Football recruiting

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Football recruiting

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

As National Signing Day nears I took a quick look back at last year's ranked recruiting class. Granted, it's too early to judge the class.

The star seems to be Harold Buckner, who came in as a junior and led the team in catches.

Freshman WR Aaron Parker also had a good first year.

Two freshmen saw time of the DL: William Mack, 2 star recruit, played 11 games on DL, and had 17 tackles, 2 sacks. Brandon Ginetti, who came in highly acclaimed as a former Syracuse recruit; played in 9 games.

Four freshmen played on the OL: Raes Johnson (11 games), Keith Coleman (10 games), Kevin Lawrence (5 games, 2 starts) and Kyle Murphy
(10 games, 3 starts), boding well for that group going forward.

Three freshmen played in the defensive backfield: AJ Baxter, Rashad Dickerson, and Myles Ross.

Joey Kenny, FB/TE, and Shane Olson, LB, also saw action.

Other than Buckner, URI didn't really hit with transfers. Sam Benjamin came as a fifth-year senior from Temple but only caught 4 passes and had one start. Geoff Horwitz, JR, DE, played 5 games. Danny Harry, a junior, saw more time: 11 games, 2 starts

Six members of the class were redshirted, as Fleming was forced to play kids right away.

By my count, 7 members of the class didn't end up with team, including WR Gene Coleman, who prepped and will now go to Delaware; Deshawn Collins, a RB from Calif with lots of press clippings who got homesick; and QB Rayshawn Phillips, who had big numbers.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Re: Football recruiting

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Iggy-good review. (Its not the kids). B grade in recruiting. Whoa-on game day.
0 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

You play that many Freshman you wont win many games. The positive is they will have lots of experience in a couple years. Should translate to the field.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy,

Are you counting guys that Red-Shirted their Freshman year but then played their first year in 2016? There are quite a few in this category. I know you mentioned those who did not play and will Red-Shirt into next year.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I was looking at true freshmen and transfers only (although mistakes are possible).
Last edited by Iggy1979 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote:I was looking at true freshmen and transfers only (although mistakes are possible).
It's a great review, Iggy and I don't see any mistakes but I think if you don't count Red-Shirt Freshmen then the Freshmen in this year's class that get Red-Shirted you won't count them in your review next year either, right? make sense? So you kind of lose these guys Class Year wise.

So as an example I counted 11 Red-Shirted Freshmen on the Roster for 2016-2017.
- Momodou Mbye DB - STARTER
- Jordan Vazzano QB - STARTER
- Calvin Millner S
- Anthony Garro P
- Trystan Casey WR
- Oliver Graybar P - STARTER - transfer from Arizona
- Lorenzo Bryant LB - STARTER
- Dwayne Scott OL Center - STARTER
- Anthony Danicher OL
- Nate Pauls DE
- Tyrone Barge DL - STARTER somtimes

So 6 of the 11 Red-Shirted Freshmen were Starters, indicating that we are a pretty young team and also that just because a kid Red-Shirts their Freshman year does not necessarily mean that they were at the bottom talent wise (like I might have thought until looking further). Plus a tracked the team pretty closely all season so knew these guys were pretty good.

What I don't know right now is who the Red-Shirt Freshmen will be in 2017-2018.
0 x
Shane D
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Shane D »

Here is the current list of redshirt freshmen for 2017-18, Ramster.

Vito Priore - QB
Kwadir Brown - DB
Jerome Evans - DB
Will Daniels - LB
Jahmir Ross Johnson - OL
Sean Anderson - OL
Evan McHugh - P
Ja'Quan Buffaloe - WR
Anthony Christian - TE
Andre Bibeault - DL
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Shane D wrote:Here is the current list of redshirt freshmen for 2017-18, Ramster.

Vito Priore - QB
Kwadir Brown - DB
Jerome Evans - DB
Will Daniels - LB
Jahmir Ross Johnson - OL
Sean Anderson - OL
Evan McHugh - P
Ja'Quan Buffaloe - WR
Anthony Christian - TE
Andre Bibeault - DL
Thanks,
Do you see any of these players as potential starters next season?
0 x
Shane D
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Shane D »

No problem. Given my position with the program, it's not necessarily appropriate for me to get into that type of response. Certainly the list includes several guys who could have an impact.

I appreciate the passion folks on this board have for the team, so I like to help with fact-based answers when I can.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Some of these names are outstanding, JaQuan Buffaloe!
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Right now is the busy period for football recruiting. Coaches are getting out and making visits to schools to talk to interested prospects. Many times guys that are holding out for the big time Power 5 or FBS offer may now start to re-evaluate and commit to schools that have been there for them throughout the entire prospects.
0 x
thatRamBand
Kenny Green

Unread post by thatRamBand »

Another solid get for Fleming & staff. Had an offer from Stony Brook, arguably a better program within the conference so this is a great sign that the Coach can still sell a quality product here in Kingston.

http://247sports.com/Player/Ivory-Frimpong-91962

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Ramster: I was looking at the last recruiting class. So Vazzano would not be included, for instance, because as a redshirt freshman he was a member of the previous recruiting class. And i did include those who redshirted this year; I found six; Shane corrected me with 10.
To answer your other question, I don't know who might have the most impact among the redshirts but Jahmir Ross Johnson, OL, and Kwadir Brown, DB, were the highest rated.
Hope that's not too confusing.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Frimpong: 37 catches, 682 yards, 9 TDs.
video highlights:
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Great video!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I like that you can watch Junior highlights right after watching the Senior Year link
I like that He runs back kick offs and punts well too
Looks like an excellent addition to Rhody football. Is the QB available too?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

ramster wrote:I like that you can watch Junior highlights right after watching the Senior Year link
I like that He runs back kick offs and punts well too
Looks like an excellent addition to Rhody football. Is the QB available too?
I thought the same thing on the QB. First-team in Virginia, great numbers, but couldn't find any recruiting info on him.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Robinson, a 6-foot-2, 190-pound pro-style quarterback who threw for 2,223 yards and 23 touchdowns this fall, was drawn to Rhode Island by the coaching staff.

“I really liked all the coaches, coach Will Fleming, the quarterback coach; coach [Ari] Confesor, he’s the recruiting coach for our area; and head coach Jim Fleming,” he said. “Talking to them, I think they can get me to be a better person and a better player on the field. I feel like they’re going to change the program around to a winning program. I like starting something.”
Robinson chose Rhode Island over St. Francis (Pa.) and Eastern Kentucky and visited the campus last month.

He will play quarterback for the Rams, who play in the Colonial Athletic Association with Towson, and said he was told he would have the opportunity to compete for the starting job right away.

“Their type of offense is a spread offense,” Robinson said. “They like to move the ball around. I see myself as a pro-style quarterback, a pocket passer, so I just like to distribute the ball and if I need to get extra yards by using my feet, I can do that. At Rhode Island, we run a lot of run-pass options and we do a couple of read options but we also hand the ball off a lot, so it fits my abilities perfectly.”

Robinson also plans to major in business with the goal of taking over his father’s business one day.

St. Frances coach Henry Russell: "Isaiah was an extension of the coaches on the field and he leads by example, so he's a great kid to have in your program and as your quarterback. We were blessed to have him. He can really get it done."
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Will Daniels!
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Last edited by Iggy1979 7 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Looks like the kicker and punter have left the team, so maybe this recruit will be doing both:

http://www.hudl.com/profile/6212917/alex-maier
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

The name of this thread seems to imply that Rhody actually "recruits" for football. Is that true?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

208, believe it or not...they do...and somehow kids come here.....

The promise of playing time is big......of course at better programs they would likely sit.....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

You don't have to go out and actually 'recruit' to get kids to come here...you could just post it on Facebook and you'd get enough volunteers. But, you're saying...they actually have people go to high school games and camps and such and try to convince kids - kids that might actually be considering someplace else - to come here? hunh...who knew?
0 x
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

Here is the list for National Signing Day:

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/ ... 0201bjnxkx
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Iggy1979 wrote:Robinson, a 6-foot-2, 190-pound pro-style quarterback who threw for 2,223 yards and 23 touchdowns this fall, was drawn to Rhode Island by the coaching staff.

“I really liked all the coaches, coach Will Fleming, the quarterback coach; coach [Ari] Confesor, he’s the recruiting coach for our area; and head coach Jim Fleming,” he said. “Talking to them, I think they can get me to be a better person and a better player on the field. I feel like they’re going to change the program around to a winning program. I like starting something.”
Robinson chose Rhode Island over St. Francis (Pa.) and Eastern Kentucky and visited the campus last month.

He will play quarterback for the Rams, who play in the Colonial Athletic Association with Towson, and said he was told he would have the opportunity to compete for the starting job right away.

“Their type of offense is a spread offense,” Robinson said. “They like to move the ball around. I see myself as a pro-style quarterback, a pocket passer, so I just like to distribute the ball and if I need to get extra yards by using my feet, I can do that. At Rhode Island, we run a lot of run-pass options and we do a couple of read options but we also hand the ball off a lot, so it fits my abilities perfectly.”

Robinson also plans to major in business with the goal of taking over his father’s business one day.

St. Frances coach Henry Russell: "Isaiah was an extension of the coaches on the field and he leads by example, so he's a great kid to have in your program and as your quarterback. We were blessed to have him. He can really get it done."
Looks like he flipped his commit. Headed to Maine.

0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Looks like a decent recruiting class. Last year had some promising people as well. Hopefully we'll start to see some production on the field. Rhody could've won a few more games last year if they had a better QB and another decent wide receiver. The defense was on the field a lot last year.
Last edited by The Dude 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Does anyone know the specifics whereby Fleming says there was a lot of negative recruiting against us this year? He does not sound very happy about it.

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... igning-day
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Based on the play them on the field part you have to assume he's talking about Maine and the quarterback that flipped.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Uncle Ed »

I think the negative recruiting comment refers to why did so many players transfer or opt to graduate early, and that a record of 4-30 suggests that Coach Fleming's days in Kingston are numbered. Recruiting is a tough, competitive business, and I think these "negative" comments are in bounds and justified. It is pretty telling that Coyne from Portsmouth has turned down a full ride to URI to be a walk on at UNH. Fleming needs to show he deserves to be URI's head coach. I would say a 6-5 record is a necessary starting point.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Other schools are telling recruits that URI is going to drop football. Nothing scares a player more than that.
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

That is something that Thorr/Dooley need to address immediately and directly. Thorr's conversation with the Projo a few month's back didn't do much to put the rumor to rest. Maybe the program is on the way out.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Hey, Ed: you say Dooley and Thorr need to do more and then you perpetuate the rumor.
1 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Iggy, you are right. I want Thorr / Dooley to demonstratively commit to URI football, i.e., a statement that URI football is important - how about here are our plans to replace the East stands, or better yet we are going forward with the full plans for the full new Meade Stadium. We have not heard that. Instead, on this board we have heard that Dooley says win first and then invest. Well, the losing continues, and there is little reason to believe that Fleming is the guy to turn this thing around. Fleming came here stating that URI had a lot to offer over UNH and UMaine, well at least two top recruits didn't see it that way this year. Without a commitment to stadium enhancements what chance do we have of attracting the type of coach that can turn this thing around? So I guess I give the rumor some credence. I am even beginning to think it may make sense.
2 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Nice class.
Wonder why some many TEs signed?
That position is been in missing persons program last few years?
0 x
Uncle Ed
Jeff Kent

Here's the missing TE - who was a Junior Captain. Don't think he was utilized to his capabilities. Perhaps that is why he decided to move on early. Along with 3 year starting right Tackle.

0 x
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

I agree with Ed! This damn university has to sh*t or get off the pot with this program. I have been a supporter of it since my URI days in the early 90's, I've given money, I've been to the fundraisers, I've been to gatherings, I've talked the program up, etc. I have even tweeted & emailed Thor and Dooley several times to just either commit fully, give the program what it needs, or close up shop. I live for the game as I've played the game and now I've coached the game for years and want nothing more for that program to be competitive year in and year out like UNH and UMaine. Difference as we all know is commitment from Admin. Also all it would take is a Tom Ryan type of individual, not necessary financially, just influentially, to say, get the program righted or else. Not sure URI football has someone like that in it's corner but until the admin gets slapped in the face, I'm afraid it'll be more lip service. Hate that the Think Big motto only seems to be for Buildings/Academics not the Athletic program.
0 x
susie
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by susie »

rumor is going to spread O . would be good for Vazzano !!
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

What happened to punter-Greybar?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Hal Kopp wrote:What happened to punter-Greybar?
Homesick and went back to Nevada.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Hal Kopp wrote:Nice class.
Wonder why some many TEs signed?
That position is been in missing persons program last few years?
Best TE graduated early and left.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Iggy1979 wrote:Hey, Ed: you say Dooley and Thorr need to do more and then you perpetuate the rumor.
The rumor is false. It's dishonest for other recruiters to be saying this.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

There's an easy way to stop that rumor from being used against us. Invest in the East stands. Of course there's currently no plan to do that...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

URI rumor that dropping the football program is completely false - PERIOD

URI does not need to defend itself against made up lies by fixing the East Stands.

Should they be fixed? Sure. Should they be announced to be fixed to offset a lie? No.
0 x
Bill Koch
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Bill Koch »

Uncle Ed wrote:I think the negative recruiting comment refers to why did so many players transfer or opt to graduate early, and that a record of 4-30 suggests that Coach Fleming's days in Kingston are numbered. Recruiting is a tough, competitive business, and I think these "negative" comments are in bounds and justified. It is pretty telling that Coyne from Portsmouth has turned down a full ride to URI to be a walk on at UNH. Fleming needs to show he deserves to be URI's head coach. I would say a 6-5 record is a necessary starting point.
According to this (http://www.unhwildcats.com/news/2017/2/ ... h=football), Sean Coyne signed with New Hampshire on Wednesday. He initially committed as a preferred walk-on, but apparently the Wildcats found a scholarship for him. Per NCAA rules, they wouldn't be allowed to announce him as a member of their class otherwise.

Perhaps UNH was forced to find a scholarship amid late interest from other programs. This type of thing happens all the time on or leading up to Signing Day.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bill Koch wrote:
Uncle Ed wrote:I think the negative recruiting comment refers to why did so many players transfer or opt to graduate early, and that a record of 4-30 suggests that Coach Fleming's days in Kingston are numbered. Recruiting is a tough, competitive business, and I think these "negative" comments are in bounds and justified. It is pretty telling that Coyne from Portsmouth has turned down a full ride to URI to be a walk on at UNH. Fleming needs to show he deserves to be URI's head coach. I would say a 6-5 record is a necessary starting point.
According to this (http://www.unhwildcats.com/news/2017/2/ ... h=football), Sean Coyne signed with New Hampshire on Wednesday. He initially committed as a preferred walk-on, but apparently the Wildcats found a scholarship for him. Per NCAA rules, they wouldn't be allowed to announce him as a member of their class otherwise.

Perhaps UNH was forced to find a scholarship amid late interest from other programs. This type of thing happens all the time on or leading up to Signing Day.
Bill,
Thank you for adding that information on Coyne. Have you heard much of anything about the Rhody dropping football rumor? Or the negative recruiting tactic details that Fleming referred to yesterday?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote:URI rumor that dropping the football program is completely false - PERIOD

URI does not need to defend itself against made up lies by fixing the East Stands.

Should they be fixed? Sure. Should they be announced to be fixed to offset a lie? No.
They should be fixed because they're a safety hazard. But as long as the school doesn't invest, that rumor is going to be out there. Don't like it? Well that's how college recruiting works. Fix it or deal with it.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I'd like to know what caused QB to Robinson to back out and go to Maine. Is it a common practice for another school to recruit a kid after a commitment has been made? If I was Fleming I would be very pissed and want to get even somehow....
0 x