Great article on NDSU and what it takes to build program

Talk about all other Rhody teams, from Baseball to Indoor Track.
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Great article on NDSU and what it takes to build program

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

http://www.campusrush.com/north-dakota- ... 46374.html

Mudra identified a formula that remains paramount to college athletics: Winning requires investment, on and off the field. "He changed the culture here," Simmers says. "He raised capital before anybody else was raising capital. He raised money. And they worked hard and got tough kids."

Adds Klieman: "We're a developmental program. We don't take many transfers. We're taking kids that are freshmen and getting them invested in the program so they don't want to leave."
0 x
josephski
Tom Garrick

Re: Great article on NDSU and what it takes to build program

Unread post by josephski »

Good read, thanks for posting. The main thing that stood out to me was that the president in the 1960s wanted to improve the football program and made the effort to do that. Sounds like they weren't afraid to invest money into the program.

Also I think schools that are in the middle of no where such as North Dakota have an easier time getting fans. When you're not very close to any professional team then people in that area who are sports fans usually support the local school. It's probably similar to how if you live in Syracuse then you're probably a Syracuse basketball fan and if you live in Kentucky you probably either follow Louisville or Kentucky.

With that said it just seems like North Dakota cares more about their athletics in general than us. They have one of the best d1 hockey teams in the nation and one of the best fcs teams. They also have the fourth winningest program in d2 basketball history and recently moved up to d1 so I wouldn't be surprised if they're eventually one of the better mid major basketball teams.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Their Men's basketball team has been to the dance three times and won one game in the ten years they have been division 1.
They seem to always be near the top in the summit league.
Wouldn't be surprising if they really started to flourish.
I wonder if they'll go FBS with football. I'm sure they could afford it better than UMass
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

PeterRamTime wrote: I wonder if they'll go FBS with football. I'm sure they could afford it better than UMass

All that fracking money in ND. It is presently a boom state.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Except that oil prices have declined so the boom has cooled off.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

Investment in their football program started before fracking. Also, when you get out of the Northeast, states and residents support their state schools, CT not withstanding. URI has to face an uphill battle. Despite the fact that the State does not support URI much compared to just about every other State University, ask just about any Joe or Jill on the Street and they don't think that is the case. Joe and Jill hate anything that is connected to Rhode Island State government. They would not believe you when you tell them that URI gets 7% of budget from the State, and most people think the Dunk was build by Dunkin Donuts and not the State of RI. It is a shame that URI has to rely on Bonds funding to get new buildings, this should just be funded in the budget annually.
0 x
Hal Kopp
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Hal Kopp »

How does RI compare in state funding to URI vs. the other states?
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

I would think near the bottom. UNH is very low, URI is low near UNH. I think UNH seems to do more with its money. When I visited in 2000 things seemed in good shape. URI had the Ryan Center , UHN had hockey rink and Weight Training area. Now UNH is putting money into Stadium. Colorado I believe cut money for Higher Ed. Colorado may have a low Higher Ed budget per capiita per income than RI or NH, but I am not sure.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Just read where #1 FSC Ranked North Dakota State University will play 9 of their 11 games indoors this season. They will host Delaware on September 22.

- 7 of the 9 will be played on their Home Field in the Fargo Dome. Holds 19K and was built in 1992
- NDSU will play University of Northern Illinois in the UNI-Dome which holds 16,320 and was built in 1976
- NDSU will play South Dakota State in Vermillion SD in the Dakota Dome which holds 10,000 and was built in 1979
0 x