PSU

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

PSU

Unread post by Surfri72 »

Rumor has it we are playing at Penn State next season.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: PSU

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I have heard that a few months back too.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

After the penalties and lawsuits, Penn State still has money for buy games?
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

they have plenty of money. they need a fill game since the game they had scheduled with uva is being postponed. if its true i suggest everyone try and get down to state college just to experience the atmosphere there.
0 x
EricRueb
Abdul Fox

Unread post by EricRueb »

Rumor came from a couple Twittering players. URI, PSU haven't confirmed anything.

http://ricentral.com/content/players-tw ... state-2013
0 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

its being discussed on both the scout and rivals psu sites which leads me to believe there is something to it.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

I imagine this would be a bigger check than the one we received from bowling green this year...
0 x
Clapton is God
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

A Big check to keep the football on life support financially....
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Rumor is it's $300,000.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Rumor is it's $300,000.
That would be a real nice payday. I've said it before and I'll say it again if were going to go 0-10 every year we might as well whore the program out to BCS schools for a nice payday.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

i think the Projo reads this board....

http://news.providencejournal.com/sport ... ttled.html
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
EricRueb
Abdul Fox

Unread post by EricRueb »

Now, on a much lower level, I know how Jay Glazer feels when he reads ESPN stories that say "Sources indicate."
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Is $300k big for FCS/CAA standards?
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Florida State played a FCS school this year and gave them $500,000
0 x
Clapton is God
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Total dream here, but I would love to see Rhody play Oregon or Alabama.

Oregon could drop 100 on URI... if they wanted to.

Forget scoring on Alabama, would we even cross the 50 yard line?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Forget the 50 yard line....we couldn't even make it off the bus....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ncram
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by ncram »

URI will not play Penn State in 2013.

http://news.providencejournal.com/sport ... -2013.html
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

twisted3829 wrote:i think the Projo reads this board....

http://news.providencejournal.com/sport ... ttled.html
To be fair, I first heard this rumor Friday, at the Brown game, and a bunch of reporters were there. So, it was kind of floating in the ether, and from there, it was just a matter of trying to confirm or disprove it in some way.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

Well it looks like we won't go 0-11 next year...
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/ ... 011435g52p

Who needs a $300,000-$500,000 payday vs Penn State! We have Central Conn & ODU!!! This school does nothing to better the program and never has. As a 20+yr supporter, it is time for the school to really figure out if it's all in or all out bc the half ass way they've been going about it is an embarrassment! There really isn't one team, men or women's that has improved under Bjorn!!!!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

This is another side effect of the tease in dropping down to the NEC. These big payday games vs big time FBS/BCS teams are scheduled years in advance, with few exceptions. We probably missed a chance to sign up for a thorough beating to the tune of $300,000.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

We get back to having a payday in '14 against Boston College.

But keep in mind, ODU is now FBS, so even though the team probably isn't getting 300-500k, it's still getting a guarantee.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

GansettRam74 wrote:http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/ ... 011435g52p

Who needs a $300,000-$500,000 payday vs Penn State! We have Central Conn & ODU!!! This school does nothing to better the program and never has. As a 20+yr supporter, it is time for the school to really figure out if it's all in or all out bc the half ass way they've been going about it is an embarrassment! There really isn't one team, men or women's that has improved under Bjorn!!!!
Baseball.
0 x
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Baseball.[/quote]

Not even baseball! Coach Leone had the program riding high and now Coach Foster has done a great job maintaining it. They aren't any better since Thor got here. They have been the most successful and most consistent winners but things were already in place. The football conference debacle has left a bad taste in my mouth about his ability as a leader. Granted the football program has been a doormat for much of it's existence but it really was headed in the right direction a few years ago after Rizzi left and Coach Trainor was hired. Now there is no money for the additional scholarships needed to get back up to the 65. It's going to take at least 5 years to get the money for those scholarships. Then add in the lower level kids they've recruited the last couple of years. It set this program back big time! That money from a big time FBS game would have helped greatly! Rather lose 55-7 to PSU and get $300-500k than play ODU and CSU, lose and get squat! Oh well. Definitely more to life than URI sports!
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Well, money, that't the problem. I think the Athletic Budget has been drastically cut in the last 5+ years.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

My tennis partner yesterday was a now retired, longtime employee in the marketing department of a sports network. I asked him "what makes a conference or school attractive to a network?"

The answer[paraphrasing] - The product and atmosphere has to be exciting. For football contracts it is about the marques matchups. Generally schools with large endowments can have consistency in their programs. Conferences with schools with big endowments can almost guarantee the consistency to make a long term, big dollar contract, viable for its duration. Even New England's two state schools who play FBS football, both of which have endowments of over a half billlion dollars, are marginal in big time collage football. [URI at ninety eight million is even small for FCS football programs. The alumni have not supported the school the way that alumni do at similiar institutions].........For basketball, it is all about atmosphere. Networks do not like to show games with half empty arenas, and without a big game atmosphere. A10 marques match-ups are good sports TV, but most A10 programs do not fill their already smaller arenas. Not what the sports networks want for prime-time, long term contracts.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I'd challenge the comment about not wanting to show half-full arenas, because remember what all those pre-conf season tournaments in November and December look like...

Almost ALL of them, even the marquee tournaments like Maui or elsewhere, have empty arenas. Yet we are always told how these are "made-for-TV" tournaments. There's a reason why there are so many pre-season tournaments/classics with low-end schools on TV... it pays. TV networks get presenting sponsors which make televising basketball (fairly inexpensive endeavor as live sports go) worthwhile to 24hr sports networks like ESPN.

With CBS and NBC now having their own 24hr sports networks, wouldn't you expect even more of these low-end tournaments? It's like all the garbage bowls in the FBS system.

I would think that even if Rhody ends up in a weakened A10 (which seems inevitable), they should be on national TV more starting next season, which gives them better exposure at a time when Hurley will have them playing exciting, attractive, winning basketball.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

I rambled, sorry - the discussion was about awarding prime time, long term contracts.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Right, but I still think they clearly prefer to have a great atmosphere in every televised game, but so often you don't have that in conf or out, yet TV execs still pay.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

My question regarding basketball conferences specifically had to do with the C7's opportunities, versus an A10 as is, or diminished.

The C7, will still have viewer appeal, maybe not nationally, but regionally.

An A10 as it currently exists has many marques regional match-ups. But, a contract would not be written to share the exposure equally between all teams, because of the weaker programs.[hypothetically]

An A10 without the current top 5, has limited appeal. A major sports network would probably not write a lomg term, prime time contract with this group......We had a good deal with FOX for years, with "the game of the week" on Saturdays and Sundays at noon or 2p.m. on a regional basis. Nothing that good since in my opinion.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

GansettRam74 wrote: Not even baseball! Coach Leone had the program riding high and now Coach Foster has done a great job maintaining it. They aren't any better since Thor got here. They have been the most successful and most consistent winners but things were already in place. The football conference debacle has left a bad taste in my mouth about his ability as a leader. Granted the football program has been a doormat for much of it's existence but it really was headed in the right direction a few years ago after Rizzi left and Coach Trainor was hired. Now there is no money for the additional scholarships needed to get back up to the 65. It's going to take at least 5 years to get the money for those scholarships. Then add in the lower level kids they've recruited the last couple of years. It set this program back big time! That money from a big time FBS game would have helped greatly! Rather lose 55-7 to PSU and get $300-500k than play ODU and CSU, lose and get squat! Oh well. Definitely more to life than URI sports!
I would say baseball...consistantly playing ranked teams (and beating them from time to time), winning the most games in school's history (using Foster's guys) and having their first pre-season AA in the programs history all came on Thorr's watch. It's not like track where the team has been essentially successfully running in place for the last decade.

But the school's budget and the athletic budget have been shredded. Thorr went from being able to add a sport, and do some infrastructure improvements to having to cut back on support staff and killing three sports in like...2 months. I am not making the argument he's done a good or a bad job since he was hired, but he's had a crappy hand dealt to him, and hyperbole doesn't serve the discussion very well.

Plus, one sport measurably improving in the last 5 years is pretty damning with faint praise, no?

Also, I would guess Old Dominion is giving us 200k or thereabouts. Next year, we play Boston College for or normal 300k-500k payment. As an aside, I wouldn't be surprised if ODU's season ticket base (which was about 17k people when they started their program) rivaled BC's at this point.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

CTRamfan wrote: Even New England's two state schools who play FBS football, both of which have endowments of over a half billlion dollars, are marginal in big time collage football. [URI at ninety eight million is even small for FCS football programs. The alumni have not supported the school the way that alumni do at similiar institutions]
Just as a point of order, UMass's endowment is $210m, UConn's is $306m, URI's is $122m, UNH is $227m, CCSU is $43m, Maine is $65m, Stony Brook is $110m, and Albany is $35m.

I don't see much correlation with the Northeast pubbies and football success, other than UMass and UConn are FBS schools and have higher ones than the FCS schools (other than UNH).

And Stony Brook just got a shitload of money from Joe Nathan to help construct a lot of their athletic infrastructure.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI won’t play Penn State
Despite player tweets and coach’s comments to the contrary, athletics director says no game is planned
By MIKE SZOSTAK JOURNAL SPORTS WRITER
01-10-13

http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... w=ZW50aXR5

URI already has12 games for next season, eight in the Colonial Athletic Association and four outside the conference. Bjorn said URI has signed contracts with Old Dominion, Fordham, Brown and Central Connecticut. URI will receive $180,000 for playing at Old Dominion, which is transitioning to the Football Bowl Subdivison, he said.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

180K sounds like a lot, until you realize that covers just 4-5 out of state scholarships.

Hey, it's a start.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Not that it should make that much difference money wise, but the Rams are scheduled to play 7 road games next year - five of them -Fordham, Albany, Brown, UNH and Maine are not major travel expenses.
0 x
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Had coffee with a member of the football coaching staff today so I took the opportunity to ask about the direction of the program and why the potential game with Penn State game fell apart. In regards to Penn State, PSU refused to sign the contract at the last minute. Their reason was because of the NEC/CAA debacle, URI currently did not have the adequate number of scholarships that would allow the game for Penn State to count toward the FBS. Though PSU is not eligible for a bowl for the next 3 years, they still have to meet requirements and the game vs Rhody would not count toward one of the requirements. Rhody has added 22 scholarships(where the money came from is anyone's guess) but it is still below the norm. They are hopeful that they will be almost at the total allotted FCS scholarship limit for the 2014 season. The coach also said that they are getting almost $200,000 from Old Dominion but that the $500,000 from PSU would have helped. I asked him if he felt the Athletic Depart and the University was still committed to football and he said he has no doubt. He said Thor seems very committed but that his hands are tied at times. He feels that they are headed in the right direction which was another reason he was glad they arent playing PSU this year. He felt that with the kids coming off a 0-11 season and to go into PSU and get demolished, it wouldnt be helpful. Most of the coaches suggested playing more cupcake type teams, get some wins and get the kids realizing they can win games and build from there. This is why the coaching staff feels the schedule this season is favorable. They feel 5 wins are very attainable this year especially with the group of transfers coming in from schools like Rutgers, high-rated JUCO's, etc. He thinks Albany, Brown Fordham, CCSU, and possibly Maine/Delaware are very winnable. They definately recruited CAA kids and are waiting on a couple of FBS type kids that want to play right away rather than go to an FBS school and sit.

I've been highly critical of Thor but really think Rhody finally has the head coaches in their men's major sports(basketball, football, baseball and now soccer with Gareth) who see the potential and want their teams to be successful. Much like was the case in the early-mid 90's with Skinner, Bradley, Leone, and Keith for a couple of seasons). Just thought I'd share.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Thank you very much, 74, for the excellent report. I hope Football is on the right track as well, since if not, I don't see a reason to keep it.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Thanks for the post Gansett. I think with a team like we had at Syracuse we could have gone to Happy Valley, but we are too week at present.
0 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

we would have gotten smoked no matter what team we have but it still would have been a cooler experience than going to ODU
0 x
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -fcs-teams

Big 10 won't schedule future games with FCS teams, guess we'll have to go somewhere else for a payday down the road.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

SEC!!
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

If other power leagues follow the lead of the Big Ten, this is bad news for FCS programs. It is only the power league teams that can supply a big pay day to help subsidize FCS programs. CUSA and MAC teams pay far less.
0 x
Maineiac66
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Maineiac66 »

Maine just got in under the wire. They play two games next year with Division I teams - Northwestern in Evanston and UMASS at Gilette. A combined payday of $650,000. Well, maybe UMASS is a Division 1 1/2! Also, Coach Cosgrove's contract was renewed for another three years. He's a Maine grad and has done quite well with the limited resources that he has to work with in addition to the geography.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

UMass is a MAC school anyway, not Big Ten.
0 x