RF1
Ernie Calverley

PC Coach takes PA microphone to thank crowd

Unread post by RF1 »

It was no reach for Cooley to reach out
Jim Donaldson
Providence Journal
03-26-12

And so, moments after his Friars had seized the moment by pulling away down the stretch from an upset-minded Robert Morris team that was coming off a shocking win over Kentucky, Cooley grabbed the public address announcer’s microphone and spoke to the more than 7,000 PC fans celebrating in The Dunk.

“Thank you very much,” he boomed, his voice a bit hoarse from shouting over the crowd noise at his players throughout the game.

Read the entire piece at:
http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... w=ZW50aXR5

Can this really be true? Didn't a certain Friar fan that frequently posts here complain about Baron doing this at the Ryan Center? Didn't this person say it was classless and never done by others? Hmmm.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: PC Coach takes PA microphone to thank crowd

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I seem to remember that, as well, RF1.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm sure we will hear very soon about why it is was so different and very cool this time.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

People said it was stupid for Baron to beg the students to storm the court after winning a game as -5.5 favorites when the game was never in doubt in the final seconds.

Also, I think there is a difference between thanking the fans for a great season at the last game and a relatively meaningless OOC game but who am I.

I would have had no problem with what Baron did though if it wasn't for "students get on the court and celebrate with us" like that had just beaten a Top 10 opponent or won the A10.

The comeback was certainly impressive, but it happened so quick it wasn't like URI stormed back in the last 5 minutes for an improbable victory. I'm pretty sure most of the second half was played within a few possessions. They were down 14 at the half and 3 with 14:54 left. Was far from improbable.

And trust me, I have been very vocal about the abundance of court storming in CBB in general (PC included -- see UCONN 2010), and that URI one was the icing on the cake.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Since I am the poster in question; I'll answer. I used Baron's grabbing the mike as an example of PC being URI's biggest rival. Check the posts.

In general, I dont agree with coaches grabbing the mike after games. That being said, I thought the timing by Cooley was very poignant. The players decided to stand at center coourt and salute the crowd. Cooley addressed the crowd and thanked them for their support and asked them to bring that kind of energy every night next year. Coming after the last home game of the season, on the cusp of a very special year, I had zero problem with it.

Also, some guys have the charisma to pull it off, some guys don't.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Sean, are you seriously questioning the Walrus and charisma that drips from his mustache?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

the best analogy I could think of was Slick Willy and George W delivering the same speech
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

adam914 wrote:I'm sure we will hear very soon about why it is was so different and very cool this time.

You got that right.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Did Cooley beg the students to storm the court?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

RF1 wrote:
adam914 wrote:I'm sure we will hear very soon about why it is was so different and very cool this time.

You got that right.
Raise your hand if you were at both events
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Thank you guys for proving me right.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

seanmc94 wrote:
RF1 wrote:

You got that right.
Raise your hand if you were at both events

Baron did this after several games and not just when PC was involved. I don't think you made it to those games.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Students, I don't care if we were 5.5 favorites or that we dominated the second half! Storm the court!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

easy on the several; it was 5 max and 2-3 were PC games
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

seanmc94 wrote:easy on the several; it was 5 max and 2-3 were PC games

sev·er·al (svr-l, svrl)
adj.
1. Being of a number more than two or three but not many
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

When all else fails, storm the court
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote:
seanmc94 wrote:easy on the several; it was 5 max and 2-3 were PC games

sev·er·al (svr-l, svrl)
adj.
1. Being of a number more than two or three but not many
Right; TWO non PC games
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

actually he did it multiple times a year every year
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Sir Ramalot
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Sir Ramalot »

Here's a fair question for Sean: How many games have you attended at the Ryan Center? I've missed two games since it's opened. And, twisted is correct as Baron did this multiple times per season. Where are you getting five max?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

So was in not stupid for him to encourage students to storm the court as part of the celebration? Real question!
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

First off. Who gives a shit what you 2 guys think.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Apparently you guys since this thread was created in relation to past thoughts by PC fans (and probably more specifically Sean who is a legend around these here parts) about a completely different situation.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

It must be very boring on the PC board for you guys to spend so much time here.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

There is only so much time one can discuss a quarterfinal NIT game. Sometimes you need some controversial topics to break the day up! I mean in reality, it is hard to type K, hit down once, enter, and scroll with a mouse to see what topics are there. Talk about a 30 minute excursion.
0 x
Sir Ramalot
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Sir Ramalot »

I wasn't attempting to justify what Baron did, and certainly not condoning storming the court. I think the point was that Baron grabbed the mic multiple times per season, and not just "5 max and 2-3 were PC games."
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

So am I to understand that immediately after the PC game in question, URI won and Baron went to the microphone and asked the students, who were sitting in their seats, to please storm the court ?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

I don't have a problem with it either way. Coaches are supposed to fire up the players, students and fan base. That along with winning games is what they get paid to do.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Ramulous wrote:So am I to understand that immediately after the PC game in question, URI won and Baron went to the microphone and asked the students, who were sitting in their seats, to please storm the court ?
2009 Game, some kids ran out on the court. Baron got out on the mic and basically thanked everyone for coming out to the game because the Rams needed their support. He then asked for the rest of the students to come out and celebrate with the team because they were a part of the comeback and the usual "we needed you." Obviously some came out, others didn't.

When all was said and done, there were about 100 kids on the court jumping up and down, again celebrating like they one a game against a superior opponent.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

So he invited the students to come out and celebrate with the team and that is construed badly.....I think it was inclusive in this day and age when most college athletes are rock stars and are detached from their fellow students....

....I have no problem with what Baron or Cooley did....I think the main point was that when Baron did it some PC fans thought it was bush league and stated their opinion publicly..and then Cooley goes and does it and it seems it was OK to do so.....some may see a double standard.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

So you really don't think there is a difference between doing it at the end of the season to thank the fans for coming out and supporting the team all season, and doing it after a meaningless game in early December?

I really don't care either way, but I think scenario wise they are still two different things.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

You play 27 or so regular season games....not 162, or 82....no game is meaningless....
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I don't understand who cares about any of this....
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

No game is meaningless? Why don't coaches thank the crowd after every game against Moe, Larry, and Curly in the OOC then?

"Hey guys, without you, we never could have had that fire against Savannah St.! Join us to celebrate!"
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I am sorry....I agree with you and sean.....the pc game is meaningless.....
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I think my point on this is being misconstrued, so I'll dumb it down.

Do I have a problem with coaches addressing the crowd at any point: No.
Do I have a problem with a coach inviting the students to virtually storm the court after a win as the favorite when the outcome at the end was not in doubt: Yes.
Do I think there is a difference in thanking your fans for their support in the last game of the season on March 26th versus the 3rd of 15 regular season home games and 17 total: Yes.

I really don't know why this is an issue, but since Friar fans were called out about their opinion, I don't know why we can't discuss it, but to each their own.

You tell me, does it look like an inferiority complex when you thank your fans so much for their support and energy in a game you should have won? I think there is the difference between celebrating like that if you beat a Top 10 or 15 team, or if you were a heavy dog in general.

That's how it looks from the perspective of a PC fan if you are going to grab the mic after a game in December that you should have won easily, and it's a thing you don't do all the time (and in fact do it very rarely).
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think it can actually be dumbed down much more...

1.) If it happens with PC is it ok: Yes
2.) If it happens with URI is it ok: No
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote:I think it can actually be dumbed down much more...

1.) If it happens with PC is it ok: Yes
2.) If it happens with URI is it ok: No
Has nothing to do with it. I just said I had no problem with it,, my only problem being that he yelled for the students to come on the court.

But I can at least be objective and see why some would see it as an inferiority complex, when you do it a handful of times in X amount of years, most of them being what appears to be wins against the Friars (even when the team was favored in most of those games), because then you guys used to wonder why a lot of Friar fans used to say "It is their Super Bowl," and would get offended by that.

I'm just shooting straight with you guys. URI is not a small-time school and should and is in most years right there with PC to be the best, if not the best, D1 team in this state. Beating PC and grabbing the mic after and yelling for the fans to jump in the fray seems like it is seen as a monumental task, when in reality it wasn't. The difference was being that Baron was seemingly celebrating the win over PC countless times instead of the thanking the fans for a good season. That is the difference between what Cooley did and what Baron was doing.

I'm glad to see you have a coach with big-time aspirations who isn't happy with settling for NIT births and small-time tactics.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

TruePoint wrote:I don't understand who cares about any of this....
+1.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I have no issue with a coach doing this on their homecourt after a big game. I merely posted it because some PC posters have had an issue with the URI coach doing this after home games involving the Friars. I just started this thread to point out that things like this did not just happen at URI. After reading the replies to my initial post, it is apparently an entirely different situation when a Friars coach does this and quite acceptable for it to be done at PC. It however is somehow not acceptable for others to do it.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

It looks small time and inferior to grab the mic after a "big game" when you are the favorite one of the first games of the year. It's severely different than grabbing the mic to thank the crowd for a good season and to see you next year.

However you want to slice it, they are different circumstances.

Once again, very glad you have a real coach who doesn't just pride himself on NIT appearances and beating PC in a OOC game. That was Baron's whole problem, but I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

This is excruciating. Give it up. Who cares.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RAM67 wrote:This is excruciating. Give it up. Who cares.
Apparently some of you guys :D I know why people felt the way they did, just shedding some insight.

Thank goodness for Hurley.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

"Thank goodness for Hurley", "just shedding some insight". This is all bullshit. You are here to aggravate, not shed insight. Just own up to it and you will feel better.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Are you kidding me? I have been nothing but complementary about Danny Hurley (except for maybe some of his sideline antics). He is the exact guy you want running a program that you want to go to the next level, a guy who believes that making it to the NCAA is the goal and anything less is a disappointment. That is a winner's attitude.

To me, it comes down to a Baron issue. You are talking about a guy who thought making the NIT every year was better than nothing and that beating PC was huge for the fan base, and that is why he did what he did, because he thought beating PC was almost a contractual goal that would get him a pass with the fans. I mean you tell me, what other teams did he do this for? If he did it against a St. Bonaventure, maybe a Duquesne, them I'm wrong. Did he only do it against PC, UMASS, and the other "rivals," even if they weren't that great?

Let's be honest, would you have been impressed with Ed Cooley if after beating URI in a game they should have won this year, he stood in front of everybody and told the students to run out on the court and screamed about support? I would have been PISSED if he had done that. It's not an accomplishment to beat a team you should beat. If you would be favored to beat a team on their home court, you shouldn't be happy with that. It should be standard, business as usual, outside of the obvious excitement to not lose to a rival.

I guess our fundamental difference is that some view speaking to the fans after the season is the same as talking to the fans during a OOC in December against a rival (even if it wasn't an upset). Most PC fans view it as the "Super Bowl" effect which is why they felt the way they felt.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

the biggest difference is Baron practically sprinted over to the table to grab the mike. Cooley let RM get of the court, let the players applaud and salute the crowd. He then thanked the crowd fr their support and predicted big things for next year.

Ramulous,
If my team had been smoked in 3 straight by 17+; I'd think the game was meaningless as well.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

What about a coach who turns and wildly fist pumps his supporters late in a meaningless away game, when his team is winning by a large margin? (when he was picked to win)
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RAM67 wrote:What about a coach who turns and wildly fist pumps his supporters late in a meaningless away game, when his team is winning by a large margin? (when he was picked to win)
So you are going to equivalate fist pumping towards a team during a game to telling students to storm the court? So by your logic, anytime a team has greater than a 10 point lead, the coach you stop coaching and being excited for his players? I would completely agree with you if Cooley was not animated 100% of every single game.

I personally think as long as a coach has a consistent coaching style, that is cool with me. I may not particularly like Hurley running up and down the sidelines like a madman, but I can at least respect it because it is consistent because he isn't being a FRAUD like that hack Baron. He doesn't just do it to get a rise, he does it because that is him.

Baron did it because he knew what beating PC meant to the fan base and thought it bought him support, again the old "Super Bowl" theory. It didn't because he couldn't get the job done over the course of a full season. After all, you all hated him because he won in November and December and not January and February. It's funny that you go and support him now because you think it's a PC/URI issue, when it really isn't.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I never compared anything.

The question was. What do you think of a coach who wildly fist pumps a few fans at an away game when the outcome was allready decided. The case in point, was after a breakaway dunk in the last minute of a game, in an opponents gym.

As to your question, I believe a coach needs to coach right up until the end of the game, and should be happy for his players after a win. No problem with that. And no problem with the player making the pump.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RAM67 wrote: The question was. What do you think of a coach who wildly fist pumps a few fans at an away game when the outcome was allready decided. The case in point, was after a breakaway dunk in the last minute of a game, in an opponents gym.
No, and the only reason being is I think it's part of his "style." Cooley will fist pump and yell and scream from start to finish of every game. He is an overly animated guy, that's his thing, whether playing NJIT, URI, DePaul, or Syracuse. He doesn't just do that stuff because he is getting a nice road win. He doesn't just do it because he beat a ranked team. He does it because that's his way to convey energy and excitement to his troops on a consistent basis.

But honestly, I can see why it would piss people off and rub them the wrong way, even his comments after the game about the DDC. He is an animated, entertaining character, that's his thing, but if you aren't used to it, would it turn you off? Hell yes it would.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

I have seen Cooley in action many times over the years, and I relize he is excitable, but there was no "style" in that reaction or his comments. Rude and classless, where I expected more from him. After that, and a couple of other incidents, my view of him has changed.

By the way, you don't like Hurley's sideline antics, but Cooley has "style".
0 x