brown game

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
neil
Art Stephenson

brown game

Unread post by neil »

They played better but certainly not good enough to win. Too many penalties, offensive pass intereference, bad snaps. The defense had their best game but could not sack the quarterback. Brown had zero turnovers and we had a crucial one giving up the ball on our own 22 yard line. There ARE people that care about this team, the problem is that the administration/athletic department have no desire/money to change it. Go Rhody!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: brown game

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thank you for the report, Neil! Fans like you deserve a better football program.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
GandysFantasy
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by GandysFantasy »

Neil,

I think Thorr et al have a desire for URI to excel in football, but what they don't have is the finances to help make this program successful.

You can't nickel and dime a football program.....there are too many bodies to recruit.

Unlike in basketball, where a school like PC can sign two stud recruits like Ledo And Dunn, two players who can vastly affect a program.....URI football needs dozens and dozens of players. Two players don't make a difference like it does in hoops.

Uri does not have the foundation in place to effectively lure recruits to uri.

I expect the program to linger at the bottom unless funding markedly goes up. Does anyone think that will happen?
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

As long as we hang it there it may happend, but maybe just not right away.
URI football is being underfunded, it is if basketball played in Rodman Hall and only had 9 players on the roster, that is where football is. Except for a few improvement by Mo Zarchen building the East Stands, not much has changed in decades. I also think that at top levels of the Admin, higher than the Athletic Dept, football has never had the support it needs or gets at other schools that have surpassed us like Maine, Stony Brook, Albany, Towson. One thought at URI grows, the Athletic budget as a % if the total budget I believe must be the smallest almost ever. Hopefully, as URI grows more, the Athletic Budget can grow. URI needs major improvements to the Athletic Facilities, Football, Outside Track, and don't forget Tootell pools are over 40 years old not. RIC had a $13 million fix up to their 13 year old Rec Center paid for by a State Bond, we could be so lucky.
Football would not take much to be competitive, and I think privately we could get part of the way there, but not all the way, that is why it will take a change in Admin Attitude.
0 x