FBS transfer

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

FBS transfer

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: FBS transfer

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Not good when all our good players leave...
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

Steinmetz and 5 other 5th year players leaving the team was reported here back in December. Not a good sign for this team. Does Fleming survive another losing season? Does the program survive?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Who wants to play for a loser? Who can blame them?

I know I would be tired of playing for a program that wins 0-2 games every season for my career there.
Last edited by rambone 78 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

No Fleming does not survive a season with less than 4-5 wins.
No,Football will not be dropped.

IMHO.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Better than 50-50 that he's gone then....I don't see this team winning that many this season.

They might be competitive in more games, but winning them? They had a couple golden opportunities to win more last season, and blew it with bad coaching decisions.....

Will that improve? HK...a question...do you know if they've hired an OC?
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Rambone-do not think they hired a OC,Flemings son still calling majority of plays??
He killed them last year. Big mistake.
URI FB is not the place for on the job training.
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Hal Kopp wrote:Rambone-do not think they hired a OC,Flemings son still calling majority of plays??
He killed them last year. Big mistake.
URI FB is not the place for on the job training.
Totally agree...reading a review of the Spring game did not fill me with hope that the offense has improved at all. Vazzano has a great arm but they consistently fail to execute simple plays, are very predictable and give up way to many sacks! I had heard last year that Thorr was not happy about the OC situation. But nothing has changed so apparently he supports this decision. I personally like Thorr but this is a real problem and he owns it.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

It's Thorr's call....he can tell Fleming to hire one......so yes it's on him if they flop again.

They hired this staff on the cheap...and they are getting what they paid for.

My guess is, Fleming and co. are out the door after this season. I think he will have 1 year left on his contract at the end of it.

But the thing is, if the school won't spend the money needed to bring in a higher quality staff, what's the point of it all?

All these players leaving isn't exactly a sign of a vote of confidence.......they want to go where they have at least a chance to win, and this isn't the place.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Rambone and replace it with what??
The baseball team is doing great and drawing 250 per game ???
Expectations are 5K attendance for a 2 win FB team and Zip for a great baseball team?
Same fans have nothing else to do in springtime-so tell them to quit complaining and get out there.
If they want to support and effect change?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

A good football coaching staff is essential to winning.......not only when it comes to recruiting, but getting the most out of the talent they have.

Does this staff do that? The play calling is pathetic at times.....the execution is also.....can't even snap the ball to the QB?

You can't win without talent, players and coaching.

Putting together a good baseball staff is much cheaper than the same in football.....

To win in football, you got to spend money.... a lot of it, unlike college baseball. At least baseball is getting a bang for their buck.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rambone 78 wrote:It's Thorr's call....he can tell Fleming to hire one......so yes it's on him if they flop again.

They hired this staff on the cheap...and they are getting what they paid for.

My guess is, Fleming and co. are out the door after this season. I think he will have 1 year left on his contract at the end of it.

But the thing is, if the school won't spend the money needed to bring in a higher quality staff, what's the point of it all?

All these players leaving isn't exactly a sign of a vote of confidence.......they want to go where they have at least a chance to win, and this isn't the place.
I agree with most everything here except the last paragraph. It'd be one thing if the players were leaving for other FCS programs. It's hard to draw any kind of conclusion when the players are leaving for FBS, power 5 schools
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, I kind of meant it's not a vote of confidence about the team winning, not so much about Fleming and co., although you could say it's about them indirectly.

Hey, if they can get into a P5 program, go for it......how much they will play is another question.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'm sure this happens with multiple FCS programs, not just URI. Doesn't matter if we were great or not, Purdue is Purdue.
0 x
GO RAMS
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

I think playing for a winning program does make a difference - look at UNH. Almost every kid red shirts, they know they are going to the playoffs each year and they know that in more years than not, players are getting free agent NFL contracts.

Steinmetz, like Catalina has aspirations of playing in the NFL. Catalina has just been given his chance and I hope Steinmetz follows suit. They each gave the school 4 years and earned their right to leave by graduating - good for them. Unfortunately, Catalina was a cancer on the team and mailed it in a bit in his last year, whereas, Steinmetz kept his mouth shut and never missed a play. And played well enough to have offers from numerous FCS schools - Marshall, Texas Tech, USC, etc. Fleming in his ultimate wisdom, tried to rescind his scholarship for his final semester at URI. Apparently, he believes that these kids owe URI for the investment URI has made in them. I am sure he would feel the same way if he was offered a better job. Thankfully his decision was overturned.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Ed-Yes. Since 1985 when Rhody beat UNH for championship,check how many All conference QBs and O linemen UNH has had vs. Rhody.
Not even close. All coaches-since then Keith,Stowers,Trainer,Fleming have all had talent to break through the ceiling and didn't.
Man,I hate to say it,but the coaching has been terrible.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Yeah, Fleming is clearly a lame duck......question is, will a new staff do a better job?

If URI is at all serious about improving the program, they are going to have to do for football what they've done for basketball, in other words invest in it. And that starts with the hiring of a new staff.

What kind of promises would be made to help attract better coaching candidates? If any were made to Fleming when he was hired, were any fulfilled?

Were any promises based on performance? Does URI really expect the program to start winning more WITHOUT program improvements?

Because if they do, nothing is ever likely to improve.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Uncle Ed wrote:I think playing for a winning program does make a difference - look at UNH. Almost every kid red shirts, they know they are going to the playoffs each year and they know that in more years than not, players are getting free agent NFL contracts.

Steinmetz, like Catalina has aspirations of playing in the NFL. Catalina has just been given his chance and I hope Steinmetz follows suit. They each gave the school 4 years and earned their right to leave by graduating - good for them. Unfortunately, Catalina was a cancer on the team and mailed it in a bit in his last year, whereas, Steinmetz kept his mouth shut and never missed a play. And played well enough to have offers from numerous FCS schools - Marshall, Texas Tech, USC, etc. Fleming in his ultimate wisdom, tried to rescind his scholarship for his final semester at URI. Apparently, he believes that these kids owe URI for the investment URI has made in them. I am sure he would feel the same way if he was offered a better job. Thankfully his decision was overturned.
I'm sorry, but that's a scumbag move on the part of the coaching staff. Why on Earth should a player be loyal to this program with coaches like that? You want to know why a player is a "cancer", take a look at the record and apparently the way they're treated.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I agree with that, RR2......

Fleming imo has to go......the overall talent level of the team seems to be somewhat better, but the coaching isn't there to take advantage of it.

Not just poor coaching, but attempted moves like the above can't inspire confidence. Thorr did the right thing when he overturned it.

Now the ball's in Thorr's court. Stop the lip service, and DO something about the sad state of this program.
1 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Agreed-too much attrition.
Always a problem w/URI FB.
Happens everywhere,but seems to be excessive here.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

URI needs to keep what little talent they have....especially 5th year players.

But again, who can blame them for leaving?

Amateur hour for a coaching staff, and little to no hope of program/infrastructure improvements on the horizon.

Chances to lose.....very good, as usual.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Who cares who coaches the football team? The problem is much bigger than the head coach.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I think losing a 5th year transfer to a higher level is common or becoming more common. I have seen it on the team I follow picking up kids to plug in. Kids coming in with draft grades too. Skipping the draft.

Incredible how their experience shapes their decision process. Top programs have kids declare early that have poor or no draft grades. Low level kids get top 3 round draft grades and they transfer to a top program.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry