College Football

For any college sports discussion not based in Kingston
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

College Football

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Even though it's really nothing-but-basketball season...it still doesn't suck when Saban loses. just sayin....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: College Football

UNH at South Dak St. today at 3 for a spot in the semis. Go Wildcats!!!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:UNH at South Dak St. today at 3 for a spot in the semis. Go Wildcats!!!
um...yeah...n-n-never mind....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Good luck today to former Ram, Pat Narduzzi as the Panthers take on Clemson in Charlotte today.
I have no idea who Pitt played (too lazy to look it up) but 6-2 this year and 20-12 since '15 in the ACC seems pretty decent.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 5 years ago Good luck today to former Ram, Pat Narduzzi as the Panthers take on Clemson in Charlotte today.
I have no idea who Pitt played (too lazy to look it up) but 6-2 this year and 20-12 since '15 in the ACC seems pretty decent.
It’s amazing what a higher plane Alabama and Clemson play at.
Alabama is favored by 12 today over Georgia
Clemson is favored by a whopping 27.5 over Pitt and Pitt won the other ACC division
Either Alabama or Clemson losing today would be pretty amazing
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If Alabama loses today it is an SEC conspiracy to get 2 teams into the CFP, and with independent Notre Dame all but guaranteed a spot, that would leave the Big 10, Big 12 and Pac 12 all on the outside looking in. If 3 of the 5 “P5” programs are left out along with a UCF team that hasn’t lost in 2 years, you can bet all your money on the CFP being expanded from 4 to 8 teams in the near term, which actually would be a great result from a crummy situation.

As a side note, Notre Dame is loosely affiliated with the ACC, where it’s other sports programs play. Roughly half of its schedule is comprised of ACC opponents which cycle thru with home and away games similar to how conference teams do it. If the SEC is easily considered the best football conference, the ACC is widely considered the weakest of the P5 conferences, but would have two “members” in the four team playoff, same as the SEC - even with their two traditional lead programs (Miami and Florida State) both down.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Georgia is one of the best four teams even though they probably won't make the field. It would be great if the field was expanded.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It should absolutely be an eight team playoff, no more, no less. The power 5 champions are automatic qualifiers. The only question is do you guarantee a spot for the best non power 5 team and have two at large selections or do you have 3 at large selections with no consideration for conference affiliation
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

It should be 5 plus one from non-power-5 (which would probably be ND this year anyway) plus two at-large. How good would that be?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

16 teams.....each conference champion and 5 at larges
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Great news out of Columbus, OH, where college football has once again disgorged itself of its most malignant human disease with the resignation of Urban Meyer at Ohio State.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

You just made my morning!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Ryan Day, UNH quarterback from 98-01 and tight ends coach in 2002, will be the next coach
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago It should absolutely be an eight team playoff, no more, no less. The power 5 champions are automatic qualifiers. The only question is do you guarantee a spot for the best non power 5 team and have two at large selections or do you have 3 at large selections with no consideration for conference affiliation
I agree. People who want 16 are crazy. Small is good. 8 works.
I tend agree with those who say it should be the 5 conference champions plus Group of 6 "champion."
This year you would get the following playoff matchups:
1) Alabama vs 8) Washington
2) Clemson vs 7) UCF
3) Notre Dame vs 6) Ohio St
4) Oklahoma vs 5) Georgia
1 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Maybe this is the cynical sports fan in me, but I do find it odd that Meyer is retiring at 54. Is he trying to get out in front of something at Ohio State?

Just seems odd, even after his Florida resignation and the health issues he’s supposedly been having.

Edit: I wouldn’t be surprised if Zach Smith, whose Twitter rants have become increasingly unhinged is spilling all the goods behind the scene to Ohio State.

...or a more fun theory - Urban is going to be the next coach of the Packers.
Last edited by STC 5 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Well the health issues and chest pains he had before that caused him to resign at Florida were due to his wife catching him banging co-eds. He's a scumbag through and through, so I'm assuming he's retiring for something other than health
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

FCS does 16.....no screaming there....

And who declares which of the "untouchable" conference champion gets in?

The P5 wants to protect the P5
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I also am hoping for the 8 team playoff and think it would be great . 4 is too small and 16 too many

Make it happen NCAA
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It would have been good if the NCAA could have picked the best 4 teams
Oklahoma never gave up and played National Champ Alabama tough
Notre Dame on the other hand gave up and did not look like a #3 seed. Georgia or Ohio State would have been better choices to be in the 4 Teams playing for the National Championship. Clemson is good but they got a break playing Notre Dame.
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

The big problem with these games is teams have a 3 or 4 week layoff. When did the top 4 last play? First week of December? No matter how good you are, that's a lot of rust to shake off. In another bowl game, Michigan (#7) was destroyed by Florida (#10). Do you think that happens with a 4 week layoff? These games *should* be closer. I think they need to expand to 8 playoff teams, and end the season a week or two later so that there isn't so long of a layoff.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

But if everyone has the same layoff, everyone is dealing with the same things. Oklahoma and Alabama were both off from their conference championship games on 12/1 to the Orange Bowl on 12/29. Yes, Notre Dame had to deal with an extra week off than Clemson, but the bigger issue for Notre Dame is they just can't compete with the truly elite football schools and people overrate them on name
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

All 4 teams had a similar amount of time off. Notre Dame just did not belong ahead of Georgia or Ohio State having nothing to do with a layoff of 1 hour, 1 day, 1 week or 1 month.
NCAA just blew it
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

I think both are true. They definitely blew the ND pick, but 3 or 4 weeks off can lead to some unnecessary rust.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Sure it can lead to unnecessary rust, but equally for all 4 teams.
You also have Final ExamS to deal with. Would not want teams playing then, would you?

Notre Dame is full of excuses. Plain and simple they were way overrated.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just make it 8 teams and you have less questions . The 5th and 6th teams like Ohio St and UGA have legit beefs .
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The same inefficiencies that exist for picking the top 4 will exist Picking the Top 8. They will not pick the 7th snd 8th teams correctly

But to be honest it’s Alabama then Clemson then all the rest. Those two schools are on s plane by themselves so it doesn’t really matter if there are 4, 8, 16 or 32 until one or both of those programs falter.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Ramster, all true, but the games need to be played. Ohio St, Georgia, and Central FL deserved a chance. Notre Dame will always get the nod if they are close, for the obvious reason: TV ratings, which BTW are down.

IMO they really need to figure out a standard schedule too. They should play the semifinals on New Year's day every year. That's the traditional day people expect to watch college football.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

1. They should have eight teams in the playoff. They should have the conference champion from the P5 conferences, one Group of 5 school (this year UCF), and two at-large spots.

2. It is too bad that Notre Dame played terribly against Clemson, but I think it is a lazy and tired narrative that “they just can’t compete” and that they didn’t deserve to be in the playoff based on the result of the game. They played a very good schedule, even with the two Pac12 traditional powers that they play being down this year (which is not their fault). They went through that schedule unblemished, unlike teams like OSU, Washington and Georgia. OSU and Washington lost to teams much worse than teams that ND beat. Georgia had their playoff opportunity against Bama in the SEC title game. UCF played the 74th hardest schedule compared to the 12th hardest schedule that ND played. Notre Dame was just better than those teams this year and were seeded exactly where they should have been. Unfortunately for them they played their worst game of the season (whether it was lay-off or happenstance or whatever) in a game where they were already fighting above their weight, so they really don’t have anyone to blame but themselves for the dumb takes that they didn’t belong in the first place - that doesn’t make the takes any less dumb, though.

3. Alabama and Clemson are just on a different level than all of the other teams. The fact that Notre Dame got blown out by Clemson doesn’t change the fact that whatever team got put in that game against Clemson would have had their asses handed to them.
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

TP another ND apologist. Please they would have no prayer against Georgia which has basically choked away the last two Bama games. They’d be lucky to play .500 ball in the SEC. That all being said they were undefeated and deserved their shot. BTW not every opinion that differs from yours is stupid or dumb.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Last year, a worse ND team played a better UGA team, led most of the game including with less than 4 minutes to go, and lost by one point. So I’m not sure about “no prayer.”

Not every opinion that is different than mine is dumb or stupid, but some are.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not true. Last year, Norte Dame was favored over Georgia on their home field by 5.5 points and lost the game by 1 point. The Georgia victory was an upset.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Georgia played for the national championship last year. The fact that Vegas didn’t realize how good they were at the time of the game does not make what I said untrue: last year’s UGA team was better than this year’s, last year’s ND team was not as good as this year’s. So saying ND would have no prayer if they were to nave played this year is just factually inaccurate.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I say 16 teams.....every conference champion gets in

I'm selfish as I think this will cause less conference jumping if all football schools have a chance to make the tournament...no need to move
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago I say 16 teams.....every conference champion gets in

I'm selfish as I think this will cause less conference jumping if all football schools have a chance to make the tournament...no need to move
Conference jumping has more to do with the $$ which leads to stability. As long as the top football conferences can keep printing money, they will always be a desired destination. Also, no one cares about watching the Sun Belt Champion/MAC/Conference USA champion playing Alabama as 40 point underdogs. That’s not going to prevent teams from moving around.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

I think an eight team playoff would be enough. Would certainly eliminate the ND/Georgia/Ohio St type argument and would include all teams with legitimate championship claims.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think 16 teams is a bit too many. 8 seems just about right and more feasible with regards to timing as they still can have the championship in early January
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

You can’t blame Vegas for making Norte Dame a 5.5 point favorite on their home field. Their are many betting houses that set the point spread, and even once the point spread is set then it changes based on what the betting public bets. So the money bet on Norte Dame and the money bet on Georgia becomes equally spread so that the betting houses make their money on the juice. It has always and will always be that way.

Looking at and saying that the 5.5 point spread that favored Norte Dame was wrong is just Monday morning quarterbacking, even if the QB of Notre Dame had been injured 2 days prior to the game the point spread would have moved based on the betting public putting more money on Georgia.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

For all of you who are wanting the Playoffs expanded from 4 teams to 8 (some even to 16 teams), please read this article and see if you still feel the same way........

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... e-blowouts
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

The argument doesn't hold weight. There's a huge difference in playing in a playoff for the national championship and playing in a bowl game that's really just an exhibition game
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

rjsuperfly66 wrote: 5 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago I say 16 teams.....every conference champion gets in

Conference jumping has more to do with the $$ which leads to stability. As long as the top football conferences can keep printing money, they will always be a desired destination. Also, no one cares about watching the Sun Belt Champion/MAC/Conference USA champion playing Alabama as 40 point underdogs. That’s not going to prevent teams from moving around.
One of the big reasons why expansions happened earlier was that the NCAA previously didn't allow conferences to hold a football championship game if there were less than 12 teams in the league. I feel if that were allowed at the time, some of the expansion, movement wouldn't have happened. Now the horse is out of the barn.
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Hook Em Horns, satisfying win for Texas against the big bad dogs who were crying for not getting into the playoffs. CFB postseason is screwed up anyways. UCF is a perfect breach to the system. Undefeated last season, no playoff invite, then defeat Auburn in the Peach Bowl. The same story this season with no invite, but losing their starting QB at the end of the season is almost impossible to recover from and still almost win vs LSU. Complete injustice.
0 x
GO RAMS
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 5 years ago You can’t blame Vegas for making Norte Dame a 5.5 point favorite on their home field. Their are many betting houses that set the point spread, and even once the point spread is set then it changes based on what the betting public bets. So the money bet on Norte Dame and the money bet on Georgia becomes equally spread so that the betting houses make their money on the juice. It has always and will always be that way.

Looking at and saying that the 5.5 point spread that favored Norte Dame was wrong is just Monday morning quarterbacking, even if the QB of Notre Dame had been injured 2 days prior to the game the point spread would have moved based on the betting public putting more money on Georgia.
The point spread has absolutely nothing to do with my point. It turned out that Georgia was the second best team in the country last year, and Notre Dame played them to the wire, led the game inside 4 minutes and had the ball with a chance to win at the end. So regardless of what the point spread was, it is obvious that ND had a “prayer” of beating them - which was the point I was responding to. If they had a prayer of beating them last year when Georgia was better than they were this year and Notre Dame was not as good as this year, then they’d have had a “prayer” of beating them this year, too. If they played better, they’d have had a prayer of beating Clemson, as well, even though Clemson is clearly the better team. This season, Notre Dame had as good of a chance to beat a Clemson or Alabama as anyone in the country - the fact that they played poorly and got blown out doesn’t change that.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bottom line is the two best teams, by far, are again playing for the National Championship this Monday night.
Thankful that the NCAA put in the 4 team playoff methodology because before that the top 2 playing one another was far from a given and huge arguements took place

Monday night will be another war.
1 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

No one complains about the 16 team FCS tournament.....
1 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

16 teams is truly unnecessary. 8 tops. I’d even be ok with 6. In today’s college football, less is more.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago No one complains about the 16 team FCS tournament.....
Because no one really cares...

I'd say the FCS regular season is relatively irrelevant when looking at the FBS regular season and I way prefer how it is in FBS
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am a proponent for 8 teams , Georgia is a classic example they came out and layed an egg against a team they should have beaten. UGA came out unmotivated and if they were in a playoff they probably have a different mindset
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 years ago
Ramulous wrote: 5 years ago No one complains about the 16 team FCS tournament.....
Because no one really cares...

I'd say the FCS regular season is relatively irrelevant when looking at the FBS regular season and I way prefer how it is in FBS
Very true.
16 teams makes the regular season games less important. CAA is a good example of that
FBS Football is very successful so need to be careful when it comes to making conference wins less critical
As long as the Top 2,3 or 4 teams are getting their shot at the championship trophy and the best team in the country has a shot at the title then that’s fair plus keep the in-season games very important

Don’t be like the NFL or NBA where so many teams make the playoffs
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

ramster wrote: 5 years ago For all of you who are wanting the Playoffs expanded from 4 teams to 8 (some even to 16 teams), please read this article and see if you still feel the same way........

Ramster, couldn't one make a similar argument to reduce the NCAA basketball tourney to 32 teams or less?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

UCH21377 wrote: 5 years ago
ramster wrote: 5 years ago For all of you who are wanting the Playoffs expanded from 4 teams to 8 (some even to 16 teams), please read this article and see if you still feel the same way........

Ramster, couldn't one make a similar argument to reduce the NCAA basketball tourney to 32 teams or less?
The problem is that in basketball, anyone can lose on any day. The same can’t be said for football. Alabama will be a double-digit neutral field favorite over every team in the country except Clemson, and Clemson would be a double-digit favorite over all except Ohio St. In basketball, Duke could face roughly 12 different opponents and still be a single-digit favorite on a neutral court. Gonzaga is Sagarins 2nd Best team and per his metric, they would be single-digit favorites over the next 32 teams. It’s just more competitive. If Alabama played UCF as an 8 seed, they would have opened as 17 point favorites on the low end, probably closer to 20.
0 x