ProJo Does it Again

Will Rams Football ever compete for the CAA championship? Will Hockey go D1? Are the Lady Rams on the rise?
User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8861
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1978

ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby TruePoint » 2 months ago

(Changed the thread title because everything must be taken literally, I guess?)

I was sent pictures today that show Brown's game against whoever the hell Brown plays took up half of the first page of the sports section, meanwhile URI's victory over the most famous school in the world was buried on p. 7. If that wasn't bad enough, the Brown game was covered by URI reporter Bill Koch and the URI game was covered by "Special to the Journal" (i.e., no one).

I've always liked Bill and still do. On a personal level he's a good guy and his coverage of URI basketball has basically been good. But if you want to tsk-tsk our fans about attendance and donations while working for an organization that actively suppresses the university generally and in particular its sports programs, then at least put your money where your mouth is and cover the goddamn thing like it matters if you want your audience to think it matters. You're the goddamn beat writer for christs sake. If your editors screw up and tell you to cover the wrong game, politely correct them and then do your job.

I wish we could ban projo links from this board, not over only this slap in the face but over many decades of mistreatment of URI by the Journal. Honestly if I were URI I would consider limiting the Journal's access to URI basketball if they won't even cover URI's football program, which plays in a conference that produces NFL players and national championship teams.

I sincerely hope that URI people and especially people that read and post on this board will strongly consider boycotting the journal. It isn't worth the paper that it's printed on other than its coverage of local sports, and if they are going to treat URI like a second class citizen then they should be treated like a second class paper and left on the newsracks around RI.
3 x

User avatar
RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams
Posts: 3982
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1004

Re: I hope the Providence Journal burns to the ground

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 2 months ago

Are you fucking serious? If you're fucking serious, how drunk are you?
1 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8861
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1978

Re: I hope the Providence Journal burns to the ground

Unread postby TruePoint » 2 months ago

I'm not drunk. I'm pissed. Why is the Providence Journal using the URI reporter to cover the Brown game and not covering the URI game? And why is the URI reporter not fighting that hard enough that it never happened?
1 x

User avatar
NYGFan_Section208
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3084
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: West K
x 573

Re: I hope the Providence Journal burns to the ground

Unread postby NYGFan_Section208 » 2 months ago

It's definitely the Providence Journal and NOT the Rhode Island Journal.
...and I would definitely boycott that newspaper...if I had ever bought the poc in the first place...
1 x

User avatar
Seawrightspostgame
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2948
Joined: 5 years ago
x 426

Re: I hope the Providence Journal burns to the ground

Unread postby Seawrightspostgame » 2 months ago

I felt like this when I grabbed my paper today.
0 x
I just think this team has an identity now. - Tue Feb 21, 2017

User avatar
RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams
Posts: 3982
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1004

Re: I hope the Providence Journal burns to the ground

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 2 months ago

TruePoint wrote:I'm not drunk. I'm pissed. Why is the Providence Journal using the URI reporter to cover the Brown game and not covering the URI game? And why is the URI reporter not fighting that hard enough that it never happened?


First of all, Koch isn't the "URI reporter", he's a Providence Journal reporter. Just because he's assigned URI stories doesn't mean he's solely responsible for URI things, and anyone that's followed him and paid attention in the last like five years would know this.

Second, the Providence Journal sent McNamara to New Orleans to cover the Patriots game. You know, the only football game the readership actually cares about. Therefore, Koch was assigned something other than URI, because McNamara wasn't around for the Brown game.

Third, FCS football doesn't matter.

Fourth, Brown played Bryant. Two RI FCS schools that don't matter is a bigger story than one RI FCS school that doesn't matter.

Fifth, no one that has an ounce of intelligence is going to question their boss in a ridiculously tough job market on an assignment that only three people care about.

Sixth, if it was that big of a deal, maybe there shouldn't have been less than 4000 people at the event that supposedly needed all this coverage.

Seventh, maybe if we'd had a winning season or two since 2001, the Journal and their readers would care more about URI football.
2 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

User avatar
Rhody74
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2526
Joined: 5 years ago
x 381

Re: Put the Providence Journal Out of Business

Unread postby Rhody74 » 2 months ago

Nobody expected URI to win. Bill covers what he is told to cover.
0 x
“What comes next is going to be big, and it’s going to be beautiful.”

User avatar
RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams
Posts: 3982
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1004

Re: Put the Providence Journal Out of Business

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 2 months ago

Seriously, we've never had better coverage in my lifetime of URI athletics than we have right now. Most of that is because of Bill Koch and by extension the Providence Journal. And we're going to get pissed off because they ran a story on a football game attended by only 3812 people, but it wasn't written by Bill? Again, there was an article on the game, but we're mad because of who wrote it? When we had less than 4000 people? For a team that hasn't had a winning record since 2001? Pull yourself together man.
0 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8861
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1978

Re: Put the Providence Journal Out of Business

Unread postby TruePoint » 2 months ago

1. My impression is that Bill's primary responsibility is URI. Of course he covers other stuff sometimes. There aren't enough URI stories to justify a salary at a paper like the projo that operates on a shoe string budget. He has to wear multiple hats, and I'm fine with that. But when there is a conflict, Bill should be on URI.

2. If McNamara usually covers Brown football and he has to cover the Patriots, that makes a lot of sense for the Journal to move him off the Brown beat. I don't care about that. Smart move. Does not in any way justify not covering the URI game and using the reporter who covers URI to cover the Brown game.

3. This point makes no sense considering they put on the front page another FCS game, and a lower level one at that.

4. Bryant also sucks. I grew up in Smithfield and didn't even know Bryant had sports until years after I'd graduated from college. Bryant and Brown are both nothing athletic departments with tiny alumni bases in Rhode Island.

5. People question their bosses all the time. It's the source of value of a lot of jobs. A good boss will appreciate you saving them from a mistake. In fairness, this is probably your best point. I went a little hard after Bill who, again, I actually like. My ire is directed 95% at the Journal and 5% at Bill. He's more of a victim of circumstance here, but I do think it is hypocritical to lecture URI fans as he likes to do and then cover another school's shitty program in the biggest college sport there is.

6. If the Journal covered it, maybe more people would go. The whole point here is that the Journal suppresses URI athletics over decades; that is at least in some ways responsible for URI's football program's struggles and lack of fan interest. I can connect all those dots, but you're a smart guy I'm sure you don't need me to. And again, the alternative here was Brown. It's not like they are or were playing Notre Dame.

7. Nobody is arguing URI is great at football. Do you think IU's football team is covered in Indiana papers? What have they won? I bet Syracuse is covered; they suck. You don't only get covered if you're a fantastic program; it's the constituency and the level. This is all relative to Brown. If Brown were at a higher level or was better at our level, then fine. But that isn't the case.
0 x

hrstrat57
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 1921
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: South County
x 311

Re: Put the Providence Journal Out of Business

Unread postby hrstrat57 » 2 months ago

Great rant!

Enjoyed it.

NBC 10 said this AM on sports report the Bryant/ Brown game was for state bragging rights.

Disrespected we is....
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry! **A10 Champs**

User avatar
RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams
Posts: 3982
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1004

Re: Put the Providence Journal Out of Business

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 2 months ago

2. The did cover the game. There was an article. It was in the paper. It just wasn't written by Bill.

3. How was it "lower level". Both programs have had multiple winning seasons since our last one. Brown owns us both recently and overall. Being in the CAA doesn't make you a good program. Winning does.

4. The TruePoint test of what does and doesn't matter when it comes to sports has always been really lacking. Great, you didn't know Bryant had sports. So you were clueless, that doesn't mean everyone was. If you want people to cover the sports you care about start a paper or website.

5. The journalism and sports journalism market places are a disaster for employees right now. If people can't bother to go to games for a team that almost never wins you're not going to question your boss on this unless you're an idiot or are looking to be fired. It's not a mistake to have someone else write the URI article when the boss says you've been moved for a day. And no, by the way, FCS football isn't bigger than college basketball. Yes, FBS football, real college football is bigger than college basketball. We don't play that sport. We play FCS football and get smaller crowds than Bishop Hendricken. And why should the ProJo devote more resources when there is a lack of interest?

6. Again, how was URI athletics "suppressed" here. There was an article. How many people that don't already care about URI picked up the paper today and said, "Bill Koch didn't write the URI game story today! This is a travesty! I'm never going to a URI game again because of this!" Get real. And I've seen preview articles for every game and recaps of every game we've played. This idea that they don't cover us enough and that's why people don't show up isn't realistic. You want to know why people don't show up? The stands were condemned in 2009. We haven't had a winning season since 2001. We haven't made the playoffs since 1985. Those are the three reasons. Anything else is scapegoating. When we can get our house in order, we'll get covered. We were in 2001.

7. Brown is better at our level. They've beaten us 6 out of the last 8 years and have a commanding lead in the all time series. Brown is a better program than us.
1 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

User avatar
RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams
Posts: 3982
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1004

Re: Put the Providence Journal Out of Business

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 2 months ago

And there's a reason why I'm fighting this so hard. As I said, Bill Koch has been great for our entire athletic department and publicizing us. By extension, that means the Providence Journal has been significantly improved in their coverage of us. When we cry about something this dumb, and are so wrong about something, it makes it tough to be taken seriously when we bring up our legitimate grievances. We have had legitimate gripes when it comes to the ProJo. Complaining about their coverage of our game yesterday and our football program overall isn't legitimate. Bill Koch is as good of an advocate as you're going to get when it comes to this program. Last year when the team crapped themselves at James Madison and had another terrible season he, and by extension the Journal, gave Thorr and Fleming a platform to say why URI football was so important. Every time someone brings up dropping football on Twitter he tries to shut them down. Enjoy the win and look forward to next week.
0 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8861
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1978

Re: Put the Providence Journal Out of Business

Unread postby TruePoint » 2 months ago

The point about Bill covering it is a probably off the radar for most readers, but it is still relevant to how URI is regarded by the Journal. The lasrger issue is burying the game story on p. 7 while Brown takes up the entirety of the front page below the fold. That is quite literally suppressing the game story.

And all of that is focusing entirely too much on the merits of this particular editorial decision of covering Brown and putting it on the front page while outsourcing the URI coverage and burying it. This should be about URI sticking up for itself and saying "if you want to cover Brown, cover Brown. When basketball season comes around and you deem it appropriate to come all the way down to Kingston, you can sit on the back bench at the press table. You can get your questions answered last at media availabilities." Do you think Brown football is so important to anyone, particularly the Journal or to Bill Koch that they would sacrifice covering URI basketball to cover it? I don't. So leverage what you have to try to get fair treatment. I don't see anything wrong with that.
0 x

User avatar
RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams
Posts: 3982
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1004

Re: Put the Providence Journal Out of Business

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 2 months ago

So your idea is we should make it tougher for the largest media outlet in the state to cover our most important program because we're pissed at how they covered an athletic event that drew less than 4000 people? A program we don't even take seriously as a university as evidenced by the condition of the stands and the resources we put towards it? We should leverage our most important athletics asset, and hope they don't call our bluff, to get slightly better coverage for football? That's not a great idea.
2 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8861
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1978

Re: Put the Providence Journal Out of Business

Unread postby TruePoint » 2 months ago

No I'd just treat them commensurate with how they treat us. You don't like the football program and don't want it to be covered. That's you. You're entitled to your opinion, and your opinion has been registered. Personally I'd prefer that the university is treated with at least a minimal level of respect by the Journal, and if it's not then I would not go out of my way to help them out.
0 x

User avatar
NYGFan_Section208
Carlton Owens
Posts: 3084
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: West K
x 573

Re: Put the Providence Journal Out of Business

Unread postby NYGFan_Section208 » 2 months ago

just curious...if Rhody had been favored to beat Harvard, wonder if the coverage would have been any different?
0 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8861
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1978

Re: Put the Providence Journal Out of Business

Unread postby TruePoint » 2 months ago

I don't think so. The reason why I am so aggravated about this is because it is indicative of how URI has been covered by the Journal for a very long time. This decision was institutional, not specific to this particular game.
1 x

User avatar
RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams
Posts: 3982
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1004

Re: Put the Providence Journal Out of Business

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 2 months ago

I don't think the coverage would have based solely on the point spread, at least if we were favored because Harvard was expected to be worse. If we were favored because we were expected to be better, then I imagine there would be more interest in our program, which would have increased coverage.

Coverage doesn't increase interest, coverage follows interest. Every media outlet is going to produce content based on what they think their audience will consume.
1 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8861
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1978

Re: Put the Providence Journal Out of Business

Unread postby TruePoint » 2 months ago

If the team is bad, cover the games and report how bad the team is. But there is no excuse for the local paper to not have a reporter at a college football game for a division 1 football program. And especially when they have someone that is there to primarily cover URI. You can make whatever excuse you want for them. Whatever the New Hampshire paper is wouldn't cover Dartmouth and not UNH. If it was a one time misjudgment I'd say fine, whatever. But there is too much history of the projo not giving URI it's fair share of coverage. In the short term, interest drives coverage but in the long term coverage does drive interest.
1 x

User avatar
RF1
Sly Williams
Posts: 4173
Joined: 5 years ago
x 763

Re: Put the Providence Journal Out of Business

Unread postby RF1 » 2 months ago

The game at Providence pitted two (Brown and Bryant) of the three local FCS teams. By virtue of that fact, it deserved top billing in the Projo Sports section.
4 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8861
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1978

Re: Put the Providence Journal Out of Business

Unread postby TruePoint » 2 months ago

I don't care if they also covered that game, but the prominence of one game story compared to the other is the issue. Or at least it is the main issue. The other issue, which is related and compounds the first issue, is that they took the reporter who usually covers URI and moved that reporter to cover this other game. That is both a symbolic problem and a practical one, because I'm sure that a major reason the Brown game was given more prominence in the print edition is because their reporter wrote a sizable piece on it and URI write-up could have been done with a fairly decent computer program.

I would say this is as upset as I've ever been with the Providence Journal, and people here bang on the Journal incessantly. Now people are defending them over what I think is as egregious and obvious disrespect to the university as I can recall. The Journal does not have an obligation to market or cheerlead for URI, but it does have an obligation to cover the team fairly. Considering the circumstances, the URI story should have been at least right next to the Brown story and the URI game should have been covered by the URI writer.
2 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 7084
Joined: 5 years ago
x 993

Re: Put the Providence Journal Out of Business

Unread postby ramster » 2 months ago

3770 was the attendance for this rivalry game. How does this play into the point that URI had just under 4,000?

Bryant lost @ Maine 60 - 12

URI beating Harvard, the favorite to win the Ivy League was the bigger story.
2 x

User avatar
Seawrightspostgame
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2948
Joined: 5 years ago
x 426

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby Seawrightspostgame » 2 months ago

I only realized there was something about the URI game on the front page after reading the story. URI wasn't in bold or anything. URI WINS. That would work.

I find the journal's coverage of URI athletics tedious.
1 x
I just think this team has an identity now. - Tue Feb 21, 2017

rambone 78
Frank Keaney
Posts: 10362
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1126

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby rambone 78 » 2 months ago

Beating Harvard should have been news, especially for this program.

It's one thing being treated like second class in hoop when it comes to PC, but Brown and Bryant in football? Seriously?

They both suck this season....

And state bragging rights? Who wants to brag about anything concerning this state and how it treats URI?

I realize we've stunk for many years....but maybe just maybe things are getting a little better.

If I were Thorr I would be none too happy about the projo's bragging rights comment. We even beat sorry Brown last season......

If we beat them again he should call them out.....
0 x

User avatar
OBRAM
ARD
Posts: 555
Joined: 5 years ago
x 26

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby OBRAM » 2 months ago

Should have been something on front page, even small.
I will continue to buy ProJo Newspaper, if only, because RI needs a newspaper to do the political and corruptions stories in Rhode Island.
I think ProJo has done a better job of RI politics now than years ago.
I like Szostak criticize Meade Stadium, because the new West Stands were in the shade (it was a colder that last Saturday). Does anyone know any stadium where press boxes don't shade the stands below, it even happens at Gillette.
Most Projo reporters (not Koch) goes out the their way not to cover us , or find way to criticize us.
0 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 7084
Joined: 5 years ago
x 993

Re: Put the Providence Journal Out of Business

Unread postby ramster » 2 months ago

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I don't think the coverage would have based solely on the point spread, at least if we were favored because Harvard was expected to be worse. If we were favored because we were expected to be better, then I imagine there would be more interest in our program, which would have increased coverage.

Coverage doesn't increase interest, coverage follows interest. Every media outlet is going to produce content based on what they think their audience will consume.


There were 3,770 in attendance for Bryant vs Brown in state rivalry in the city of Providence. Doesn't exactly lend itself to interest or the front page story with URIs upset victory over a Harvard team picked to win the Ivy League.

I like the projo and always have. I like all the projo reporters. But it is what it is with this oversight.

Projo just screwed up, period.
1 x

Uncle Ed
Steve Chubin
Posts: 108
Joined: 1 year ago
x 37

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby Uncle Ed » 2 months ago

Agreed. I attended the game and was expecting a complete story on it, especially hearing what Fleming had to say. This was the biggest win of his tenure. When I saw the Brown / Bryant story on the front page, I was somewhat surprised but attributed it to 2 RI teams. The real issue was, as someone in these posts stated, a computer written article that added nothing to the box score. This was a big story and they missed the boat and let a lot or readers down.
1 x

rambone 78
Frank Keaney
Posts: 10362
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1126

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby rambone 78 » 2 months ago

Since they sent Koch to the B/B game, they had no one to go to Kingston, most likely.

Shoestring budget....sort of like the football program's.
0 x

Rhody15
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1179
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Rhode Island
x 417

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby Rhody15 » 2 months ago

"Honestly if I were URI I would consider limiting the Journal's access to URI basketball."

This might be the dumbest sentence ever posted on this board.
3 x
Go Rhody

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8861
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1978

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby TruePoint » 2 months ago

Rhody15 wrote:"Honestly if I were URI I would consider limiting the Journal's access to URI basketball."

This might be the dumbest sentence ever posted on this board.


Fortunately for you, I don't thing the athletic department is as spiteful, petty and vengeful as I am when I am wound up and upset. I don't deny being that way. But I also think that sometimes you do have to send a message. I wouldn't support revoking credentials or permanently changing the relationship, but there are subtle ways you can make your displeasure known that are short of going to the mattresses. And URI athletic department should absolutely be displeased with the Journal's coverage of the Harvard game, especially when juxtaposed with how they covered the Brown game.
1 x

rambone 78
Frank Keaney
Posts: 10362
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1126

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby rambone 78 » 2 months ago

like I said, Thorr and or Dooley should relay a message to the projo expressing his displeasure of the [lack of] coverage.

Like that changes anything, but still.....
0 x

rhodywins
Michael Andersen
Posts: 64
Joined: 2 years ago
x 22

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby rhodywins » 2 months ago

Looking at the paper Sunday morning I had many of the same feelings that TP has-But
1-the other game did have two RI teams
2 Bill is not only the URI sports reporter. He is also their prime High School person
3, Blame the URI Athletic Dept. some -The PR dept. stinks - I follow some of the minor sports and I see scores from Salve,RWU,RIC,J&W,CCRI for sports like soccer, volleyball softball etc. and never for URI. When asking the Journal about this they said that URI never calls in the scores. That is on the PR dept. at Rhody. Can't they at least assign an intern to report their team's outcomes?
0 x

hrstrat57
Cuttino Mobley
Posts: 1921
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: South County
x 311

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby hrstrat57 » 2 months ago

Bryant moved to Smithfield a few years ago......
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry! **A10 Champs**

Rhody15
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1179
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Rhode Island
x 417

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby Rhody15 » 2 months ago

To me it's not even a question. Bryant vs. Brown, two of the three D1 football teams in the state, played each other. That deserved more coverage than Rhody Harvard in my opinion.
0 x
Go Rhody

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8861
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1978

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby TruePoint » 2 months ago

Maybe I could just re-post the previous post where I said I understand that they would cover the Brown game and nobody is upset about that (or at least I'm not). They should cover the Brown game. They also should cover the URI game with a human reporter who works for the paper. And when URI beats a good team and Brown beats a shitty team, the stories should be at worst adjacent to each other.

The beefs here are:

1. Putting URI on C-7 and giving half of the front page of the sports section to Brown.
2. Assigning the URI writer to the Brown game.

People in this thread have made decent points about all kinds of peripheral issues, but these two points have not been adequately addressed by anyone - and they can't be adequately addressed by anyone. God himself could come on this thread and try to explain those two things away, and God would be completely wrong. It is inexcusable.
0 x

User avatar
RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams
Posts: 3982
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1004

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 2 months ago

Your 2nd point is completely and totally invalid. You keep saying Koch is the URI reporter. He's not. He's a general sports reporter that does the vast majority of the reporting on URI for the paper, but has a bunch of other assignments. There's a big difference that you keep wanting to skip over.
3 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

User avatar
RF1
Sly Williams
Posts: 4173
Joined: 5 years ago
x 763

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby RF1 » 2 months ago

Expect a URI sports team making FRONT page news in the Projo on Tuesday.
0 x

CTRamfan
Lamar Odom
Posts: 289
Joined: 5 years ago
x 26

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby CTRamfan » 2 months ago

How important is URI football to its most rabid fan base [Keaney Blue]?

I understand the sentiment concerning Projo, but only 22 posts have been made on this thread.....That should be evidence of the interest level on this topic.
1 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 7084
Joined: 5 years ago
x 993

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby ramster » 2 months ago

CTRamfan wrote:How important is URI football to its most rabid fan base [Keaney Blue]?

I understand the sentiment concerning Projo, but only 22 posts have been made on this thread.....That should be evidence of the interest level on this topic.


So what is your point? That Brown - Bryant should have been on the front page of the Projo and URI - Harvard was right to be on Page 7 of the sports section?

Just not sure where you are going with this statement.
0 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8861
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1978

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby TruePoint » 2 months ago

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Your 2nd point is completely and totally invalid. You keep saying Koch is the URI reporter. He's not. He's a general sports reporter that does the vast majority of the reporting on URI for the paper, but has a bunch of other assignments. There's a big difference that you keep wanting to skip over.


He is the URI reporter.
0 x

CTRamfan
Lamar Odom
Posts: 289
Joined: 5 years ago
x 26

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby CTRamfan » 2 months ago

THE POINT IS, "THE PUBLIC DOESN'T CARE"......It could be said that even KEANEY BLUE posters don't care.

I CARE LIKE YOU.......Out of 25 posts, 8 by TP, most posts tried to justify why Projo wasn't enticed by the story. I think they would cover us, if we are 9-2 in November and a possible playoff team.
1 x

Rhody15
Tom Garrick
Posts: 1179
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Rhode Island
x 417

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby Rhody15 » 2 months ago

TruePoint wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Your 2nd point is completely and totally invalid. You keep saying Koch is the URI reporter. He's not. He's a general sports reporter that does the vast majority of the reporting on URI for the paper, but has a bunch of other assignments. There's a big difference that you keep wanting to skip over.


He is the URI reporter.


His Twitter bio reads, "Sports writer at Providence Journal covering high schools, college basketball, more. @BU_Tweets grad, Kappa Sigma, two-time Jerome winner, Heisman voter."

I don't see anything stating he is strictly a URI sports reporter. Just because he covers the school a lot, doesn't mean that is all he does for the paper.
1 x
Go Rhody

ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 7084
Joined: 5 years ago
x 993

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby ramster » 2 months ago

CTRamfan wrote:THE POINT IS, "THE PUBLIC DOESN'T CARE"......It could be said that even KEANEY BLUE posters don't care.

I CARE LIKE YOU.......Out of 25 posts, 8 by TP, most posts tried to justify why Projo wasn't enticed by the story. I think they would cover us, if we are 9-2 in November and a possible playoff team.


Bryant - Brown attendance 3,770
URI - Harvard attendance 3,812

You can say that the public doesn't care about URI football but they had higher attendance than a game in Providence between two Rhode Island teams.

Bottom line if Brown- Bryant got front page then so should URI Harvard. It was the biggest win by Fleming in his career at URI to date, Harvard was heavily favored, URI had never beaten Harvard in its 4 game history and we had been beaten badly in the last two years by Harvard.

Can't tell me URI should have been on page C-7 no matter how much you don't care about URI football. If you argue that Brown-Bryant should not have been Front Page either that I would agree.

I'll defend the Projo more than any poster, I like the paper, read it every day, like all the reporters, even Jim Donaldson in the day, but the Projo blew it on this huge upset win over Harvard.
0 x

User avatar
TruePoint
Ernie Calverley
Posts: 8861
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1978

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby TruePoint » 2 months ago

Rhody15 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Your 2nd point is completely and totally invalid. You keep saying Koch is the URI reporter. He's not. He's a general sports reporter that does the vast majority of the reporting on URI for the paper, but has a bunch of other assignments. There's a big difference that you keep wanting to skip over.


He is the URI reporter.


His Twitter bio reads, "Sports writer at Providence Journal covering high schools, college basketball, more. @BU_Tweets grad, Kappa Sigma, two-time Jerome winner, Heisman voter."

I don't see anything stating he is strictly a URI sports reporter. Just because he covers the school a lot, doesn't mean that is all he does for the paper.



I didn't say that's all he does. We have covered this above. The fact that nobody covered the URI game because he was assigned elsewhere evidences the fact that URI is his beat. If he is just a regular ol reporter who on any given day could cover URI or, hey!, anything else, why don't we make a deal: every URI basketball game Bill covers this season you and RR02 give me $20, and every game KMac covers URI and Bill covers someone else, I'll give you guys $20. Deal? Bill works at projo to cover URI; he might do other stuff to justify his salary, but he wouldn't work there at all if he wasn't covering URI. URI is his beat. It's disingenuous to claim otherwise.
0 x

CTRamfan
Lamar Odom
Posts: 289
Joined: 5 years ago
x 26

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby CTRamfan » 2 months ago

3.800 out of 1,000,000 residents.............I care, I go, ......but all I see is a struggling team, recruiting below par for the CAA, and questionable leadership of the program........When they win, the fans will be there. Then, there will be more of a story.

.....The same mindset is here in CT.
.....UCONN stinks, draws only 20,000 in a 40,000 seat stadium, the local papers cover them like their The Pats. Even UConn alumni don't care.
.....Yale has been a second tier team in the IVY, and they average 10-20k in a 65,000 seat bowl. Even the Yale alumni don't care..
.....Not to mention BC's horrible attendance in the ACC........The big story in FCS in New England this year might be Holy Cross [sic].
0 x

ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 7084
Joined: 5 years ago
x 993

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby ramster » 2 months ago

CTRamfan wrote:3.800 out of 1,000,000 residents.............I care, I go, ......but all I see is a struggling team, recruiting below par for the CAA, and questionable leadership of the program........When they win, the fans will be there. Then, there will be more of a story.

.....The same mindset is here in CT.
.....UCONN stinks, draws only 20,000 in a 40,000 seat stadium, the local papers cover them like their The Pats. Even UConn alumni don't care.
.....Yale has been a second tier team in the IVY, and they average 10-20k in a 65,000 seat bowl. Even the Yale alumni don't care..
.....Not to mention BC's horrible attendance in the ACC........The big story in FCS in New England this year might be Holy Cross [sic].


3,770 out of a million residents for two in-state teams Brown and Bryant. So to the point you make about URI, why was Brown- Bryant on the front page with a big story and picture?

This is from the Harvard paper. This was a huge upset by URI, huge. Harvard thought this would be a laugher. Read what their paper said about URI.

"If Harvard were playing Rhode Island, the game would have little intrigue. The Rams sport one winning season in this millennium (2001). The last time that Rhode Island beat the Crimson, none of the current players was alive. No one on earth was alive. That’s because the Rams have never beat Harvard.
Indeed, the best parts of the Rhode Island program are the grass field (beautiful) and the proximity to Cambridge (83 miles). Crimson coach Tim Murphy may highlight the athleticism of the Rams and their improved defense. Even so, Mayweather-McGregor looks like an even match compared to this one."

http://www.thecrimson.com/article/2017/ ... de-island/

You will never convince that URI Harvard deserved page C-7 and Bryant-Brown deserved Front Page. Not ever.
1 x

User avatar
RhowdyRam02
Sly Williams
Posts: 3982
Joined: 5 years ago
x 1004

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby RhowdyRam02 » 2 months ago

Rhody15 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:Your 2nd point is completely and totally invalid. You keep saying Koch is the URI reporter. He's not. He's a general sports reporter that does the vast majority of the reporting on URI for the paper, but has a bunch of other assignments. There's a big difference that you keep wanting to skip over.


He is the URI reporter.


His Twitter bio reads, "Sports writer at Providence Journal covering high schools, college basketball, more. @BU_Tweets grad, Kappa Sigma, two-time Jerome winner, Heisman voter."

I don't see anything stating he is strictly a URI sports reporter. Just because he covers the school a lot, doesn't mean that is all he does for the paper.


How dare you let facts get in the way!
0 x
“We’re going to get better in the future. Coach Hurley’s history speaks for itself. I came here because I wanted to be part of his program, to help get things rolling, to help build a program," E.C. Matthews

ramster
Tyson Wheeler
Posts: 7084
Joined: 5 years ago
x 993

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby ramster » 2 months ago

Kevin Mac covers PC and other sports.
Bill Koch covers URI and other sports.
0 x

User avatar
Seawrightspostgame
Carlton Owens
Posts: 2948
Joined: 5 years ago
x 426

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby Seawrightspostgame » 2 months ago

Koch has a Heisman vote?
0 x
I just think this team has an identity now. - Tue Feb 21, 2017

RhodyAlum
Jim Eitner
Posts: 3
Joined: 2 months ago
x 1

Re: ProJo Does it Again

Unread postby RhodyAlum » 2 months ago

Boston Globe did an excellent job of covering the game; the online version doesn't represent what was printed; blurb on the front of the sports page and a half page story with a picture.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/colle ... story.html
1 x


Return to “URI Athletics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests