New HS fields!!

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

New HS fields!!

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... ng-surface

How much is Salve paying for this?
Narragansett has one too!
Narragansett and Newport are small towns? under 20000?
State U cannot find a way??

Come on !!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: New HS fields!!

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Hendricken is getting a video board! It's one thing when we recruit kids from out of state who come from high schools with better facilities. It's quite another thing when RI high schools have better facilities than us.
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Salve is paying $3M+.
Rhody needs 4-5M for track facility?
$8-10M for FB facility?
Depending who you talk to.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Who has ever said 8-10 for football? It's always been 20-30
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Not surprised,the # gets higher every time I ask.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Just goes to show you how the Administration at URI does not want to invest in Football, outside track. The Admin does not want to be seen spending money on these programs, it would politically be incorrect. They have some nice jobs at URI and they want to keep them, which means, stay out of the public limelight.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's surprising when Dooley was all in on football at Montana.....

I think the problem is, football here is just way down the list of priorities.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Bone-Dooley was at Montana State-big difference.
Montana st.=small time
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think when Dooley was there they invested in a new stadium among other things.

Ah, college football in New England....where not many people care.
0 x
GansettSummer
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettSummer »

Hal Kopp wrote:Bone-Dooley was at Montana State-big difference.
Montana st.=small time
So small time is a school with at 17,000+ seat stadium, field turf and lights?
Last edited by GansettSummer 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Small time is URI football, top to bottom.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

GansettSummer wrote:
Hal Kopp wrote:Bone-Dooley was at Montana State-big difference.
Montana st.=small time
So small time is a school with at 17,000+ seat stadium, filed turf and lights?
First rule of discussing football is don't listen to Hal Kopp. People with Keaney colored glasses think he's way too optimistic.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

OBRAM wrote:Just goes to show you how the Administration at URI does not want to invest in Football, outside track. The Admin does not want to be seen spending money on these programs, it would politically be incorrect. They have some nice jobs at URI and they want to keep them, which means, stay out of the public limelight.
Honest question. Why should the URI administration look to spend more money when there's a core group of people who are fine with an inferior product and there would be no return on their investment?

And it wouldn't be politically incorrect if the boosters would lead a charge to mobilize URI supporters. Of course once you say the most passionate fans should be doing something more than grilling five times a year and golfing once a year you're told you're being unfair.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
OBRAM wrote: .
Honest question. Why should the URI administration look to spend more money when there's a core group of people who are fine with an inferior product and there would be no return on their investment?
Who is this core group that is fine with an inferior product?
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

OBRAM wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:
OBRAM wrote: .
Anyone who has consistently gone to games over the past 5, 10 or 15 years.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Last season the average home attendance was approximately 4,000. The away attendance was approximately 14,300. So people do pay to see the rams play, including myself. Plus you must admit, that's 4,000 fans after nearly zero success over the past decade and people still come to see the rams play. Theoretically that attendance would grow with just a small increase in the winning %. Which to me means, further support and investment is worth it.
0 x
GO RAMS
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

excuse or not, two games last year it poured, the Brown game and Homecoming. That cut down on attendance.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

With a good team and better [and more] seating, this program should get 10-12k on a regular basis.

Back in the 80's during the Erhardt years...I think we were close to that.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

rambone-exactly-a 6 win seasson could do those #s!!
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

josephski wrote:
OBRAM wrote:
RhowdyRam02 wrote:

So the best way to support the team is to not go to games? Sound logic, the Admin would definitely want to spend $ more if there were no fans at the games.
0 x
Shaolin Swat
ARD

Unread post by Shaolin Swat »

Uncle Ed wrote:
josephski wrote:
OBRAM wrote: Who is this core group that is fine with an inferior product?

So the best way to support the team is to not go to games? Sound logic, the Admin would definitely want to spend $ more if there were no fans at the games.
Not taking a side one way or the other, but wasn't that part of what expedited Baron's exit? I thought that on-court struggles coupled with the drastic drop in attendance had a part in his dismissal.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Or you know, you could keep going, do nothing to effect change and hope they'll decide to do something for no good reason.

You can get pissed that McDonald's serves you a terrible burger, but with billions and billions served, why would they change? You know what you're getting.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Shaolin Swat wrote:
Uncle Ed wrote:
josephski wrote:

Not taking a side one way or the other, but wasn't that part of what expedited Baron's exit? I thought that on-court struggles coupled with the drastic drop in attendance had a part in his dismissal.
That's precisely what happened. People vote with their wallets.
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

Uncle Ed wrote:
josephski wrote:
OBRAM wrote: Who is this core group that is fine with an inferior product?

I doubt this will ever happen but you would organize a specific game to skip. I'm pretty sure if only 500 people or less showed up to a home game it would send a pretty strong message to the Admins.

Either way as Rhowdy posted, people vote with their wallets. Thorr has said he has no plans of dropping the football program so maybe a huge decline in attendance would make him more serious about making changes to improve the program. Right now he probably realizes people will keep paying for a shit product and with football not being that big in the northeast anyways why bother spending much money on it.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

How about I start newsletter re. Rhody sports,charge you guys for it.
And donate profits to Rhody FB?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Think Big does not apply to URI football.

They have lost big for so long, people are just used to it.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Hal Kopp wrote:How about I start newsletter re. Rhody sports,charge you guys for it.
And donate profits to Rhody FB?
I think we'd raise more money if everyone just gambled on the opposite of how you thought a game would go. Reef lives in Vegas if I remember correctly, he could put the bets in for us
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

I just tried to book a hotel in Gansett/S. Kingstown for Homecoming-all sold out !!
2 1/2 mos. in advance !!
Amazing-huh?
Maybe they could try Homecoming once around a soccer game and see what happens!

HK
"When You Need To Know!!"
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

josephski wrote:
Uncle Ed wrote:
josephski wrote:
I doubt this will ever happen but you would organize a specific game to skip. I'm pretty sure if only 500 people or less showed up to a home game it would send a pretty strong message to the Admins.

Either way as Rhowdy posted, people vote with their wallets. Thorr has said he has no plans of dropping the football program so maybe a huge decline in attendance would make him more serious about making changes to improve the program. Right now he probably realizes people will keep paying for a shit product and with football not being that big in the northeast anyways why bother spending much money on it.
Here is the Budget which totals $3.6 million per year
$2,300,000 Scholarships Football
$1,300,000 Operating Budget:
- $200,000 Donations strictly designated for Football
- $150,000 Ticket Sales
- $450,000 Buy Games ($500,000 last year for Kansas, $400,000 this year for Central Michigan)
Equates to a loss of $500,000 per year

Ticket Sales amount to 4.2% of the Total Football Budget and 11.5% of the Football Operating Budget

I am not sure how much of the $150,000 in Ticket Sales are from Season Ticket Holders but likely substantial since they normally occupy the best seats on the Home Side of the Field

The big kahuna to the operating budget is the buy games - one buy game is triple the revenue of the entire season ticket sales for home games

You can try your attempt to hit the wallet but in reality the tickets are pretty cheap and it will be difficult to get such a movement rolling.

My advice would be to go to the games, enjoy the tailgating, cheer for your URI Rams, bring the family, have a hotdog. There may come a day that URI does not have a football team just as Hofstra, Vermont, Boston University and Northeastern dropped the sport in recent years so enjoy the Team while we have it. And this does NOT mean I do not want my URI Rams Team to win each and every game

I loved it when URI had a Wrestling Team that was ranked Top 25 in the Nation several times. I'd hate to see the Football Team go because of Budget constraints.

I am not sure of the reason you have for not going to games. Is it to protest the Head Coach and want him and his staff fired? Or is it frustration with the overall program aiming at Thor and Dooley? of both? Would want such a protest to have specific goals or requests I would think to be effective.

Either way, I don't think staying away from games will matter, but that's your call of course.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I stay away because the product is poor, there's no plan at all to improve things, and most important the stands aren't safe. I'll probably go to the Brown game this year. I won't go to Meade again unless they improve the East stands.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'm going to as many as I can, some good home games this season. Harvard, Villanova, James Madison.
0 x
GO RAMS
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

ramster wrote:
josephski wrote:
Uncle Ed wrote:

Here is the Budget which totals $3.6 million per year
$2,300,000 Scholarships Football
$1,300,000 Operating Budget:
- $200,000 Donations strictly designated for Football
- $150,000 Ticket Sales
- $450,000 Buy Games ($500,000 last year for Kansas, $400,000 this year for Central Michigan)
Equates to a loss of $500,000 per year

Ticket Sales amount to 4.2% of the Total Football Budget and 11.5% of the Football Operating Budget

I am not sure how much of the $150,000 in Ticket Sales are from Season Ticket Holders but likely substantial since they normally occupy the best seats on the Home Side of the Field

Does the $2,300,000 for Scholarships include Tuition and Room and Board? If it includes Tuition, It really does not cost the University much money to have a football player on scholarship be put into a class with 50 other students. It is like the left hand feeding the right hand. Take the football player away from that class, and you still need to have the professor teach the other 50 students.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:I'm going to as many as I can, some good home games this season. Harvard, Villanova, James Madison.
James Madison is going to be a good game?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

72M TX High School football stadium to open

Unread post by RF1 »

$72 Million for a High School Stadium? In Texas, It's Only Up from There

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2729 ... m=referral

Katy HS
12,000 capacity
luxury boxes
2 million dollar video board