Rhody Spring Football hits the road...

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Rhody Spring Football hits the road...

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

IMG_3917.JPG
Rhody Football practiced this morning at the brand new Narragansett High Athletic Complex. It was great thing for the town, school and Rhody. Not a big crowd but my son and I enjoyed it. Looked like Vezzano took the majority of the snaps with Mckoy & Priore(we think that's who it was ) alternating second team snaps. RB's and LB's looked the best.
Last edited by GansettRam74 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Re: Rhody Spring Football hits the road...

Unread post by Bos8 »

Thank you for the update!
0 x
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

As URI will put a positive spin on them at a local high school practicing let's look into it a little more:

1. Baseball must of had a double header that's why they didn't use there field.
2.even tho there practice field got fresh sod with all the rain they would of destroyed it in 1 practice.
3. Pretty sad that a division 1 school had to travel to a local high school to practice bc there facilities are better than a college.

I'm all for keeping the football program but when does the school wake up and have a plan?
Even if it's a 2,3,5 or even a 10 year plan...
Something has to be said and done. Until then this program is doomed.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I know a top national program that regularly does all of its spring practices at high schools. Just spring ball.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It's a good way to further engage the community. Good public relations and maybe helps recruiting from that school. I see only good from this.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Exactly
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote:It's a good way to further engage the community. Good public relations and maybe helps recruiting from that school. I see only good from this.
If we're recruiting football players out of Narragansett High School then there really is no hope...
1 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

The baseball team is on the road at St. Bonaventure
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

Ok so baseball was on the road and if this was an effort for support form the local community why so little press? Why only like 10 people there to watch? And why did players have to drive themselves in there own cars there? Buses were to expensive?
I get the idea is a good thing but very poorly executed..
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhodysk wrote:Ok so baseball was on the road and if this was an effort for support form the local community why so little press? Why only like 10 people there to watch? And why did players have to drive themselves in there own cars there? Buses were to expensive?
You need to ask the football program those questions.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodysk wrote:Ok so baseball was on the road and if this was an effort for support form the local community why so little press? Why only like 10 people there to watch? And why did players have to drive themselves in there own cars there? Buses were to expensive?
GansettRam, Looks like you and your young son got special mention by the Head Coach

Turns out the move to the High School was a late change due to the rain and grass field conditions at URI. The High School as a new field turf. Maybe something URI should also consider for practicing.

Included in the article are the dates and times of the 2 scrimmages and the Blue White Game

Narragansett High Hosts Saturday Practice for Rams
Posted: Apr 08, 2017
NARRAGANSETT, R.I. – With the practice fields on campus in rough shape due to heavy rains in recent days, the Rhode Island football team moved its operations down the road to nearby Narragansett High School for Saturday's practice.
Director of Player Personnel Donnie Smith reached out to Narragansett Athletic Director Dick Fossa to arrange for the Rams to practice on the new field turf at the Mariners home field.
"Dick Fossa bent over to make this happen, and it gave us a great resource," Rhode Island head coach Jim Fleming said. "When you only have 15 practices in the spring, you hate to miss an opportunity to improve because of field surface, but that is one of the things we have to deal with. We definitely got better work done today than we could have on our own practice fields."
Fleming's team is midway through spring camp. The natural grass surface on the team's practice fields has been a bit beat up by the recent weather.
"To have a surface like (Narragansett's) to be able to practice on is phenomenal," Fleming said. "We've obviously had a lot of rain at our place and our field hasn't had much chance for the grass to grow. To be able to reach out to Narragansett and have them receive us with open arms is tremendous."
Despite the late change in practice venue, a couple dozen fans watched the practice session Saturday morning, giving community members an up-close look at the program.
'We love to have people out to practice and involved with the program," Fleming said. "I walked out here early before the start of practice, and there was a gentleman here with his young son. They were just excited to see some football. There are a lot of people out there like that, and it's great to have that kind of interest and support for what we are doing."
In terms of the practice itself, the Rams had one of their more physical sessions of camp. The team was in full pads and went full-contact for large segments of the practice.
"I think the progress is where it should be at this point," Fleming said. "The defense is always going to be a little bit ahead of the offense, but there are moments when you see a good throw and catch, and some really good timing in the passing game. I'm excited about our running game because we are seeing some decent creases and the backs seems to be seeing things well."
The Rams have:
- Nine more practices remaining in the spring, including two full-speed scrimmages and the annual Blue-White Game in Meade Stadium Saturday, April 29.
- The two scrimmages will be held Saturday, April 15 and Saturday, April 22. Start time is 10 a.m. both days.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm sorry, but when a small local high school has facilities that are in better shape than URI's, that's sad and a disgrace.

URI's football program: Small Time.
0 x
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

In regards to NHS facilities vs URI. As someone who donated funds to help build it, it cost just under $4mil to build it. That was for the field, lights, the track & the throwing and jumping pits, stands that can seat 1000, press box, concession, bathrooms, storage barn, etc. we raised $1.8mil and the town funded the rest. It ceases to amaze me that URI can't do the same. There is no doubt in my mind that if the baseball team can do a successful fundraising drive so could the football team. I know some of the URI football operations people were talking to NHS AD about the field. Maybe it's the start of URI looking to improve its football field. Time will tell I guess.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The same thing was done at Montville High in CT. For about 5 million. Their facility is 10X nicer than Meade.

Yes, Meade needs stands that can seat more than 1000, but you get the picture.

Even if the stands aren't rebuilt yet, there's NO reason why the field, lights, track etc. can't be done, and soon.
1 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

URI football practice field should have been redone with FieldTurf. Yes, it would have cost maybe $900k more, but they you can uses it and abuse it. The new sod will get worn out. I don't mind Meade being Grass, like Brown Stadium is Grass (very muddy), Brown's two practice files are FieldTurf with lights, but then your practice field needs to be Field Turf.

I found this link.
http://www.independentri.com/independen ... 0ccf0.html
Last edited by OBRAM 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x