Proposed Meade Stadium Upgrade from a few years back

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Proposed Meade Stadium Upgrade from a few years back

Unread post by RF1 »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Proposed Meade Stadium Upgrade from a few years back

Unread post by RF1 »

I thought it was worth keeping OBRAM's rendering of the proposed upgrade to Meade from several years back. It gives everyone an image of what could be.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Agreed. It's fun to dream.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I believe politics plays a big part in any football improvements, or for that matter any athletic facility improvements. URI is hated by Projo and the media, every move URI takes is scrutinized by the press even though URI only gets 7% of its budget from the state. URI even got bad press when they had to fix the East Stands two years ago that were a hazard. Does any one in charge at URI want to be subjected to the wrath of the media?
If the Ryan Center was not built in 2000, it would never have been built, plus we had a URI Grad governor, the stock market was booming, the stars were aligned, for the once in 50 year astrological event, and still we only got 1/3 of the money from for the Ryan Center from the State, the rest of the money is from private sources.
The Ryan Center would not be built today.
Projo has come out against the Bond that was suppose to be use to help build the Student Athletic Center, but the Bond for $13 million for Rhode Island College Rec Center, that is fabulous, never gets a mention in the newspaper, 100% state money. Projo was a big supporter of the Dunk, a project that cost the state about $10 million each and every year for 25-30 years and there is no mention on TV or newsprint about this Dunk shenanigans. 100% state money Try writing a Letter to the Editor about the Dunk, the politics of the Dunk, the Cost overruns, voters never approved a bond, and how little PC pays in rent and Projo never posts the letter. Write a letter to this governor or the past governor and you never get a reply. The media just want the facts of the Dunk to fade in the memory of the Rhode Island electorate, it is such a corrupt RI story.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Would it have any effect on The Providence Journal if it was lobbied to every URI alumni, employee and friend, to never buy that paper again?

They have been totally self serving, trying "to stir the pot", on all things URI. Most city papers try to affiliate with their institutions of higher education for the mutual benefit of that University and the community. The Journal is so biased against the University, that I have given up my subscription.
Last edited by CTRamfan 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

i dont even look at the projo anymore. i actually like golocalprov at least they cover uri
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Funny, I just went back to the old forum to see if I could still check out this picture, then came on here and just it for the first time. Good work.
0 x
Go Rhody
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

Damn that looks awesome. I know we don't have anything resembling a program now but a lot starts with facilities. With a place like that we would attract more players, coaches, and most importantly paying fans.

And that definitely looks like a place I would be proud to say was part of my university.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

We know what the problems are with football. We used to just blame the coach, but it is facilities, recruiting, hiring all the coaching staff you need, and administrative support, at least on a par with UNH and Maine.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I agree that you need all those things. But you mainly need money. I doubt URI gets much from alumni for football.
The "stadium" stinks. It's not only unattractive and outdated but it's also close to dangerous But the state isn't about to fund a new one and voters aren't going to approve a bond issue for facility most have never been to and most have no interest it, especially in the current economy.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

The 5th Quarter club raises lots of money for football. I would say that they may raise more money for football then for any other sport, if you don't count the donation for the new baseball field.
0 x
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

Its amazing to me that anyone still goes to URI football games!
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Well, the attendance at football games per game average maybe higher than last years basketball average. Imagine if the football team had a consistent winning record.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Football is very fun when the team is decent and winning/competing well. It's a great event when you roll in the tailgating aspect, food, meeting old friends, etc.

Just need a good on-field product!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

When was the last time was program won and was fun? Early on with Stowers? This program has been dying for years. Last time I went to a game, the only students were a few selling concessions.
0 x