Gm. 1: URI @ Central Michigan, 8/31 7PM, ESPN3

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Gm. 1: URI @ Central Michigan, 8/31 7PM, ESPN3

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Uncle Ed wrote:Expectations going into this game were that we will start the year with another blow out loss. Instead we got a great game to watch and amazingly a game we could win. Fleming has shown that he does not know how to win a close game. There is clearly some talent on this team and he gets credit for that, but he has not shown anything to suggest he is a winning coach. He has talked for consistently about how the team had a lead or was within a touchdown in 5 or 6 six games last year as if that is a good thing. He has lost everyone of these opportunities and now this one. This is not a good thing.
"Can't win the close ones"...trying to think....where have we heard that before?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

As we saw with the basketball program, that last hurdle can be a mental one, and once you cross that threshold the flood gates can open.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Listening to the game, I kept having flashbacks to the 2001 season opening win at Delaware. At the time it seemed so improbable, but it was really the start of a great season (or at least great first half of a season).

Next week against Stony Brook will be interesting. It was already one of the games I had labeled coming into the season as an important, potential swing game. They'll be coming off of a game against an FBS top 25 and we'll be at home with extra rest. Are we better than everyone thought or did we play our Super Bowl against a MAC team that might not be as good as thought who wasn't up for this one?

One alarming thing is once again we treated the football like Oprah treats cars. Clean that up and we'll be a lot better.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Central Michigan was 5-for-5 on red zone scoring chances. Rhode Island was 2-of-5 inside the 20.

Here is the key stat (and turnovers and penalties).
Kids have gotten better (but we knew that),coaches haven't.
1 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

It was a fun game last night. If my kids don't have soccer games next Saturday I think I will be bringing them to the game. Go Rhody!
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

None of Fleming's teams have ever had respect for ball security, but I do hope that the interceptions are more rust and lack of reps with the receivers.
2 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

If the freshman kicks the FG they win. Hard to blame the coaches for that. Turnovers a concern but still QB position has been upgraded. Great defensive effort led by Hogan, Ezireke, Ginetti. Team was not physically outmatched, which is usually the case in these games.
Very encouraging
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

QB position has definitely been upgraded. He does remind me of a better version of Vazzano. Has a ton of arm strength, it will be interesting to see if his timing and touch improves. Remember that most QBs have all of Spring practice, summer workouts and pre-season camp to work out with receivers. (In addition to previous years of rapport built up). This is his first real game action in three/four years. Improvement is necessary, but he does have the physical tools. I did think we would see more of Lawson.

What makes these types of games so difficult is the depth of the 1A teams. They have 22 more scholarship players then we do. This can be tough on lineman and linebackers who are not only playing against guys who may be bigger then them, but the 1A school can also rotate in fresh bodies. This is especially apparent early in the year when guys are battling the heat, working on getting back in shape etc.

As always, I am looking forward to the next URI Football game!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

When it comes to coaching and play calling in close games I would just like to see a little less of "playing not to lose", and more of playing to win.

That cost them a couple games last season....hope to not see a repeat of that.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

These guys look good.

Stay tuned.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

rambone 78 wrote:When it comes to coaching and play calling in close games I would just like to see a little less of "playing not to lose", and more of playing to win.

That cost them a couple games last season....hope to not see a repeat of that.
i agree completely. They play it safe and are predictable. They had the ball in their hands with a chance for a huge victory - that is when they needed to pull out all stops - CMU must have been reeling at that point. This game was winnable and would have been huge for the program. Being able to say we "almost" won a game against a FBS team does not quite get it done. Looking forward to Stony Brook. Must win.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Bos8 wrote:QB position has definitely been upgraded. He does remind me of a better version of Vazzano. Has a ton of arm strength, it will be interesting to see if his timing and touch improves. Remember that most QBs have all of Spring practice, summer workouts and pre-season camp to work out with receivers. (In addition to previous years of rapport built up). This is his first real game action in three/four years. Improvement is necessary, but he does have the physical tools. I did think we would see more of Lawson.
Physical tools are great, but if you're making the wrong reads and throwing to covered receivers, those physical tools are only going to help you so much. I'd argue the mental part of the game is most important for a QB. Hopefully it's just rust.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
george14
Jim Eitner

CMU fan here

Unread post by george14 »

Great game guys. I can say without a doubt we expected a blowout (along with Vegas) and to run away with this. We were very wrong. You guys came to play and I think you will see improvement from last year. I was impressed with the RB Cooper and your defensive line. Our OL is a weak point and your DL exposed it.

The fumble by Spalding in the 3rd quarter really changed the game. If we score on that drive I believe we probably end up winning that game 30-7, but you guys forced a turnover and took us to the limit. Not to take any credit away, but we are probably in for a long season. We haven't lost to an FCS team since 2007 NDSU, but we have struggled against top FCS teams like New Hampshire and Chattanooga, however we pulled out a victory. We barely did last night. I always say the playoff FCS teams can definitely compete against FBS. There have been years where we beat Iowa or Purdue yet barely beat an FCS team. There is quality football in that division.

Good luck the rest of the way!
2 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Thanks for coming by, George. Best of luck the rest of the day.

As a Notre Dame fan that followed Shane Morris's recruitment to Michigan, I have extra incentive to follow you guys and see how he works out.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Iggy-(2) 12 men in the huddle penalties?? Coming out of a break??
One may have been in OT?
Running Coop up middle again?? They have really good big back.
Running to far hash instead of middle of field?? Affects chances.
Not using TE again (sure looked good on the one catch). 6 TO's??
even announcers said it in OT-"why is Rhody playing conservative,they have house money right now"??

That is all coaching ,my man.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Iggy-all three problems can be easily fixed by coaching:
A. Penalties
B. TO's
C. Red Zone scoring (thats play calling)

at least everyone sees its not the kids,lets watch what the Flemings learn from weeks 1 to 2.
Stony Brook much more important game.
Improve on above and they can win.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Hal Kopp wrote:Iggy-(2) 12 men in the huddle penalties?? Coming out of a break??
One may have been in OT?
Running Coop up middle again?? They have really good big back.
Running to far hash instead of middle of field?? Affects chances.
Not using TE again (sure looked good on the one catch). 6 TO's??
even announcers said it in OT-"why is Rhody playing conservative,they have house money right now"??

That is all coaching ,my man.
The 12 men penalties are inexcusable.
I don't seen a talented big back on this team and you can't just run Coop around the ends.
The FG kicker missed an easy one; one that he later hit. Hash marks weren't the problem.
The offense's strength is in its WR corps. Sure, they could use the TEs more but seems like a small point.
I thought they were too conservative in the OTs but during the game they took plenty of shots down the field. unfortunately a lot of them were INTs. I do blame Fleming for the amount of TOs year after year.
I think the jury is out on Fleming but I'm still overall encouraged by last night.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
george14
Jim Eitner

Unread post by george14 »

Iggy1979 wrote: The 12 men penalties are inexcusable.
I don't seen a talented big back on this team and you can't just run Coop around the ends.
The FG kicker missed an easy one; one that he later hit. Hash marks weren't the problem.
The offense's strength is in its WR corps. Sure, they could use the TEs more but seems like a small point.
I thought they were too conservative in the OTs but during the game they took plenty of shots down the field. unfortunately a lot of them were INTs. I do blame Fleming for the amount of TOs year after year.
I think the jury is out on Fleming but I'm still overall encouraged by last night.
I thought you guys were conservative too. But I also think throwing 6 INTs caused that. When you look at the game, at least from my recollection of it, you had 2 big scoring plays, 2 big runs, 1 big kickoff return, and that was about it. Your offense could not consistently move the ball. So it basically turned into either a huge play or INT every time.

From my perspective, not saying it's right, your coach did the right thing. We shot ourselves in the foot so many times last night, all you guys really had to do was wait for us to do it. Sure, you guys threw 6 INTs, but we fumbled on our own 10 (which led to the game tying score), fumbled in OT (which allowed you guys to try a GW FG), fumbled on a drive that surely would have resulted in some points and likely put the game away. Your coach decided he was going to let CMU beat CMU instead of URI beating CMU. Which may sound like a losers mentality, but my god we were doing everything possible to lose that game.

Please don't take that as salt in the wound, just my thoughts. I can't really feel any other way considering we were 32 point favorites lol.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We do have a big back TJ Anderson had some decent runs. He seems like a solid 3rd down/goal line back. 6'0 225 lbs.
0 x
GO RAMS
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

I think the jury's verdict is in. 4 win 31 losses is damning evidence. Is there any evidence that this is a well coached team?
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

In all fairness I do think the coach also has to get credit for the talent in the program, which from my eyes is at a much higher level than it was when he came here. From yesterday's game the eye test says this team should win some games against FCS teams...if they don't then something is awry beyond the talent.
1 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Iggy-Anderson is 225 lbs. with over 4 yards a carry. Surprised you missed him.
Cooper cannot (practically speaking) run ball up middle.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I agree with BAR, let them play in their conference and then judge them.

George14. appreciate your input. I don't think you will get any backlash from URI football.

Talk about beating URI basketball on this board... and that is another story!
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah you can't blame Fleming for not continuing to throw the ball down the field after 6 interceptions.
0 x
Phen Egap
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Phen Egap »

Wishing for a different outcome I liked what I saw, or not all that I saw however compared to previous outings. Perhaps a glimmer of hope for the upcoming season, clean up the rough edges and perhaps we might have a respectable season.
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

PeterRamTime wrote:Yeah you can't blame Fleming for not continuing to throw the ball down the field after 6 interceptions.
I can blame Fleming for having a QB continue to throw into double coverage. I agree the talent is better. And if the talent is better and the team still loses by making dumb penalties and endless turnovers what needs to change? 4 - 31 speaks for itself.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Some of you guys are really unbelievable. If we make the 33 yard field goal in OT you would all be ecstatic and not even thinking about criticizing the coach. Obviously they need to really focus cleaning up the interceptions. Lets face it CMU has the bigger, faster and better players and our guys did a helleva job in this game which had them as 30+ point underdogs on the road no less. Our receivers had a tough time getting open and Brady would have had a tough time completing a lot of the passes. I fully expect the receivers to create some space when we play the rest of the schedule and Harris to perform a lot better.
6 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

If we made the FG we would all be thrilled - agreed. But they lost for the 31st time under Fleming. As for CMU, the only thing they probably had over URI was more depth. This was not a great team we were facing. JMU, Villanova, Richmond and perhaps other CAA teams would beat them. As for the interceptions they were almost all thrown into double coverage...meaning the QBs read was wrong ...time and time again. This team looked like the previous versions of Fleming's teams.. and that is why I am pessimistic.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Next week against SB is a bigger game.
Much.
1 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Like was said earlier, a strong arm doesn't mean much if the QB can't read defenses....maybe now we know why these guys weren't going to play at their previous schools and transferred here instead.

Anyway, there's some hope for a better season. Yes, CMU isn't that good for an FBS program, but it did look like we matched up pretty well physically, and that's an upgrade over the norm here.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Sometimes a strong arm leads a player to believe he can complete a throw against any defense, and any double coverage......hopefully they grow and learn that it takes discipline and maturity to know that physical tools aren't everything..
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Look at this game thread, we went from crying about having a program to arguing about how our team can succeed. Great to see! Go rams.
1 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

TruePoint wrote:
NYGFan_Section208 wrote:how about that ref? :o
Love her
Sad story about how her husband of 11 years died playing in his outdoor Sunday basketball League at only 35 years old. He was simply shooting FTs after the game when he fell over and hit his head on the pavement.

Connection to URI is that Peter Sauer was a starting forward on the Stanford team that beat us in 1998 NCAA Tournament. Sauer was Captain of that team

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/peter-sa ... 89459.html
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... anda-sauer
http://toledocitypaper.com/online/amand ... d-triumph/
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

In case everyone forgot...this team dropped down to the NEC for an entire recruiting cycle in 2012.

They recruited less scholarships and talent below their conference, and that class just graduated in the spring.

Fleming's 2016 class was tops in the CAA. This is essentially the first year you can really get an idea of what you have with him leading the program.

The defense looked good to great against a legitimate FBS opponent. The team was a missed FG from a ridiculous upset. Clear to see things look good for the season ahead.

I'm not sure what you people think of the football program, but this isn't the destination where you will get a Nick Saban to commit to. This isn't a destination period.

Christ, get behind this program and if not, at least understand the realities of where they are right now relative to where they were in the years before Fleming took over.

This sounds suspiciously like a lot of you in Hurley's year 3 as well. How'd that work out?
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Stony Brook is up at half against 1-0 FBS USF led by Charlie Strong.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Ted at 17 in the 4th quarter. USF is currently ranked #17 in the country. Next week will be a tough one.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Whoa!! South Florida was favored by 36!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Western Michigan, 28 point underdogs AT #4 ranked USC, now leads in mid 3rd Q 21-14 as they just scored the go ahead TD
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Stage is set. Both URI and Stony Brook push D1 teams to the edge. Let us see if Rhody is for real. Biggest game of Fleming's regime!
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Payday for CMU was $450,000

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI was 34.5 point underdog to Central Michigan. 34.5 points!
Surprised by all the complaining here
We played this team very well. We could have folded in the first half but didn't. Could we have won in OT? Sure. Was a shame that the FG got partially blocked by just a finger or so of the CMU player

I expected the Offensive Line to be strong but they were even better than I expected. Reading the CMU Board, they believe their Defensive Line is weak, so maybe that played a part? But we have a strong OL with 3 Sophomores in Dwayne Scott, Kevin Lawrence, Kyle Murphy and 2 Juniors in Dino Boyd and Derek Allen. TE Tyler Burke, the Transfer from the University of Maryland blocked and played well too.

Defensive Line was immense, playing a big role in the game. The 3 Seniors Jose Duncan, Esra Holmes and Mike Ezirike were solid as was Sophomore Brandon Ginnetti.

No Freshmen started among the Starting 22, but 4 Sophomores started on Offense and 4 on Defense so 8 of 22 Starters were Sophs.

I had a much different view of Harris than most here who seem to have wanted him pulled for Lawson and seem to have already written him off.

Don't know how many offering negative opinions of Harris watched the game but to me he displayed a strong arm, throws a nice spiral, seems to have a nice touch. A few times I thought he threw it a bit too hard on some close in routes.
I also thought he sometimes threw off balance, off of his back foot, when he didn't have to. Rather see him stay in the pocket and step forward when delivering. His Pass Protection was great - especially against a D1 Team. But for just his 1st game as a URI Ram I thought he did well and I look forward to watching him all season long.

As for the Interceptions.
Could have been worse as some balls were deflected and not intercepted
Some were deflected and then intercepted
He threw to guys who were double covered, however, I did not see where anyone else was open at the time he threw
There were a couple of times when I thought the receivers were out positioned by the defenders. The Defender pushed our receivers away from the path of the ball. Not sure I would say all of those were bad passes, maybe Receivers could do a better job of gaining position and also play defense better when it looks like they can't get the ball.

I would not pull Harris, and on the contrary I was impressed by him.

Cooper was solid. I hope he can stay injury free this season - it could be a very good season for him.

Loved the 56 yard TD Pass to Freshman Isaiah Coulter in the 3rd Q to make the game 13-7!!

Freshman PK CJ Carrick looks to have good potential as does Freshman Punter Satchel Denton.

I really have no complaints about this game. URI played far better than anybody would have predicted they would.
URI Football Starters 2017.png
1 x