How many games will the football team win in 2017?

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.

Poll ended at 6 years ago

No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
23%
19%
31%
23%
4%
No votes

Total votes: 26

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

With football on TV, it's a good reminder that in four weeks URI football travels to exotic Mount Pleasant, Michigan to take on the Central Michigan Chippewas in famed Kelly/Shorts Stadium. So this seems like a good time to see what we think of this year's team.

Last year 17 people were optimists and thought the team would win between 3-5 games. Noted asshole and football hater Rhowdyram02 had the team winning three games.

Seven people correctly forecasted the team would win two games.

Three people thought we'd win one or go winless.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Re: How many games will the football team win in 2017?

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'm optimistic but there realistically should be an increase in wins.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I voted four wins. I went deeper into my reasoning in the other thread. But off of everything we've been told and what happened last year, we shouldn't win less than four games. And I'm not ready to say we should win more than that until the program gives me a reason to believe.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I picked 4 with no analysis whatsoever. It's a crap shoot with a new qb, no matter who it is.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

3 wins. Fleming will talk about how close they were in the 4th quarter in 6 games...
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yup exactly. Ball security and poor coaching will again cost the team a win or two.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

4 wins....if the new QB's are an upgrade, there should be no excuses to win less than that.

Like ATP said though, the coaching staff isn't exactly Knute Rockne-like......

Pretty sad when 4 wins is an optimistic number for this program. Until there are major program upgrades [and that includes coaching] we can't expect much more.....
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think the squad will shock the world and match their best season in the last 5 years! So yeah, 2 wins.
2 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Voted for 2 wins. I think a fair o/u is 2.5 wins.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I am optimistic that as the most talented players we have recruited become upperclassmen and with a number of quality players from last year coming back and hopefully improved quarterback play that this is the year we take a bit of a leap. I would like to see five wins and will accept four wins. If we win three or less games this year I will be disappointed.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

2017 Schedule

@ Central Michigan (FBS)
vs. Stony Brook
vs. Harvard
@ UNH (#13)
@ Brown
@ Maine
vs. Elon
@ Albany (#24)
vs. James Madison (#1)
vs. Villanova (#10)
@ Towson

1 game against an FBS team
4 games against ranked opponents
Harvard, Stony Brook, Maine all receiving Top 25 votes

I don't want to be too pessimistic because the team does have veterans, and will hopefully get an upgrade at QB, but I don't see more than 3 wins. This is a tough schedule. Now, obviously these are just preseason rankings and teams can fall off etc. You do have an advantage of playing teams like Stony Brook, Harvard, and Elon at home. Just not sure if this is the season they make a massive jump. I'd just like to see them be competitive and surprise us with 4 wins.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

If they figure out how to finish games, then they should win at least 4 imo.

If not, same old crap.
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

My vote is for 2.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Uncle Ed wrote:3 wins. Fleming will talk about how close they were in the 4th quarter in 6 games...
You were part of the 31% that were right and absolutely nailed the prediction
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well since he's coming back [they weren't going to fire him with 2 years left on his contract] he's got one more shot.

With a senior laden team and Lawson [hopefully] back, if they can't win 5 or 6 games next year, he's got to go then.

Sorry, close won't count anymore.....
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Exactly. He wants to talk about all the improvement and the close games and returning 18 of 22 starters? OK. If all of that's true then anything short of a winning record is a fireable offense
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

Predicting 3 wins was not that difficult....the wins they had showed they have some talent...the wins they didn't have ... and there are 3 of those, confirm for me that Fleming is not a winning head coach. And what I want is a winning head coach. So I am ending my criticism of Fleming, the responsibility is clearly Thorr's and Dooley's. Bringing Fleming back demonstrates once more that football is an after thought. The East Stands demonstrate that football is an after thought. That they see no need to address any of this in a public forum shows that a failing football team is fine with them. Well it is not OK with me. My support of the 5th quarter and my season tickets are things of the past. The joke has been on anyone that cares about URI football and I am sorry it took me so long to figure it out.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I thought they would win 2 games. They won 3. But even though they won one more game than I thought they would this season convinced me the Coaching change is needed now. I’m with Uncle Ed.
The decision to add the option year to make it a 6 year commitment was never announced and was not good. Not Fleming’s fault. Can’t blame him if he can convince his bosses to add a year.
16 of 22 starters return not 18 as some are saying and maybe some of them leave who knows.
Poor offensive play calling
Snaps from the center were a huge issue first half of season
Penalties penalties penalties
Time to change
It’s like with Baron - wasn’t his fault his bosses let him be at URI 11 long years.
It’s on The AD and the President

This season could have been a good one but this coaching staff could not execute. No reason to believe the next two years will be any different.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Uncle Ed and ramster....the reason why nothing gets done when it comes to football here?

No one cares...well some do, but no where near enough do.

And the admin certainly doesn't care either....lip service is all that's given.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It’s the administrations job. They are paid to manage all of the sports teams at URI, not just Men’s Basketball.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Again, it's all about priorities....and football is way down the list.

Think Big, we do.....sometimes.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It may be down the list but it still is part of the job to hire, coach, develop, set goals, advise, promote and conduct performance reviews and fire if necessary. Giving an option year to extend to 6 years was a concrete decision. I’m not buying that Football is down the list of priorities so allowing a coach to continue and provide an option year when the record of improvement may not warrant it is not acceptable and excuses that Football is gown the list I can’t buy. The coach makes $225,00 per year. Is that more than President Dooley makes? Is there a RI Government employee who makes $225,000 or more per year? I doubt it.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Ramster-I do not get the comparison of state employees vs. Coaches or any URI faculty.
Fleming get paid less than anybody in CAA other than maybe Maine?
URI typically pays faculty less or near bottom than peer group-UNH,UMaine,UMASS,UCONN,Rutgers,Syracuse and Delaware?
What this means typically that good,young coaches-Penders,Skinner,Rizzi and employees like John May get offered more (quickly) and leave.
This causes setbacks. Hurleys contract is backed by the foundation/endowment (not the state?). The endowment also offered to pay for Gov. Raimondos trip to Switzerland. I do not see where the state or University is saying anything other than "we pay on the cheap"?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Hal,
My point about the Salary and the $225,000 is that this is not chump change. Some seem to think that because football is second fiddle to Basketball that it seems to be ok or justified to just keep Fleming on for another year or two. Nobody cares. Well $225,000 is a lot of money to most of us and we should expect the position to managed closely, effectively and with goals established. That's my point.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, I'm not saying football should be down the list...just that they are, unfortunately.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Hal Kopp wrote:Fleming get paid less than anybody in CAA other than maybe Maine?
URI typically pays faculty less or near bottom than peer group-UNH,UMaine,UMASS,UCONN,Rutgers,Syracuse and Delaware?
What this means typically that good,young coaches-Penders,Skinner,Rizzi and employees like John May get offered more (quickly) and leave.
This causes setbacks. Hurleys contract is backed by the foundation/endowment (not the state?). The endowment also offered to pay for Gov. Raimondos trip to Switzerland. I do not see where the state or University is saying anything other than "we pay on the cheap"?
Thorr has come out and said our football budget is in the same area as UNH and Maine, our closest peers in football. Either he's wrong in saying that or he's not getting appropriate return on that investment, because those schools have made the playoffs and we don't have winning seasons.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Hal Kopp wrote:Fleming get paid less than anybody in CAA other than maybe Maine?
Thorr has come out and said our football budget is in the same area as UNH and Maine, our closest peers in football. Either he's wrong in saying that or he's not getting appropriate return on that investment, because those schools have made the playoffs and we don't have winning seasons.
Here is an article listing salaries of the better FCS Coaches.
http://www.aseaofred.com/scanning-fcs-coaches-salaries/
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Thorr is correct-Fleming is paid ahead of Maine and below UNH.
The state is not over spending,(nor are they getting any return).
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And the state is not under spending
URI did overspend in granting Fleming an Option Year extension - would you agree?
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Ramster-if I was AD it never would have gotten to that point.
The appointment of his son as de facto OC would have been blocked.
Would have changed the whole narrative.
0 x