Nova line up!!

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Nova line up!!

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Rhode Island at Villanova
10/08/2016
12:00 PM (EST) 505
506 Rhode Island
Villanova +24½ -120
-24½ -120
Over 45½ -120
Under 45½ -120

HK-when you need to know!
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Re: Nova line up!!

Unread post by Bos8 »

http://gorhody.com/sports/m-footbl/2016 ... 1005garunw

Looking forward to watching the game. I'll be curious to see how Vazzano bounces back, if Cooper can return to form and how the defense holds up, especially the defensive line and line backers. They have a ground based attack, that has put up pretty big numbers since their 28-7 loss to Pitt.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Tough start. They are bigger and faster then us. Can't stop them on defense, can't move the ball offensively
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Ugh ... Back to the ugly reality.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

At some point does CAA say enoughs enough and tell URI either shape up the program or ships them out. Big East did that with Temple years ago.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The CAA at some point could put URI on notice.

I would guess that could come in a year or two, if URI's talent level doesn't improve much.

With playing mostly freshmen, it's going to take at least another year or two to see what happens.

They are going to have to continue to recruit better talent going forward of course.

This dovetails with what I've been saying about the future of the program. Another couple of years of futility, and the handwriting's on the wall......

Either Fleming gets this program competitive and soon, he and it are done.

Rumor is, and I want to emphasize the word rumor, that Dooley's patience is wearing thin......not one bit surprising if true...
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

Rhody FB hasn't been relevant in at least 30 years, you would think we would catch lightning in a bottle once in that time, but really there has been nada, nothing, not even a 3 game win streak that I can remember in that time. I don't know enough about it, so this might seem over-simplified, but it seems to me, Rhody should either double down and actually go for it or scrap it and redistribute the funds.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

GansettRam74 wrote:At some point does CAA say enoughs enough and tell URI either shape up the program or ships them out. Big East did that with Temple years ago.

Just like the A-10 with Fordham, right (much sarcasm intended)? The Temple example is very rare. Conferences typically never take action against perennial cellar dwellers. It would be even more shocking if a lower division league (which the CAA is when compared to all of college football) took such moves. Furthermore, it would totally fly in the face of how the CAA acted toward URI just a few years ago when the school announced its intention to depart for the NEC. If the conference really wanted them gone, they would not have allowed them back. They instead welcomed them back with open arms.
Last edited by RF1 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Another Fall Saturday and another URI Football embarrassment...

So it seems like changing coaches does nothing to influence results. That would leave us with facilities...I would not fire the coach if they don't plan on upgrading that facilities. If they do plan on upgrading the facilities, I also wouldn't fire the coach; I would give him a chance with the upgrade.

As we all know, college athletics is in the middle of an arms race that URI has decided not to participate in except for basketball and some upgrades for baseball and soccer (I believe). Just like most things in life, you get what you pay for. There are not many things in life where you can continually invest/spend less and have inferior infrastructure than your competitors and get consistently good results.

I assume the university is all in on basketball and they are hoping the get the money for athletic upgrades from consistent basketball success = NCAA revenue and happy alumni donations...my colleague went to 'Nova and he spent over $500 on gear the day after they won the tourney...I imagine they saw a huge influx of cash this spring and summer.
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

The university's approach and commitment to football is completely in alignment with the results, its really that simple. Every team we play is bigger, faster, stronger and has far superior facilities. Changing coaches in this program is the proverbial putting lipstick on a pig moniker. I'm not sure if Fleming is a good coach or not, all I know is the team he's trots onto the field every week has very little to no chance of competing/winning. I've stopped going to URI football games as its not worth the 2 hour drive even on a nice fall afternoon.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

If Rhody had a team as good as Villanova, we would get more than 4,000 people a game like Nova does. Rhody fan interest is very good considering the product has been put on the field the last 10 years.
0 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

We already get more than 4000 a game no? As far as the team goes, they are way too young to do much this year. We will see if Fleming can follow up last years recruiting class and continue to build on it the next couple years. If he does we will be a good team. Changing coaches all the time only sets the program back.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I agree, we have to stick with our coach, and help him build the program. Many coaches at URI's level have been coaching at their same college for year and years. Look at Nova, UNH, and Delaware for a long time.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agree. Keep the Coach.
0 x