Insiders Club-Brown Line up !!

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Insiders Club-Brown Line up !!

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Brown at Rhode Island
10/01/2016
12:00 PM (EST) 305
306 Brown
Rhode Island -12½ -120
+12½ -120
Over 59½ -120
Under 59½ -12

HK-when you need to know !!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: Insiders Club-Brown Line up !!

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Is URI going to be a double digit dog every game? Call me crazy, but that does not sound like progress....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Stupid mistakes. Non existent defense.

Won't win one game this year if it continues.

The offense is getting better, but of course another QB injury short circuits that.

Brown by 12? Sounds like easy money......for Brown backers......
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

I haven't seen URI this year but have seen Brown twice now ... very predictable style and beatable with the right game plan
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Let's hire Les Miles!
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Just some background on Brown ...

The QB Moreno is a solid B/B+ QB. He's safe, he has a decent arm but can't put the ball into tight windows. His problem against Harvard was that they ran a lot of Cover 2, it would be 3rd down, he'd check down to the RB and it would be an easy stop for Harvard. I think at a few points the staff told him to attack the zone more, but he wouldn't look off the safety, a few easy interceptions for Harvard, especially an easy one in the second quarter that was the worst throw of his career. Also had a bad one in the 4th quarter with the Bears driving, took a shot down the seam and the safety jumped on the ball for an easy backbreaking INT.

His top receiver is the 6'3, 200 lb Garrett Swankey, he has 13 catches through 2 games, creates a big target across the field for Moreno. His other top targets are Jette, Doles, and Casey (TE), Jette and Doles mix a lot of quick out routes with the occasional route to "stretch the field." If Moreno could throw 5 yard outs or a quick pass on a designed roll-out to these guys, he'd do it all day.

The Brown running game is lousy. A lot of running just to maintain balance, love to run "draws" out of shotgun, they also probably run 70%+ on first down. Against Bryant they ran some read option, don't recall it against Harvard. They will use that down occasionally for a designed rollout PA, have the far receiver work the middle with another running short and one running an out to the sticks. They run that play A LOT. Brown averages 3.2 YPC, 1 of those carries was an 18 yard fake punt in the 2nd quarter against Harvard to keep them in the game. That also happens to be their longest rush of the season. They also love WR sweeps, but none of their receivers you would think of as extremly quick or athletic. Typically when they bring the receiver in motion across the formation near the QB, it's going to him.

The line play on both sides of the ball is where the Bears are stronger, especially against the pass. Harvard had only 2 sacks on 50 Brown pass attempts, not a ton of pressure either since they love the short passing game. Bryant only got to Moreno once. He's pretty mobile in the pocket as well, not afraid to move or scramble, although he doesn't often take off and run unless a huge lane opens up. Brown got a decent amount of pressure against Harvard, but the Harvard QB (Viviano) burned them on multiple occasions in big situations with his feet, in the open field and on the goal line, ran a lot of boot action where he broke contain and was able to skip his way into the endzone.

Where Brown is weak is their pass coverage. There are no ball skills, head is rarely turned towards the QB, and they bring a lot of pressure which means a decent amount of single coverage on the outside. When Bryant and Harvard killed the Bears was on deep, aggressive passes. Makes them prone to interference as well because they have no clue where the ball is and run into the receiver. They are giving up 44% on 3rd down.

That, and special teams. The place kicker is garbage. He's 1-4 this season with 2 blocked kicks, and has a missed extra point. He kicks at a low trajectory, prone for blocks up the middle, especially on longer kicks. Also, the punter is their receiver Jette, kicks about 35-40 yards, nothing special. Had 1 punt tipped against Bryant.

If URI can exploit these weaknesses, I think they can win, and maybe even win comfortably. Can they exploit? Different question.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 7 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

TG-what about the under-58?
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Tough start for Vazzano. 1-16 with a pick 6. Defense has been holding tough. Who comes out to start the second half?
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Get rid of the program.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Despite the poor weather, well over 5,000 people at the game.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

If only a team got points for turnovers. We'd be a top team every year.
0 x
Stop! Rammer Time
Kenny Green

Unread post by Stop! Rammer Time »

Go Rhody! nice win today (any win is nice). Harold cooper really ran well today
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

And Rhody gets the win due to a big day from Harold Cooper
135 yards, 2 TDs
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Trophies are always fun.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Has a team ever won by more than two TDs with their QB completing 10% of his passes? I've never heard of such a thing, but I'll take it.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Nice win! God it feels good.
0 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Bos8 wrote:Despite the poor weather, well over 5,000 people at the game.
5102 was the official attendance.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

If we can only win one game a year, this is the one I'd choose. I've hated their coach since the Jayson Davis Era and it's always nice to get a trophy. Now let's see if they can build on it.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

TruePoint wrote:Has a team ever won by more than two TDs with their QB completing 10% of his passes? I've never heard of such a thing, but I'll take it.
Having Harold Cooper helps. And after allowing a TD on the opening drive, the defense held 'em scoreless the rest of the way. When's the last time THAT happened?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah baby! Chicken dinner!
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Unread post by josephski »

When's the parade?! Is Fleming going to get a key to the city?
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

Beat Delaware 20-0 last year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Guess Brown should drop their program :D
Nice win today
Great to see those who thought taking Brown was easy money favored by 12 1/2 lose their shirts
Crow for dinner before Jay Leno :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The sharp, smart money was on Rhode Island..
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I guess they need Mroz back to be able to throw the ball effectively.

Maybe have a chance to win a couple more, if he can play?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rambone 78 wrote:I guess they need Mroz back to be able to throw the ball effectively.

Maybe have a chance to win a couple more, if he can play?
Unfortunately, according to Bill Koch, Mroz is out for the season.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Vazzano will be the QB. Conditions were bad. He is just a freshman along with 3 other Frosh on offense.
5 freshmen and 1 soph started on defense
Nobody say Rhody winning this game, and especially scoring 28 on Brown.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

josephski wrote:When's the parade?! Is Fleming going to get a key to the city?
No, but Thorr will at least give him the keys back to the football coach's office.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

That game was a blast to see yesterday.

Also if I was on the news hugging and picking up the governor there was no political connotation. Just pumped for a huge win.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

It was nice to see a Governor of RI in Kingston for a sporting event....it is the State University after all
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Ramulous wrote:It was nice to see a Governor of RI in Kingston for a sporting event....it is the State University after all

True, but she needs a GPS to get there. lol
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramfan85 wrote:
Ramulous wrote:It was nice to see a Governor of RI in Kingston for a sporting event....it is the State University after all

True, but she needs a GPS to get there. lol
She didn't show up until the 3rd quarter
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

First game of the year and I was lucky enough to be in the president's box.
Dooley's assessment of the team before the game: We're hoping the weather gets even worse because we can't complete a pass.
Ouch.
It would be hard to overstate how badly Vazzano threw the ball. Strong arm but had no idea where it was going. Hopefully that can be corrected.
A healthy Cooper was huge.
DL played well. DB looked awful in the beginning of the game but then played better.
URI is extremely young. Lots of freshmen and sophomores playing.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Iggy1979 wrote:First game of the year and I was lucky enough to be in the president's box.
Dooley's assessment of the team before the game: We're hoping the weather gets even worse because we can't complete a pass.
Ouch.
It would be hard to overstate how badly Vazzano threw the ball. Strong arm but had no idea where it was going. Hopefully that can be corrected.
DL played well. DB looked awful in the beginning of the game but then played better.
A healthy Cooper is huge. I would assume that the offense and Mckoy starting initially relied heavily on a healthy Mckoy. The read option is much more effective if he is back there, and doesn't put as much pressure on Mckoy to make throws. Vazzano has all of the press clipping, so hopefully as he gains more game experience he will continue to progress. It says a lot about the improvement of program that we can win a game in which our QB goes 4 for 24.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

There were plenty of guys running open, and we have some big targets. That said, he was air mailing the ball and generally looked nervous in the pocket which could have caused his mechanics to break down. Let's hope that's the case...he seemingly looks the part (size, arm strength) moreso than any other QB we have had back there in a while.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I ad thought the same thing Bos8.
QB has a poor statistical game on paper but we still win a game we were underdogs in by 12 1/2 points
He is just a freshman, plus getting his first start, in rainy conditions to boot.
He throws much better than 4-24 would indicate.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Iggy-good write up.
DL was awesome. This kid Mack from DB was a beast-only a frosh.
Monte S.=great motor. St. Laurent does not give up an inch.
Others looked good. How about the play where the DB took ball away from Brown WR on intercept.?
CB from Shea getting better. Rhodys passing game stunk. When the game was in jeopardy,the kids really floored it.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Hal Kopp wrote:When the game was in jeopardy,the kids really floored it.
This stood out to me, too. Probably because it's (unfortunately) not the norm. Hoping they can build on a lot of things, but this in particular.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Bos8 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:First game of the year and I was lucky enough to be in the president's box.
Ouch.
A healthy Cooper is huge. I would assume that the offense and Mckoy starting initially relied heavily on a healthy Mckoy. The read option is much more effective if he is back there, and doesn't put as much pressure on Mckoy to make throws. Vazzano has all of the press clipping, so hopefully as he gains more game experience he will continue to progress. It says a lot about the improvement of program that we can win a game in which our QB goes 4 for 24.
Fleming for obvious reasons didn't want to go with a senior QB. Then Vazzano came into camp heavy, so McKoy won the job by default.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Mroz is totally done this year as of a week ago. Spoke with him after game,he has a "triad" knee injury.
Had he played,would have put 40 on the cubbies. He had as much chance of playing against Brown as Joe Namath or Johnny U.
Going for medical RS. McKoy ran his usual QB draws for 2 yards.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Go Rhody!!!
Way to go boys.
Sorry I couldn't be there,
but I was checking the score...
Very happy to get the win and
beat the Bears...
Now let's go get some more...