New Big East Conference Strength

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
ramster
Frank Keaney

New Big East Conference Strength

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
steviep123 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:Going to throw out my idea for a A10/MVC challenge again.
Great idea, but I'd rather have an A10/New Big East challenge....show them that they can poach our teams, but we're not going down with out a fight!
Why would the BE ever do that? They would be a favorite in nearly every single game, so there would be no real advantage for the BE to do that.
Maybe because the new Catholic 7 Big East is a mere shadow of what it was. New Catholic 7 is mostly mid majors now. Look at their records of the past year. St John's Creighton, Butler and Seton Hall did not land a single ESPN Major Recruit - that was not the case in the past Big East History when Pitt, Syracuse, West Virginia, Notre Dame, Rutgers, UCONN, etc were in the old BE. Even teams that landed ESPN guys landed 80 - 90 level - again not at all like in the past.
The present is what this league has become, not even close to the past historical levels of recruiting performance. Only Marquette showing signs of the past and they should run away from this pack. The Catholic 7 raided a lot of the perennial cellar dewllers.
So it makes sense that they go up against the A10 and the MVC.

Here is my prediction for next year with this year's record in ( ):
1. Marquette (20-6) with #26, #49 and #55 ESPN recruits coming in
2. Georgetown (25-7) with #63 ESPN recruit - then will lose to a 15th seed in the NCAA Tournament
3. Villanova (20-14) with #59 and # 91 ESPN recruits
4. St Johns (17-16) No ESPN recruits
5. Butler (27-9) No ESPN recruits
6. Xavier (17-14) with #89 ESPN recruit
7. Creighton (28-8) No ESPN recruits
8. PC (19-15) with #56 ESPN recruit
9. Depaul (11-21) with #90 ESPN recruit
10. Seton Hall (15-18) No ESPN recruits

Looks mid major to me
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: 2013-2014 schedule

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

And I'm not arguing that it is taking a stepback, but so is the A-10. The BE goes from the best major conference to the best mid-major conference. But how far does the A-10 fall? Usually for these challenges, you are choosing comparable conferences where most teams have the benefit of playing equal competition and consistent over time.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Hey, I finally agree with RJ.......but the gap between the old big east and the old A-10 was huge for a long period of time....even with Xavier in the league years ago...and the A-10 managed to elevate itself from a 1 or 2 bid league into a 3 and 4 bid league...so I think the league is still well thought of as one of the 3 best mid-major conferences in the country...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

What was the A10 record against the BE the last few years? I don't know the answer, but I'm guessing it was pretty close, and if extrapolated further to the C7 maybe closer.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Georgetown is so overrated - what a joke of a program that always loses to 12-15 seed teams. Georgetown is a legend only in the minds of Catholic 7 fans.
Exactly right.....the gap between the A10 and the Catholic 7 is small now. Xavier was middle of the pack in the A10, program has dropped with the coaching change and they are not recruiting near the level they used to.
Just because a conference is on TV a lot does not put their teams in the Top 25.
Gap is much, much smaller.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

RAM67 wrote:What was the A10 record against the BE the last few years? I don't know the answer, but I'm guessing it was pretty close, and if extrapolated further to the C7 maybe closer.
BBState.com has this data readily available. I don't have time to compile or extract the New Big East members, but it's all there: http://www.bbstate.com/conferences/A-10/vs
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Xavier is a middle of the pack A-10 team? In what universe?

Yes they had a bad year this year rebuilding, but you are talking about a team that went to 11 out of 13 NCAA Tournaments since the year 2000. Over the past 15 years, they have been THE BEST A-10 team. 2 Elite 8's, 3 other sweet 16's, and a 15-11 NCAA Tournament record.

Talk about wishful thinking.

As for the A-10 and BE, they are close-ish now, until further expansion takes place. Who knows though, maybe a school like Witchita St. has popped onto the radar and maybe they along with St. Louis become the options and damage is limited.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Thank you Sancho Panza..
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes,
Xavier finished 9-7 in A10 good for 7th place out of 16 teams = middle of the pack
The team that should run away with the Catholic 7 Conference next year, Marquette, looked bad today against syracuse shooting only 22% from the field. I thought Marquette was better than that - I overrated them myself.
Catholic 7 welcome to the world of Mid Major basketball.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I'm really disappointed in you as a basketball fan if you really believe a young team that finally had a down year is a minimal loss to the conference because they had one year where they didnt make the tournament for the 2nd time in the past 13 years. Why are they even going to the BE? They apparently are going to be an average team... Guess the fact 11 out of 13 doesn't mean anything and isn't a huge loss, after all they only finished 9th this year :lol:

I also guess making the Elite 8 and having a bad game, write Marquette off they suck. Indiana sucks too for having a bad game against 'Cuse.

I will agree with you on Georgetown though. Their style does not translate to the tournament. If JTIII does not evolve, he will struggle to ever come close to making it back to the F4. They will always be the team that has good regular seasons, but one blah kinda game in the NCAA and get bounced.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

All 3 of the new BE's NCAA tournament teams were overrated. Even Marquette. They shouldn't have even made it out of the 1st round.

Of the teams coming in, Butler and Creighton made it to the second round.

The one thing that might save this new conference's ass is Fox's money, but it's no guarantee. Of course, with all the TV exposure they'll get, they will continue to be just like the old BE has been for a while, and that's still overrated.

Their best teams are gone. And that's a fact, jack.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I don't know if I would call them overrated, although I do think they overachieved. I mean I guess it can be called overrated (in terms of tourney seeding), but I never thought those teams were that great from the start.

Do you know what Marquette, Georgetown, and Villanova's ranking was preseason?

34, 38, and no votes. And their preseason BE prediction? 7, 5, and 12.

Each team brought in a core of good players, but young teams. In a good year, those teams probably stay unranked, I didn't think they were that good, but NCAA was down as a whole and they were able to play well enough to sneak up the ladder, and then each team became exposed. Going into next year, Gtown will return everyone but Otto Porter who about 99% goes pro. Marquette returns most of their core as well.

Who is going to sit and deny that the best teams are gone? It's an undeniable fact. I'm not going to sit here and try to justify it like Ramster is with Xavier with BS. I think people get that confused when we say the C7 split was the best option on the table.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, I'm not saying the new BE will be a bad basketball league. They'll be the best non BCS mid major whatever-you-want-to-call-it league.

And that's because the bottom end

of the A10 blows. Seton Hall and DePaul are bad, but not as bad as Fordham and Duquesne.

The top half of each league will be comparable.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote:Well, I'm not saying the new BE will be a bad basketball league. They'll be the best non BCS mid major whatever-you-want-to-call-it league.

And that's because the bottom end

of the A10 blows. Seton Hall and DePaul are bad, but not as bad as Fordham and Duquesne.

The top half of each league will be comparable.
Agree for now, depends on that realignment brings, which is most of the reason why I can't see them beginning a contract for a challenge. But there are still a ton of question marks in regards to that to.

2nd question and because it's always been something I would love to see -- How would you guys feel about doing a RI round robin weekend every year? PC, URI, Bryant, Brown. Have the site rotate between PC and URI as to whoever would host the yearly matchup. I've always felt it would be pretty nice to knock out those guaranteed games in one weekend, and what better than a tournament format? It's just always something I would think would be fun.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

The question for me is how successful will fox be? If this league does not get the viewers on fox then G'town and nova can become mid major really fast. It is going to be different for those teams to not be the Espn darlings always being pumped up. BTW I hope the ACC just adds UConn and makes a really elite conference.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I still think Villanova has an escape hatch. They could easily jump to BCS football if someone (the ACC?) made it worth their while.

But to your point, a Big East without Syracuse, UConn, Louisville, Cincinnati, West Virginia and Pitt (and others) will not be the draw that the former Big East was. How many people are tuning in for St. John's/DePaul or Seton Hall/Creighton? In two or three years, how big of a game will Providence/Villanova be? I don't think FOX is going to get a favorable ROI here, so what will the next TV deal be like?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

The problem the new Big East will have will be two-fold:

1) There are no great teams. There are a lot of good teams, but no great teams.
2) They are lacking a lot of natural rivalries.

For games like Seton Hall/Depaul or other games of that nature, I don't think it makes a big difference because let's be honest, those were usually relegated to ESPN3 or other local networks like SNY.

The big difference I think will be on your "Big Monday" or equivalent, who will be watching on those nights? At least for the first few years, I would be shocked if there was natural excitement about Marquette/Butler or St. John's/Xavier, even if both teams are pretty good competing for the NCAA.

However, Fox is really trying to build a brand, they want to rival ESPN and they want real content to do so. They aren't trying to rival ESPN with IVY League football/basketball. They will have partial rights to Pac-12 football/basketball. They have partial rights to MLB it looks like they will want to use. They have a lot of football content. They will have the rights to the Big East. The hope needs to be that the network works, because if it does, you will get paid. If Fox 1 ends up being a flop (like CBS Sports Network), the next contract is going to be a joke. If the network succeeds, as will the Big East. That is the big risk with taking the big payday to be with an unproven network.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I want that new BE to fall on its face
0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

I don't think they will fall on their face, but the new Big East will be nowhere the caliber of the Big East of the past 10 years. I think it will be a good league but a $3,000,000 per team TV contract league it is not.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Mongo, I think you got it right. It's actually going to be $4.1 million per team per year. Ridiculous.

Either that's got to come down with the next contract, or the A10's has got to go up, to have any chance to compete with that.

Imo, the new FOX 1 will never approach ESPN. ESPN has its faults for sure, but it's just too entrenched in the minds of sports-watching fans everywhere. How many sports channels do we need?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:I don't know if I would call them overrated, although I do think they overachieved. I mean I guess it can be called overrated (in terms of tourney seeding), but I never thought those teams were that great from the start.
Do you know what Marquette, Georgetown, and Villanova's ranking was preseason?
34, 38, and no votes. And their preseason BE prediction? 7, 5, and 12.
Each team brought in a core of good players, but young teams. In a good year, those teams probably stay unranked, I didn't think they were that good, but NCAA was down as a whole and they were able to play well enough to sneak up the ladder, and then each team became exposed. Going into next year, Gtown will return everyone but Otto Porter who about 99% goes pro. Marquette returns most of their core as well.
Who is going to sit and deny that the best teams are gone? It's an undeniable fact. I'm not going to sit here and try to justify it like Ramster is with Xavier with BS. I think people get that confused when we say the C7 split was the best option on the table.
Fly,
You can refer to my comments about Xavier as BS - it's a message board and there is a lot of BS on message boards.
No doubt Xavier is a loss for the A10, but I don't think as big a loss to the A10 or as big a gain to the Catholic 7 BE as some believe.
Reasons:
Chris Mack is no Sean Miller. Miller took Xavier's best player with him to Arizona, Mark Lyons, who then became Arizona's best player and high scorer this year (Miller also grabbed TJ McConnell from the A10 - he will be the starting PG for Arizona next year). Miller is a great Coach and an even better recruiter - a big loss for Xavier. Maryland then grabbed Xavier's best player last year, Dez Wells, who then became Maryland's best player and high scorer this year. Mack lost his two best players. Mack has not recruited like Xavier Teams of the past. So we can look at the past of look to what Xavier's present and future under mack likely looks.
Xavier was picked 9th in the A10 in Coaches preseason poll, so they actually exceeded expectations.
Butler was picked 6th in the preseason poll and exceeded.
Losing Xavier hurts the A10 but this has been rumored for years - so they move on.
Butler was a one night stand. They see the grass greener or the money greener in the C7 BE. They were not with the A10 long enough to be missed. Why they are going to the 9 team Catholic School League and not be Catholic surprises me on both sides - does not make sense and therefore may not be long lasting.

The C7 BE is not near the level of the old BE. Only 2 players in the Top 50 going to the new C7 and both to Marquette. Used to be the BE would nab a dozen of the Top 50. 4 of the C7-BE Teams wre strike outs. I am sure they all think that the new publicity and TV package will change all that - or else why more, right?
But with so many games on TV or Streamed for free or for relatively low cost, the advantage of a FOX TV Package has greatly diminished from years past. If I were a fan of any of these Schools I might think differently, but to the average basketball fan which matchups of these teams appeals me to change the channel to watch? Marquette maybe the marquis team but they just set the record for boredom and fewest points in the NCAA since the shot clock with 39 points???

Sorted by Recruiting this year so far...........first number is predicted finish next year, PC could go higher if Ledo plays.
1. Marquette (20-6) with #26, #49 and #55 ESPN recruits coming in
3. Villanova (20-14) with #59 and # 91 ESPN recruits
8. PC (19-15) with #56 ESPN recruit
2. Georgetown (25-7) with #63 ESPN recruit - then will lose to a 15th seed in the NCAA Tournament
6. Xavier (17-14) with #89 ESPN recruit
9. Depaul (11-21) with #90 ESPN recruit

4. St Johns (17-16) No ESPN recruits
5. Butler (27-9) No ESPN recruits
7. Creighton (28-8) No ESPN recruits
10. Seton Hall (15-18) No ESPN recruits
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think if Ledo plays, PC and St Johns can swap positions.

No way is St Johns going to finish 4th next year. PC might finish 4th with Ledo. That makes PC a borderline NCAA tourney team, say a 10-12 seed.

If no Ledo, PC is a bubble team.

And, I'm not a PC fan. Just trying to be realistic.

Just like I think URI could be anywhere from an 8 seed in the Dance, to an NIT team.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

St John's Top 7 Leading Scorers this year are all back next year. Very talented group. Harrison should be back after his suspension. In the watered down C7 BE St John's talent and another year experience should move them at least to 4th.
Harrison - Soph
Sampson - Freshman
Green - Soph
Pointer - Soph
Branch - Freshman
Garrett - Soph
Obekpa - Freshman
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: New Big East Conference Strength

Ramster,

That explanation can make a lot more sense then simply saying they are "middle of the road." I mean, I think all of the A-10 schools are going to have a hard time acclimating to the Big East. Even the bad schools in the conference (Seton Hall, DePaul) will bring in some resemblance of major conference talent, and while I think Xavier and Butler are good programs, they have also had the ability to beat up on the bottom half of the A-10 (which is incomparable to the bottom portion of the BE on most years). The loss of Butler is obviously minimized because they were only there for 1 season, but Xavier is a bigger loss at the moment then I think you give them credit for.

I think comparing recruiting numbers is also a tough task at this point. SJU for example, I don't believe they have any scholarships available. They redshirted senior Gods Gift last season, they had prized JUCO recruit Orlando Sanchez out all of last year, so they will get some solid pieces in, assuming Harrison stays around (which reports say he will). Also, all of the Big East schools got to recruit under the Big East name, and all of the A-10 schools had to recruit under the A-10 name. Who knows how much change the new conference on recruiting. I think it will be minimal for the current Big East teams and a boost for the new programs for now, until we see how the conference plays out over a year or 2. I believe Marquette only has a few scholarships available, Gtown only had one available (until Porter declares), PC only had 2 available for a while, so I mean when you look in comparison to how many scholarships they had opened, they have still hit on a decent number of Top 100 players.

The only place I think you are crazy Ramster, is saying that PC will finish 8 out of 10 next year. That's what we call smoking the old peace pipe a little too hard my friend. If Ricky Ledo ends up playing, they could go as high as 3. Without him, they are still likely top 5 in that conference.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Fly,
That is why I had St john's ranked #4 - and they could easily go higher than that - they could be battling Marquette for #1.
For PC I just don't think we will ever see Ledo play.
I am not impressed with Derosiers, Sidiki is gone, Dunn was not the player I expected - he may blow up next year which could make me change my mind on him,,,,,,,,,,,PC probably deserves to be higher so you are probably right - that is my heart talking the opposite of how yours talks about PC.
The BE has 10 Teams
The A10 has 13 - and could add more...........so when comparing the two I tend to look at the 10 for the BE and the Top 10 for the A10 - not counting Duquesne, Fordham and probably Bonnies since URI will escape the dungeon next year.
Compare the 10 in each League and I think they are closer than some think.
By the way, I appreciate how you know your rosters and basketball - and I don't give out many compliments to PC fans
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

WHat did you expect Dunn to do; considering he was coming off shoulder surgery, and played out of position? Kid will be a STUD next year. 10 pts, 5 rbs, 5 assists, 2 steals per. Mark it down.

Ledo and Batts play, PC makes the sweet 16. Without them, NCAA bubble team.
CD will be asked to alter some shots and rebound. If he can do that, everthing else is gravy.
Recruiting-wise; SHU had 2 highly rated guys just decommit. Tough break, but the guys were sketchy.
Xaivier didn't "lose" Wells, they kiked him out.
Despite a down year; they have been the class of the A-10.
G'town may not be what they once were; but they are hardly a joke.
I think Dunk City proved they were for real this year and Gtown may have been a little over-seeded.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

here's the biggest reason the new BE will never be what it was.....the Fox channel will be buried on the dial, and Joe Public who wants to watch hoops just puts on ESPN. Its ESPN and everyone else.

and i love when the BE teams lose they were "probably" overrated, but at the beginning of the year their fans talk about each team like they are the 1972 UCLA Bruins.

i will make this prediction, Kadeem Batts is more impt to PCs success next year than Ledo. Between Dunn, Cotton, Fortune and Austin they can make do without Ricky no matter how good he is....without Batts PC is DEAD MEAT. I have no idea why a kid would bail on the program just as they are about to have a realistic shot at success, unless he has financial issues that cannot wait a year.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

BAR,

I didn't want to take the other thread on a detour so I will post my retort here.

At no point have I said the Big East will be where it was. It will be a good conference with a lot of good teams and good depth, but not a great one. Once they pick off what will likely be two more good A-10 teams, that is just two more good teams to the Big East, and two more good teams out of the A-10. You and I both know that is likely going to happen, unless by chance maybe they chase after a Witchita St.

The A-10 will lose two more good teams, bringing the total to 6 (assuming UMASS doesn't leave for football purposes). For the time being, that will take the A-10 out of the "top-tier" of mid-majors IMHO. It will be the Big East, America 12, and MWC up there, and then what will likely be a decent size gap. That's what I personally think, which is why I quickly dismissed such a thought of a "challenge."

The A-10 has many more question marks about where they will be and how they will get there than the BE does. Does the TV contract get cut? You hear whispers about the ACC trying to get to NYC, and since MSG just reupped with the BE, does Barclays try to dump their contract? Can anyone consistently step up to the level of VCU? Will the A-10 be able to cut the dirt at the bottom of the conference? That last one especially is the biggest one holding the A-10 back.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Josh Fortune did not impress me at all, for all the hype this guy got coming in as being this unbelieveable shooter - he shot 32% on the season from the field...................32%?
and he disappeared in many games. I just don't see him playing a key role next year.
In his last 10 games of the season he shot 9-41 for 22%!!!!!!!
I have seen Derosiers play many times and don't see what all the hype is about..........some are talking that Henton will be coming off the bench which really surprises me - these guys coming in are not better basketball players than Henton
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Fortune is a frosh; he will be fine. Lots of freshman struggle with the speed of the game. He seemed to lose confidence when his shots weren't falling.
Agree about batts; he is vital. Although Ledo is good enough to cover up a lot of warts.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

66, I don't think the A10 is going to lose 2 more teams to the BE. Just one, St Louis, which unless the A10 looks west, won't be that big of a deal. Since it doesn't look like the A10 will add Siena, I'm guessing the BE will take them. Another small Catholic school, but on the rise.

You're right about one thing, though. The A10 MUST do something about the bottom of the conference. It simply doesn't measure up to even the MVC. More like the bottom of the CAA, which is crap.

The thing that's going to be tough, is if the A10 does drop, say the bottom 2 teams, who do they replace them with? Or do they end up with just 10 teams, but fairly solid from top to bottom?

The TV deal is up in the air of course. Same for the Barclay's. If the A10 does nothing from this point, those deals could be in jeopardy. I'm sure McGlade has an idea what's going on, and she'll act if necessary.

One last thing about the Barclay's. If the ACC shows up at their door with the big bucks, the A10 will at some point be left out.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rambone, Siena isn't a good enough program that I would want them for the A10. No way I can see them getting an invite to the Big East.

To the point of this thread, the Big East's real problem is whether they will be able to adapt to life in a mid-tier conference. I actually like what the C7 did and think it was the right move. It was certainly the best case scenario for Providence. For their first TV contract they are going to get paid as if they are the 1986 Big East, too. Which is great for them in the short term, but in the long term they are going to have to recalibrate their operations to reflect their new positions.

The TV deal they got from FOX is so absurdly overpriced for the ROI FOX can expect that someone is going to get fired over it. The league is going to be somewhere between the 6th and 8th best league in the country with no title contenders in its best years, which is totally fine. But paying them like they're high majors for their broadcast rights isn't too bright, and it isn't a mistake that the conference programs can count on happening again. After this deal is up they are going to have to tighten their belts, because there is a market correction coming.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TP, especially since I think the new Fox network will end up being a flop. They won't, or can't, compete with ESPN. As long as they exist, they will play second fiddle to them.

As for Siena, there was some interest from the C7 a while back. Maybe it wasn't serious interest, but I can see that changing down the road a bit, especially if the BE waits 2-3 years before expanding again.
0 x
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

rambone 78 wrote:TP, especially since I think the new Fox network will end up being a flop. They won't, or can't, compete with ESPN. As long as they exist, they will play second fiddle to them.

As for Siena, there was some interest from the C7 a while back. Maybe it wasn't serious interest, but I can see that changing down the road a bit, especially if the BE waits 2-3 years before expanding again.
Fox doesn't do anything half way. Everyone laughed when they said they were going to try and compete with the big three networks. More folks laughed when they decided to take on CNN. They won both those fights by spending money. This sports thing will be sucessful. They have NFL football, Baseball, Big 10 Football and now basketball programming. Don't be surprised if they end up with the rights to the NCAA tournament very soon. They don't care if they lose money up front as long as the long term results are there. So far they've dobe pretty well.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Well, FOX has already tried its hand at sports and it never got off the ground. But even if they do end up being successful, it isn't going to be on the strength of the Big East. My point wasn't really about FOX. I don't think this version of the Big East is going to draw a ton of eyeballs after the novelty of the "new" conference wears off.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I know Fox has tried it's hand through the "Fox Sports" label, but I wouldn't quite qualify that has a real attempt to rival ESPN. It was mostly a local sports station that showed mostly local teams and coverage, outside of the endless marathons of Best Damn Sports Show.

I would say in comparison to CBS and NBC, this has a much greater chance of being successful. Neither of those stations had major contracts in a variety of arenas. Fox wants to add weekly UFC events. They want to show baseball games, and potentially football. They already own most of the rights to a BCS football contract with the PAC, and between the PAC and Big East should be able to get decent basketball programming.

NBC has hockey so it isn't a complete bust (although a hockey draw is probably roughly the same as a random college basketball game on ESPN), but football is driven by the MWC (a below average D1 conference) the IVY and CAA, and basketball I believe is the same. CBS Sports is a complete and utter bust IMHO, and the content is less than desirable. Both of those stations thought they could offer the same to get conferences away from ESPN, and neither wanted to spend. In the end, Fox was and is willing to spend, which will likely make them players to build a real rival to ESPN.

Fox has the best chance to be a direct competitor to ESPN (who have sickened a lot of people recently), as long as they provide fresh coverage not always about LeBron and continue to expand their offerings, but it won't happen overnight, yet I'm sure there will be people comparing the TV ratings of the new BE with ESPN coverage on Day 1 as why it's crap.

Doesn't mean I'm drinking the koolaid on the new network, but I do think it has a chance.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

As much as I despise the Big East I will promise to Watch Fox and the Big East if they promise to NEVER run this worst commercial ever that will be my worse memory of the 2013 NCAA Tournament.
I laughed a ton when I read all the comments about this on youtube - seems like everybody hates it as well as the overpromotion, and they are not so hot on the "here we go" line. Funny stuff. Maybe they knew how bad it would be received and that is part of the marketing effort.

0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Agreed. The chick is hot...dude is a creep. Furthering the myth that chicks look past looks. Only if you are loaded.
0 x