Harvard line up

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Re: Harvard line up

Unread post by RIFan »

isn't this current class his 3-4th...all while being committed to the CAA? there is no reason we should still be expecting 1-2 wins at this point.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Exactly. People like ramster have been singing the praises of every one of Fleming's recruiting classes, talking about how much better they are than what Trainer brought in. That first group are juniors, it's not like the whole team are freshman. And we're as bad as last year so far, and we don't seem capable of three wins, which Fleming did three times.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:Exactly. People like ramster have been singing the praises of every one of Fleming's recruiting classes, talking about how much better they are than what Trainer brought in. That first group are juniors, it's not like the whole team are freshman. And we're as bad as last year so far, and we don't seem capable of three wins, which Fleming did three times.

That total bull......
This year's class was rated #2 even though the gorhody site and people on this board say it was #1.
The other years have not been rated high at all.
Only this year did a talk highly about the recruiting class

I predicted 2 wins in the preseason poll......
Said I'd be satisfied with 1 win
People are delusional predicting 4-6 wins

So how is that overly optimistic?

This team has a long way to go.

Stop making things up

And yes if they win zero games I will not be happy but will NOT want the program dropped.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I hear people say
"Why hasn't Fleming turned this around yet? It's been 4 or 5 years since we recommitted to the CAA etc."
Not only has it been difficult to make ground after the Northeast decision, but we are trying to make winners out of monumental losers. We've only had what 2 winning seasons in 30 years??
The fact that we haven't been able to win before the northeast decision plays a part as to why it's taking so long to get going. Fleming needs a lot more time.
Now I don't know if he's all that great either, because these guys looks worse than last year at this point.
But unless Nick Saban walked through those doors, it would take a whole lot to get the program rolling.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote:I hear people say
"Why hasn't Fleming turned this around yet? It's been 4 or 5 years since we recommitted to the CAA etc."
Not only has it been difficult to make ground after the Northeast decision, but we are trying to make winners out of monumental losers. We've only had what 2 winning seasons in 30 years??
The fact that we haven't been able to win before the northeast decision plays a part as to why it's taking so long to get going. Fleming needs a lot more time.
Now I don't know if he's all that great either, because these guys looks worse than last year at this point.
But unless Nick Saban walked through those doors, it would take a whole lot to get the program rolling.
All valid points.
So what's your recommendation?

Mine will never be to drop the program.
I think you have to recruit well and the AD has to make a decision at the end of this season on the Coaching staff.
We have UNH and Brown at home coming up.
The season is not over yet.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

ramster wrote:
All valid points.
So what's your recommendation?

Mine will never be to drop the program.
I think you have to recruit well and the AD has to make a decision at the end of this season on the Coaching staff.
We have UNH and Brown at home coming up.
The season is not over yet.
I went and saw Bryant play Brown today. Brown looked very good. Big wideouts, strong defensive line, and I was impressed with their QB. That will be a tough game.
Also, UNH is receiving top 25 votes in the latest polls.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Despite whatever, Stowers scored often.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Stowers was a proven winner when he came to Kingston.

For some reason though, his teams forgot to play defense after a while......

We don't have anybody near his level coaching this team now.

Even though guys like ramster aren't ready to give up on Fleming, imo the jury is about to read the verdict on him, and it's not going to end well.......

A year, maybe two?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

The issue is if you got rid of him who in their right mind would come here to replace him? Only way to sell a coach on this program would be if you had an infrastructure overhaul underway.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

This program is a tumor
0 x
Clapton is God
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I think people would be much more understanding if we could at least get to the point of looking like we field a team that belongs on a college football field. As it is now, we can't even do that. Hell we're at a point where losing by single digits to literally any team would be an accomplishment.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Stowers was a proven winner when he came to Kingston.

For some reason though, his teams forgot to play defense after a while......

We don't have anybody near his level coaching this team now.

Even though guys like ramster aren't ready to give up on Fleming, imo the jury is about to read the verdict on him, and it's not going to end well.......

A year, maybe two?
What I said as that "the AD needs to review the performance of the coaching staff at the end of the season and make a decision".

I don't think that says I am not ready to give up on Fleming. Let the AD do the job he is paid to do and review th Coaching staff.

It's like blaming Jim Baron for staying at URi for 12 years, sure, but the real blame on Baron was his boss and bosses boss keeping him around.

What I am NOT ready to do is drop football or lower the level of conference we play in. Not even remotely close to ever going there.

Dan Hurley is just fine, he and the basketball program do not need footballs' money. URI needs a football team.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

ramster, URI pays Fleming and his staff nothing compared to what most others in the CAA are making.

I've said this before. You get what you pay for.

Fleming makes assistant coach money in that regard. His assistants make little more than water boy money.

That's a big part of the issues here.

There's a lack of talent not just on the field, but on the sidelines. Like others have said, the problems run deep here.

Football teams are only as good as their organizations. That's fact, from the NFL on down.

Why are the Pats always so good? The above is why.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

This is URI football in a nutshell. Why do people think the program will improve when there are no discernible changes made? As rambone 78 wrote above, you get what you pay for. URI operates its football program on a shoestring budget with subpar facilities. Unless URI goes full in and invests in the program and totally supports it, you will see the same results year after year (which has already been the case now for near 25 years).
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And if you drop the program you will see the same results year after year too

Fix the problem, definitely, but dropping it fixes nothing
0 x
Shane D
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Shane D »

ramster wrote:This year's class was rated #2 even though the gorhody site and people on this board say it was #1.
Hi Ramster,

Just to clarify, the initial rankings from 247sports.com had the class ranked No. 2 in the CAA. However, as more players were added over the summer, the rankings were updated, and Rhode Island was indeed moved up to No. 1.

Here is the link:
http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Footba ... erence=CAA

Shane
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

#1 class, and what has changed? I know they're freshmen, but some improvement please?

Will it matter if we get a couple more top recruiting classes?

Will it show on the field? Will they be "coached up" enough to matter?

Coaching does matter in football. Big time. You need the whole package.

Like I've said, I don't think a staff on the cheap will turn things around.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Re: Harvard line upire

Unread post by ramster »

Shane D wrote:
ramster wrote:This year's class was rated #2 even though the gorhody site and people on this board say it was #1.
Hi Ramster,

Just to clarify, the initial rankings from 247sports.com had the class ranked No. 2 in the CAA. However, as more players were added over the summer, the rankings were updated, and Rhode Island was indeed moved up to No. 1.

Here is the link:
http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Footba ... erence=CAA

Shane
Shane,
Thanks for that.

I guess a reminder is this is #1 in the CAA not the entire FCS but still a descent accomplishment.

UNH and Brown games upcoming will be tough be telling. Both at home.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Shane,
Here is where I saw the #2 so I can understand recruiting continuing.
What I dint understand is that the final 24/7 list has only 9 players listed. So where are all the rest as we had over 20
0 x
Shane D
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Shane D »

Ramster,

It's a good question about why only nine of the players are listed, and I don't have a good answer for that.

I can tell you that 14 players who joined the team this year have played significant snaps in at least two, if not all three, of the games so far.

Harold Buckner III - started three games at WR
Aaron Parker - starts at wide receiver
Raees Johnson - starter at right guard
Sam Benjamin - a regular at wide receiver and a key kick coverage guy
Rashad Dickerson - Played in all three games with one start at corner
Danny Harry, Jr. - regular part of DLine rotation
William Mack III - regular part of DLine rotation
Brandon Ginnetti - regular part of DLine rotation
Myles Ross - part of the special teams cover units, backup safety
Oliver Graybar - is the team's punter
Joey Kenny - Key on special teams, starting to see snaps on offense
Shane Olson - walk-on from Hendricken, appeared in two games, stepped in when Hogan got injured at Harvard
Keith Coleman, Jr. - backup guard, plays on field goals/extra points
Kyle Murphy - backup center/guard, plays on field goals/extra points

By my count, there are another 14 new players who still have redshirt eligibility for this season because they have not appeared in any games. Several of them are expected to be major contributors down the road.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Shane D wrote:Ramster,

It's a good question about why only nine of the players are listed, and I don't have a good answer for that.

I can tell you that 14 players who joined the team this year have played significant snaps in at least two, if not all three, of the games so far.

Harold Buckner III - started three games at WR
Aaron Parker - starts at wide receiver
Raees Johnson - starter at right guard
Sam Benjamin - a regular at wide receiver and a key kick coverage guy
Rashad Dickerson - Played in all three games with one start at corner
Danny Harry, Jr. - regular part of DLine rotation
William Mack III - regular part of DLine rotation
Brandon Ginnetti - regular part of DLine rotation
Myles Ross - part of the special teams cover units, backup safety
Oliver Graybar - is the team's punter
Joey Kenny - Key on special teams, starting to see snaps on offense
Shane Olson - walk-on from Hendricken, appeared in two games, stepped in when Hogan got injured at Harvard
Keith Coleman, Jr. - backup guard, plays on field goals/extra points
Kyle Murphy - backup center/guard, plays on field goals/extra points

By my count, there are another 14 new players who still have redshirt eligibility for this season because they have not appeared in any games. Several of them are expected to be major contributors down the road.
Shane,
Can you provide a list of the 14 who have not appeared yet?
Of the new players they have really impacted the receiving starters and defensive line starters. Punter is also new and was on the Arizona roster.

Do you think any of the 14 will play eventually this year? Which players, if any?

I think with some 28 or so players at URI new this year, yet only 9 listed on the 247 that listed Rhody's class as #1, I'd have big doubts as the the accuracy of that #1 ranking. Not saying we are better or worse than the 247 ranking but something seems way off.
0 x
Shane D
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Shane D »

Ramster,

Here are the 15 newcomers who have yet to appear (in numerical order). There are 14 freshmen and 1 JuCo...

17 - QB Vito Priore
26 - DB Kwadir Brown
34 - S AJ Baxter
42 - RB Sean Chatman
49 - DB Jerome Evans
53 - LB Will Daniels
58 - OL Jahmir Ross Johnson
60 - LS Joe DeLeone
65 - OL Sean Anderson
66 - P Evan McHugh
71 - OL Kevin Lawrence
81 - WR Ja'Quan Buffaloe
85 - TE Anthony Christian
93 - Andre Bibeault
97 - DL Geoff Horwitz (a JuCo transfer)*

The most likely to see time this season would be Horwtiz on the Dline or DeLeone at long snapper, if anything were to happen with Curry (the current snapper). Most of these guys are scout team players at this point and would benefit from preserving the year of eligibility while they adjust to this level. Look at a guy like Dwayne Scott, who is a redshirt freshman at center. He already is the anchor of a vastly improved offensive line. He's one of the strongest guys on the team, and getting the chance to watch for a year behind Gallogly last year has paid major dividends. Watch him play, and you wouldn't think it was a kid with three games under his belt.

CB Momodou Mbye, DT Tyrone Barge and Nate Pauls (TE who plays special teams) are three more who redshirted a year ago who are seeing regular snaps now after adjusting last year. Mbye is extremely athletic and is still new to the position, but you can see the talent. Vazzano is another one who saved a year and obviously has the potential to make a major impact.

I'm not saying all the kids are stars by any stretch. But in football more than most sports, giving a kid a year to develop physically and mentally can pay off.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Shane,
Thank you. Great information.
And word how how recruiting is looking for 2017? How is the staff feeling about 2017 recruiting and how the team looks for next year?
Do you think Vazzano might get a start soon? What are your thoughts on him?
0 x
Shane D
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Shane D »

Hi Ramster,

Hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, but I'll avoid the recruiting question. I generally don't get involved with recruiting information until much closer to signing day. There are so many moving parts, plus recruiting is also such a hairy area from a compliance standpoint in terms of what can and can't be said, it's safer for several reasons in my role to be more conservative.

In terms of QB, Fleming announced on his CAA conference call this morning that Mroz will get the start this week, with McKoy and Vazzano being 2a and 2b. Mroz is a veteran and tough kid whose injury last season was rough timing, as it came during the win over Delaware last season, when he seemed to have turned a corner a bit, only to suffer a season-ending injury.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Shane, what's the word on a new stadium? Any sort of rumblings there?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Thank you. Good decision is give Mroz the start.
Interesting how UNH lost to fellow New Hamphire team Dartmouth on Saturday.
Dartmouth had not beaten UNH in the last 20 games going 0-18-2.
Hopefully we can get a win against UNH then prepare for Brown
0 x
Shane D
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Shane D »

STC wrote:Shane, what's the word on a new stadium? Any sort of rumblings there?
STC,

Nothing imminent that I am aware of. Certainly there are items in discussion, but nothing in terms of specifics at this point.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

Just a heads up, our latest podcast episode will be up tomorrow evening. We will discuss URI vs. Harvard, Bryant vs. Brown, and preview their games coming up this weekend. Check us out, the link is in this discussion. If you do listen, let me know what you think! Thanks guys.
0 x