Albany line up!!

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Albany line up!!

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

Albany at Rhode Island
09/10/2016
01:00 PM (EST)
Rhode Island
+7½ -120 -310
+230 Over 40½ -120
Under 40½ -120
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Albany line up!!

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Houses anyone? :?
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Albany beat MAC member Buffalo (FBS/1A) last week 22-16.
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

OBRAM wrote:Albany has a real football stadium
http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticl ... =211047790
We know, the rams broke up their opening day party :P
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody down a touchdown 14-7 in the third. Just had a huge sack and fumble and had the ball in the red zone, but shot themselves in the foot the customary 10 times to avoid scoring.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Just like that we're down 28-7. Horrible QB. Dumb team mistakes. URI football is something else.
They continue to be able to hang around for a half or a little over a half and then they implode and just look terrible.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

No clue why the coach hasn't pulled the QB.
The kid isn't a QB yet, he can't make basic throws and is too short.
His athleticism isnt elite enough to overcome all the other deficiencies.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote:No clue why the coach hasn't pulled the QB.
The kid isn't a QB yet, he can't make basic throws and is too short.
His athleticism isnt elite enough to overcome all the other deficiencies.

The two times I saw him throw down field it was picked off.
Go with Vazzano.

Oh shit another pick 6!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Every year we seem to" lead the world " in turnovers.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Not good...left at 28-7...would've probably left earlier if I had remembered that the Sox were on...

Multiple self-inflicted 'are you kidding me?'s' Going to be a lonnnng season.
0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Get rid of the program.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

OBRAM wrote:Albany has a real football stadium
http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticl ... =211047790
They also have a really football team ... unlike URI. Outcoached and outplayed
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

I've been a huge fan of the program since my days there but this is just down right awful. I've had multiple arguments on why we need this program with my friends and fellow alumni but I'm at the point now where it's time. Without a huge push from the admin and the money to do it, it'll never climb out of this abyss. Starting to strongly believe the fat lady has sung!! Take the money spent each year and build an outdoor track, enhance Beck Field, maybe even bring back gymnastics if hockey isn't an option! All will be much more rewarding than this crap! #frustratedRhodyfootballfan
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

So the team picked to finish second to last in the preseason, right ahead of us, just beat us 35-7 at home. Off to a great start.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote:So the team picked to finish second to last in the preseason, right ahead of us, just beat us 35-7 at home. Off to a great start.
Yes, and it was a real spanking....I wish I could say it seemed closer in person...but it didn't....
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Not surprised this team had 4 terrible turnovers again today. Just terrible. Take care of the ball and keep things close. That's their only chance
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote:
adam914 wrote:So the team picked to finish second to last in the preseason, right ahead of us, just beat us 35-7 at home. Off to a great start.
Yes, and it was a real spanking....I wish I could say it seemed closer in person...but it didn't....
I thought they played even for most of the first half, but when they get the TD on 4th down with about 1:40 left was disheartening. I think Albany outsmarted us on that play. Second half was awful. I left when it was 28-7.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We have a QB who can not throw the ball.

Sooner or later, he'll get hurt and Vaccaro will have to play.

If he's worse, then this team will be lucky to win 2 games.

It's obvious, to me anyway, that the admin is waiting to see solid improvement before they commit to any major upgrades.

By the looks of things, that improvement isn't happening.

The coaching leaves a lot to be desired also. Not just a lack of talent on the field.

How much longer will this be allowed to go on?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

How the hell did this quarterback win the starting job in the first place? It just blows my mind how a state school this size with other successful/competitive programs could be this bad. Does that make any sense? Seriously, no explanation.
0 x
GO RAMS
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Very disheartening to say he least.
I was hoping to see some improvement, even for a young team.
My question is still this.
What is UNH, Maine, Stony Brook, Albany Bryant (Northeast Schools) doing that we are not doing.
Ask Albany or Bryant if they wish then never had a football program, I don't think they would even have that question come up.

I still think the problem starts at Facilities and the Administration support,
and the more important question, if Albany, Bryant can be more successful I have to question the whole
Administration at URI in all endeavors, if we can't be more successful at football, what else is being mismanaged?
Nothing has changes since Stowers came in. Any recruit who things of coming to URI football will never get excited about the football facilities.

At least our Punting game seem pretty good.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

At least this week they converted on the PAT. #1 recruiting class in the CAA, gonna need a few more of those, and then hopefully they can start to see some wins. Freshmen are going to have a tough time winning in this league. I saw most of the first half, but missed the first turnover when they had gotten into the red zone. They must stop putting the ball on the ground! Albany seemed to get huge chunks of yards on draw plays and some other handoffs up the middle, but Rhody came up with a big stop on one possession, and was hanging tough. Obviously the two pick-6's when they were down and had to try to force things were fatal. But looking simply at the first half, the two teams were more than competitive. And that in itself is a long way from where Rhody football has been for most of the last ten years.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rhodyrudder wrote:But looking simply at the first half, the two teams were more than competitive. And that in itself is a long way from where Rhody football has been for most of the last ten years.
Couldn't disagree with this point more, as a matter of fact this has been how the programs been since day one under Fleming. His first game was against Marshall, I don't hold that against him. Second game we give up 30 unanswered in the third quarter to Fordham. Third game, against Albany, we're up two touchdowns early, then give up at least 30 unanswered. Yesterday, tie game, give up 28 unanswered including 21 points in 3 minutes and 54 seconds. Yesterday is exactly how most of our games have played out since Fleming started here.

Fleming might be improving the talent level, but can he do anything with it? There are big time coaching issues here. This team treats the football like Oprah treated cars and as soon as things start to go bad they blow up. The complete inability of Fleming to stop the bleeding is a huge issue and points to him being overmatched.

And things don't seem to be getting any better. Go back and read last year's Albany thread if you don't believe me. They were picked to finish one spot ahead of us, put up 28 in a row and cruised to an easy win. Sound familiar?

For those looking to use the NEC crutch, Albany is in just their fourth season out of the NEC. The last three years they've beaten us by a combined score of 107-34. They've averaged more per game against us in these three games then we've scored total. Just not at all competitive against a team that isn't that great and dealt with all of the same scholarship issues we supposedly did.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Well, maybe it's just because I left at halftime, which I almost never do.
Had I seen the second half in person, my impression would almost certainly have been more sour.
As I said, the fumble in the red zone was brutal and the td right before the half was a killer.
I didn't see many games last year because of my schedule, so I can't comment on a pattern of them
hanging tough for a while and then collapsing. If that is the case, then maybe nothing is different after all.

What I am saying is: I did see some positives. The kid hurdling a would-be tackler at the 4-yard line would've made ESPN's top plays if we were FBS, and it wasn't a blowout from the get-go, which is how a lot of games have been over the last decade. I have been downright disgusted with the program at more than a few times, but I feel more optimistic now. Talk to me after the brown game and maybe I will not be this content.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: For those looking to use the NEC crutch, Albany is in just their fourth season out of the NEC. The last three years they've beaten us by a combined score of 107-34. They've averaged more per game against us in these three games then we've scored total. Just not at all competitive against a team that isn't that great and dealt with all of the same scholarship issues we supposedly did.
This is very telling. I didn't know that about Albany.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

And what's made two years ago and yesterday so frustrating is it's not as if Albany has been good since they moved up yet we're still getting whipped at home. Since the start of 2014 they're 3-0 against us and the average score is 35.7-11.3. Blowout City. Against everyone else in the CAA they're 3-11 and their average game is a 30.7-20.4 loss. They've been competitive compared to how we've fared, but don't be confused by how they've played us, they're a bottom feeder.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Some thoughts about yesterday
1. Fairly decent crowd, especially on the east side. However I' d say 60 percent of the students left at halftime.
2. Sat in section 9 on the west. If they sold more season tickets this year, I didn't see them.
Also it is okay to stand when we score or recover a fumble. It was embarrassing that I was one of the few who did so.
3. What is up with Cooper? Very limited activity
4. starting quarterback needs work - I'm being nice. Better off as a running back than quarterback.
5. Defense played better than the score. D backs played well and all eleven pursued the ball. Can't win many games when your offense scores 7 and gives up the ball 4 times.
6. Team is now on the east side - any reason why
7. Season ticket holder since 75 and I'm getting tired of it. That in itself is a warning for the coaches to get their act together.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote:. The kid hurdling a would-be tackler at the 4-yard line would've made ESPN's top plays if we were FBS, .

THAT play was awesome
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

neil wrote:Some thoughts about yesterday
6. Team is now on the east side - any reason why
I think Terry said on the radio that when they won, they were on the east side.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

A huge problem I have is the offensive play calling. I understand you need a good quarterback and talent on that side of the ball to be creative, but come on. Yesterday we ran the same dive play every first down. 5 straight dives on first down. Why can't we mix it up?
On McKoy, he cannot see the field again. First two games: 11 for 38 for 108 yards with 1TD and 4 INTS. Why did it take so long for them to try someone else?
The only positive I can take from this season so far is TJ Anderson. He is a hard runner and has made the best of his opportunity with Cooper sidelined. I like him, we should feed him the ball more. Possibly throw in some play action if teams have to respect our run game.
However, thats the only positive I have. This will be another long season.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I'm still very much against cancelling this program for a few reasons, but It' not possible to suck anymore. There has to be closed door discussions with the AD about the final scores of these games and possible solutions.
0 x
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

neil wrote:3. What is up with Cooper? Very limited activity
He's hurt. Would love to use that as an excuse but their running game was actually pretty solid on Saturday. It was the "everything else" part that was bad.
0 x