PC Coach takes PA microphone to thank crowd

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Re: PC Coach takes PA microphone to thank crowd

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I'm saying both coaches have their unique style. I don't particularly like Hurley's running up and down the sideline, but that is his thing and I respect that. I also understand other fans won't like Cooley running out to midcourt chest bumping players and fistpumping, that is his style as well. Usually fans of opposite teams don't particularly like the other, but hey, that's sports.

When they don't have a unique style and try to pull it off, it makes them a fraud. I would say Hurley and Cooley do their thing consistently 150% of the way and it's cool. Baron on the other hand, fraud. If you do something for bonus points, it's not you and it makes you a fake. Keno did the same thing. People told him he had to get more fired up, and it made him look like a baby deer. FRAUD! Why defend them?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RAM67 wrote:What about a coach who turns and wildly fist pumps his supporters late in a meaningless away game, when his team is winning by a large margin? (when he was picked to win)

It all depends as there are different sets of standards according to some people. It if was a PC coach, the circumstances dictated it, it was ok. and it was very poignant. If it was a URI coach, it is never ok under any circumstance.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RAM67 wrote:I never compared anything.

The question was. What do you think of a coach who wildly fist pumps a few fans at an away game when the outcome was allready decided. The case in point, was after a breakaway dunk in the last minute of a game, in an opponents gym.

As to your question, I believe a coach needs to coach right up until the end of the game, and should be happy for his players after a win. No problem with that. And no problem with the player making the pump.

You apparently don't get it according to PC fans. Cooley should not even had been at the Ryan Center as he has said the game versus URI should always be played at the DDC. PC should only play at the Ryan Center if the DDC is unavailable and it should only be for a game with an opponent not named URI. It was ok for an exhibition game several years ago and would have been acceptable for the NIT game versus Robert Morris if the NIT wanted it played on Sunday.

Hypocrisy certainly abounds!
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

It's funny that nearly everyone in the room took Cooley's comments in jest...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:It's funny that nearly everyone in the room took Cooley's comments in jest...
Given Cooley's knowledge of the rivalry having grown up here and coached on both sides, he should have known that Rhody fans would not be amused by such comments. With some in the PC community, including its radio play by play guy Rooke, already publicly taking such a stance, a sensitive topic like that would have best been avoided.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

RF1 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:It's funny that nearly everyone in the room took Cooley's comments in jest...
Given Cooley's knowledge of the rivalry having grown up here and coached on both sides, he should have known that Rhody fans would not be amused by such comments. With some in the PC community, including its radio play by play guy Rooke, already publicly taking such a stance, a sensitive topic like that would have best been avoided.
You are right, but in the end, it still was a harmless comment.

I don't think he cares about it, winning brings back more fans than a little jab about location.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Cooley was obviously serious. He has been very vocal in teh press about it since then. It's getting ridiculous, the way he crow bars the subject into every interview
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'd always liked Cooley, and the guy can definitely coach and recruit. Not all that impressed with his personality as I become more familiar with him, though. He's like a real-life troll. He approaches being obnoxious with a laser-like focus. Kind of a weird way to be.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Examples?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

If Ed Cooley has one problem, it's the fact that he can be outspoken with the media. He talks to the media like he would talk to the team or to the fans. The fact is, if you aren't familiar with his "style" he can 100% come off like a jerk. He tries to be open and sarcastic and witty, but if a fan of a team catches a quote out of context, he can definitely seem like a real clown.

Case and point: The LaDontae Henton situation after Brown. Kid scores 37 points but plays no defense. Team loses. Cooley makes comments to the media after the game saying stuff like "He couldn't defend an ant tonight" and people got all bent out of shape about how he shouldn't call his team out in the media.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

RJ, were you addressing Sean's request? You are not toeing the party line if you did....don't you know that you and he are on a quixotic quest to enlighten us hating URI fans on the intrinsic beauty of pc ?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Big swing and a miss by ramulous.
Doug gottleib-esque whiff at wit and humor
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

This is not your call, Sean....you are too close to the forest.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Ramulous wrote:RJ, were you addressing Sean's request? You are not toeing the party line if you did....don't you know that you and he are on a quixotic quest to enlighten us hating URI fans on the intrinsic beauty of pc ?
Every coach has good and bad qualities. That is one of Cooley's bad qualities, and he has been hammered on it several times by the media.

It was more of a general statement in replies to some of the thoughts on here.

I would like to hope you could view some of Hurley's sideline antics as a "bad" quality, something you can see why opposing fans would dislike even though you might be able to enjoy and appreciate the energy.

A good fan can at least be objective on things. If you can't you are just a homer.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: I would like to hope you could view some of Hurley's sideline antics as a "bad" quality, something you can see why opposing fans would dislike even though you might be able to enjoy and appreciate the energy.

A good fan can at least be objective on things. If you can't you are just a homer.
This is one thing I do agree with you on. Although I dont see it as good/bad, and I dont think you do either judging by your bad in quotes...but its just more a matter of personal taste most likely. It also has alot to do with being around the team more. If you're a diehard fan and you see the way the coach acts game in and game out you can appreciate it. If you're an opposing fan or someone who just catches a game a couple times a year you can see it and think what the hell is wrong with this guy. And that goes for any coaches, not just Hurley or Cooley.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I feel that Dan Hurley crosses over the line of acceptable sideline behavior during many games.....it is the one thing I would like to change about his coaching persona....
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Dan has promised that he was more over the top due to the personnel challenges his was faced with this past season. He is confident that he may even have his own seat on the bench as early as next season.

He wasn't as demonstrative at Wagner as he was in his first season here, although he was certainly "active".
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

The thing about Dan, is his excitement pertains to the game and the players, not in a taunting way towards the fans, or the other team.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

So the stories from Fordham were fabricated?

And lets be clear, I don't even care that he did that, but don't act like your coach is a saint and Cooley is this spawn of Satan.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Stories that Dan "went after" Pecora? Yes, that was fabricated. He, if anything, gestured towards the officials who were at the opposite end of the court after a fairly horrible call.

I was there and also DVR'd the game and watched it to specifically monitor Dan's reactions following that fabricated report.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:So the stories from Fordham were fabricated?

And lets be clear, I don't even care that he did that, but don't act like your coach is a saint and Cooley is this spawn of Satan.
Without a doubt was fabricated. The only person that mentioned it was a Fordham fan/blogger. Pretty sure if a D1 coach with the last name Hurley "went after" another coach it would have made some news somewhere.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

I believe you ATP. I think that is who Hurley is, and why change him? Everything I've said about him I feel 100% strongly about. He is the type of guy you want running your program. That doesn't mean he will be successful, but his goal every year will be to make the NCAA Tournament and win the A-10, and that is a winning mentality.

It doesn't make the way he does things saintly though, every coach has different things they do that will rub someone somewhere the wrong way. If they are a perfect saint on the sideline, they are probably going to be fired.

Personally, I just think it comes down to consistency, otherwise to me you are a fraud, doing things for brownie points and not because you care.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Can we end this on a high note and agree that we're ALL GRATEFUL FOR OUR CURRENT HEAD COACHES?!

Please let me lock this thread up.....
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

disagree,
if people do not like a thread then they can choose to ignore the thread
even threads that are foolish and stupid should be left open - it's called free speech.
Some of the stupidists threads that I hvae ever read have been on this board and have been the source of some of my greatest laughs - I would neven have wanted them locked.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

IMHO,

Both coaches have the "Rodney Harrison" effect. Hate the guy if he's your rival; buy his jersey if he's on your team
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

seanmc94 wrote:IMHO,

Both coaches have the "Rodney Harrison" effect. Hate the guy if he's your rival; buy his jersey if he's on your team
Yep, I think thats probably pretty fair.
0 x