Gm 10 Football - Villanova 12pm Sat Nov 11

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Gm 10 Football - Villanova 12pm Sat Nov 11

Unread post by ramster »

Game 10 - our last home game of the season
Last edited by ramster 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Gm 10 Villanova 12pm Sat Nov 11

Unread post by ramster »

Richmond beat Villanova last weekend 22-0 at Villanova

Villanova is now 4-5 (2-4) coming to Meade this coming weekend. I hope Fleming stays with Lawson for the last 2 games of the season to see what he can do against Villanova and @ Towson on Nov 18th - now 3-6 (1-5). Towson has a game against William & Mary 2-7 (0-6) this coming weekend.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/ga ... =400951003
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Not too much football this week, but we did touch upon JMU and Villanova. Mostly a College Basketball preview with Rhody MC John Vanner. Interview with him starts around 25:00. Check it out!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/rho ... 93236?mt=2
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I read this headline thinking it was a basketball game. Had a meltdown.

Thinking.. "WHAT DID I MISS!!!!?"
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

HA. paging Ramster maybe put FB Gm or something in the title. haha
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ATPTourFan wrote:HA. paging Ramster maybe put FB Gm or something in the title. haha
Page answered.
I put "Football" after the Game Number for as many of the games as I could. Reasonable request, makes sense.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Gm 10 Football - Villanova 12pm Sat Nov 11

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

This week and next week are both winnable games. Have to win at least one to show improvement from last year
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

A Fantastic catch and run from Beauvais for a touch down to put URI up 20-6.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

There is considerable improvement since first half of season with Lawson at QB. Harris interceptions were brutal.
Lawson leading the team great today - and it’s freakin cold
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Playing good football, let’s close it out boys.
0 x
GO RAMS
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

A very enjoyable game. Held them to 160 yards and under 10 firsts downs. Defense played great. Offense was able move the ball, amassing over 400 yards. It was nice to watch a game and watch the other team shoot themselves in the foot with mistakes!
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Thank Heaven for small miracles!!
The kids have not quit.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

if you think about it, they were so close to being 5-5 at this point of the season. A missed (possibly tipped) FG against CMU, and 1 bad quarter against Brown
1 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Plus lost to Elon 35-34 the margin being a missed extra point, then throwing on 3rd down with less than a minute to go and throwing an interception when yard line and definite field goal position to win the game. That loss was on the Coaching Staff.
3 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Absolutely men-this team should be at 6 wins right now.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yaaaay!
3 wins!
Fleming may not be so bad :)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Do you go to the games and watch the decision making? Trust me there is plenty of room for improvement. The 3 wins should be 5 or 6 is the point - and not due to the players that they are short of that potential win total.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

ramster +1000
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

My guess is, with Lawson likely to finish his career here [hopefully] Thorr and co. might give Fleming one more year to see if his coaching improves enough to take advantage of the better talent on the field.

Is that likely to happen? Not confident of it....one thing that HAS to be done is replace the son with a competent OC....

As with Lawson, others need to stay and not look for better opportunities to win....if it continues it's clear that players have soured on this staff...and if so then they [the staff] has to be replaced.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Here the issue, so you fire Jim now? Or does this win give Uri confidence to keep him.
0 x
GO RAMS
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You have to look at the big picture.

If they keep him another year, it has to be with the provision they have a winning record, to get an extension.

Enough is enough.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Here the issue, so you fire Jim now? Or does this win give Uri confidence to keep him.
Look at the records.
Joe Trainer was fired with 1 year left on his contract
Fleming makes $225,000 per year and he has one year left on his contract

This is why Thor and President Dooley get paid the big money, to make decisions like this
If I am Thor I would have:
- talked to the players who have left the program to learn why they left and what could URI have done different to keep them, if anything?
- talked to the coaches under Fleming to see how they are feeling and get their opinions
- talked to the players themselves in groups - Seniors, Juniors, Sophomores, Freshmen, Transfers into the Program. How are they feeling? Would they make the decision to come to URI again if they could do it over again? Do they think the program is headed in the right direction? What would they like to see different? How do they feel about the Coaching staff, and in particular the head coach?

If URI beats Towson @ Towson next Saturday they go to 4-7 (3-5) which is a pretty good improvement and the best CAA Conference record since 2010. If they lose they go to 3-8 (2-6) - ho hum.

At minimum Thor should lay down goals for 2018, as I assume he has done for the past 4 years, and judge performance versus those goals. But my guess is that Thor will, if he hasn't already, talk to the players and coaches about the state of the program, then talk to President Dooley and they will make their decision as to whether to go with the 5th year of the current contract or buy Fleming out. They could also extend him beyond the 5th year.
Thor could also require a shake up in the Assistant Coaching Staff - and especially with the Offensive Coordinator (Fleming's son).

Will be interesting to see what happens. Should know soon after next Saturday what the decision is.

Jim Fleming
2017 Rhode Island 3–7 (2–5) T-8th
2016 Rhode Island 2–9 (1–7) T–11th
2015 Rhode Island 1–10 (1–7) 12th
2014 Rhode Island 1–11 (1–7) 11th

Joe Trainer
2013 Rhode Island 3–9 (2–6) 10th
2012 Rhode Island 0–11 (0–8) 10th
2011 Rhode Island 3–8 (2–6) 8th
2010 Rhode Island 5–6 (4–4) 7th
2009 Rhode Island 1–10 (0–8) 12th
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Another spot on post ramster....only question does Fleming have a 6th year option, and was it activated after his 1st season here?

If he has 2 years left, don't see URI canning him after this season....but changes need to be made at least at the OC position....

Lawson needs to stay, for sure.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

That is a good question. We do not know whether the 6th year option was ever exercised or not. If it was exercised then I would have to ask the question why was it? I have seen nothing that would have caused me to think we should extend the contract - at any year of the past 4 - would make no sense to have extended it.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:Here the issue, so you fire Jim now? Or does this win give Uri confidence to keep him.
As an outsider, I would be disappointed if Fleming is not the Coach next year. Keep in mind that I have not observed a practice, and have not spoken to the players (Something that Thorr should and does do). But with the upward trend I've observed by watching the games, I feel like he deserves another season. As Hal has pointed out, the guys have no quit. Two straight years, they've battled until the end. We've been competitive this year despite not having the depth and facilities as other teams.

With graduation, the team doesn't lose a whole lot. Questions will include who plays RB next year, and who picks up the slack on the defensive line losing Ezerike and We return the bulk of WR core, linebacks, defensive secondary and our entire offensive line. As I said, I feel as though Fleming deserves another year with his guys. With that said, if a bunch of guys are transferring, if Thorr has observed horrendous practices, or if Fleming has a horrific relationship with other coaches/the community then sure, I'd support replacing him. But going strictly off what I've observed by watching every game this year, I'd like to see him come back.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Fleming wins at Towson-he gets 2 yr. extension.
Makes it 3 yrs. left (incl. next). Not a day more.
A popular prediction.

HK-"you heard it here first"!!
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

That there is even a discussion of bringing back a coach with a record of 7 - 37 is pure craziness. The 3 wins this year are against quality programs but they are all significantly down this year. Losing like this can not be acceptable and it certainly cannot be rewarded. This team has talent and they should have a winning record this year. Now they deserve a winning coach. But instead for the 4th year this team has failed to "overachieve" and that is what I wanted to see from Fleming or any coach when he is hired. I will ask again, has anyone on this board seen anything about this team that demonstrates it is well coached?

The record is 7-37! Thanks for giving it your best Jim, but we need much better. This is all on Thorr and I assume if/when he keeps Fleming he will have a long list of superlatives that will convince us all that Fleming is the right man for the job. I hope I am wrong about Thorr and I hope Dooley won't buy it if I am right.
2 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Uncle Ed wrote:That there is even a discussion of bringing back a coach with a record of 7 - 37 is pure craziness. The 3 wins this year are against quality programs but they are all significantly down this year. Losing like this can not be acceptable and it certainly cannot be rewarded. This team has talent and they should have a winning record this year. Now they deserve a winning coach. But instead for the 4th year this team has failed to "overachieve" and that is what I wanted to see from Fleming or any coach when he is hired. I will ask again, has anyone on this board seen anything about this team that demonstrates it is well coached?

The record is 7-37! Thanks for giving it your best Jim, but we need much better. This is all on Thorr and I assume if/when he keeps Fleming he will have a long list of superlatives that will convince us all that Fleming is the right man for the job. I hope I am wrong about Thorr and I hope Dooley won't buy it if I am right.
How much attention have you paid to our football program?????
What you have said is great and all, but you aren't understanding the reality of the situation. He took over a program that had won three games over the previous two seasons and had just come off a program destroying decision to drop a level and then come back up. He has put us in position to win 4 games this season. Do you know how many times we've topped that? Once since 2001. Let me repeat that for you. Only once since 2001 have we won more then 4 games. How about this stat... Only twice since 2001 have we won more conference games then we have this year (Keep in mind we have one more winnable game remaining).

Look, am I saying Fleming is the answer? No, I'm not saying that. He may be, he may not be. I don't have access to our practices. I don't have access to our players. Our issues run much deeper then simply just replacing a coach who, at least looking at the product we see during games, has us moving in the right direction.
1 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Here is how much attention I have been paying. I have been to 38 of Fleming's 44 games, the last 4 spring games, most pre season scrimmages, and have seen film of almost every practice during the last 3 years. I have gotten to know quite a few of the players well. What I have seen is a team that works hard but that plays like it practices. Too many mistakes, dumb penalties, predictable offense and a defense that has not lived up to the expectations of being lead by a touted D1 defensive coordinator. I expected a season like the current one in his first year or certainly in his second year. That I could have gotten a bit excited about. But winning 4 games in year 4 with a team that realistically could have won 7 does not do it for me.

These 4 years have convinced me that Fleming cannot deliver on the championship program he has consistently promised. His grades for these years are F,F,F, and D+. Not sure I have paid enough attention to this team to make this statement - I think it is more likely that I have paid too much attention, so make of it what you will.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Uncle Ed wrote:Here is how much attention I have been paying. I have been to 38 of Fleming's 44 games, the last 4 spring games, most pre season scrimmages, and have seen film of almost every practice during the last 3 years. I have gotten to know quite a few of the players well. What I have seen is a team that works hard but that plays like it practices. Too many mistakes, dumb penalties, predictable offense and a defense that has not lived up to the expectations of being lead by a touted D1 defensive coordinator. I expected a season like the current one in his first year or certainly in his second year. That I could have gotten a bit excited about. But winning 4 games in year 4 with a team that realistically could have won 7 does not do it for me.

These 4 years have convinced me that Fleming cannot deliver on the championship program he has consistently promised. His grades for these years are F,F,F, and D+. Not sure I have paid enough attention to this team to make this statement - I think it is more likely that I have paid too much attention, so make of it what you will.
So you've said a lot of nothing?

What makes you think this program deserves success overnight? You thought he would win 4 games in coaches first year? You've automatically come across as crazy. You don't go from dropping down a level to bringing in a new coach and having the best year in the past ten seasons.
It's great that the players have talent and work hard, but as I tell my guys all the time "success doesn't exist in a vacuum. Meaning- it's great that you feel like you are working hard. But everyone else is working hard as well. What have you done (and in this scenario, what has our program done) to separate ourselves compared to the conference that are working hard?

As I've said, I could certainly be wrong. 20 players could be waiting to transfer, and Thorr could feel his practices are disorganized and lacking in pace. But I will say, in talking to High School coaches, many have great things to say about Fleming. Firing him could cause an issue with some of the connections he's made. Add to that- who is going to take the job? Sub-par facility, CRAZY expectations, and a lack of administration support with horrendous job security. I can't see that list bringing in too many qualified candidates.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

My offer is still out there to do it for$650K.....
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

You questioned how much attention I paid to the program. I gave you my reply and I have no problem that you think I said a whole lot of nothing. I have certainly heard that before. As far as thinking they could win four games in year one - yes I think a good coach could have done that. The team was coming off a 3 win season - so 4 didn't seem like that big of a stretch. Have you noticed what Elon has done this year coming off a 3 win year? Seems that their new coach made a difference.

I am glad the HS coaches like Fleming ... Do they recommend their players go to URI over say UNH or Maine? Has Fleming shown that he can make their players better? The question we are debating is whether Fleming is a good coach and should keep his job. I don't want to misquote you but I think you are saying you don't know. If 7 wins in 4 years cannot convince you I have nothing more to add. But your 2nd paragraph makes me think we have some common ground - you seem to be saying that talent and working hard is not enough because everyone has talent and is working hard. Agreed - Could good coaching be the difference?

As far as who would take this job - that is Thorr's responsibility to find that person, just like the AD at Elon did. I wish we had Crazy Expectations- it appears we don't have any expectations if we think 7 wins in 4 years is good enough to keep your job. That sounds like pretty good job security to me. If your point is that Fleming is as good as we are going to do - then that is indeed a sad situation.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

My $650K is a bargain...compared to what Tennessee is paying Butch Jones not to coach...
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Ed-correct.Trading up for Coen,Rossamundo or Chesney would be visionary.
Flemings one year buyout regardless.

I would do not see a visionary amongst the Coaches bosses.
0 x