BJF to the NFL?

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
NY2Rhody
Abdul Fox

BJF to the NFL?

Unread post by NY2Rhody »

Do we think Brandon Johnson Farrel has any realistic shot at getting drafted? He's arguably our best offensive player.
0 x
Quite Friarly my dear, I don't give a Ram!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: BJF to the NFL?

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I wish I knew who he was to make an educated guess.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
NY2Rhody
Abdul Fox

0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

He's a 5'10" WR, so it's going to be all about what sort of time he can post at the NFL combine or some sort of scout day. Victor Cruz made it from UMass to the NFL, so it's not unprecedented, but it's more likely that he's an undrafted free agent that tries to go from a body in a camp to an NFL contract.
0 x
NY2Rhody
Abdul Fox

SGreenwell wrote:He's a 5'10" WR, so it's going to be all about what sort of time he can post at the NFL combine or some sort of scout day. Victor Cruz made it from UMass to the NFL, so it's not unprecedented, but it's more likely that he's an undrafted free agent that tries to go from a body in a camp to an NFL contract.
i agree
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

SGreenwell wrote:He's a 5'10" WR, so it's going to be all about what sort of time he can post at the NFL combine or some sort of scout day. Victor Cruz made it from UMass to the NFL, so it's not unprecedented, but it's more likely that he's an undrafted free agent that tries to go from a body in a camp to an NFL contract.
don't remember was steve furness undrafted?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

McRam wrote:
don't remember was steve furness undrafted?
According to Wiki, he was taken in the fifth round in 1972.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Baskerville was twice the player Farrell is, and he didn't sniff and tryout for the NFL. Farrell won't come close.
0 x
Go Rhody
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

I've been to most of the games and agree with 15, I wish him the best, but I don't think his name will be called.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Agree with 15 and Neil,there have been better WR's @ Rhody.
BJF puts up stats,but turnover prone.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I doubt he is going to turn many heads. Cruz obviously is a great player and a ton of teams wish now they had grabbed him. I haven't seen anything from Johnson Farrell that makes me think he has the burning speed or skills to be in the NFL. And players from nearly win-less programs are already in the hole.
0 x
thatramsfan
Jim Eitner

Unread post by thatramsfan »

I love BJF as a player - aside from Matt Hansen - he has been one of the most consistent players for URI over the last five years. His problem has always been staying healthy. He's had issues with turf toe that go back to the beginning of his sp season (he actually got an injury redshirt that year). He plays through pain, has above average hands, makes clutch receptions (the best example prob. was in the 2010 game vs. Fordham when he just climbed an invisible ladder to make a catch on a 4th and long to keep the drive alive) and contributes on special teams. In addition to his injury issues, I don't think he has the necessary speed to play at the NFL level. Cruz was a special player with burner type speed that I think got overlooked somewhat because Liam Coen got all the attention b/c of his tremendous success. BJF just doesn't have that same type of skill set. He's been one of the all time great receivers for URI and deserves a ton of credit for any of the limited success that URI has had over the last five years.

About Baskerville: he transferred from Dean in his jr. year and really only exploded in his sr. year. If he had played out his entire career at URI he and had at least two seasons with comparable stats to his sr. year he would have at least made a camp but that just didn't happen. He also wasn't a burner but he did have very good quickness, amazing hands and coordination and the work ethic. In his case, like thousands of other potential NFL guys, things just didn't work out. It's not true that the NFL didn't take a sniff at him. During the draft, he had teams calling him to tell him to keep in touch b/c they were strongly considering signing him as an UDFA (I believe the Patriots were actually one of those teams). None of them followed thru on that but the potential for it to happen was there.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Anyone remember the last URI player to play in an NFL game? I remember guys like Rick Moser, Bob White and Jeff Williams from my era. Steve Furness was a great one before that. I recall Chy Davidson and Phil Mulcahy getting at least to taxi squads. And Frank Ferrara more recently.
Anyone more recent than him?
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Ferrara is end of line I believe.
0 x
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

Frank was the last one to actually play a down I think. The Raiders just signed OL Jason Foster but think it was just to the practice squad. Prior to Frank, was Lou D'Agostino who played special teams for the JETS.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Fearon Wright played in NFL right before Ferrara finished.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

True. I found it. Wright played in seven games for the Vikings in 2001, made two tackles. I think he and Frank are the last.
Hansen might have another shot left in him.
0 x