Another Rookie of the Week Award for Melendez

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
CTmfj
Jim Eitner

Another Rookie of the Week Award for Melendez

Unread post by CTmfj »

Seems like she's the real deal. I think that the Lady Rams' last freshman to get multiple Rookie of the Week awards was Ashley Rivera (?), a small shooter who was a bit of a one-trick pony. Melendez appears to have a pretty well-rounded game and is contributing on both ends of the floor. I always love seeing the young kids step up like this so early in their career!

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/w-baskbl/ ... 1224qqi99p

Melendez Named Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week

KINGSTON, R.I. - Rhode Island freshman Tayra Melendez has earned her second Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week award, announced this morning by the conference office.

In URI's only game last week, Melendez scored a game- and career-high 19 points, 16 of which came in the second half. Overall, she shot 41 percent (7-17) and was a perfect 3-of-3 from long range. She also added six rebounds, two blocked shots, an assist and a steal against the Friars.

The Mattapan, Mass. native - who also earned A-10 Rookie of the Week honors on Nov. 19 - currently leads Rhode Island in scoring (10.5 ppg), steals (14) and minutes played (29.5 mpg).

The Rams (5-7) return to action on Dec. 30 when they travel to NJIT for a 2 p.m. game against the Highlanders.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Another Rookie of the Week Award for Melendez

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Great to see this good press for the Lady Rams!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Another Rookie of the Week Award for Melendez

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

She's the one at Madness that pulled a Rondo, faking a behind the back pass and going in for a scoop layup. I was impressed.
0 x