URI Endowment 2012 Returns

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

URI Endowment 2012 Returns

Unread post by OBRAM »

I just read in the Foundation Annual report that the URI Endowment lost -3.3% from 7/1/2011 - 6/30/2012. In that same period of time the overall stock market etf VTI was up 4% with at least a 1% dividend. That means the market went up 5% and URI endowment lost -3.3%. It says URI Endowment managers do inflation and deflation , but I would say that that is not a good return when you do not keep pace with the overall market.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: URI Endowment 2012 Returns

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

That is puzzling, but I'm no financial analyst. Maybe there's a reason. But -3.3% is a lot.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I was reading the national report for colleges and universities, and I would guess most were up +5-+12% for that period.
I think, the use of the endowment is discretionary, and their net cash flow may have been down, while the investment returns may have been up. I am not sure what URI does with the endowment, but many schools will use it to fund out of operating budget projects. For example, could some funds been used to balance the AD budget? I have no idea, just asking.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Must have taken the Moheda market timing course
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I believe the -3.3% is the return on the investments regardless of money flowing out of the fund to pay for something.
0 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

this is rhode island......what do you expect
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

My guess is that anyone in Rhode Island could have invested better, but some of the Endowments money was put into some Inflation/deflation hedge type funds that are managed outside of RI. I have very limited info, only what was in the Annual Report.
0 x