What is a successful 2017 for football?

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.

Poll ended at 6 years ago

FCS champion. If you're not first you're last.
No votes
Make the playoffs for the first time since 1985.
No votes
6 wins. Our first winning season since 2001.
7%
5 wins. Match Joe Trainer's best season.
47%
4 wins
33%
3 wins. Improvement from 2016.
13%
2 wins. Match last season.
No votes
1 win. As long as they win once I'm happy.
No votes
0 wins. It's not about whether you win or lose.
No votes

Total votes: 15

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Last season 20 people answered this question. Nineteen of twenty thought we had an unsuccessful season.

Two people thought we should have six wins and a winning record.

Three thought we should have five wins and match Joe Trainer's best season.

Eleven thought we should have four wins.

Three thought we should have three wins. Joe Trainer won at least three games in three of his five years here, including his last season, which wasn't good enough to keep him from getting fired with a year left on his deal. As of now Fleming is behind where Trainer was as head ball coach.

One person must have been thrilled. They thought the season would be a success if we won once. We doubled the win total of their successful season.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: What is a successful 2017 for football?

I voted four wins as a bare minimum to be successful. We've been hearing how the team has been bringing in more talent for a few years now. We've been hearing that we've been forced to play younger guys before they were ready and that would eventually pay off. We heard that they were competitive into the second half last year in many games and just needed to take care of the football better and make a few more plays. We heard they upgraded the quarterback position.

Sounds great. Now show us.

Last year we beat Brown 28-13 at Meade. Personally I think CAA teams should beat middle to bottom of the pack Ivy League teams regularly, and that's what Brown is. I don't think we got some kind of crazy homefield advantage from the 5102 on hand that made the win possible and I don't think they'll get a crazy homefield advantage in Brown Stadium this year to propel them to victory. We should win this one.

We beat Elon 44-14 at their place last year. They haven't been projected to improve greatly this year. We get them at home for a combined homecoming and family weekend (odd that these two big events have been combined. Not sure the reasoning behind this one, but I digress.) Again we should win this one.

Now come three toss up ones. The first is Stony Brook. We get them at home. Last year we lost 14-3 at their place and we were winning 3-0 in the fourth quarter.

We lost to Maine 28-21 at home. However we were tied with seven minutes to go and all of that despite losing the turnover battle an absolutely obscene 5-0 and one of those five turnovers was a pick six. We should have won that one and we should win again this year.

Finally we get Towson. Last year we lost 32-31 at home. We were winning until they hit a 55 yard field goal with time expiring, part of the nine points they scored in the last 1:57. Yes, we were up 31-23 with two minutes to go and lost.

Win the Brown, Elon, and Maine games and one of the two between Stony Brook and Towson. That's not some crazy pipe dream. Frankly, if they don't have at least four wins they probably underachieved, and if they don't improve on last year's two wins then Fleming should be fired.

I'm not even sure I'd view four wins as a success. I just think we better not win less than that.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

87% of the respondents thought three wins would be a disappointing season. Despite all the talk of improvement we're still no better than we were under Trainor.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

The football team had a good season. Yes, they left a lot on the field (a win at Brown and possibly a win against Elon at home), but we did see improvement.
The offense was the best it has been in a long time.
The talent we have now is significantly better than what we had with Trainer.
5 wins was too high of an expectation. This team played a tough schedule with a few ranked opponents. In another thread I said 3 wins would be a successful season, and it would be great if they could surprise us with 4. I still think the same thing.
There is A LOT of room for improvement, but if you have followed this team closely we are in better shape than we have been in the past.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The benchmark for URI football given its low investment in the program is one win per season. The administration strives for the goal each year of not going win-less
1 x