamar still has bad taste in advisors/friends/entourage.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

With so many good players recently declaring for the draft, Ledo may slide down the list somewhat.

He'll still be 1st round, but more likely low 1st round.

At least he'll get picked by a good team.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The best thing for Ricky would probably be to get drafted by someone on the west coast ... The closer to home he'd just around way too many people who care about his money.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I think he should have stayed, he's a good player but I see his attitude effecting him. I see him in the dNBA for a couple years, get frustrated then go to Europe
Last edited by twisted3829 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Jagr? As in #68 on the Bruins?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I wish the Bruins got Jaromir about 15 years earlier.
He and Lemiuex were such an awesome pair on the Penguins.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

stupid auto correct on the phone
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rambone 78 wrote:With so many good players recently declaring for the draft, Ledo may slide down the list somewhat.

He'll still be 1st round, but more likely low 1st round.

At least he'll get picked by a good team.
Actually, Chad Ford and others are on record as saying that the draft this year is somewhat weak. It's lacking in elite prospects, with a lot of people thinking you're just as likely to get an all-star at pick #25 as you are around #4. If Ledo does well in workouts and in showcase games, he could probably get himself in the lottery.

Trying to put myself in the shoes of a parent of an athlete like this... I think if I ever had a child that was projected to be a first round pick in any sport, whether it's basketball, baseball or something else, I'd tell them to just go pro right away. If you have a strong family and what not, it doesn't take much planning to take $80,000 from that first contract or signing bonus to plan for an eventual college education at the university of his or her choice. However, the issue with Ledo seemingly is that he's surrounded by a slew of shitty people, who are just looking to get a taste of the cash, as opposed to having Ledo's best interests at heart.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Ricky Ledo checks in with the 2nd highest body fat percentage at the NBA Draft Combine. Ledo registers at 10.3% second only to Duke's Ryan Kelly at 14.8%. I know you can't take a lot from body fat but it continues to validate the notion that this kid got bad advice and is not ready for the next level.

As my cousin and PC alum said, he will be playing in Italy.

Ledo also makes his first appearance on the NBADraft.net mock draft... as the last pick in the draft.

http://nbadraft.net/2013-nba-draft-combine-measurements
0 x